• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally watched Gantz:O.

Yep that was Gantz, exactly what it says on the tin. I enjoyed it, some good action, wouldn't mind seeing more. I'm still salty over how bad the final arc was, why couldn't they stick with the dumb edgy murder games?

Sölf;231980065 said:
I am not really reading the manga, but it's more or less a full adaption. The later seasons skip several of the comedy episodes and also the anime has less anime original material now. Just for comparison, in one of the early episodes, the same one that was animated for the Jump Festa 2005 (the very first Gintama animation) has a second anime only half, where Katsura appears with a mecha. I don't know how much anime only material there is, but at least until way into the 200-300 range of episodes, I don't think anything the manga has is actually missing from the anime.

As for 4th wall breaking, the manga definitly does that, but as said I am not completely sure how often. I am not reading the current manga and only read some of the earlier chapters after I started collecting the manga in german.

Aye, thanks.

Damn, that's, well... damning. Converting episodes to crap quality after a mere day even now, yikes.

jman2050

Traveller Yami, Hat and Book 1

Me a week ago:

Me today:

Fuck you, past me. Promising to watch this shit and now having to see it through.

Oh boy you really don't know what you're in for.

And that's not in a nudge nudge wink wink way like School Days I mean this show goes places.

Jex

Gintama - 180

That episode sure was a visual treat.

UigwZ4A.png

56laBaO.png

I wish you hadn't reminded me that Gintama could occasionally have some visual style. The current run of the series is painfully bland, even though it's actually adapting some of the most exciting material and events in the series so far. In a normal shounen adaptation, even a rather average one, you'd expect them to devote their most talented directors and best animators for the really key episodes.

Yet in the current run of Gintama every episode basically looks the same both stylistically and in terms of the quality of the animation. Everything has that sameiness that comes from literally adaptating manga panels into animation with no thought or passion.

It's a shame.

Taruranto

Bees #10

I dunno, this was pretty ccccute. I like the chemistry between Akko and Andrew too. It feels oddly refreshing to have a Japanese series with an all-female cast that does pair some of the girls with some of the boys, pretending boys don't exist in this universe would have been easy.

They also managed to make Diana look less than perfect for once, yay.

Thud

Welp beat Ganon. Still not done with Zelda, but I might be able to catch up to some anime before the new season starts lol.

Sterok

Gabriel Dropout 10

So instead of highschool antics, the entire episode takes place in Heaven and Hell. A welcome change of pace. The demons are still the better half with Satania's chuuni parents and Vigne accidentally getting a better familiar than Satania. For the angels, at least Raphi is nice enough to not rat out Gab. With Gab and Raphi about to help Satania break into Heaven, maybe Satania is a successful demon after all. She did manage to get a pair of angels on her side. That has to count for something.

I wish you hadn't reminded me that Gintama could occasionally have some visual style. The current run of the series is painfully bland, even though it's actually adapting some of the most exciting material and events in the series so far. In a normal shounen adaptation, even a rather average one, you'd expect them to devote their most talented directors and best animators for the really key episodes.

Yet in the current run of Gintama every episode basically looks the same both stylistically and in terms of the quality of the animation. Everything has that sameiness that comes from literally adaptating manga panels into animation with no thought or passion.

It's a shame.

The current adaption really feels disappointingly bland with unimpressive animation. I remember the last Gintama run in 2016 to be better in that department, especially with prioritizing key episodes. I thought the two episodes confronting
Gin and Takasugi
were genuinely great. Kinda strange since the current run is helmed by the same creative team.

NeonZ

It's a shame.

They got a first timer nobody to direct the show and replace the previous director.

I guess technically the 2nd director, Yoichi Fujita, also got his debut as a director with Gintama though, but this new replacement clearly didn't work out in the same way.

The current adaption really feels disappointingly bland with unimpressive animation. I remember the last Gintama run in 2016 to be better in that department, especially with prioritizing key episodes. I thought the two episodes confronting
Gin and Takasugi
were genuinely great. Kinda strange since the current run is helmed by the same creative team.

I thought the only time the new team really went for something unique looking was during the executioner arc of that previous run, but I guess they might have gone too far there (even the city's look was different) and afterwards stuck to standard visuals without trying something unique again. Especially since the anime last season several times attempted to pretend that it was still the same staff from before with some of their rare original jokes, like the bit about Sunrise being repainted into BNP.

petran79

Banned
I watched this based on a duckroll recommendation (if I recall correctly) awhile back, and I ended up loving it.

Found Fantastic Children a decent series with memorable characters. At that time it was described as a modern series with an old school pace. But it was rather funny how at crucial moments all characters in a row always exclaimed "huh?!"

pbayne

Nyanbo, Nobunaga no Shinobi, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (mostly), Scum's Wish, Tiger Mask W.

Pokemon Sun and Moon, Dragon Maid, and Little Witch Academia[/B]

Cheers. Should have specified shows that started this season.
...Scum's Wish is the only one that sounds vaguely interesting to me but i see its still an ongoing manga that im probably never gonna read so eh.

Cheers. Should have specified shows that started this season.
...Scum's Wish is the only one that sounds vaguely interesting to me but i see its still an ongoing manga that im probably never gonna read so eh.

The Scum's Wish manga is ending and the anime will be a complete adaptation of it, if that matters.

Dali

Looking for recommendations on guitar band anime. I wasn't interested in Beck when it came out but I'm aware of it. I don't think it's on crunchyroll, hulu or Amazon though.

Just watched all the available episodes of bang dream (too idoly but the instrument focus was enough to keep me watching) and Fuuka (really liking this show) and I want to see more of the same. Please no classical music anime. Just interested in rock focus for now.

Looking for recommendations on guitar band anime. I wasn't interested in Back when it came out but I'm aware of it. I don't think it's on crunchyroll, hulu or Amazon though.

Just watched all the available episodes of bang dream (too idoly but the instrument focus was enough to keep me watching) and Fuuka (really liking this show) and I want to see more of the same. Please no classical music anime. Just interested in rock focus for now.

K-ON!!

Cornbread78

Looking for recommendations on guitar band anime. I wasn't interested in Back when it came out but I'm aware of it. I don't think it's on crunchyroll, hulu or Amazon though.

Nana.

Rogue Hero ep.8
Dude is way OP, but it's all trash and the story is nonsense. At least we got a fake bath scene in the middle of the battle.

Narag

Looking for recommendations on guitar band anime. I wasn't interested in Beck when it came out but I'm aware of it. I don't think it's on crunchyroll, hulu or Amazon though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_aTC1MCY0

NANA has bands and guitarists so that's gotta count.

Andrew J.

LWA 10

Great episode, I LOL'ed several times. Akko's super-shoujo face, Diana's bitch posse fainting dramatically, Sucy being totally unapologetic, that hilariously kinetic bee fight, all pure gold.

The way Japanese people pronounce "Andrew" is super weird.

So the earl hates witches, and forbade his son from practicing music because it's "effeminate"...is this going to end up as a big metaphor for sexism? I got enough of that for a lifetime with Utena.

Space Dandy episode 20.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Mm, Detroit Metal City is about metal, and Gravitation is gaybait.

Dali

I remember k-on getting a lot of attention here years back. It looked too idoly so I ignored it. I guess I'll give it a try.

I remember watching a few episodes of nana too and nothing stands out in my mind as being bad. I'll go back and check it out if it's on any of my streaming services.

Will look into Detroit metal city as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. If any more that aren't too old come to mind, they're welcome.

Clov

I remember k-on getting a lot of attention here years back. It looked too idoly so I ignored it. I guess I'll give it a try.

I remember watching a few episodes of nana too and nothing stands out in my mind as being bad. I'll go back and check it out if it's on any of my streaming services.

Will look into Detroit metal city as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. If any more that aren't too old come to mind, they're welcome.

Keep in mind this about K-ON so you won't be disappointed; there is music and performances, but first and foremost it's a slice of life show. It might not be what you're looking for.

In terms of other band anime I know you want to focus on rock for now, but if you feel like something different Kids on the Slope is a great anime about jazz music.

Was super sick yesterday, still recovering today. Nastiest stomach flu that I ever remember having since I was a child... Anyway.

Zestiria - 22

The fight scenes were so damn cool. CG galore, but I'll allow it. Seems like the final battle is upon our heroes.

Gundam IBO - 47

So Atra is pregnant of Mikazuki and wants Kudelia to be as well LOL. Aren't these kids still, well... kids?

Chindogg

So I'm trying to introduce my wife to more anime and because of the movie at the end of the month she's interested in seeing the original Ghost In The Shell.

Since the release I had was an old VHS from 1997, what's the best possible release for this film that's available?

Cornbread78

Chaika S1-END
"I molted" lolololol. So happy the blood thirsty one is back! Not a bad conclusion to season 1 after everything that happened. There are a LOT of different plots to try and finish in 1 season though... Kinda scared the show should have been three seasons, but never made it; we'll see..

So I'm trying to introduce my wife to more anime and because of the movie at the end of the month she's interested in seeing the original Ghost In The Shell.

Since the release I had was an old VHS from 1997, what's the best possible release for this film that's available?

You can buy the original DVD at Walmart for like, $5.

Yeesh. If we weren't trying to be a legit review website that'd make me seriously consider cancelling and just wait the extra week. Couple this with their poorly run contests, crap DBS quality on the Roku and periodic streaming issues and Crunchyroll is hardly my favorite anime company these days.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Probably this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002RQ2T4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Whatever you do avoid the rerelease known as Ghost in the Shell 2.0

Narag

I think we're waiting to see if the new BD out this month is any better than the previous ones.

duckroll

Haven't watched anime in weeks. Silent Voice is showing here now and I'm not even excited. Might catch it next week. Maybe. But this week I'm watching Kong, Beauty and the Beast, and Logan. Send help.

zulux21

Mahou Shoujo Madoka question.

I have been meaning to watch the series forever and am likely going to get around to it soon.

I see that it has two recap movies. the first that covers eps 1-8, the second that covers 9-12.
I know that the first one had to remove some scenes, and the second one adds some scenes.

I am not going to watch both the tv series and the recap movies so my question is..

should I

A. Just watch the TV series and ignore the movies.
B. Just watch the movies and ignore the TV series.
C. Watch episodes 1-8 of the TV series and then watch the second movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom