• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
New opening

_the_idolmaster_14_19ins09.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm ready for that emotional rollercoaster.

Hamst3r

Cleopatra (1970): Well that was bizarre, and funny, and touching, and naked. An adventure, truly.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 47 - This is very Saturday morning cartoon and original Dragon Ball. At least, that's the vibe I get from it. It's pretty good, but so far I think Dragon Ball did the tournament thing better. But there's still like 20 episodes of tournament left.

Syrinx

Interview with Monster Girls 10

About 7 or 8 minutes in I decided I didn't like this show anymore so I watched The Howling Man episode of The Twilight Zone instead.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 22

Some time to breathe, but not much.
Orga and McGillis are out of actual plans and are just hoping they can pull off something stupid. Funny how Orga came closer to betraying Macky than vice-versa, but there's still time. Surprised they made Mikazuki/Atra explicit. Not something you see all the time. Kudelia has no idea how she's supposed to react. Atra of course still wants that threesome. Time to end things where it all began.

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 10

If this marks the
end of the of Yakumo's journey(and it very well seems to be the case), I'm okay with it.

Really serene episode, brings up a lot of things that assure the future of Rakugo.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim Episode 15
C6uy8t9WsAA5L1d.jpg:small
C6uy8t9WcAAB8DL.jpg:small

Best lines.

Episode could have turned out worst for Kyao and also for Daba, but Im glad Daba knows exactly how Kyao works and knew exactly what to say to get him to realize the errors of his ways. I thought he would be all mad and angry especially when they were in the jail cell but he didnt.

Good friendship development moment.

Clov

Cleopatra (1970): Well that was bizarre, and funny, and touching, and naked. An adventure, truly.

I really need to watch this one at some point. If this is the animation title that Cinelicious Pics (who brought over Belladonna) was chasing after, hopefully they'll be able to get over the hurdles they've run into soon.

On a different note, RightStuf confirmed that they're releasing Sora no Woto on BD. Looks like they managed to work something out with Aniplex Japan. It would be nice if they were able to license some of their older properties they don't plan on touching, though I wouldn't be surprised if whatever deal they have applies only to this title.

Cornbread78

3-Gatsu ep.21
Much "calmer" episode than with some fun stuff in Shimata's hometown. Also, finally got another glimpse of the sisters, but I really want to know how big sister knows so much about Two. They never did expand on that before going into the Shimata arc.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 22

From the potential to become 'King of Mars' to begging for money and even considering ditching their identity. Orga went from a proud leader to someone unable to bear the burden of his crew, in an act of paranoia considers sacrificing himself for the safety of the rest
. All of that was more or less something we saw coming in some form but the show does a pretty compelling job. Rustal is a formidable enemy, has the air of a capable individual; McGillis is cunning but also an interesting enough villain.

I'm liking how the story has progressed so far and we're almost at the end. I guess it's safe to say IBO is good or at least worth keeping up.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 45 – The Couple Alone - Lonely Twin Exorcist

So many of my fav stories involve the rival that is obsessed or madly in love with the lead and just wants the pleasure of having a good time with their whole hearted attention. Poor Yuto having it as his purpose in life but having to compete with his own sister, Benio, for Roku's attention.

Good fight. Though it leaves me wondering what happens after Yuto.

Tales of Zestiria the X 22
This has kind of gone off the rails. They've rushed through so much that none of the villain's motivations make any sense and now it just feels like a collection of random scenes.

Zestiria X 22

What the fuck is going on anymore? The sudden desire for the anime to make Symonne and Lunarre relevant is pretty bad, and nothing about this final battle really felt like it was properly built up at all. At least
Alisha got to armatize.

Thoraxes

Sora no Woto BDs from Nozomi (pre-AoA acquisition, surprised but happy about this).
MS Igloo, (non-collector's edition) Gundam Thunderbolt, and Gundam Wing DVDs/BDs announced/confirmed for 2017.

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/840978910909222917
https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/840978718218682368

I'm gonna die from happiness when they fully animate like all 6 performances.
Truly this is what happiness feels like.

CHAOS;CHILD Episode 7

Not like this, no!!!
Itou really. A little relieved that it was implied someone had him under control, but to go out like that...will hope he survives. But this murder, havent seen something like it since Psycho Pass

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 6

Movie is starting to look pretty good. So Ichika thinks Akira is a boy. More interestingly, she lives next door to Ichika. That could prove interesting. Ichika is making progress on Akira much faster than Tsubomi did on Itsuki. Akira has a sickly little sister. Lots of parallels to Itsuki actually. Yukari seems to have a past with Akira. That'll be fun. Our first quick transformation of the season. I like it when that happens. Akira is a dog? I thought she was a fox. Yukari clearly just wanted a laugh at Ichika's expense, but Himari and Aoi not telling Ichika is odd. I guess they figured she'd learn sooner or later. Cure Chocolat's transformation is the definition of stylish. And I don't think it's an established rule that only girls can be Precure, so I won't harp on Ichika for that mistake. I was kind of hoping Ichika would go a few more episodes without realizing it though. Hopefully they don't completely drop her crush.

The high schoolers and Aoi are going to dominate this season. They're going to be great.

DiGiKerot

Idolmaster - EP 15

What an outstanding comedy episode, why did I just wait 6 years to watch this wonderful show? I feel like I'm only good 1 1/2 episodes away from turning into an idol concerts going otaku.

The funny thing about the whole box opening is that it was based on a real incident with the VAs.

Also the giant robots ended up being event campaign characters in the Super Robot Wars mobile game fairly recently.

I remember that. I think I even posted about it in the 2011 thread back in the old days of my memories.
If I could only tell my 2011 self to watch the goddamn show but I guess my bad experience with Xenoglossia were just too fresh.

Jex

Yu Yu Hakusho - 47 - This is very Saturday morning cartoon and original Dragon Ball. At least, that's the vibe I get from it. It's pretty good, but so far I think Dragon Ball did the tournament thing better. But there's still like 20 episodes of tournament left.

I'm not going to claim to a great expert of Shounen or even Tournament Arcs in general, because that's not really my scene, but I'd be surprised if you still had the same feeling once the Dark Tournament Arc concludes.

People do like to go on about how it's one of, if not the best, Tournament Arcs ever and while I lack the genre knowledge to draw a plethora of comparisons with other works, I think the strengths of the arc are easily highlighted:

- Set-up: The central villain of the arc, and his strength vs. the strength of our protagonist is established even before the arc begins. This 'laying out the tracks' so far in advance makes the build-up, and eventual conflict with the Big Bad, more satisfying.

- Story Relevance: Related to the above, the actual reasons for our heroes to take part in the tournament is established for not only purely dramatic reasons, but for emotional ones too. Our protagonist has an extremely compelling emotional reason to take part in the proceedings and take out the Big Bad, and it's not just "save the Earth" or "Be The Strongest Fighter".

- See Our Heroes Do Cool stuff: Like any good action series, seeing characters pull off unexpected and cool powers that have only hitherto being hinted at is pretty exciting and fun. Surprises are cool, and when you have our characters get to strike out on their own they get to pull off some pretty interesting stuff.

- Akiyuki Shinbo: Shinbo was heavily involved with the direction and storyboarding of various episodes of YYH, but his best and most memorable work in the series is his work on the Dark Tournament Arc. Often, shounen is a genre where individually talented directors and animators get a chance to run wild every so often, and what better place to do than in a tournament arc where lots of crazy things can occur. Shinbo is a director whose highly striking subjective style makes him uniquely suited to depicting these kinds of events.

- Catharsis & Epilogue: Not only does the finale of the arc providing some very satisfying emotional pay-off, but it's also followed by an extremely powerful epilogue which I won't get into here. Suffice to say, there's significant fallout from the events of the arc which get paid off in a very memorable way.

- Cute Commentator Girls: Need I explain this point?

I mean, I guess on the downside, it is still pretty long. But in a way that feels more earned than normal.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 22:

This is what we call being on the wrong side of history. Also, remember when Kudellia had her own agency and storyline and all that jazz?

Oh man, that Crunchy rep in the Reddit thread...hoo boy.

I think Miles makes mistakes by trying to engage as much as he does online - sometimes it's better to just cut loose - but given how anime fandom is full of people who believe they're entitled to get anime for totally free, and that apparently anime creators should work for free, I can understand why he gets frustrated.

Narag

- Cute Commentator Girls: Need I explain this point?

Koto wasn't why I bought the BDs but that's what I tell people nowadays!

I think Miles makes mistakes by trying to engage as much as he does online - sometimes it's better to just cut loose - but given how anime fandom is full of people who believe they're entitled to get anime for totally free, and that apparently anime creators should work for free, I can understand why he gets frustrated.
Also anime fans and their inability to be wrong about stuff.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 498 – Hidden Leaf Story, The Perfect Day for a Wedding, Part 5: The Last Mission

I still chuckle at Kiba actually wanting to be Hokage. I remember in the manga it had felt like something to come out of nowhere. If only.

Masamune-kun's Revenge Episode 8 – It's Not You
C6vu0A1W0AI4It9.jpg:small
C6vvCT_WcAMFNkf.jpg:small

Best composer working his magic on this average show. Also great workout scenes.

I didnt think Masamune was going to choose someone. I kind of hoped he stayed non committed and just focused on revenge.

phaze

Brave Witches 3
where's world witches series lore expert phaze to tell me if this is Gunbuster with witches or not

Judging by the screencap, it doesn't disgustingly betray it's hard work ethic by having a protagonist coast to her position by the virtue of her bloodline and resultant connections so no.

3-Gatsu ep.21
Much "calmer" episode than with some fun stuff in Shimata's hometown. Also, finally got another glimpse of the sisters, but I really want to know how big sister knows so much about Two. They never did expand on that before going into the Shimata arc.

Akari didn't even know his sister is his sister so I'm not sure why you think she knows anything.

Hanasaku Iroha 1-12

So far, enjoyable is the name of the game. Even with the somewhat variable writing quality but most of the stuff that irked me was in the the very beginnings. Ohana is a really endearing and fun to follow protagonist and her arc so far the highlight storywise. PA Works did put a shift in here, especially with the backgrounds but also with character animation that seems above average.

OP&ED combo is sublime, Nanoripe 5 ever etc ...

phaze

Did Jack's previous, ancient, offering had some kind of ending or story beats that needed to be seen before you jump into the new one ? I've caught a plethora of eps back in the day but never in an organized fashion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Did Jack's previous, ancient, offering had some kind of ending or story beats that needed to be seen before you jump into the new one ? I've caught a plethora of eps back in the day but never in an organized fashion.

Nope. Maybe watch the pilot movie to get a rough idea.

I barely remember anything from the original series except bits and pieces, but you only really need the initial plot setup for this new season. There's definite callbacks and stuff.

Narag

Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD 11

Expected wrap-up given what the ED had implied all this time. No idea what next ep is then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom