• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
zOiZkhJ.jpg

=

NKkyucS.jpg

Youjo Senki 9

How is Tanya so competent at shooting people, yet so terrible at accomplishing her real goal?

Because Being X works in mysterious ways.

Anyone gonna watch it again?!

SAO -Ordinal Scale- is returning to select U.S. theaters on 4/22 featuring the ENGLISH DUB! Theaters TBA on 3/14 at sao-movie.net/us/theater

I'm holding out for the Netflix release. Not much of an SAO fan but I'm curious since people seem to be giving it high praises. Though not interested enough to pay Fathom prices lol

Narag

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD 1

This is just in a really weird place. It's nowhere near as unrelenting as the Moriwaki series but not quite as serious as Futari wa Milky Holmes. In the search of a happy medium, it's sort of nowhere right now although there was a few good sight gags that has me cautiously optimistic. Sher getting Kazumi thrown in jail already was pretty good too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 10:

It was nice that Yakumo and Konatsu were able to reconcile and bond and just enjoy life a little bit before then end.

Narag

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD 2

Much better with a better handle on how to handle the humor. Milky Holmes hearing the OP music they sung and having to confer to decide to lie about hearing it before since they claimed they actually cannot sing was a surprisingly meta move.

HEYBOT! Episode 21 – The Blip-Blopping of Glitchy Time
C6mRYblXAAA39Tg.jpg:small
C6mUCoIWkAALGPA.jpg:small

This gamey episode was pretty fantastic, glad Nejiru has some epic skills at games and all those urban legends and such for various games, lol.Silly.

Darn shes lucky, to have that done by the coolest nejiru...need.
C6mWKFYWcAE4x_U.jpg:small

Narag

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD 3

There's a bunch of random Gundam humor and some curry jokes and one really fucked up bit of humor where the local government removes Nero from the show and everyone just plays it off like it had never happened in the last 10 minutes or so even though Nero's conspicuoulsy absent. what the fuck

It's a shame One Piece is leaving because we we're about to get some good arcs...

...granted after that the show falls off a quality cliff, so eh.

Squishy3

maybe one day one piece will get a kai version or cyberconnect 2 will release the definitive way to experience it like they did with naruto

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 20 – The Legend of Pawpad Place
C6mfRogWYAAY38y.jpg:small
C6mfRogWoAEygV7.jpg:small

Good episode for navirou fans, kind of thought he would have actually been able to get the fang but the outcome was even better than I expected. The cat village was hilarious, and then the one voiced by Matsuouka-san...need more

Because Being X works in mysterious ways.

I'm holding out for the Netflix release. Not much of an SAO fan but I'm curious since people seem to be giving it high praises. Though not interested enough to pay Fathom prices lol

I'd say it was actually worth the ridiculous price for a 1 time thing, and thats as someone who originally dropped the series like 5-6 episodes in.

NeonZ

Classicaloid - episode 21

I don't know if the show can keep it up, but I feel like it has been improving on the comedic front for the last 4 episodes or so. They've finally even managed to make the Musik sequences actually entertaining. It has been mostly based on character interaction and conflicts among the cast though, and the main cast is relatively small and still has some fairly weak characters there... so I'll be surprised if they managed to improve even more or at least keep things at the current level.

Narag

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: Summer Special

Went back to this to fill in some gaps and to get a little more of the old school bumblefucking around. Instead I got a visual treatise on the necessity of having both friends and rivals in your life to make yourself complete.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (Subtitled) Episode 83 – Hell Kaiser Ryo Versus Master Samejima

Theyre doing a great job preparing us for the next arc. Яeverse Kaiser sounds like he will be pretty cool with the Яeverse Cyber Arts. Kind of reading for the society of white light arc to end if we can get back to our protagonists facing this high level opponent.

Aki-at

Konosuba S2 - 9

This town really suits someone like Aqua, how stupid and crazy everyone is. It's all just so perfect, season 2 is such a huge jump in quality this has already taken top spot this year for me. Loved how the little girl had the same animations for liar as she did last episode haha.

The Vision of EscaFlowne Episode 19

What does Hitomi see in Allen but not in Van. I enjoyed it somewhat, but wow Van so close to saying something to move the plot in that direction but then to awkwardly say the trigger word again, my heart.

Folkan's plan was incredible.

Sianos

[Scum's Wish] - 9

The criticism levelled in here about this series - that's its rather tonally shallow is a fair one. If you wanted to be reductive, you'd say that the only thing people want to do in this series is fuck or cry, or do both at once. There's not a lot of 'normality' taking place. However, despite this, it has been refreshing to see the characters progress on their emotional journey's in a way that I hadn't quite expected.

At the beginning of the series Hanabi and Mugi felt like they were in a rather similar place emotionally, but there was an asymmetry in their relationship because Mugi was the one with experience. He was taking the lead, as it were, because of his past experiences. It felt that if one of these characters was going to 'rescue' the other, or in some manner help them process their problems, it would be Mugi helping Hanabi.

However as the series has progressed Hanabi has really struck out on her own in a manner that has helped her develop and progress as a person. Mugi (like most of the men in this series) seems to think he's in control of the situation and that he knows what he's doing, but ultimately he's completely naive. Now he's the character tumbling further into darkness and if anything it's going to be Hanabi who has to help him. This development has been pretty satisfying and it certainly feels earned in the context of the series.

I guess there's some broader commentary you could make by pointing out that the most powerful character in the series is a women and how, by and large, men are useless dolts.

I think like you say the issue people are taking with the show is pacing. Not enough downtime between the scummier moments to get to know the characters better as individuals. It feels like each character is more of a representation of an archetype as opposed to a person, and while I personally find that still interesting given the way these archetypes are played with, there would be more of a connection with the characters if they were more fleshed out.

Definitely still an excellent show and given the time constraints I prefer this approach than losing out on the meat of the show in favor of more dressings.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

So I actually watched this movie for the first time tonight. It's been on my backlog to watch for a long time, so I'm glad I got around to it. It was a nice enjoyable movie. Interesting that the time travel gimmick was really used as a catalyst for Makoto's development in being more honest and forward about her feelings. Mamoru Hosoda really has a knack for creating likable enough characters, and especially their friendships and I felt he excelled in that area here.

I guess fuck that one kid though who Makoto indirectly caused to get bullied. She leaps back to fix her minor screwups but leaves that kid to take the fall because she didn't want to embarrass herself in Home Ec. lol

kewlmyc

Fuuka 10

Guess we are getting an anime original ending.

Wait, they reconned the only interesting part of the manga. Lol at that adaption.

Tokyo Ghoul replacing One Piece on Toonami? lol

4Kids should go to jail for murdering any potential mainstream popularity One Piece could have had in the US.

Anyone gonna watch it again?!

SAO -Ordinal Scale- is returning to select U.S. theaters on 4/22 featuring the ENGLISH DUB! Theaters TBA on 3/14 at sao-movie.net/us/theater

Eh, I think I'm good this time. Don't care enough to pay $15 to see a movie I've already seen but now with extra BRYCE PAPENBROOK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom