• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama 317/whatever

VU8dJyAl.jpg

HunmEoZl.jpg

Heh, that corporate synergy.

I'm not sure how I feel about the show being in full end game mode. Pretty much the entire episode was used for SyFy Exposition® where they just explained stuff to people for 15 minutes, and most of it is really just alien syfy nonsense about eternal life with your now standard father-son dynamic centering the conflict. It doesn't help that I have Star Wars on the brain lately, because I can't help but see Shoyo as Vader and the Altana lines as The Force. lol

But, if they're ending the show/franchise, they probably don't really have time to just have a random comedy hijinks episode. I almost expected them to come back by trolling the live action film adaptation instead, but it looks like we're just going to get end game stuff for the most part.

I guess it also explains why the love potion story was relegated to an OVA pack in rather than be a part of the show, since they just can't fit it in anywhere. :/

Paltheos

Tales of Zestiria the X S2 ep.1:

Rose was a really good character and this episode explored her living contradiction of what she does with the scattered bones and what is seen (of her) with the Sparrowfeathers. She helps the Shepard Sorey, yet she is a cold blooded "killer of justice" behind the scenes. Good stuff, especially with Maevyn and the General.

New ED is awesome!

I don't know about that. I didn't connect with Rose in the game, like, at all. Her personality doesn't mesh well enough with her jobs. While I can definitely imagine the leader of an assassin guild - So young and a merchant on top of that - Being quirky, the bright personality she usually displays and the relative scant darker side to her doesn't all come together. Reflecting on it now, after watching the show, I think it may be the case of the game not bringing her close enough to the edge. The anime has allot of close cuts to Rose which reflect the intensity and determination she brings working as a member of the Scattered Bones. The game's pretty light-handed about all this stuff... except when it's not, and the tonal dissonance is unsurprisingly jarring. Relatively speaking this is one of the easier changes to have made but hats off to ufotable nonetheless because I love them so much.

Dangan Ronpa 3: Side:Future 9[/SPOILER]

You should have watched it when it was airing! Half the fun of this show was in gathering in forums from week-to-week and reading all the fan theories. We thought we knew everything...
and we were mostly right.

Gintama 317/whatever

VU8dJyAl.jpg

HunmEoZl.jpg

Heh, that corporate synergy.

I'm not sure how I feel about the show being in full end game mode. Pretty much the entire episode was used for SyFy Exposition® where they just explained stuff to people for 15 minutes, and most of it is really just alien syfy nonsense about eternal life with your now standard father-son dynamic centering the conflict. It doesn't help that I have Star Wars on the brain lately, because I can't help but see Shoyo as Vader and the Altana lines as The Force. lol

But, if they're ending the show/franchise, they probably don't really have time to just have a random comedy hijinks episode. I almost expected them to come back by trolling the live action film adaptation instead, but it looks like we're just going to get end game stuff for the most part.

I guess it also explains why the love potion story was relegated to an OVA pack in rather than be a part of the show, since they just can't fit it in anywhere. :/

Yep, I've come to accept that we will never see the second stand arc where Kagura's is a drunk pikachu which is used to explain one of her speech habits. I could see them randomly sneaking in one or two one off chapters that they skipped if there is room, rather then extending episodes One Piece style.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, I've come to accept that we will never see the second stand arc where Kagura's is a drunk pikachu which is used to explain one of her speech habits. I could see them randomly sneaking in one or two one off chapters that they skipped if there is room, rather then extending episodes One Piece style.
It would be nice if they just came back with a batch of comedy episodes, but I guess people would be pissed that they're ignoring the main story. Which is a complete change from how we think of Gintama. lol

I expect any comedy episodes will be relegated to OVAs which will only appear in fansub form, if at all since the second Love Potion episode hasn't been subbed yet. (I find it weird that Gintama is in this position of being popular, but also unpopular among the anime fans who have the skillset to sub stuff. lol)

I get it completely, but I can't say I'm not disappointed either.

I expect any comedy episodes will be relegated to OVAs which will only appear in fansub form, if at all since the second Love Potion episode hasn't been subbed yet. (I find it weird that Gintama is in this position of being popular, but also unpopular among the anime fans who have the skillset to sub stuff. lol)

So few actual subbers exist these days that it's kind of a universal problem for anything not getting a simulcast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So few actual subbers exist these days that it's kind of a universal problem for anything not getting a simulcast.
So... I don't know how much I can say about fansubs and Gintama, but thank god for Indonesian fans.

And it looks like they are doing exactly what I expected, since at the end of Love Potion episode 2 they advertise the Kagura story as the "next episode".
7ptY0tnl.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh my god, it took like 2 or 3 years or whatever, but it's finally here.

DGN7HKvl.jpg

Flipping through the book, it's neat if you're into keyframes and concept/background art. I was hoping for any kind of commentary though, but oh well.

MSMrRound

That's a bit weird and disappointing to be honest.

Wonder why they decided to do that.

Not everyone watched the 1st and 2nd LWA so it might be part of the reasoning why they went fresh.

It's also two cours. By rebooting the series there's plenty of chances for them to flesh out the LWA world-building and introduce more characters.

dan2026

Not everyone watched the 1st and 2nd LWA so it might be part of the reasoning why they went fresh.

It's also two cours. By rebooting the series there's plenty of chances for them to flesh out the LWA world-building and introduce more characters.

I guess so :(

Mailbox

That's a bit weird and disappointing to be honest.

Wonder why they decided to do that.

i figure its the same reason many one-shots decided to retell the stories in different and longer ways for the publicized long running product.

the first LWA and the enchanted parade are basically ova one-offs and now they have funding for a full series. its much easier (and better commercially since people won't have to hunt down the original ova's just to not be lost) to just flesh out an already established storyline. as far as i can see, its not a remake the same way the recent R&C reboot was, but rather its more like how anime and manga tends to be, alt versions or changed retellings.

kinda the same reason why dragonball super went through the recent movies again before starting original arcs.

Jex

Little Witch Academia 1

Instead of just jumping in the middle like the OVAs, here we're seeing the beginning of Akko's journey, right down to the botched entrance ceremony and meeting her friends. Akko is an idiot and Sucy is a dick, so they deserve each other. I feel bad for Lotte though. She was just trying to be nice and is going to be dragged into a lot of painful scenarios because of it. This looks like a winner, and seems to have translated well to a full series.

I actually feel like that's not a conclusion you can draw from this episode in isolation, we really need to see where the show is going to go before rendering any judgement.

This episode really didn't show us much beyond material already in the OVAs:

- We see the Shiny Chariot show again
- Akko spends all episode talking about Shiny Chariot as per the original OVA
- We're introduced to Lotte and Sucy again (although Sucy is being written slightly differently)
- The gang get caught up in a wacky adventure, Shiny Rod saves the day

There's not much 'new' here because the scope of this opening didn't really allow for that. There's a bunch of episodes that need to be answered before we can see how well this holds up as a TV series such:

- How well will the the cast be fleshed out and developed throughout the season?
- What kind of story, if any, will the show be interested in telling?
- How well will the production hold together throughout the course of the series?

All these questions remain to be answered. I'm far more interested in episode 2 to get an idea of what form this show will be taking.

Cornbread78

Alisha is way better by default. Rose is an obnoxious perfect character that shows up everyone else and is constantly lavished with praise by the narrative.

They could have just played it safe and portrayed Rose as a straight evil bit(h or a tsundere type, however, I kinda of like how they had here on the edge and a total 2 faced personality for awhile in the story.

Jarmel

Banned
I actually feel like that's not a conclusion you can draw from this episode in isolation, we really need to see where the show is going to go before rendering any judgement.

This episode really didn't show us much beyond material already in the OVAs:

- We see the Shiny Chariot show again
- Akko spends all episode talking about Shiny Chariot as per the original OVA
- We're introduced to Lotte and Sucy again (although Sucy is being written slightly differently)
- The gang get caught up in a wacky adventure, Shiny Rod saves the day

There's not much 'new' here because the scope of this opening didn't really allow for that. There's a bunch of episodes that need to be answered before we can see how well this holds up as a TV series such:

- How well will the the cast be fleshed out and developed throughout the season?
- What kind of story, if any, will the show be interested in telling?
- How well will the production hold together throughout the course of the series?

All these questions remain to be answered. I'm far more interested in episode 2 to get an idea of what form this show will be taking.

I feel though that they did a good job in making a pilot episode for a TV series in that they established the personalities of the main characters, the relationship dynamics, introduced some larger mysteries and locations, as well as setting a general premise for a show. This was done in essentially the same run time as the original OVA.

Obviously we have to see how future episodes pan out but I think it's fair to say that the show doesn't feel strained in regards to the setup, which is what people mean when they say it has transitioned well into a television series. Not to mention despite the production quality drop, the animators have tried to maintain the cartoony style present in the OVAs.

I think LWA was fine as an OVA as it was, because they were only 2 of them, but for a series, I hope something... more. The novelty will wear off, and I will get tired of whimsical magical pre-teen adventures after a few more episodes.

I think LWA was fine as an OVA as it was, because they were only 2 of them, but for a series, I hope something... more. The novelty will wear off, and I will get tired of whimsical magical pre-teen adventures after a few more episodes.
What kind of adventure would you like to see?

Jex

I feel though that they did a good job in making a pilot episode for a TV series in that they established the personalities of the main characters, the relationship dynamics, introduced some larger mysteries and locations, as well as setting a general premise for a show. This was done in essentially the same run time as the original OVA.

Obviously we have to see how future episodes pan out but I think it's fair to say that the show doesn't feel strained in regards to the setup, which is what people mean when they say it has transitioned well into a television series. Not to mention despite the production quality drop, the animators have tried to maintain the cartoony style present in the OVAs.

Sure, I don't disagree with any of your points, I just don't feel like this initial episode (which I liked) has shown me anything that I wasn't expecting to get out of a LWA TV series. Everything that I had imagined would be present has been retained and I'm looking forward to see what the rest of the series will bring.

Hopefully for LWA they do a better job at storytelling and characterisation then in the OVA/movie, because while they were super good looking it was their only great thing.

I'll give it a chance once it pops up on netflix.

Sterok

Gabriel Dropout 1

Where the angels are worthless and the demons are more well-intentioned. Yup, this is the successor to Umaru all right. Should be comfy enough seeing horrible people act like horrible people.

Tuck

Blue Exorcist - 1
Not a great start, mainly because half the episode was spent on flashbacks. Also one scene - Rin and Eyebrows in the train - actually happened last season, but was portrayed differently, so I can't say I liked seeing that.

I guess I get the whole "We hate him because he's satan's son, even though he was our friend" thing, though it doesn't quite gel with the efforts they went to save him last season.

I imagine it'll be fine going forward though - they just had to establish things here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's worth noting that we already have a good idea of the character arcs of Lotte and Sucy when you contrast their personalities in LWA 1 versus OVA 1 and OVA 2. Although I predict some of the narrative tension will be diluted by our knowledge of the outcome still the execution will be interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's worth noting that we already have a good idea of the character arcs of Lotte and Sucy when you contrast their personalities in LWA 1 versus OVA 1 and OVA 2. Although I predict some of the narrative tension will be diluted by our knowledge of the outcome still the execution will be interesting.
Oh wait, the tv anime is a reboot?

Jex

It could be; I don't know enough about puppetry to know exactly what's possible in a single take. Still, if this is the best that's technically possible with puppets, I'd rather not see any extended action at all.
I think that Thunderbolt Fantasy's action sequences are inherently limited by the limitations of the medium - you're just not going to be able to replicate certain kinds of 'all in a single take' action sequences with puppetry.

Still, I don't think the biggest problem is to do with the puppetry, but to do with the editing. I understand that they have to use creative editing to mask the inherent limits of the medium doesn't mean they should get away with bad editing. Episode 1, in particular, has some fairly disjointed editing. There's also numerous times where it feels like they throw in a bunch of quick cuts that don't serve any particular purpose except to create visual intensity - these could certainly be toned down.

I would say that there are examples of well staged and coherently shot action scenes throughout the series, but there's also some really muddled stuff too.

So due to a lack of anime I feel compelled to watch, I've taken up Overwatch again.

How do I Watch the Over?

How do I Over the Watch?

dan2026

So due to a lack of anime I feel compelled to watch, I've taken up Overwatch again.

How do I Watch the Over?

How do I Over the Watch?

You complain about your favourite character being officially shipped with the wrong character.
Bitterly and without end.

I think that Thunderbolt Fantasy's action sequences are inherently limited by the limitations of the medium - you're just not going to be able to replicate certain kinds of 'all in a single take' action sequences with puppetry.

Still, I don't think the biggest problem is to do with the puppetry, but to do with the editing. I understand that they have to use creative editing to mask the inherent limits of the medium doesn't mean they should get away with bad editing. Episode 1, in particular, has some fairly disjointed editing. There's also numerous times where it feels like they throw in a bunch of quick cuts that don't serve any particular purpose except to create visual intensity - these could certainly be toned down.

I would say that there are examples of well staged and coherently shot action scenes throughout the series, but there's also some really muddled stuff too.

Yeah, I'm not asking for one take only scenes - which, as impressive as they can be, come with their own set of problems. I read a critique of La La Land which I think has merit, saying that the film is so in love with its virtuosic camera movements when working to film each musical number in one smooth take that it gets in the way of appreciating the song and dance itself.

What I am asking for is to not, as you say, throw in a bunch of quick cuts that do nothing but increase the intensity and tempo in an attempt to create sensory overload. To use an analogy from my field of expertise, I am reminded of pianists who play music at a blistering fast tempo but in so doing don't bother to distinctly articulate any individual notes and so the whole piece smears into an undifferentiated blob. Meanwhile, pianists who play at a slightly slower tempo but with much clearly articulation can actually create a greater feeling of speed, since there is more of a solid foundation that the ear can follow. I feel similarily about visual action - when you infuse your editing with a sense of constant distraction, when nothing is given any focus, then the scene becomes a whirlwind blur without any lasting impact. This is why I like the action scenes in Sword of the Stranger or You Are Umasou so much, because they're filmed in such a way that the impact of the characters' actions can be clearly felt.

Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation 1
Oh, this is the point where they have to downgrade the protagonists and power-up nobodies because how else would a shounen handle conflict during a new arc?

Confirming:

People getting cucked netorare'd:

Actual quote from MetroidPrimeRib
I'm not going to bother verifying that because I've followed his twitter long enough to assume these words are probably true and even if he hasn't said them I believe he has thought them.

Qurupeke

Fune wo Amu 1-2

I decided to give this a chance before the AOTY as the season is slow, it's short and it has gathered a lot of praise, maybe it will manage to sneak in my list too. Some random thoughts:

- Animation wise, it's excellent. I'm surprised that every character seems to be constantly in motion, either with hand gestures, body movements or even with their facial expressions. The dialogues are very dynamic, it's not just two stills talking to each other. Also, the framing really helps too.
- Majime is a rather likable character. His humble personality and his passion are the two prime aspects of his characters, but he doesn't seem like an anime caricature at all. On the other hand, Nishioka is a nice contrast and I'm enjoying his slightly smug personality.
- I think the premise is okay. It's not as exciting as Rakugo, and I doubt it will be, but it still manages to have my attention. Honestly, I'm not that interested in seeing how a dictionary is made, but Majime trying to fit in the group, his social anxiety and his potential love story are intriguing.
- Kind of mixed impressions on the more artistic choices in the show. The scene where Araki finds Majime or Majime's dream were great, but I'm not a big fan of the short "educational" skits in the middle.
-The cat is very big...

Wanderer5

Blue Exorcist - 1
Not a great start, mainly because half the episode was spent on flashbacks. Also one scene - Rin and Eyebrows in the train - actually happened last season, but was portrayed differently, so I can't say I liked seeing that.

I guess I get the whole "We hate him because he's satan's son, even though he was our friend" thing, though it doesn't quite gel with the efforts they went to save him last season.

I imagine it'll be fine going forward though - they just had to establish things here.

You are talking about them going their way to get the sword fixed? Thing is that was something new from the original anime, where that now they are getting back to following the manga for this arc, so I think it is probably safe to say those efforts do not exist for this season, unless they actually say otherwise later on, which eeeeh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom