• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future Boy Conan 24-25

The animation and art throughout these climactic episodes was very strong. It's been strong throughout the show, but it really shone here in depicting the intensity of the situation. The color shift at the final sinking of Industria was awe-inspiring.

It's interesting how strongly driven home the message of "Science and technology were all a mistake" is here as the series winds up. It's not uncommon for science fiction to tackle the downsides of unchecked scientific research and technological development, of course, but rarely have I seen such as a strong anti-science perspective taken as in Future Boy Conan.

Akiba 10
TekKau9.jpg
Haha, did those restaurants pay the show for all that advertising? Comparatively, this episode was a lot less wacky than the previous ones, but still fun and cute because of Mayo finally getting some focus.

Thoraxes

Oh god. Hopefully it's only in the credits so I can peace out before it starts playing.

True, but I'm in Chicago right now. Everything is too damn high.

Oh, I was gonna say the ones in the burbs are a little cheaper. I'm assuming you must be near the Music Box then.

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 12 FIN

What a strange experience, especially coming off the more comical seasons. There's nothing really standout in this as it's a show that forever exists on the cusp of distinguishing itself yet never quite manages to even with the relatively heartwarming tale of Alice & Kazumi coming together to realize their dream and all those that supported them. Were I bit more honest with myself, this doesn't even really add much to the Milky Holmes anime experience yet I've a predilection toward what was attempted here as the world was expanded and a different type of story was attempted to be told. It didn't really succeed and is nowhere near the gold standards like 0080 or Mellowlink yet I appreciate the effort and think I'd be a little worse off if properties didn't attempt this sort of thing from time to time. I suppose I don't feel like I wasted my time with it and that's arguably the greatest praise I can give any show.

Hyouka 12
fCuGfR6.jpg

I never realized Mayaka was so much shorter than Hotaro.
Wow, this cultural festival arc looks really good. I mean, Hyouka looked good before, but it's so much more lively with the 4 members interacting with all the festival attractions and other students. And it looks like it's Mayaka focused too!

MahoGirls Precure! The Movie

Arguably one of the best things to come out of this season. That and the second to last episode. Something to fill the drought where we get to see other forms get used in combat, and slightly caring more about the stuffed bear, who made me shout JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP FAM.

On top of that, there were fucking name puns because fuck you Toei.

I recently started thinking of each Precure movie being filmed in the particular art style they want to depict for the season at hand, since they each look distinct from each other for various reasons. In a sense, I'm actually more hyped about the next All Stars movie because it appears to have a new art direction after the painfully dreadful style lingering for a while.

At least I feel, even if there's a season I don't enjoy lately, I can at least enjoy the movie that contributes to that season. Unlike Splash Star where the season was good but it had one of the worst movies to grace the franchise.

Dekutulla

Maidragon 9

Why are the kid's parents okay with Lucoa? I assumed based off of what Kobayashi said about the father that the kid was just playing along with his kid's mage fantasy, but why would he be okay with this completely random stranger doing all the weird shit Lucoa does?

Aside from Lucoa the episode was good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The parents are wizards/mages too? I guess?\

EDIT: Wait no I remember now I think Luoca brainwashed them.

Dekutulla

That's...kinda fucked up, tbh, especially how the other two dragon-person relationships are based off of, at least, mutual respect and consent

oh well, she's not in very much of the show so I guess it's pretty easy to ignore :v

Fuuka 10
download.png

The look of a person who is about to fuck up a good thing for NO RAISEN!

So Fuuka is suddenly jealous that Koyuki got her incredibly vaguely defined man, despite you know, rooting for her in previous episodes. Something she even admits to.
download_1.png

You didn't really try so much as you told her straight to her face to just go for it!

So apparently a lot of this episode was non-cannon, which is kind of humorous in that it's probably the closest the show has come to showing genuine romantic attraction. Yu and Koyuki's relationship may be really stupid, but at least it's built on something. Mainly childhood trauma to be honest. (Hell it's really the only relationship. Fuuka and Yu have nothing. They went on one date.) There really isn't much to say about this episode. It's kinda about the gang getting ready for another gig, and mostly about Fuuka being uncomfortable that her idol friend got her childhood love to blossom.

What a hero.

Puruzi

Banned
MahoGirls Precure! The Movie

Arguably one of the best things to come out of this season. That and the second to last episode. Something to fill the drought where we get to see other forms get used in combat, and slightly caring more about the stuffed bear, who made me shout JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP FAM.

On top of that, there were fucking name puns because fuck you Toei.

I recently started thinking of each Precure movie being filmed in the particular art style they want to depict for the season at hand, since they each look distinct from each other for various reasons. In a sense, I'm actually more hyped about the next All Stars movie because it appears to have a new art direction after the painfully dreadful style lingering for a while.

At least I feel, even if there's a season I don't enjoy lately, I can at least enjoy the movie that contributes to that season. Unlike Splash Star where the season was good but it had one of the worst movies to grace the franchise.
Cure Mofurun would have saved Maho Girls

Line_HTX

The marketing is weird. The Namco Twitter account and many other places say "ONE NIGHT ONLY TONIGHT" but the dates are spread out throughout the states.

Like here in Houston the movie will be shown next Tuesday and Wednesday, lol

At least the Egyptian Theater had the first US showing with the Director Ito hamming it up with the dub VA's.

kewlmyc

The marketing is weird. The Namco Twitter account and many other places say "ONE NIGHT ONLY TONIGHT" but the dates are spread out throughout the states.

Like here in Houston the movie will be shown next Tuesday and Wednesday, lol

At least the Egyptian Theater had the first US showing with the Director Ito hamming it up with the dub VA's.

Maybe the "one night only" is only through Fathom, while the other showings are through someone else?

So my copy of Super Robot Wars V finally showed up yesterday, but not sure when I'll start it since I'm working on Zelda BotW at the moment. I did (probably against my better judgement) start watching Cross Ange since it's part of the game, and...well, I have no idea what to think, besides that it's trying too hard to be edgy and shocking. It did look like the OP was straight out of SEED, so I looked up the staff and yep, Fukuda was directly responsible for it. Anyway, expectations are set as low as possible for this.

Cornbread78

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero ep.7
This has been sitting incomplete on my list forever and of course, my first episode back is a cheesy beach episode. No images are acceptable for the show at this time, lol. Oh well, 5 episodes left to clear it off my list.

So my copy of Super Robot Wars V finally showed up yesterday, but not sure when I'll start it since I'm working on Zelda BotW at the moment. I did (probably against my better judgement) start watching Cross Ange since it's part of the game, and...well, I have no idea what to think, besides that it's trying too hard to be edgy and shocking. It did look like the OP was straight out of SEED, so I looked up the staff and yep, Fukuda was directly responsible for it. Anyway, expectations are set as low as possible for this.

Keep the expectation low, but enjoy the off-the-rails crazy entertaining ride you are about to embark on!

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure Movie: The Miraculous Tranformation! Cure Mofurun!

So that's where the weird ending came from. Hah, Cure Flora. What is it with Precure leads getting bonked in the head anyway? And why do the Miracle Lights have a bear on top of them? In-universe of at least. There was nothing bear themed about the festival. Anyway, neat stuff in the beginning. Haa steals the show by being adorable as always. Hopefully she had a lot of books in those years she was gone. She puts everyone in the Magic World to shame. That dragon in particular was cute. Bad guy is obviously going to have a tragic backstory. With a name like Dark Matter, probably possessed. Mofurun always wins these competitions. That is one blessed bear. Hey bear, why don't you wish for their enemies to just disappear? Would give you more time for fun.

Mofurun kidnapped! Mirai depressed! Local bear ruins everything because now the heroes can't stop the bad guys! Felice being able to transform while Miracle and Magical are depowered reminds me of the first Max Heart movie. There's a village full of bears, but surprisingly we don't spend too much time seeing Mofurun be cute among them or getting friendly with one in particular. Doesn't slow the story down. And no one likes the black bear. Racists. Kumata is of course the evil Dark Matter attempting to befriend Mofurun. It works, but not that well. Mirai's despair is sold pretty well.

Felice gets to be awesome and solo a dragon. Major props to Riko for dueling with the main baddie with nothing but her wand. Cure Mofurun herself is cool. She's got a bearish design to her. Good fight with some sweet magic tricks with the brooms. Felice continues to be awesome by riding a dragon for backup. The fairies really do dominate this movie. Tragic backstory time. Surprisingly, he's not possessed, and just wanted to help people, but because he's a bear people were always terrified of him. Sort of reminds me of a certain other show about bears. Anyway, an effective backstory that explains why he's evil while still being sympathetic. Oh noes, the teddy bear is dead! And the evil magic is running free! And the world is doomed! Nah, just kidding. I like that the dragon stuck around the whole time. Mofurun manages to naturally feel like part of the team. Great fight scene, and rapid form switching is hype. Especially Topaz making clone Precure. Now that's what I call overpowered.

Another surprisingly good Precure movie. It's impossible to determine whether these will be good or not based on the trailers. Instead of inventing a whole new world and a bunch of oneshots, they make use of the established world and focus on just a single new character, the villain. The movie is not bogged down by a bunch of annoying characters, and the cameos of the regular show characters are well paced. The emotional beats work since it's with characters we actually know instead of with a bunch of newcomers. The fights aren't the best, but they work well enough, and the final battle in particular was great. Not much of a moral other than be nice to the scary looking guy, but it's entertaining. Everyone gets their moment to shine (though Riko gets the short end of the stick), and Cure Mofurun delivers. Worth a watch if you liked Maho Girls's characters.

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 09

Well, this was an episode.

It's really nice how well the show flows from reality to surrealism without a hitch, there was some really impressive framing and cinematography through out this episode. Particularly in the later half. Brief pans over its more surreal moments maintain an elegance without feeling out of tone.

Cornbread78

Masamune-kun ep.10
Uggh. This has now trailed off the synopsis of the show it's pretty stupid.

This is clearly NTR week where they just want to fuck with every ship possible and have stupid plot changes to make shows miserable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom