• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it summed things up very well.

We have people here discussing in detail on GBF Season 1's merits and TRY's failings and people just hand-waved it way by pretty much saying "They're both entertaining and dumb", completely missing the point.
What I see too is people ignoring season's one flaws and calling Try bad for the same ignored flaws. I mean this is subject got talked over some many times with no one accepting each others arguement already. So after one exchange it's easy to see that at this point this started only to spite Try again.

So what point am I missing?

What I see too is people ignoring season's one flaws and calling Try bad for the same ignored flaws. I mean this is subject got talked over some many times with no one accepting each others arguement already. So after one exchange it's easy to see that at this point this started only to spite Try again.

So what point am I missing?

The point that you're missing is that whatever flaws GBF S1 may have had, they were greatly alleviated by the good character writing and world-building, which in turn made the fights, characters, setting and the whole show in general engaging.

When GBF TRY removes that good character writing and world-building, those flaws that S1 had become more apparent and grating.

We expected TRY to go forward but instead it went backwards.

Everything in GBF S1 felt deserved while everything in TRY felt completely undeserved.

You can't defend TRY just by saying: "But GBF S1 did this too therefore they're both the same!" while ignoring the points made about why S1 was good and TRY wasn't.

TRY's fights are far more boring to watch then GBF's at any point in between each show. And to top it off, the episodes not about battles in TRY are so much worse then GBF's. Try was also just worse production wise.

Try got way too up its own ass without ever earning it. Far too many rival characters introduced so the buildup was both short and hardly mattered, far worse character writing and dialogue, and straight up "what the hell were they thinking" stuff like Lady Meijin (what?) and Gyanko almost dying cuz she lost a gunpla battle. I seem to remember something about a wrist hurting for no reason other then adding cliffhanger drama too. And it wasn't like in S1 where you saw Reiji's wrist get hurt on screen.

The best parts of Try nearly universally involved GBF s1 characters, like Meijin descending from the sky and somehow resurrecting a dead flower or Nils going to space and making more plavsky particles.

yntwSkk.png

Shots fired you deviants.

petran79

Banned
Fair enough, makes sense.

As somebody who doesn't watch a ton of anime, is there much else that you or anyone else would recommend that scratches the same sort of itch? I don't know if I can identify why, but Rakugo feels similar to Planetes, Usagi Drop, and Sakamichi no Apollon to me.

Except the recommendations above, my top pick would be Animated Classics of Japanese Literature. There is nothing similar in animated TV series. Contains famous novel adaptations of various genres. Historic drama, slice of life, murder mystery, fairy tales, comedy, drama, romance etc

Takes place in both past and present. Perhaps the most ambitious series, marred only by the short TV format.

BY Nippon Animation, of World Masterpiece Theater and Smart-san fame.

I finished Stein's Gate last night after I got off from work. Overall I thought it was really enjoyable. Okabe's development throughout the series in response to the tragedy he was experience was rather stronger, and an extra kudos to the writers for having a predominantly female supporting cast without having any of them coming off as shallow waifu-bait. I also really dug the chemistry between Okabe and Kurisu. It's really rare for me to come out of an anime really loving a pairing but I loved just about every interaction between the two, which made the last couple of episodes really worth the investment.

If I had any complaint it's again that I thought the Ruka storyline was rather hit or miss. Like the actually conclusion to episode 18 was ok, but the handling of it was still pretty shaky.

Cornbread78

I finished Stein's Gate last night after I got off from work. Overall I thought it was really enjoyable. Okabe's development throughout the series in response to the tragedy he was experience was rather stronger, and an extra kudos to the writers for having a predominantly female supporting cast without having any of them coming off as shallow waifu-bait.

If I had any complaint it's again that I thought the Ruka storyline was rather hit or miss. Like the actually conclusion to episode 18 was ok, but the handling of it was still pretty shaky.

Did you watch the OVA yet?

The point that you're missing is that whatever flaws GBF S1 may have had, they were greatly alleviated by the good character writing and world-building, which in turn made the fights, characters, setting and the whole show in general engaging.

When GBF TRY removes that good character writing and world-building, those flaws that S1 had become more apparent and grating.

We expected TRY to go forward but instead it went backwards.

Everything in GBF S1 felt deserved while everything in TRY felt completely undeserved.

You can't defend TRY just by saying: "But GBF S1 did this too therefore they're both the same!" while ignoring the points made about why S1 was good and TRY wasn't.
But that's the thing! I liked the characters interactions a bunch and found all of them super likeable. Gyanko and Fumina's love competitons for Sekai were super fun too watch. Sakai and Yuuma's friendly rivalry were super cool to watch and their dynamic was imo well done. And undeserved battles? Bad world building? I think at this point either your hate is too strong or you are hyperbolic but Try's world was good. Every character arc was well done and had a good ending. Shimon's arc being one of my favorites. That episode brought tears to my eyes.

All the battles were super hype too! Sekai's burning passion always brought the hype for me and all is battles were awesome.

I mean I could go on and on and you could go on and on, but I just think that most of the critism, while yes valid, is just overblown at this point and I can't agree with it.

But the MAIN thing I just can't agree with is how you guys say the show's lack passion...did we watch the same show?

convo

Konosuba Season 2, Episode 9:

I think the bigger surprised is how this sort of thing doesn't happen to the party even more often.

If they travelled more often to other towns then i'm sure they'd have multiple angry mobs chasing them all the time. And it would all be Aqua's fault.

But that's the thing! I liked the characters interactions a bunch and found all of them super likeable. Gyanko and Fumina's love competitons for Sekai were super fun too watch. Sakai and Yuuma's friendly rivalry were super cool to watch and their dynamic was imo well done.

Okay, let's break things down even more then.

1. Gyanko and Fumina's love interest for Sekai.

Yes, because if there's one thing GBF really needed, it was harem love triangle shenanigans.

GBF season 1 gave everyone their respective ship/partner, and left it at that. Sei with China, Reiji with Aila, Feilini and Kiara, etc. THESE were interesting because not once in the show was there a single case of will they/won't they.

There wasn't any time wasted with pointless bickering and teasing about who was going to be shipped with who.

They set them up, and developed them properly.

2. Sakai and Yuuma's Rivalry

This would have been way more interesting if these characters had their roles swapped. Sakai should've been the one of the MCs on Team Try Fighters as this super passionate guy who makes a Super Robot out of a ZZ Gundam with Yuuma being this boring dude who just adds crap to a Zeta.

Because Yuuma isn't interesting as a MC. He's a stick-in-the-mud who's got the hots for Sekai's big sis.

That's all he is.

3. Bad world building

Remember how S1 ended with one massive particle explosion where everybody turned their Gundams to life and had one big mega-brawl to save Gunpla and there were evil mini fake Gundams and shit?

Now remember how TRY ended with...just everybody fighting with Gunpla together. That's it. You know why? Because the show did absolutely zilch with the world that S1 had set up and just sort of boiled down to a bunch of people doing stuff in it without expanding on it.

It's a downgrade in every sense of the word.

4. Everything else

I think at this point either your hate is too strong or you are hyperbolic but Try's world was good. Every character arc was well done and had a good ending. Shimon's arc being one of my favorites. That episode brought tears to my eyes.

All the battles were super hype too! Sekai's burning passion always brought the hype for me and all is battles were awesome.

I mean I could go on and on and you could go on and on, but I just think that most of the critism, while yes valid, is just overblown at this point and I can't agree with it.

But the MAIN thing I just can't agree with is how you guys say the show's lack passion...did we watch the same show?

I don't even know how else to respond to you here because at this point you're just repeating the fact that you liked the show and you think the things I'm saying are bad are good because of reasons. You can't call my complaints hyperbolic when all your points basically boil down to: "This is good! This made me cry!" without backing those points up by saying WHY you felt that way.

Look, there's nothing wrong with feeling super passionate and enjoying a show a bunch of people disliked, but if you're going to call people out on being hyperbolic for disliking it you better have points to back up your argument other than just saying: "I liked this and this was good." immediately after someone listed a bunch of reasons why they thought that wasn't the case.

Honestly I don't really feel like arguing more then that on a subject that's been discussed so many times already. I don't feel that strongly about Try or GBF in general other then thinking they are both good shows. Your hate for it runs to deep for me.
And I want to play Zelda.

jgminto

GBF Try is one of the few shows that makes me actively mad every time I think about it. The new staff clearly didn't understand what made the original enjoyable past cool Gunpla and references to mainline Gundam shows.

hampig

Except the recommendations above, my top pick would be Animated Classics of Japanese Literature. There is nothing similar in animated TV series. Contains famous novel adaptations of various genres. Historic drama, slice of life, murder mystery, fairy tales, comedy, drama, romance etc

Takes place in both past and present. Perhaps the most ambitious series, marred only by the short TV format.

BY Nippon Animation, of World Masterpiece Theater and Smart-san fame.

Huh cool. The idea reminds me of that one series with the 5 minute scary stories. Don't remember the name, but I loved that one.

Cornbread78

Vampire Knight ep.3
Zero you bastard...how could you! She is a stupid girl, but no way does she deserve
to become a vampire now because of you!

GBF Try is one of the few shows that makes me actively mad every time I think about it. The new staff clearly didn't understand what made the original enjoyable past cool Gunpla and references to mainline Gundam shows.

I think they kind of did, at least in the beginning. I still think fondly of the first episode of Try because it had decent production values and was pretty hype with the hot blooded Dom and the Build Burning Gundam emerging from it. It was a good prologue /teaser for something that could have been as good as S1, but then it all just went downhill from there

NeonZ

Not even that. Somehow Try is very lacking in references, aside from the various models displayed, of course. But backgrounds cameos, design references for minor pilots, or characters talking about elements from the original shows themselves were all very limited in Try compared to the original GBF.

rrvv

Not even that. Somehow Try is very lacking in references, aside from the various models displayed, of course. But backgrounds cameos, design references for minor pilots, or characters talking about elements from the original shows themselves were all very limited in Try compared to the original GBF.

Pretty much my biggest issue. they should wait for few years to gather some referenced before making a new season

Cardfight!! Vanguard G NEXT Episode 13 engdub
C6b2hx8XEAAiwnA.jpg:small

Part 2 of the Trinity Dragon's redemption miniarc...and it was epic. I kind of found myself hoping the plot would throw us and make Trinity Dragon actually win but well plot. Carl had phenomenal performance against poor Taiyou,and then Tsuneto, wow he really managed to do well. Their flashbacks with him asking Kamui for help in training so they could level up left me wanting oh so much more. I wish they had expanded on it, it look so awesome and they went from being like joke loser to really have their own fans and being shop heroes. It was inspiring.

Tsuneto really used awesome cards from their IRL booster set. Favorites were easily the new Oracle Think Tanks, like Sun of Eternity, Amaterasu. As well as others like Deity Spirit Loyalist, Ikutsu-hikone, and Spiritual Sword of Rough Deity, Susanoo. Best was easily the last one, Dragon Destroyer Battle Deity, Kamususanoo

This cardfight was just phenomenal. So many seasons in and vanguard remains the best.
C6bu0QDXQAEEej0.jpg:small
C6btQ47WABoAX3S.jpg:small

C6bt3F2WYAAGBmf.jpg:small
C6bwLKXWgAA5jKA.jpg:small

NeonZ

Kemono Friends 9

This episode did something fairly weird - directly referencing events from the game, but also... not really.
"Mirai" is a character from the original mobile game, and the voice talking with her, which Serval recognized, is almost certainly the game version of Serval, who had a different VA. There was also a similar incident in the game with them going for the first time to a hotspring in that very same location.

Mirai even also went into an essay about the Cerulians eating Friends at that point, although the actual explanation was different from the anime's - the game explanation focused on the Cerulian's ability to copy things or take characteristics of what they eat, an element that doesn't seem to exist in the anime. And they were also said to be after a general "light" of others, rather than specifically Sandstar.

Aside from that story bit, the bgm they played for the arcade game also was from the mobile one.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Akiba's Trip finally won this week as Maid Dragon and Konosuba have run up against creative walls with dull scenarios that fail to leverage the strengths of the characters. Maid Dragon in particular is really a victim of its single note character jokes, but its attempts at using a greater drama to tie everything together are equally simplistic and repetitive. These almost pathetic emotional pleas to the audience to care about these characters have just become exhausting.

Cornbread78

Engaged to the Unidentified ep.11-END
Not sure how I feel about this in the end. The comedy was alright, but the ship was meh. They didn't actually even really ship the main pair very much and the comedy nor the characters were good enough to support the rest of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom