• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Scum's Wish] - 9

The criticism levelled in here about this series - that's its rather tonally shallow is a fair one. If you wanted to be reductive, you'd say that the only thing people want to do in this series is fuck or cry, or do both at once. There's not a lot of 'normality' taking place. However, despite this, it has been refreshing to see the characters progress on their emotional journey's in a way that I hadn't quite expected.

At the beginning of the series Hanabi and Mugi felt like they were in a rather similar place emotionally, but there was an asymmetry in their relationship because Mugi was the one with experience. He was taking the lead, as it were, because of his past experiences. It felt that if one of these characters was going to 'rescue' the other, or in some manner help them process their problems, it would be Mugi helping Hanabi.

However as the series has progressed Hanabi has really struck out on her own in a manner that has helped her develop and progress as a person. Mugi (like most of the men in this series) seems to think he's in control of the situation and that he knows what he's doing, but ultimately he's completely naive. Now he's the character tumbling further into darkness and if anything it's going to be Hanabi who has to help him. This development has been pretty satisfying and it certainly feels earned in the context of the series.

I guess there's some broader commentary you could make by pointing out that the most powerful character in the series is a women and how, by and large, men are useless dolts.

mXgyErj.png

Not liking that character design.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only Hanabi can save Mugi from the cycle of netorare.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Scum's Wish Episode 9:

Well then, I presume this puts to rest the Ecchan subplot which is fine by me because she has been pretty narrative pointless for a few episode now; indeed, I would postulate too much time given that they felt the need to build up a whole new love interest out of the blue these past two episode that I still can't give one remote shit about. At least things got resolved about as smoothly as things could given the situation and the circumstances.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looking back at Konosuba, when was the last time a second season was such an improvement over the first season?
im@s CG

Technically speaking it was second half of one series that had a seasonal break in between... but I really disagree.

Watch Uzuki be pathetic for a whole bunch of episodes and when we finally reach the big concert at the end, the thing this whole show has been heading towards, the show becomes unfocused and we're treated to a hodgepodge of stills and main characters being sidelined.

Even worse is the first half already did the "idol gets depressed so doesn't turn up" storyline (watch the Side M anime do this plot point again). We thought we got it over and done with only for it to return in an even worse form!

What a disappointment after the promising first half.

Talking about Idolmaster.

After trying again my luck with idol stuff I'm watching Idolmaster right now (while skipping Xenoglassia of course). I remember the first episode with its documentary approach wasn't very popular arround here but I thought it was a pretty neat way of getting into the series.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I never understood the hate for episode one either.

Like I don't understand your lack of appreciation for the classic called Xenoglossia.

Cornbread78

Scum's Wish ep.9
I don't know what to say about this now. Hanabi is at least showing some good character development, but you still have to feel bad for her as she is getting screwed over by everyone she holds dear.

DiGiKerot

I never understood the hate for episode one either.

Like I don't understand your lack of appreciation for the classic called Xenoglossia.

Ditto. Admittedly, it's a bit weird in retrospect in so much as a lot of it is working around something that they'd very deliberately avoided even bringing up in the slightest in all of the promotional material and interviews beforehand (if there was going to be a producer and what their role in the show would be), but I still think it works on its own merits.

(Also Xenoglossia is great)

oh...

Don't say things which you can't take back or you will only need to buy an one way ticket at the Narita Airport Station next time.

Honkers and Nozzers best Lives and Takane and Yayoi best Idolmasters!

When I imagine these Japan trips I imagine Mike as generic Japanese tour guide lady doing her best to keep the visitors on track.

Mike is the lead character in the upcoming Sakura Quest.

Hey! >_>

It aired almost 6 years ago and while it made me and every other fan's panties wet, it was a whole lot of nothing and nothing has come of it except the company behind Fate Grand Order using male Saber to get more money by adding him.
But it's still entertaining then?

I see a male Saber and the best Lancer, it can't be that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom