• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Technically speaking it was second half of one series that had a seasonal break in between... but I really disagree.

Watch Uzuki be pathetic for a whole bunch of episodes and when we finally reach the big concert at the end, the thing this whole show has been heading towards, the show becomes unfocused and we're treated to a hodgepodge of stills and main characters being sidelined.

Even worse is the first half already did the "idol gets depressed so doesn't turn up" storyline (watch the Side M anime do this plot point again). We thought we got it over and done with only for it to return in an even worse form!

What a disappointment after the promising first half.

Yep, it was a technically not a second season but I wouldn't miss an opportunity to highlight how much that second half stood out from the first.

The second half was essentially how corporate downscaling or restructuring can affect a more artistic work and the people involved in the work. It doesn't necessarily put the suits in a negative light but shows that they just a different perspective towards things, sometimes that's good and other times, not so much. While that was the overarching story, there are many other themes(self-discovery, overcoming personal problems etc) the show touched on relayed through individual stories or as a group. Each of them added layers of depth to the characters unseen in the first half, they've really had a profound impression on me.

Uzuki was depressed the later part of the show since she saw everyone discovered a different side of them over the course of the show, learning how they were unique she feels left out.

Cornbread78

Fuuka ep.10
I am so sick of anime this week, fu(k it all. It's all trash and all needs to just stop. This is seriously the worst week I have encountered in anime since I started watching a couple years ago, it's been nothing but bull$hit NTR's and plot changes.... complete crap.

Oh and from what I've read, this is where the big "Twist" was supposed to happen, but nope, they went anime original with a brand-new bullshit plotline and will end the show on a stupid note, since everything from here forward is anime original, sorry folks, no
"Truck-kun,"
he even got NTR'd by this crap....

So after watching the first bunch of episode of the Idolm@ster anime I must the songs and performances are sure way weaker than in LL - I guess a result of not using CG models for the live shows.
Though I like the character dynamics quite between the girls and between the girls and Producer-san so I can't wait to watch more of the series.

Also the line "Are you ready? I'm a lady!" in the opening cracks me up.

Fuuka ep.10
I am so sick of anime this week, fu(k it all. It's all trash and all needs to just stop. This is seriously the worst week I have encountered in anime since I started watching a couple years ago, it's been nothing but bull$hit NTR's and plot changes.... complete crap.

Oh and from what I've read, this is where the big "Twist" was supposed to happen, but nope, they went anime original with a brand-new bullshit plotline and will end the show on a stupid note, since everything from here forward is anime original, sorry folks, no
"Truck-kun,"

The fact that there's still 2-3 more episodes left leaves me feeling there's still more romance-shenanigans left. The fact that the episode went out of it's way to point out how "The childhood friend won for once" and Kyouki still gets irrationally jealous of Fuuka leads me to believe her romance with Yu won't be lasting.

Fuuka ep.10

"Truck-kun,"

Your first mistake was watching anime in the first place.

it is always the worst week of anime

Cornbread78

The fact that there's still 2-3 more episodes left leaves me feeling there's still more romance-shenanigans left. The fact that the episode went out of it's way to point out how "The childhood friend won for once" and Kyouki still gets irrationally jealous of Fuuka leads me to believe her romance with Yu won't be lasting.

Lol, I did laugh to myself when his mom said that. I didn't know it was coming, but when the "twist" happened and they showed the outcome I could tell that something was wrong with the scene. Because they played up the dramatics right before and during it, then, itwasnothing.gif....

Cornbread78

I'm only on the first concert episode myself as I'm watching the dub. I take it I'm in for some shit though!

That was my favorite episode of the show by far!
I may be exaggerating a little with my response, but it's been a frustrating week with all these horrible plot directions and NTR's. This show just skipped it's big "hook/twist" and made it embarrassingly obvious..

Ascheroth

Fuuka ep.10

"Truck-kun,"
Has been a pretty good week for me!
The only thing I've watched so far was Konosuba :p

Fate/Prototype

SliceSabre was right...this was just one BIG TEASE! I could see where some of the character came from like caster and Lancer, but dammit...This had so little male Saber :(

That Gilgamesh space spear attack vs Saber's excalibur was pretty amazing though!

So on a scale of never to maybe, what are the chances male Saber appears in anime form again?

Also I find the design of male Saber better in Grand Order. I mean look at this King!
21d38682a0927eae8f2a60b6e24aa7d61489027791_full.jpg

3Kaze

So after watching the first bunch of episode of the Idolm@ster anime I must the songs and performances are sure way weaker than in LL - I guess a result of not using CG models for the live shows.
Though I like the character dynamics quite between the girls and between the girls and Producer-san so I can't wait to watch more of the series.

Also the line "Are you ready? I'm a lady!" in the opening cracks me up.

The performances in Love Live are garbage though. The CG is awful and it looks bad in motion, while the 2D performances in im@s are very well animated (like the ryuuguu komachi one in ep 6 or something). Megumi Kouno da goddess.

That was my favorite episode of the show by far!
I may be exaggerating a little with my response, but it's been a frustrating week with all these horrible plot directions and NTR's. This show just skipped it's big "hook/twist" and made it embarrassingly obvious..

You should watch the Virtual Girlfriend arc from Gintama. I think that should lighten your mood.

Clov

Fate/Prototype

SliceSabre was right...this was just one BIG TEASE! I could see where some of the character came from like caster and Lancer, but dammit...This had so little male Saber :(

That Gilgamesh space spear attack vs Saber's excalibur was pretty amazing though!

So on a scale of never to maybe, what are the chances male Saber appears in anime form again?

As much as I would like to see some sort of Fate/Prototype series, I don't really feel like it's that likely. We'd be more likely to get some sort of full series out of Grand Order, given how popular that is. Male Saber could always appear in that.

As much as I would like to see some sort of Fate/Prototype series, I don't really feel like it's that likely. We'd be more likely to get some sort of full series out of Grand Order, given how popular that is. Male Saber could always appear in that.

I hope you are right! Come on Grand Order! Do your thing!

DiGiKerot

Generally, Love Live treats things like a music video. I don't mean just the performances necessarily either, as it's something which informs a lot of the way the series timed in general, but when it comes to the actual music performances, everything in Love Live very much takes place in a kind of hyper-reality that often doesn't actually make any sense within the context of the actual show. It's fine, but that is its approach - they stuck music PVs, much like the ones they were releasing for the singles prior to the TV anime, into the middle of the show.

That's not really something that iM@S is particularly interested in. Infact, there's not actually that much in the way of actual music performances in it. The business model for the show itself was very different, to a degree - with Love Live (and Sunshine) you could see that they were pretty much under requirement to release a new single every 2-3 episodes. iM@S, on the other hand, was actually mostly just raiding music from the franchises backcatalogue, which is how they could manage to have a unique insert song and ED theme for every single episode of the show.

That being said, if you are judging the quality of the performance animation from Alright* in the shows third episode, that's not really indicative of the overall quality of stage performances in the show. There's a couple which are, from a technical point of view, incredibly impressive, though none of them are the perfectly formed PVs that you see in Love Live.

(If you want to see what an actual animated iM@S music PV would look like, look up the songs from the Shiny Festa games/OAVs. Those are cool)

Cute slice of life anime has taken over my life.

Place to Place and K-On! are delightful. No substance but fun to watch. why am i subjecting myself to this

Still at episode 5 of Idolmaster but I thought it was pretty lazy how there weren't even attempts of matching songs and visuals but it was often just an overlay to normal anime scenes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka ep.10

"Truck-kun,"

Yep. Seo (the author) says they took it out for whatever reason, which means its pointless to watch.

Given that they actually did the part with the twist in this episode and then not only didn't do it but made it impossible to ever happen despite teasing it reall yhard, the original twist was that
Fuuka gets hit by the truck and dies and it turns out its not a series about Fuuka Akitsuki, its a series about a band named after a singer named Fuuka - 80% of the series mostly features Fuuka Aoi, another character who literally isn't going to be in this unless they somehow shove her in the the next two episodes. He also never went out with Koyuki, he was dating Akitsuki after rejecting Koyuki, and then after she dies Koyuki tries again and gets rejected in favor of Aoi.

The title "Fuuka" mostly refers to the band, which is made out of either Akitsuki or Aoi's names - "Fallen Moon" is Akitsuki, and the band renames itself "Blue Wells" for Aoi.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist S2 ep.10
Yup, this was awesome. Everything is going to hell and they are fighting back the best they can! The battles are intense and the characters are all putting in work to defeat the Impure King... Excellent stuff!

Yep. Seo (the author) says they took it out for whatever reason, which means its pointless to watch.
Given that they actually did the twist in this episode and then not only didn't do it but made it impossible to ever happen, the original twist was that
Fuuka gets hit by the truck and dies and it turns out its not a series about Fuuka Akitsuki, its a series about a band named after a singer named Fuuka - 80% of the series mostly features Fuuka Aoi, another character who literally isn't going to be in this unless they somehow shove her in the the next two episodes. He also never went out with Koyuki, he was dating Akitsuki after rejecting Koyuki, and then after she dies Koyuki tries again and gets rejected in favor of Aoi.

The scene was just soo bad. I mean, they played up the traffic lights, the music, the keychain into this big dramatic moment and I said to myself, shit, so THIS is the twist, and then that happened, I was like, WTF? Then I read online about wahat really happened.... uugghh

btw, that true plot is garbage as well. Hopefully, like Yuu's mom said, the childhood friend actually wins for once! I would like a final scene with
Kayomi replacing Fuuka and becoming the lead signer of Fallen Moon
However, I can already see the alternate garbage plot that is coming with Fuuka still being involved.... screw her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Blue Exorcist S2 ep.10
Yup, this was awesome. Everything is going to hell and they are fighting back the best they can! The battles are intense and the characters are all putting in work to defeat the Impure King... Excellent stuff!

The scene was just soo bad. I mean, they played up the traffic lights, the music, the keychain into this big dramatic moment and I said to myself, shit, so THIS is the twist, and then that happened, I was like, WTF? Then I read online about wahat really happened.... uugghh

btw, that true plot is garbage as well. Hopefully, like Yuu's mom said, the childhood friend actually wins for once! I would like a final scene with
Kayomi replacing Fuuka and becoming the lead signer of Fallen Moon
However, I can already see the alternate garbage plot that is coming with Fuuka still being involved.... screw her.

I mean, Fuuka didn't do anything particularly unlikable at all in the original material.
She was mostly just plucky and nice. None of this side crap actually happened - she immediately told Koyuki she didn't want Yuu to date her and immediately started dating him.

Cornbread78

I mean, Fuuka didn't do anything particularly unlikable at all in the original material.
She was mostly just plucky and nice. None of this side crap actually happened - she immediately told Koyuki she didn't want Yuu to date her and immediately started dating him.

Her character depiction has been so weird in this show from the first meeting until now, which is why if they go another NTR route
Taking Yuu away from Kayomi
in the final 2 episodes there will be a reenactment of the first glimpse you get of Kiss Shot in Kizu 1 with this director....

Ascheroth

Blue Exorcist Kyoto - 10

I really like the concept of the Impure King. It's a fascinating thing.
Great action throughout on multiple fronts and next episode should be great as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching the new season of Love, I'm reminded of Scum's Wish, which is probably a good thing for both shows in my mind. The big difference being that since Love is an adult show, a character can actually say she is a sex addict and talk about going to Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous as opposed to just being a shitty person. lol

zulux21

so can I vote horizon zero dawn as anime of the season?

I mean we had live action puppets in the AOTY thread.

but yeah... wasn't expecting it at all, but horizon had a really enjoyable story, better than any anime from this season that is for sure :p

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 10:
What an episode. Gorgeous colors, great expressions, and some amazingly tender scenes. I went through the range of almost every emotion you can have in this episode. It was just a sheer master class in anime writing, from the scene outside of the theater at the front as everyone wonders what their place is in the world (with the theater burning down representing the idea of Rakugo dying in a much more overt way), to Yotaro's musing on what the nature of a relationship between master and disciple is, to his scene's with Konatsu, and of course the main attraction of the episode being that extended scene with Konatsu and Yakumo. It was just perfect. It hit all of the staples of their relationship, and advanced things at the same time.

It's in that scene that I think the family drama became at it's strongest.
You can really feel the way in which Yakumo has now fully accepted this family as his true family and can just look at the whole thing with a sense of pride. And that's what makes that cliffhanger all the more tragic and poignant. It feels like Yakumo has finally found a purpose in continuing to live even if he can no longer perform Rakugo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Still at episode 5 of Idolmaster but I thought it was pretty lazy how there weren't even attempts of matching songs and visuals but it was often just an overlay to normal anime scenes.
Really...? Like DiGiKerot already said they're unique songs that are often chosen because they are relevant to the scene/character. To think of it as "lazy" is super weird when the show wears its production strength on its sleeve...

Taruranto

Ghost People #9

Honestly this scene made a better job at conveying he had feelings for her than the whole of S1. Maybe because it didn't look like he was also in love with Sukero
's rakugo
for half of the episode too.

Also woah, I can't believe they packed two kick-ass Rakugo performances in the same episode.

Jex

I really feel like Hanabi should have passed some comment once she saw Ecchan in this hat:

You know, something like "Hey Ecchan, strange that you made this hat to celebrate my unhealthy relationship with Mugi and stranger still that you'd wear it on our summer date."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom