• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

While not directly anime related, I want to thank whoever mentioned The House in Fata Morgana in this thread. I've been playing it over the last few days, and I think I'm getting close to the ending now. It's brilliant, seriously. By far the best visual novel I've ever played. The writing, the music, the art; I love it all! I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 38

New year's episode one week after New year's that could have been about Koharu spending the holiday at the Kasumi household if this show's writers had foresight instead of shipping her off because she was in the way and/or for a training arc. Show stays losing, I stay watching.

Lily is going to make S4 on the Song Class side. Whether Mahiru and Ako !make it will depend on whether or not the show feels comfortable breaking up the 4-character dynamic going on now.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So today I'm watching Tales of Zesteria the X on funimation's site and when I get to episode 13 it says that it's only available for subscribers. Is it like crunchyroll where if you're not a subscriber then you have a wait a week before you can watch, or will I have to wait until some time in the future for future episode to be made available for free?

Line_HTX

ADTFOEL.png

Descendant of the descending.

Bwong.

So today I'm watching Tales of Zesteria the X on funimation's site and when I get to episode 13 it says that it's only available for subscribers. Is it like crunchyroll where if you're not a subscriber then you have a wait a week before you can watch, or will I have to wait until some time in the future for future episode to be made available for free?
yea funimation has the same system that CR has where subscriber have a one week exclusivity. At the very least Zestiria should be like that. I don't know how they do it with their dubbed only show.

Why is there still filler after Naruto ended? I barely realized the arc ended. Last episodes had some epic animations. I guess they put in all the budget into that Sasuke Naruto fight. They added some stuff I think, I can't remember since the manga ended such a long ass time ago but overall I enjoyed it.

Ghost in the Shell 2:Innocence

First impression coming off the first movie last week: UGH BAD CG RIGHT AT THE INTRO. I was kinda expecting it this being from 2004 and all but still. A pretty damn hard blow. Luckily, they used it pretty damn well in other parts. Pretty impressive animation stuff here, even though it was all clearly computer made. It's very noticeable. HOWEVER there were still tons of beautiful shots spread throughout the movie. Here's a handful of the ones I took while watching (there were more, but I'd just be showing you guys the whole movie lol).
SveuwmD.jpg

Y9nsHJI.jpg

2NRCcKg.jpg

mzs17jl.jpg

MRe9AOo.jpg

xPLMQTh.jpg

1KfrotL.jpg

7VdUOwd.jpg

KFAeCos.jpg

Had to include this one lol
Something that I believe was lost in this movie was the simpler nature of the plot from the first one. It was straight forward, even with the heavy usage of imagery. In this one I would oftentimes be a little confused and lost. I also wonder why they felt the need to insert famous quotes at every opportunity they got. Boy if you thought Psycho-Pass overdid it in that regard, don't even watch this movie. Overall though I enjoyed this, although it did use CG pretty heavily, it had its moments with great framing and cinematography. The plot was a little bit obtuse in my opinion when compared to the first one but it wraps up rather nicely.

With that said I'm done the GITS movies Universe, and will be moving on to Stand Alone Complex (at some point?). Now THAT is gonna take a while lol.

MSMrRound

Symphogear 1-13
No complaints with the last ep it was a great way to end it. Glad I did becuase now I got something to watch. Action was great, and enjoyable to watch each ep. I hope G is even better.

Oh definitely. You should be able to tell by the first episode of Symphogear G as to how much the team had improved as a whole. G's probably my favourite season too.

I also like to refer to G as
the season with cliffhangers galore
mmm. Can't resist the way they mixed the ending of the episodes into Ayahi Takagaki's (who voices Chris) Next Destination.

Hunter x Hunter Episode 33
download.png

I feel like I should feel something.

So I should probably begin this by saying I'm not gonna drop HxH. I've been more or less told that I should stick around by Toonami-gaf, that it picks up soon. That things look better retrospectively eventually. That said, I can't escape the feeling the first 1/5 of this show is, I don't know, sexless? Like there's no meat on it at all. There's no moment that surprised me for long or blew me away. That's probably because of the characters to be honest. What makes or breaks a show like this for me is the characters, and as soon as the show is about to dive into one of the characters, I feel like it pulls back. I don't feel like I know Gon and his friends at all. Their relationship with one another is this vague sort of friendship that makes me feel like I missed an arc somewhere where they all bonded together. While hunter license arc had a few interesting character moments in of itself, but I don't think it ever gave me a good reason to care for these characters. The Zoldyck Family arc by contrast felt like it was entirely set up for future events. I feel like nothing of immediate note happened that arc. Felt like the show was basically just introducing the family, saying "Yo, these guys are gonna matter later." Now in the most recent arc we're learning about Nen, which does give the previous arc a few moments of "Oh, so that's how that worked huh?" Outside of that tho, I feel my attention slipping.

I feel like the show dodges a lot of issues associated with this genre, but it doesn't have anything to immediately draw me in. There's no interesting character dilemmas and the world itself hasn't been explored at all. (What the hell were those talking fox yokai things back at the beginning? Why does this world feel like it alternates between the real world and one piece?) HxH so far has been consistently okay to watch, and just that. Never amazing and never terrible. It's this kind of flat experience I have every Saturday night that I don't think on once it's over.

So I should probably begin this by saying I'm not gonna drop HxH. I've been more or less told that I should stick around by Toonami-gaf, that it picks up soon. That things look better retrospectively eventually. That said, I can't escape the feeling the first 1/5 of this show is, I don't know, sexless? Like there's no meat on it at all. There's no moment that surprised me for long or blew me away. That's probably because of the characters to be honest. What makes or breaks a show like this for me is the characters, and as soon as the show is about to dive into one of the characters, I feel like it pulls back. I don't feel like I know Gon and his friends at all. Their relationship with one another is this vague sort of friendship that makes me feel like I missed an arc somewhere where they all bonded together. While hunter license arc had a few interesting character moments in of itself, but I don't think it ever gave me a good reason to care for these characters. The Zoldyck Family arc by contrast felt like it was entirely set up for future events. I feel like nothing of immediate note happened that arc. Felt like the show was basically just introducing the family, saying "Yo, these guys are gonna matter later." Now in the most recent arc we're learning about Nen, which does give the previous arc a few moments of "Oh, so that's how that worked huh?" Outside of that tho, I feel my attention slipping.

I feel like the show dodges a lot of issues associated with this genre, but it doesn't have anything to immediately draw me in. There's no interesting character dilemmas and the world itself hasn't been explored at all. (What the hell were those talking fox yokai things back at the beginning? Why does this world feel like it alternates between the real world and one piece?) HxH so far has been consistently okay to watch, and just that. Never amazing and never terrible. It's this kind of flat experience I have ever Saturday night that I don't think on once it's over.

That's because you're watching the 2011 anime.

Narag

Give it till Yorkshin at least and Kurapika taking the spotlight for a while. Everyone's still present but putting him in focus helps expand the world due to his own motivations and what he's willing to do to see them through.

While I was generally enjoying Hunter X Hunter 2011 at the point you're at, the show really doesn't hit its stride until the Yorkshin arc.

Gon and Killua are essentially reduced to side characters for the whole arc and Kurapika becomes front and center.

Honestly Gon and Killua don't really shine and become great until the chime ant arc imho. They're just ok until then. But all of the shit they go through in that arc makes them great.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Battle Tower is when the show starts opening up. York Shin is when it busts open.

But yeah in many ways but the music the 1999 anime was better.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Fafner in the Azure: Dead Agressor 2-12

the first 10 episodes were kind of boring, but the last 2 were better
Kazuki just arrived at the other island
. It has a lot of interesting ideias, maybe because i don't watch a lot of mecha shows. I think battles weren't very good? i don't know the main complaints but that's what i felt.

I'm interested enough to continue watching, specially with the promise that the movies and exodus are much better.

I feel like the show dodges a lot of issues associated with this genre, but it doesn't have anything to immediately draw me in. There's no interesting character dilemmas and the world itself hasn't been explored at all. (What the hell were those talking fox yokai things back at the beginning? Why does this world feel like it alternates between the real world and one piece?) HxH so far has been consistently okay to watch, and just that. Never amazing and never terrible. It's this kind of flat experience I have every Saturday night that I don't think on once it's over.

I think HxH does character moments really well in the Hunter Exam. But fair enough, the beginning does sometimes feel like Togashi is feeling his way around. But I think by the end of Heavens Arena and the stuff after including the breather episodes before the next arc you might be in a different place.

Schoolgirl Strikers

Boring. Generic female archtypes, dumb plot just get to them in maid outfits. The Fifth dimensions is a boring city setting. Dropped hard.

ibyea

Banned
Wolf Children, Ame and Yuki
Out of the three Hosada movie I have seen, this is certainly the best. The path that both Ame and Yuki started out and how each of them ended up, with life experience changing them and reversing what they wanted from life, each ending in the other sibling's shoes, was a very compelling watch. It made the most out of the concept of having children that are half wolves, so I am impressed.

And if I may be facetious, the latter half must be in some ways like a horror movie but for grown ups. For me at least it tugged on some of that adult fears I have. That moment when I realized Ame has a completely separate path and was all grown up, and that Hana had to realize and accept that was an emotionally devastating part for me. This is one of the parts where the concept of wolf children was really well used, since wolves are obviously not like humans at all, and it makes sense that in some ways they would grow up at a different pace than a human, and aided in that increasing dread that things were changing really fast. Of course, it's not horror and that final moment is a moment of triumph, as that means she has finished raising her children into capable people. That bittersweet feeling must be how every parent must feel.

Although if I were to be slightly critical, it is that I feel like towards the end, Yuki ended up somewhat sidelined.

blurr

Honestly Gon and Killua don't really shine and become great until the chime ant arc imho. They're just ok until then. But all of the shit they go through in that arc makes them great.

I would say Greed Island arc though. At least I would choose Gon and Killua's exuberance and sense of potential portrayed in Greed Island over the darker and maybe edgy side of them in Chimera slog arc.

Jintor

Any good short anime this season or from the last few seasons? still annoyed there's no categories for it in crunchy

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
Ms Bernard Says (this is about me and narag)
Tell us, Galko-san!
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Space Patrol Luluco
Nyanbo!

zulux21

With that said I'm done the GITS movies Universe, and will be moving on to Stand Alone Complex (at some point?). Now THAT is gonna take a while lol.

I actually don't imagine it will take that long unless you really don't have much free time.

once you get going with GITS SAC it's very easy to just binge watch everything.

Fafner in the Azure: Dead Agressor 2-12

the first 10 episodes were kind of boring, but the last 2 were better
Kazuki just arrived at the other island
. It has a lot of interesting ideias, maybe because i don't watch a lot of mecha shows. I think battles weren't very good? i don't know the main complaints but that's what i felt.

I'm interested enough to continue watching, specially with the promise that the movies and exodus are much better.

You've reached the turning point, at least. While the original show never really reaches the heights of the OVA, movie, or sequel, past episode 12 is when it at least becomes more tolerable, mainly due to the writer swap.

Jintor

You only need Bernard.

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
Ms Bernard Says (this is about me and narag)
Tell us, Galko-san!
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Space Patrol Luluco
Nyanbo!

No reason to stop there really. Notable shorts from 2016 for me also include Nobunaga no Shinobi/Ninja Girl & Samurai Master, Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, Luluco, and Sekkou Boys.

Please Teach Me, Galko-chan

There's also the moe Nobunaga Shinobi.

Space Patrol Luluco

Watched Luluco and Galko, stalled on Tonkatsu, will watch Bernard and take a peak at the others. Thanks AnimeGAF!

In repayment, for AusAnimeGAF, I come telling you that Madman is having a sale that is... uh... insane.

zulux21

Watched Luluco and Galko, stalled on Tonkatsu, will watch Bernard and take a peak at the others. Thanks AnimeGAF!

In repayment, for AusAnimeGAF, I come telling you that Madman is having a sale that is... uh... insane.

hmmm looks like they ship to the US o_O

might have to see if there is anything I want to import.

hmmm blue exorcist for $33 shipped, sure one of the disks would be dvd instead of blu ray... but that might be worth it.

DiGiKerot

Do be wary of region stuff though, i forget how it works with discs

Australia is 4 for DVD (and often PAL video). They are B (which is the same as UK/Europe) for BD. You need to really check on a per-release basis for BDs, though, as sometimes the disks are multi-region due to shared manufacturing with US prints.

zulux21

Do be wary of region stuff though, i forget how it works with discs

oh they are going to be region locked... but PCs have many ways to deal with that.

I decided to import a bunch of stuff though.

after conversion fees it ran $96.92 USD

which is less that it would cost to by a single part of blue exorcist in NA.... so yeah.

Wanderer5

Little Trigger Has Saved Animemia TV #1

pDz6EOA.png

So I am going to guess that place has potatoes that are delicious.

Well this was off to a good start. Style continues to be wonderful, even with the expected dip in quality.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Interviews With Monster Girls 01/
Pretty vapid and definitely on the low end of the production spectrum for A-1. The show is pretty ugly and I don't think anyone working on it even wants to touch the dumpily designed biology teacher, because he spends most of the episode looking off into the distance instead of directing his attention to other characters he is talking to. The comedy is too light to feel clever or engaging and there really is just no insight or perspective that the show is willing to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom