• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Little Witch Academia - Ep. 1
While not as good as the movies, it was still pretty good.
Sucy defiently is more of an asshole so far than she ever was movies, but give her personaltiy,that kind of makes sense.
I'm pretty sure that they will get along once they know each other.

MSMrRound

Little Witch Academia-episode 1

I finally found some time and caught up with the first and second Little Witch Academia in time for the first episode.

Plenty of good Akko faces and thankfully, being 2cours will mean that Trigger don't have to cram everything up. Looking forward to seeing more of Akko's first days at the school, and oh hey Amanda and gang makes an appearance! (in the background).

Still plenty of time for them to explore on the world though, so pretty excited by it.

Please have an episode in which Luluco makes an appearance out of nowhere *coughs* that way, the Trigger circle will be truly complete.

Line_HTX

Drifters 1-10 eng dub

The first episode hadn't make me felt much, but I gave the dub another try and yea! I'm really liking it now, episode 2 and onward it picks up rather quickly and the comedy(based from ep.1) pass better when they are in english. Also I found a good reason to watch Drifters in Yoichi.

f29c344b4bd6edb4a2900fa08faa1c7d.jpg

My character design criteria was passed.

Is it like Hellsing Ultimate where the dub made the show better?

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

I am not a fan of how spastic the camerawork for the action scenes is. I think there's some interesting fight choreography going on, but between all the cuts, zooms, and pans I can barely make sense of it. Considering all the work that the puppeteers are doing to pull this off, I'd like to be able to actually appreciate it. Also, Sawano is at perhaps his most cheesy here; when the choir erupts I can't help but burst out laughing.

That said, the character writing itself is reasonably compelling, especially the banter between the two leads, whatever their names are. I can only hope for more dialogue and less action in the future.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

I am not a fan of how spastic the camerawork for the action scenes is. I think there's some interesting fight choreography going on, but between all the cuts, zooms, and pans I can barely make sense of it. Considering all the work that the puppeteers are doing to pull this off, I'd like to be able to actually appreciate it. Also, Sawano is at perhaps his most cheesy here; when the choir erupts I can't help but burst out laughing.

That said, the character writing itself is reasonably compelling, especially the banter between the two leads, whatever their names are. I can only hope for more dialogue and less action in the future.

Just call em' Ryu and Vapewizard like everybody else. :p

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X S2 ep.1:

fqNTskg.jpg

Rose was a really good character and this episode explored her living contradiction of what she does with the scattered bones and what is seen (of her) with the Sparrowfeathers. She helps the Shepard Sorey, yet she is a cold blooded "killer of justice" behind the scenes. Good stuff, especially with Maevyn and the General.

New ED is awesome!

Line_HTX

Just think of it like Archer is the main character and Gilgamesh is the big bad guy.

Also I love the name Screaming Phoenix Killer.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

I think a lot of that camera work is deliberate to make the action look frantic and energetic. After all, there's only so much you can do without camera and editing tricks when using puppets, even with highly skilled puppeteers.

I disliked that at the beginning too but kinda became used to it. Also a lot of the action is of a over the top, comedic nature.

Man The Last Guardian was so damn good. I still cant stop thinking about it.

Gonna watch How to Train Your Dragon and The Iron Giant now to fill the emptiness. Any other similar anime / movies?

blurr

As far as battles are concerned, I've only particuarly liked the battle in the final episode, that was intense, not just because of the emergent narrative but also the way it was executed with a brief pause followed by bursts of action.
There's one bit where Betsu Ten Gai leaps and somersaults in the air before clashing with Rin Setsu, I'd probably dig around and post the gif but it's a huge spoiler. That was incredible.

I will immediately look back to this show when I think of something that emphatically blew my mind in the recent past.

I think a lot of that camera work is deliberate to make the action look frantic and energetic. After all, there's only so much you can do without camera and editing tricks when using puppets, even with highly skilled puppeteers.

I disliked that at the beginning too but kinda became used to it. Also a lot of the action is of a over the top, comedic nature.

Of course it's done to make it look more energetic. That's the same reason Hollywood action movies will use shaky-cam or quick cuts between multiple camera angles in fight scenes. I feel it's kind of a cheap trick, however, an easy way out from having to think about providing a solid foundation for action by confusing the viewer. I value clarity and comprehensibility in action or, barring that, really extravagant and striking visuals, which Thunderbolt Fantasy doesn't really have either. Thus, assuming the direction style doesn't change, I don't expect to ever really enjoy Thunderbolt Fantasy's action.

sonicmj1

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1

I am not a fan of how spastic the camerawork for the action scenes is. I think there's some interesting fight choreography going on, but between all the cuts, zooms, and pans I can barely make sense of it. Considering all the work that the puppeteers are doing to pull this off, I'd like to be able to actually appreciate it.

My assumption was always that it would be impossible to perform that action choreography using puppets in a long, distant take, so they hide it (or construct it) out of a lot of smaller cuts. Not an ideal compromise, but perhaps a limitation of the medium.

Of course it's done to make it look more energetic. That's the same reason Hollywood action movies will use shaky-cam or quick cuts between multiple camera angles in fight scenes. I feel it's kind of a cheap trick, however, an easy way out from having to think about providing a solid foundation for action by confusing the viewer. I value clarity and comprehensibility in action or, barring that, really extravagant and striking visuals, which Thunderbolt Fantasy doesn't really have either. Thus, assuming the direction style doesn't change, I don't expect to ever really enjoy Thunderbolt Fantasy's action.

I mean I agree and this Every Frame a Painting video helped me understand why I'm so damn unsatisfied with most action sequences nowadays.

But still, whereas Hollywood usually has the means to do better, I just don't think they have many options with the puppeteering.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 27

Did Josuke forget that Rohan can literally read his mind if he wanted to?

How does he think he can get away with cheating at gambling with him?

Cornbread78

Interviews With Monster Girls ep.1
ipcrrJL.jpg

That was surprisingly entertaining to watch. The little "prank" she played on sensei with the pencils was pretty funny to watch, I just hope they don't dance on that line at all and keep it really innocent and fun. Also, succubus teacher, huh? I hope she starts getting along with sensei, what a perfect shipping opportunity, lol.

My assumption was always that it would be impossible to perform that action choreography using puppets in a long, distant take, so they hide it (or construct it) out of a lot of smaller cuts. Not an ideal compromise, but perhaps a limitation of the medium.

I mean I agree and this Every Frame a Painting video helped me understand why I'm so damn unsatisfied with most action sequences nowadays.

But still, whereas Hollywood usually has the means to do better, I just don't think they have many options with the puppeteering.

It could be; I don't know enough about puppetry to know exactly what's possible in a single take. Still, if this is the best that's technically possible with puppets, I'd rather not see any extended action at all.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 1

Instead of just jumping in the middle like the OVAs, here we're seeing the beginning of Akko's journey, right down to the botched entrance ceremony and meeting her friends. Akko is an idiot and Sucy is a dick, so they deserve each other. I feel bad for Lotte though. She was just trying to be nice and is going to be dragged into a lot of painful scenarios because of it. This looks like a winner, and seems to have translated well to a full series.

is there any other anime like dragon ball where the protagonist starts out as a kid and ends with them being an adult?
Gundam AGE

You follow the protagonist from kid gundam pilot to grandpa while following his son and grandson as well. I enjoy it but I fully admit your mileage may vary.

is there any other anime like dragon ball where the protagonist starts out as a kid and ends with them being an adult?

Like, some battle shonen or are other genres welcome too?

Kemono no Souja Erin follows Erin from young childhood to her twenties and her development is quite good throughout.

Like, some battle shonen or are other genres welcome too?

Kemono no Souja Erin follows Erin from young childhood to her twenties and her development is quite good throughout.

just any really,

im wanting to find out if not recasting characters when they become adults is just a dragon ballt thing or a common thing to do in anime adaptations

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Little Witch Academia Episode 1:

Second best show of the season thus far and is looking like a real winner at the outset here.

phaze

Kizumonogatari II Nekketsu-hen

<puffs up>

It was passable I guess ? I have to say that storywise, this arc isn't doing anything for me, putting my hopes on the Shinobu&Araragi stuff in the last one but there was a lot of well animated comedy bits and some really kinetic action to make up for that. Though how these mooks managed to put not yet Shinobu in the state she was in rather escapes me. Maybe that's some yet unrevealed twist regarding her. I think someone mentioned it in his impressions earlier that Oishi tends to elevate the absurdity of the source material wholesale and while it works for the comedy, I disliked how it lessened the impact of some heavier scenes or fights. Parts of the Episode fight are straight camp.

There were some almost Shigurui tier intestines walloping around the place so bonus points for that.

phaze

Yes, yes, yes. You're at peak Nakamura. Wish he'd work on some more literary stuff again (and not that bad movie).

You mean Psychic School Wars or some other post Grimgar current project ?

But yeah, I just instantly eat up the atmosphere he creates in MnH and this. Hopefully there will be more of the kind from him.

All in due time

I guess the theory I had
was that she was suicidal too ? And will subsequently reach some kind of understanding with Araragi on their shared predilection. I don't remember much of last Owari arc but the time travel arc kinda allows such theory IIRC.

Don't answer lol, just putting it out there.

Dangan Ronpa 3: Side:Future 9

Well I can't say I'm saddened by Ruruka's death, cause I'm really not. The fact she got a pretty gory death doesn't really make me feel sorry for her.

On the other hand,
Fuck you for killing Kyoko, Kodaka! First she's out of focus for a good chunk of the series and when she's finally back in the spotlight, she dies. And to top it all off, we still don't get to actually see Kyoko without her gloves. I am not amused.

Guess with this episode, we have our survivors
Give or take Sakakura potentially still being alive.

Tales of Zestria X S2 ep1

I liked the talk about malevolence tying in to what rose does. Too bad they don't do the husband and wife skit when they enter lastonbell. Didn't really understand why sergei joined them on drinking but it works out I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom