• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

The Ancient Magus Bride will be 2-cour as well.

C6hTuR5UwAArAlF.jpg

I guess Crunchyroll-Hime could fit in this world, haha

Scum's Wish - 09

Good resolution for Hanabi and Ecchan. Now Mugi needs a punch in the head and a good shake so he can wake up for reality. At this point though, he has fallen so deep down the rabbit hole... If I were Hanabi, even if he cut ties with a teacher, I wouldn't take him back.

Line_HTX

Wait, this is Studio WIT? Shit, that means they have Titan S2, Ancient Magus Bride, and then Kabaneri S2 in 2018 assuming that starts in April 2018...

Damn, production is gonna fall off so hard.

What the fuck. Magus is going to completely fall apart.

Four continuous cours (between two shows). What the fuck.

Presumably Wit has two concurrent production lines/substudios going at the moment, since they've already been animating the Magus Bride prequel OADs. The TV anime production certainly could fall apart, but I don't think it would be much less likely to do so if it were one cour and/or spaced farther out from Titan S2. I mean, TV anime productions have a tendency to fall apart even if the studio making them is just making one-cour shows with at least one cour space between them (see: Shuka).

zulux21

Wait, this is Studio WIT? Shit, that means they have Titan S2, Ancient Magus Bride, and then Kabaneri S2 in 2018 assuming that starts in April 2018...

Damn, production is gonna fall off so hard.

looking at stuff they haven't been doing a ton since kabaneri season 1 a couple ova and compilation movies.

it's not completely impossible to think that they might have been working on attack on titan for a while already, nor since they have been working on ova for magus bride would it be impossible that they were already working on the other stuff as well. I mean I know a lot of studios do stuff on a tight deadline... maybe they aren't one?

that being said... I didn't realize magus bride was a thing so I need to find time to check out those ova

Jarmel

Banned
Presumably Wit has two concurrent production lines/substudios going at the moment, since they've already been animating the Magus Bride prequel OADs. The TV anime production certainly could fall apart, but I don't think it would be much less likely to do so if it were one cour and/or spaced farther out from Titan S2. I mean, TV anime productions have a tendency to fall apart even if the studio making them is just making one-cour shows with at least one cour space between them (see: Shuka).

An OAD is nowhere near as strenuous as a TV show though. Unless they have a completely separate team there's going to be overlap. Titan already seems like it's behind and possibly facing difficulty. So chances are if they end up playing catch-up, which they probably will, they're going to end up using Magus staff. There's essentially no room for error with how it's currently spaced out. Theoretically if they had a bigger gap between the two productions then there might be some buffer space in case of emergencies.

Two continuous cours (or any multiple really) is harder on any production team just due to the hard broadcasting deadlines. Honestly even if Magus was one cour it's worrisome that it's right behind Titan. They're essentially banking on a full year of no scheduling issues. Yes there are production issues with single cour or split cour shows but the probability of things going FUBAR only increases with multiple continuous cours.

This isn't even getting into the Kabaneri shit either but I guess they could just end up delaying that.

Thoraxes

I'm in Evanston actually. Going to the Cinemark theater. It was 17.50 or so to buy a ticket online.

Ah, up north. It's cheaper on the southside, or rather, at least my friend got his ticket for $13. (Still too much for movies in general in this state for my blood anyways, which is why I don't go to very many, maybe 1 or 2 every 3 years, heh.)

MSMrRound

Easy:
SNAFU

Yeeeaaaa

There were quite a few fans that were concerned back then when they heard that the SNAFU s1 character designer was jumping ship to lend his help to Persona 4 Golden the Animation of all things, but the second season really knocked things out of the park.

TwpXyAN.gif

*Hand gestures escalates*

Iroha Isshiki was such a great addition to the show as well

PK Gaming

Konosuba S2 Episode 4

Can't say I enjoyed this one all that much. It was a Darkness joke stretched across an entire episode. And when give the most focus to the show's weakest character, you get...this. Like even Kazutrash and Aqua at their best couldn't completely elevate it to greatness.

Crocodile

Will say, though I enjoyed this week's Konosuba, the Axis Cult arc is getting long in the tooth. I assume next week is the arc (and season) finale?

Konosuba's 2nd OP is ridiculously good

It got its dues here, right?

Mother's Basement even did a video on it so yeah, within the scope of the greater anime community, its getting its due.

Single season split cours don't count.

You and your arbitrary rules :p

Cornbread78

Princess Nine ep.13-14
Watching this game was pretty fun as they played the boys team. They did a good job highlighting most of the girls as they each contributed to the match. I was surprised that they really didn't dramatize the final at bats like most shows would have. It made those final dramatic moments feel really rushed.

kewlmyc

SAO The Movie

Yep, that was SAO all right. Was entertaining if you don't really think about the plot too much. The fights were cool, though I wish the last fight lasted longer and was easier to tell what was actually happening. Most of it was flashy effects on the attacks and fast cutting back and forth between characters.

I will give it this. The movie improved what I originally thought about Kirito and Asuna. They're not that bad of a couple, at least compared to other LN stories. His other haremettes other than Sinon can piss off though, especially Silica. Yui still sucks, Klein is wasted potential, and Agil is a pretty cool dude.

All and all, not a bad way to spend a bored business trip evening.

SAO/10

SAO The Movie

I will give it this. The movie improved what I originally thought about Kirito and Asuna. They're not that bad of a couple, at least compared to other LN stories. His other haremettes other than Sinon can piss off though, especially Silica. Yui still sucks, Klein is wasted potential, and Agil is a pretty cool dude.

What you got against Best!Girl Lisbeth?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just finished watching Ordinal Scale.... I'll have my thoughts up later. I will say this. The last 15 minutes is straight up the most anime thing I've ever seen and summarized the past decade in anime pretty well. Also the ending was straight up lulz and the most anime thing I've ever seen.

The movie is worth watching for its fights. It actually existed and was good unlike the show. Also, some of the scenes would make ufotable proud.

kewlmyc

Honestly, the best part of the movie was the guy a few seats down from me getting cockblocked by the bath scene. Bath scene happens, dude leans forward and starts shaking in his seat, literally nothing is shown, and he lets out a very audible groan and leans back into his seat. Poor guy.

I dunno, I guess I think she's just like the only good comic relief in the series lol

Her and Klein can be average comic relief together.

Sinon >>>> Lisabeth > Suguha >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Silica in terms of being interesting in my opinion.

kayos90

Honestly, the best part of the movie was the guy a few seats down from me getting cockblocked by the bath scene. Bath scene happens, dude leans forward and starts shaking in his seat, literally nothing is shown, and he lets out a very audible groan and leans back into his seat. Poor guy.

There were numerous scenes I was expecting fanservice and it just wasn't there despite it being like perfect for it. Then when we do get fanservice it's like super awkward and extremely blatant. Like literally in your face. Not sure how I feel.... It's like... meta?

Well, if what they say about S3 is true, you may be in luck.

I'm wondering how they're going to do S3. It's pretty much confirmed.

Cornbread78

I'm wondering how they're going to do S3. It's pretty much confirmed.

No idea, I've only heard general rumors about the source material

Not really spoilers but.. (mostly set-up rumors)

Kirito, Asuna and Sinon are predominant characters
More if a real world sci-first focus
There is rape shit, but this time in the real world with some really fucked up stuff

I try to avoid spoilers at all costs, but I would love confirmation of those without being spoiled on actual plot details.

kayos90

No idea, I'v only heard general rumors about the source material

Noy really spoilers but..

Kirito, Asuna and Sinon are predominant characters
More if a real world sci-first focus
There is rape shit, but this time in the real world with some really fucked up stuff

I try to avoid spoilers at all costs, but I would love confirmation of those without being spoiled on actual plot details.

I was talking moreso about the episode count and pacing.

Clov

Nozomi twitter teasing Sora no Woto BDs.

I'd be pretty surprised if that happens. They licensed that from Aniplex Japan, didn't they? I wouldn't mind if RightStuf worked out something with them to release the properties they don't want to put out themselves, though.

Sword Art Online : Ordinal Scale

I can't believe a showing nearly 45+ minutes outside of Birmingham, Alabama was as full as it was.

Probably one of the silliest theater experiences I have ever seen. The cast interviews absolutely destroyed my audience,
The surprise of the singer's interview.
Asuna's going on and on and then the troll.
followed by Kirito's high energy, fade out troll, finally asking the audience to cheer which everyone laughed and groaned at except one guy
however 90% actually joined in for the 2nd and 3rd everyone shouted while laughing like idiots.

Finally the screen went black and someone shouts
"Link Starto!"

I also can't believe I legitimately liked the movie as much as I did.
Love/Hate the entire franchise but thought it was good.

Sword Art Online : Ordinal Scale

I can't believe a showing nearly 45+ minutes outside of Birmingham, Alabama was as full as it was.

Probably one of the silliest theater experiences I have ever seen. The cast interviews absolutely destroyed my audience,
The surprise of the singer's interview.
Asuna's going on and on and then the troll.
followed by Kirito's high energy, fade out troll, finally asking the audience to cheer which everyone laughed and groaned at except one guy
however 90% actually joined in for the 2nd and 3rd everyone shouted while laughing like idiots.

Finally the screen went black and someone shouts
"Link Starto!"

I also can't believe I legitimately liked the movie as much as I did.
Love/Hate the entire franchise but thought it was good.

Cast interviews? What's this all about?

kayos90

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale

So I'll preface my thoughts on Ordinal Scale with the fact that: yes, I know the series is garbage and I recognize that it is garbage but I still like it. Having said this, I did think that Ordinal Scale is overall a passable movie. There are some legitimately interesting ideas here and the technology that drives AR, the Augma, propels the world into some very predictable territory. I always did enjoy the fact that Kawahara has some technological ideas that are something in the near future and manages to shape a story around it. Unfortunately the man is an absolute hack and can't get the execution down at all. It's literal trash. That's full front and center in Ordinal Scale. The AR ideas are executed well in the beginning but unfortunately it goes to stupidity by the end of the movie where it didn't matter at all. In fact the writing entirely goes to shit by the end of the movie. Kawahara should lead narratives from an idea standpoint and have someone else do the execution as there is a bit of societal commentary on the use of VR and AR gear.

Moving on from technology conversation, the movie for all its intents and purposes is a love story between Kirito and Asuna. You don't like that? Then you're totally fucked. You're not going to enjoy this movie minus the fight scenes. Just like how the death game drove the drama and gave the romance a little bit more weight in the Aincrad arc, the same application exists here. The technology drives the romance forward and puts a bit of a spin on things. Unfortunately, the execution falls short and the idea isn't hammered home quite well like the Aincrad arc. Kirito is pretty much of cutout in Ordinal Scale just like the Aincrad arc; it might actually be worse to be honest. However, when contrasting with Asuna I do think the interactions are a bit endearing when it's not super cheesy. The other characters are pretty much non-factors minus the villains Eiji and Shigemura. Eiji seems like he would be great character and possibly contrast well with Kirito as complete opposite of him had things gone differently but unfortunately he just isn't developed. Makes him feel like a shit villain and just a whiny edgelord. Shigemura on the other hand is very concise. He's fairly well written and his motivations are pretty clear cut. Despite the simplicity I enjoyed it. The characters overall reached the height of their value and what you expect from a stereotypical shovelware anime but there are moments of redemption. If there's anything that's worth seeing it's the cheesy, and somewhat fun, romance between Asuna and Kirito.

The plot is sorta all over the place? It actually starts out really strong. The first 20 minutes are extremely good actually. Everything after that is a slow descent towards madness and then then last 20 minutes or so everything gets thrown out the window and everyone is just jumping off cliffs cuz logic simply doesn't exist even when the movie tries to justify itself. It's that bad. Returning to the technology a bit, it would be difficult to remiss the story as AR is integral to the narrative. It has its cool elements but unfortunately, as I pointed out earlier, the repercussions of using AR and the stakes aren't built properly over the course of the film and it just pops out and disappears just as quickly. There's no time for it to sink in and actually matter. It definitely should matters and I think had the movie done this well it would've been great but unfortunately Kawahara is a hack and we get just a bad chick flick. I guess? Logic goes out the window in the last 20 minutes or so and at this point you're just here for the ride. You're watching things happen and it'll just not make sense at all. Just bask in it and don't think about it. Otherwise you'll either rage or hurt yourself thinking about it. It's just not worth it. Just like the characters there are some points and aspects of redemption but they are far few.

The tracks are nice but the songs are so phoned in. Kajiura pretty much plagiarized herself with the Kalafina tracks. It was lulz. That's all.

In terms of the visuals and fight scenes, they are all excellent stuff. In fact, some of the stuff they pull off would make ufotable jealous. Not sure why people hyped up the final fight scene as it wasn't really THAT great but all the fight scenes are fantastic. My favorite was easily the first fight scene and the duel between Eiji and Kirito. I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion. Overall, the visuals are fantastic. They do show some scenes from SAO and SAO2 which shows its age immensely. Ordinal Scale just looks THAT much better due to visual quality and simply the resolution.

Overall, I would not recommend watching Ordinal Scale unless you have watched SAO before and are interested in it slightly. This is not for newcomers. This isn't even for anime elitists. This is for the fans first and foremost. I would totally watch this again though. For what its worth I know what I value out of SAO and in that respect I feel like it delivered in spades. It is still garbage. I do think Kawahara's writing has gotten way better than when he first wrote Aincrad, Fairy Dance, even Alicization, but it's still bad. Maybe in a few decades he'll write something with good execution. Who knows.

Extra aside: The fanservice was super awkward... Like... there were scenes where other animes would've totally capitalized and made it into a fanservice scene but they didn't. And there weren't THAT many fanservice scenes. However, whenever they did it, it was super upfront and in your face to the point that it was super awkward. It was like, ”why is this happening" this is so unnecessary.

P.S. There are Kawaii Sparkles in the movie. It made me lulz.

Cast interviews? What's this all about?
The girl that sung the theme, Asuna & Kirito's VA basically had little videos before the movie.
Basically telling America to enjoy, Asuna's talking about how the relationship is important, Kirito's trying to pump up the audience.
Asuna's also mentioned how it only took 2 days to do the voices and that despite not recording for the series in two years everyone really felt like there was no gap.

When talking about AR Kirito's actor said something like "This might be a bit of a spoiler" Half the audience shouted "No!!!!!!"
and he was just saying that the VR world would still be shown.

The girl that sung the theme, Asuna & Kirito's VA basically had little videos before the movie.
Basically telling America to enjoy, Asuna's talking about how the relationship is important, Kirito's trying to pump up the audience.
Asuna's also mentioned how it only took 2 days to do the voices and that despite not recording for the series in two years everyone really felt like there was no gap.

When talking about AR Kirito's actor said something like "This might be a bit of a spoiler" Half the audience shouted "No!!!!!!"

Hah. That sounds cool.

kewlmyc

Weirdest part about the Asuna interview was that I guess she doesn't count the yearly video games they have to do voice work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom