• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paltheos

Looking back at Konosuba, when was the last time a second season was such an improvement over the first season?

It's not too common for the second season to be a dramatic improvement over the 1st, especially if production studios change. A couple examples come to mind of shows getting much better in some ways and worse than others.

Higurashi and SNAFU for instance are both much better looking shows in S2 but they both lose something imo. Some of Higurashi's appeal imo is that the art looked cheap - It looked like a cheap, moe cash-in show. When shit then hit the fan the visuals onscreen clashed with my expectations of a show drawn like this. SNAFU S2 also has much better art and animation, but the show... was more difficult to watch, and this may have been an issue with the source material and not the direction or it could just be me, but I had a tougher time following the events of S2, and I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on it than most people who watched it do (as a comparison, there are allot of people out there who believe that SNAFU's a romance show, which despite the obvious, typical-anime visual cues, in the context of SNAFU they are not).

Browsing through my MAL... I'm gonna go with Slayers NEXT as most improved between seasons. I don't know how well Slayers holds up now, at all, but for the time NEXT was a dramatic improvement over the original TV series. The first Slayers anime is a stiffer affair that took itself a bit too seriously and sometimes bogged itself down with boring subplots (remember that episode Lina's evading capture from thugs because she got her period and can't use her magical powers effectively because of it!). Slayers NEXT throws that shit out the window. It quickly gathers the main cast together, doesn't waste so much time on exposition, and most importantly spends a bunch of episodes on fun fluff, which is really where Slayers shined brightest.

Slayers should honestly be the next old classic I need to watch since I only saw bits of it via Anime Network.

Hmm, 78 episodes and 7 films. Less than I thought.

Cornbread78

Chaika ep.7
SwQsrRc.gif

My goodness, this scene was hilarious. Akari was one thing, but then Frederica jumping into it was hilarious. Nice punches too! The characters are all still really good in the show, but do we still have more hints at a budding love triangle here?

Fuuka 10

So Fuuka is suddenly jealous that Koyuki got her incredibly vaguely defined man, despite you know, rooting for her in previous episodes. Something she even admits to.

So apparently a lot of this episode was non-cannon, which is kind of humorous in that it's probably the closest the show has come to showing genuine romantic attraction. Yu and Koyuki's relationship may be really stupid, but at least it's built on something. Mainly childhood trauma to be honest. (Hell it's really the only relationship. Fuuka and Yu have nothing. They went on one date.) There really isn't much to say about this episode. It's kinda about the gang getting ready for another gig, and mostly about Fuuka being uncomfortable that her idol friend got her childhood love to blossom.

What a hero.

Seriously. Fuuka deserves to be dropped off the corner of the planet and go ruin someone else's life.

Anime where the second season was better than the first:

Anime not done by BONES or Sunrise

Easy: Clannad: After Story

Future Boy Conan 26 END

And thus the story ends where it began, on Remnant Island - now much bigger after the ecological catastrophe that caused Industria to sink into the sea. That's the final capstone on a story whose major theme has been the passing of a world that lusts after technological power to be used for domination and violence and the emergence of a new healthier world which lives in harmony with nature and each other. It's a good bookend to a strong adventure show. Even though this came before all of Miyazaki's famous films, I'd still say this contains some of his best work. It's a polished production from beginning to end, with Nizo Yamamoto's lush art direction being a constant standout, and the storytelling is straightforward and child-friendly without feeling a need to dumb itself down for the sake of younger audiences. The influence of the adaptations of classic children's literature that Nippon Animation had been working on for World Masterpiece Theater can be clearly felt. Future Boy Conan comes close to being the Platonic ideal of children's entertainment.

Cornbread78

This scene is by far my favorite scene in SNAFU. Hachiman knows exactly what to say at just the right time.

The rest of that conversation was outstanding as well. Sensei truly is amazing and knows what buttons to push. I want the Vita "sensei route" animated, lol.

JulianImp

Watched some Akiba's Trip, and I'd say it's just really generic with what I got to see in the first two episodes. Boring protagonist, cookie-cutter supporting cast, generic action and comedy... meh.

On the other hand, Konosuba was still on-point this week, and Kobayashi was okay as well (even though I didn't really like the Elma or Lucoa skits). In the latter show, I'd say it's nice when characters get to talk and interact with each other in ways that don't bring up their informed character traits over and over (ie: Riko fawning over Kana, Lucoa's breasts being absurdly large).

So, today is Hatsune Miku day in Japan?

It ended a bit over five hours ago if that was the case, though.

Chindogg

The rest of that conversation was outstanding as well. Sensei truly is amazing and knows what buttons to push. I want the Vita "sensei route" animated, lol.

Just the subtle look on her face as she goes from "this is my punk kid brother type" to "I dunno if I should be attracted to him right now."

petran79

Banned
Future Boy Conan 24-25

The animation and art throughout these climactic episodes was very strong. It's been strong throughout the show, but it really shone here in depicting the intensity of the situation. The color shift at the final sinking of Industria was awe-inspiring.

It's interesting how strongly driven home the message of "Science and technology were all a mistake" is here as the series winds up. It's not uncommon for science fiction to tackle the downsides of unchecked scientific research and technological development, of course, but rarely have I seen such as a strong anti-science perspective taken as in Future Boy Conan.

Rarely have I also seen such a deviation from the source material. In the short novel by Alexander Key, Conan is an adult, same for the girl.

Miyazaki had that stance back then because it was his first attempt to direct a series. In his later work he expressed his opinion in a much better way.

I finished Stein's Gate last night after I got off from work. Overall I thought it was really enjoyable. Okabe's development throughout the series in response to the tragedy he was experience was rather stronger, and an extra kudos to the writers for having a predominantly female supporting cast without having any of them coming off as shallow waifu-bait. I also really dug the chemistry between Okabe and Kurisu. It's really rare for me to come out of an anime really loving a pairing but I loved just about every interaction between the two, which made the last couple of episodes really worth the investment.

If I had any complaint it's again that I thought the Ruka storyline was rather hit or miss. Like the actually conclusion to episode 18 was ok, but the handling of it was still pretty shaky.

Stein's Gate deservingly gets the best sci-fi anime award of those years. Unfortunately scifi anime were in a steady decline at that time.
Compared to masterpieces like Ergo Proxy, I wouldnt even bother watching if they were released the same year.

Stein's Gate deservingly gets the best sci-fi anime award of those years. Unfortunately scifi anime were in a steady decline at that time.
Compared to masterpieces like Ergo Proxy, I wouldnt even bother watching if they were released the same year.

What are you talking?

Madoka Magica was awarded a Seiun Award for "Best Media" at the 2012 Japan Science Fiction Convention

Fuuka 10

So Fuuka is suddenly jealous that Koyuki got her incredibly vaguely defined man, despite you know, rooting for her in previous episodes. Something she even admits to.

So apparently a lot of this episode was non-cannon, which is kind of humorous in that it's probably the closest the show has come to showing genuine romantic attraction. Yu and Koyuki's relationship may be really stupid, but at least it's built on something. Mainly childhood trauma to be honest. (Hell it's really the only relationship. Fuuka and Yu have nothing. They went on one date.) There really isn't much to say about this episode. It's kinda about the gang getting ready for another gig, and mostly about Fuuka being uncomfortable that her idol friend got her childhood love to blossom.

What a hero.

This series has been so disjointed it's pretty funny. Like, Yu spent the first couple of episodes rather obsessive over Fuuka after going on a single (not) date with her. Then Koyuki comes back into the picture and at first Yu comes off as rather oblivious to her having a crush on him and then suddenly, apparently, falls in love with her after her psycho fanboys almost lynch him.

I mean, I guess it's better than going full-Re:Zero and having Yu refer to Koyuki as his "#2."

Clov

Future Boy Conan 26 END

And thus the story ends where it began, on Remnant Island - now much bigger after the ecological catastrophe that caused Industria to sink into the sea. That's the final capstone on a story whose major theme has been the passing of a world that lusts after technological power to be used for domination and violence and the emergence of a new healthier world which lives in harmony with nature and each other. It's a good bookend to a strong adventure show. Even though this came before all of Miyazaki's famous films, I'd still say this contains some of his best work. It's a polished production from beginning to end, with Nizo Yamamoto's lush art direction being a constant standout, and the storytelling is straightforward and child-friendly without feeling a need to dumb itself down for the sake of younger audiences. The influence of the adaptations of classic children's literature that Nippon Animation had been working on for World Masterpiece Theater can be clearly felt. Future Boy Conan comes close to being the Platonic ideal of children's entertainment.

As much as I enjoyed this series (definitely one of the best from the 70s), I always find myself annoyed at Miyazaki's anti-technology ideas. It's especially prevalent in this series, and it bugged me a bit to be honest. I understand that he believes that everyone will just be all happy and harmonious when living simple lives with nature and all, but it just strikes me as regressive.

Koppai

Just watched Miss Hokusai thinking it would be pretty interesting. Maybe I did not catch the message it sent.

What are the good anime films out there besides Ghibli? I have seen quite a few anime films:

Wolf Children
Tokyo Godfathers
Tekkon Kinkreet
Steamboy
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Miss Hokusai
Digimon
Pokémon
Sword of the Stranger
Metropolis
Akira
Redline

And more....

Just watched Miss Hokusai thinking it would be pretty interesting. Maybe I did not catch the message it sent.

What are the good anime films out there besides Ghibli? I have seen quite a few anime films:

Wolf Children
Tokyo Godfathers
Tekkon Kinkreet
Steamboy
Summer Wars
Miss Hokusai
Digimon
Pokémon
Sword of the Stranger
Metropolis
Akira
Redline

And more....

Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer

Going to watch In this corner of the world next weekend (Asian films festival here in Helsinki). Excited. Only read good things about the movie.

Wolf Children
Tokyo Godfathers
Tekkon Kinkreet
Steamboy
Summer Wars
Miss Hokusai
Digimon
Pokémon
Sword of the Stranger
Metropolis
Akira
Redline

And more....
Psychic Wars
5cm per second
Psycho pass the movie
Endless Walz
Evangelion 1.11, 2.22, 3.33
Digimon Tri
Naruto The last
Bleach Hellverse
Gundam thuderbolt December sky
Cardcaptor Sakura movie 1 and 2
Fafner Heaven and Earth
Black Butler book of murder.

You are going to need to watch some series before some of these movies though.

Rarely have I also seen such a deviation from the source material. In the short novel by Alexander Key, Conan is an adult, same for the girl.

I haven't read The Incredible Tide, but I did look at a summary of it so I was aware of some of the changes Miyazaki made to his version. I assume he reduced the age of the protagonists due to the younger audience he was aiming for.

Still, if you want to see a major deviation from the source material, look no farther than Miyazaki's own Howl's Moving Castle, which starts from the same premise as Jones' original novel but pretty much abandons the novel entirely to go in its own direction.

As much as I enjoyed this series (definitely one of the best from the 70s), I always find myself annoyed at Miyazaki's anti-technology ideas. It's especially prevalent in this series, and it bugged me a bit to be honest. I understand that he believes that everyone will just be all happy and harmonious when living simple lives with nature and all, but it just strikes me as regressive.

As far as his anti-technology stance goes, you have to remember that in the 1970s the world was still in a Cold War with the threat of nuclear destruction looming. I imagine the specter of nuclear warfare was felt especially strongly in Japan, which is still the only country that has gone through attacks by nuclear weapons on their soil. Hiroshima and Nagasaki give some context for the feeling that scientists are prone to unleashing terrible dangers upon the world that could be used for great evil if not unchecked.

I believe technology is at the end of a day a tool that can be used for good or evil depending on how humans choose to use it, and Future Boy Conan's view of technology is particularly unsubtle and too one-sided in its rejection of industrial and post-industrial technology. Nevertheless, I still have some sympathy for Miyazaki's position. Miyazaki has said that he hated growing up in the Showa era in Japan because "nature was being destroyed in the name of economic progress." That reminds me of my experiences growing up. My grandparents took all their children and grandchildren to the beach on the Outer Banks of North Carolina each summer, from shortly after I was born all through the point where I went off to college. Over the course of those years, I saw the northern Outer Banks develop from a very sparsely populated area, where the nearest grocery store would take an hour to drive to and wild horses would come up and graze on the lawn of the house where we stayed, to a wildly densely developed area with houses, hotels, restaurants, and resorts dotting every square inch of ground, the beaches thick with swarms of people, and the wild horses driven far away. When I think back on the changes that took place there, I can't help but be wistful for what was lost through the progress of commercial development.

Clov

As far as his anti-technology stance goes, you have to remember that in the 1970s the world was still in a Cold War with the threat of nuclear destruction looming. I imagine the specter of nuclear warfare was felt especially strongly in Japan, which is still the only country that has gone through attacks by nuclear weapons on their soil. Hiroshima and Nagasaki give some context for the feeling that scientists are prone to unleashing terrible dangers upon the world that could be used for great evil if not unchecked.

I believe technology is at the end of a day a tool that can be used for good or evil depending on how humans choose to use it, and Future Boy Conan's view of technology is particularly unsubtle and too one-sided in its rejection of industrial and post-industrial technology. Nevertheless, I still have some sympathy for Miyazaki's position. Miyazaki has said that he hated growing up in the Showa era in Japan because "nature was being destroyed in the name of economic progress." That reminds me of my experiences growing up. My grandparents took all their children and grandchildren to the beach on the Outer Banks of North Carolina each summer, from shortly after I was born all through the point where I went off to college. Over the course of those years, I saw the northern Outer Banks develop from a very sparsely populated area, where the nearest grocery store would take an hour to drive to and wild horses would come up and graze on the lawn of the house where we stayed, to a wildly densely developed area with houses, hotels, restaurants, and resorts dotting every square inch of ground, the beaches thick with swarms of people, and the wild horses driven far away. When I think back on the changes that took place there, I can't help but be wistful for what was lost through the progress of commercial development.

That's true, the context of the show's time and place of production need to be accounted for. Looking at it that way, I can understand it a little more now.

Sometimes I miss being around less busy, quieter areas too. The city can wear me out at times. I don't think I'd ever want to go fully rural, though; I'm too attached to my tech.

wbEMX

Masamune-kun no Revenge #10

So that's what this is all about. Oh, well.

The show is getting dumber with each episode, which is kind of sad, because the last two episodes had some nice drama going on with more than enough implications how Masamune's revenge plan can have some really bad consequences. Now it's getting really cartoonish, though.

Still have to catch up on Kuzu no Honkai (currently at Ep.3) and KonoSuba 2 (Ep.6). This will be fun.

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 35
Kanata is back, too bad that he lost his memory.
They tried hard to get to remember who who is, but nothing worked.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.9
Gotta admit, I loved Nana's musical tie-in with the OP at the end. That was pretty badass; no wonder Hachi sounded star struck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom