• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Judging by the screencap, it doesn't disgustingly betray it's hard work ethic by having a protagonist coast to her position by the virtue of her bloodline and resultant connections so no.

The special unit she's using is actually her injured sister's and she's there to fill in for her lol

DiGiKerot

send help

1c8sr0imps2d.gif

Though too bad I can't watch the rest of the show until next weekend.

Bummer. You still have a couple of my favourite episodes of the series to go, including the production debut of the studio Trigger, and also the episode which restores Yamakans faith in anime (according to his own Twitter account, at least...)

phaze

The special unit she's using is actually her injured sister's and she's there to fill in for her lol

But going by your screencap, it's not pretending hard work is end to it all or sole reason she got where she is.

I''ll shut up now until I watch it* myself.

Nope. Maybe watch the pilot movie to get a rough idea.

I barely remember anything from the original series except bits and pieces, but you only really need the initial plot setup for this new season. There's definite callbacks and stuff.

Right, thanks.

Cornbread78

Akari didn't even know his sister is his sister so I'm not sure why you think she knows anything.

She talked about him and his sister as if she knew stuff about him and his family situation the episode after they saw Rei and his sister arguing outside. She knew, lol.

Chaika ep.9
Nice Taru backstory and nice fireworks.. this was set up for the next bony part, lol.

Gintama - 177-178

Back to Yoshiwara and back into some heavy arc! And unfortunately the second episode already offers never-ending barrages of self-indulgent dialogue.

What's worse, Tsukuyo, whose back-story was properly established and explored in the previous Yoshiwara arc, had apparently am additional, very important person in her life. To me clearly a retcon as it changes the importance and Tsukuyo's agency of scarring her own face for instance.

At this point lots of backstory and flashbacks feel like a big storytelling crutch for Gintama to fall back on to tell the serious stories and drama. When there's a new scenario and new characters that's tolerable, here though it ain't.

Thematically this seems rather weak, too. Tsukuyo's womanhood and potentially romantic interest (in Gin) is suddenly a central element even though the latter comes pretty much out of nowhere? Can't recall there being any of that in the last arc. I mean, I guess she might have fallen for him due to his heroic attributes and all but a) that would've been lousy and b) simply wasn't shown. Well, once this spider antagonist got introduced it became clear that it's now important because he's got some dumb obsession with 'creating' Tsukuyo and controlling aspects like her womanhood and so on. That guy is all-around lame, and honestly, so are most of the other try-hard badass villains in Gintama.

The worst is, just as all those others, he'll likely get semi-redeemed with his own massive sets of flashbacks and sob-stories, and no mind will be payed to all the many innocent people's life he took. Happened with Itou Kamotaro and Housen after all.

Just like the last time in Yoshiwara they've also upped the violence. Ends up feeling somewhat silly though when there's never consequences.

LpNaMvb.png
aUrpMpf.png

Heh. I thought you were always following Tsukuyo with a keen eye. You'd know better if you saw the slaughter Gin withstood against the King of the Night.

Andrew J.

I'm not going to claim to a great expert of Shounen or even Tournament Arcs in general, because that's not really my scene, but I'd be surprised if you still had the same feeling once the Dark Tournament Arc concludes.

People do like to go on about how it's one of, if not the best, Tournament Arcs ever and while I lack the genre knowledge to draw a plethora of comparisons with other works, I think the strengths of the arc are easily highlighted:

- Set-up: The central villain of the arc, and his strength vs. the strength of our protagonist is established even before the arc begins. This 'laying out the tracks' so far in advance makes the build-up, and eventual conflict with the Big Bad, more satisfying.

- Story Relevance: Related to the above, the actual reasons for our heroes to take part in the tournament is established for not only purely dramatic reasons, but for emotional ones too. Our protagonist has an extremely compelling emotional reason to take part in the proceedings and take out the Big Bad, and it's not just "save the Earth" or "Be The Strongest Fighter".

- See Our Heroes Do Cool stuff: Like any good action series, seeing characters pull off unexpected and cool powers that have only hitherto being hinted at is pretty exciting and fun. Surprises are cool, and when you have our characters get to strike out on their own they get to pull off some pretty interesting stuff.

- Akiyuki Shinbo: Shinbo was heavily involved with the direction and storyboarding of various episodes of YYH, but his best and most memorable work in the series is his work on the Dark Tournament Arc. Often, shounen is a genre where individually talented directors and animators get a chance to run wild every so often, and what better place to do than in a tournament arc where lots of crazy things can occur. Shinbo is a director whose highly striking subjective style makes him uniquely suited to depicting these kinds of events.

- Catharsis & Epilogue: Not only does the finale of the arc providing some very satisfying emotional pay-off, but it's also followed by an extremely powerful epilogue which I won't get into here. Suffice to say, there's significant fallout from the events of the arc which get paid off in a very memorable way.

- Cute Commentator Girls: Need I explain this point?

I mean, I guess on the downside, it is still pretty long. But in a way that feels more earned than normal.

I really like your Dark Tournament analysis posts. Makes me want to write about the influence of Stardust Crusaders on the Sensui arc, but I'm too lazy to go back and rewatch all those episodes.

MARGINAL #4 the Animation Episode 7 – Twin Stars Broadcasting From Noon

Oh nice we got to hear KENN reading in ENGLISH. It was amazing.

Good episode for twins R and L. I need more radio broadcasts.

Cornbread78

Chaika ep.10
Dammit, Akari had red eyes, must mean she's evil now... evil, evil, evil. Don'rDon'tDon't Don't really care for this plot change... So tropey...

Narag

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD 12 FIN
Surprisingly enjoyable, especially after people had led me to believe it was actually pretty bad. Three different approaches across four different seasons, each succeeding and failing in their own way, has left me realizing this is a rather flexible property in the right hands. I see what NeonZ meant about the ending of this being an appropriate sort of sendoff between Milky Holmes being tested properly by Arsene and the concert at the end.

I'll check out Alternative and the movie later this week to wrap things up.

SUPER LOVERS 2 Episode 7 – Sweet Peach
C6we8CsXAAA2UnK.jpg:small
C6whCmrWcAA2MHE.jpg:small

Aki and Shima continuing to offer the bestlines at all these moments. But then I wonder if they will start to since Natsuo is even getting caught up in Ren's desire.

Aki-at

Samurai Jack S5 - 1

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this and how great it was. I don't need anime in my life anymore.

(Except Konosuba, I need my weekly fix of humiliation and shame.)

Cornbread78

Nana ep.11
Well, I'm glad some of that side drama was spared from Sachiko and the shop owner, but it looks like Hachi has to get back on track soon. Also, looks like the gangs all here, well, outside of the 1 missing element.

Moaradin

I'm actually somewhat excited for the Boruto anime. The new series director is great. Love that the character designs are based on the movie versions and not the Boruto manga as well.

Aki-at

Basilisk - 4

Like, the
Kouga clan's numbers are dropping like flies, what a useless ninja clan.

I feel the only reason I'm watching this now is the same reason I watched Mirai Nikki, morbid fascination in how much worse it can get for everyone (And will
the Kouga clan actually kill anyone?)

BasilZero

First time in the anime thread here on GAF.

I've been watching Dragon Ball Super, Naruto Shippuden and One Piece - all caught up. Excited for the upcoming Boruto anime.

Started on Mobile Suit Gundam (a.k.a. Gundam 0079) - yep the original Gundam from 1979.

On episode 21 already :3

Samurai Jack S5 e1

This was badass and all, but this is essentially Legend of Jack: Breath of the Wild. Former hero with iconic tunic and sword is now in the future with new armor and using weaponry he finds on the battlefield.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The older I get the more I like the original MSG. At least half of it is nostalgia of that era of animation.

Samurai Jack S5 e1

This was badass and all, but this is essentially Legend of Jack: Breath of the Wild. Former hero with iconic tunic and sword is now in the future with new armor and using weaponry he finds on the battlefield.

Calamity Aku.

Also Link nearly had a motorcycle!

Tiger Mask W 14

In which Naoto learns the difficulties that come along with maintaining a secret identity.

I appreciated that, even though this was a cooldown episode with minimal production resources overall, there were still a few neat action animation cuts.

The older I get the more I like the original MSG. At least half of it is nostalgia of that era of animation.

Calamity Aku.

Also Link nearly had a motorcycle!
The biggest difference is that the English dub of samurai jack wasn't done by random people they found off the street and they made read the script in one take.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The biggest difference is that the English dub of samurai jack wasn't done by random people they found off the street and they made read the script in one take.

Zelda's VA really bummed me out when I first heard the clips but after playing the and getting all the memories I really dig it.

Funnily enough considering it was in the same post I used to think the same way for the english dub of Mobile Suit Gundam, which I now really like.

Traveller Yami, Hat and Book 1

Me a week ago:

Me today:

Fuck you, past me. Promising to watch this shit and now having to see it through.

"The long rain had stopped at some point during the night, but the rain in my heart kept falling."
"I've always heard her voice through the ears of my heart."

Fuck you show. Is that seriously the best you can come up with? These are real fucking lines from this goddamn show. This makes School Days main character sound like goddamn Shakespeare.

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh. Twelve more episodes of this shit. Watching this episode felt like it took forever. Jesus Christ.

At least it wasn't all bad... Oh wait yes it was. It turned a perfectly good concept like espionage and have it go down the shitter. It just felt like a small blessing to get away from the main characters that this small sidetrack made me forget what I was watching: pure bullshit. Just because it wasn't as bad as the first ten minutes doesn't mean the second half wasn't bad. And the ending of the episode just retroactively made the second half of the episode just the cherry on top of this shit pie.

Fuck this show man.

Stay tuned for next week as I try to escape from this insanity.

kewlmyc

Damn shame about the final episodes of Zestiria seeming very rushed. Cool that they fleshed out Alisha and Rose, but it seems the story and the rest of the characters took a hit because of it.

Syrinx

Kirakira Precure A La Mode 6

For some reason I thought Cure Chocolat was a bird or something. I think it was the hair.

I liked how Ichika still thought Akira was a boy even after becoming a Precure. She's just too handsome.

3Kaze

Damn shame about the final episodes of Zestiria seeming very rushed. Cool that they fleshed out Alisha and Rose, but it seems the story and the rest of the characters took a hit because of it.

I don't think it's rushed, it's just that the writers have no idea of what to do with Lunarre and Simone (to be fair, both are pretty shit characters in the game as well) and well, the result is hilarious.

Cornbread78

Thanks and ironically I am playing that same Zelda game right now on my WiiU :p

Lol, I'm still trying to finish up Tales of Berseria, then Nier, then Mass Effect, then Persona 5.... It never ends.

Anyhow, feel free to hang out and discuss anything anime anytime. Also feel free to ask for recs if your looking for other shows to watch, etc.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 10

I have no idea how Akko and Sucy didn't get kicked out of Luna Nova after that stunt. Witches are already in a precarious position, and now they're pissing off big shot politicians. Diana getting stung was funny at least. And Lotte got out with something to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom