• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the last time I watched an anime and instantly thought it was perfect for a topical news story was that Space Brothers E3 gif (which is appropriate every year)

9MO0vvo.gif

Oh yeah, and the rest Gabriel DropOut was good. Oota does it again! Satanichia's my fav.

Qurupeke

I think the last time I watched an anime and instantly thought it was perfect for a topical news story was that Space Brothers E3 gif (which is appropriate every year)

9MO0vvo.gif

Oh yeah, and the rest Gabriel DropOut was good. Oota does it again! Satanichia's my fav.

lmao Savage.

Actually If I may talk about Dangan Ronpa 3 in general, I think
Kyoko's death
was the straw that broke the camel's back for me cause I really can't ignore how much of a mess the narrative has become. Sometimes I feel like the series has no clear goal in mind and it just making shit up as it goes along. Additionally, some plot threads end so abruptly that it makes me wonder why they were even introduced. And that's not even getting into the pacing problems this show has, especially for Side:Despair.

On top of all that, so many characters get the shaft. The DR2 cast barring Chiaki, Hajime and to a lesser extent, Nagito and the imposter don't change or grow and are pushed to the sidelines. The characters in Side:Future are either killed so early on that I don't care, don't get much characterization despite not dying right away or are assholes and end up living longer than the few characters that are actually likeable and developed. Even Kyoko ends up being out of focus for most of the series until later on.
And she dies cause clearly this show likes killing off its good characters while keeping the assholes alive.

It's gotten to the point that even Side:Future is becoming a slog to watch. And I have 6 episodes left to watch that I want finish before the release of Dangan Ronpa V3. At this point I'm expecting Side:Hope to be a slap in the face.

People are gonna be in for a shock when Automata comes out. I don't know what the straw that will break the camels back will be for it to stop being the media darling, but Yoko Taro's female characters usually have...things to them you wouldn't see in anything else.

Drakengard-3_5.png

Gabriel Dropout 01

Most amusing show of the season by far. Satanichia's 'evil' antics(which stole the show by the way) and Gabriel's inability to act like an angel kept me amused the entire episode. This'll be one I look forward to every week.

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.8
Ok, so the ghost gorl is acting as some kind of catalyst to boost his powers and he managed to destroy the D1 and not kill
the doctors aide?
hmm.. Looks like tgey at least figured out where sone of their powers manifest/come from.

Szadek

People are gonna be in for a shock when Automata comes out. I don't know what the straw that will break the camels back will be for it to stop being the media darling, but Yoko Taro's female characters usually have...things to them you wouldn't see in anything else.

Drakengard-3_5.png
Meanwhile peole get mad at random buttshots.

Taruranto

Trickster #13

Trickster is back! I can't believe I missed this dumb show.

It's genuinely bad, but it's a 24 episodes mystery show that it's an anime original. In a way this makes it more interesting than a lot of shows.

Well, that or it's just Stockholm syndrome kicking in.

jgminto

Trickster #13

Trickster is back! I can't believe I missed this dumb show.

It's genuinely bad, but it's a 24 episodes mystery show that it's an anime original. In a way this makes it more interesting than a lot of shows.

Well, that or it's just Stockholm syndrome kicking in.
Did the mysteries get any better than the first few episodes? Also why is that guy still in a wheelchair?

Crocodile

This.

Also Nanoha I guess, if you watch StrikerS. But I don't like StrikerS.

Random Rant: I didn't like how in StrikersS, Nanoha et al. didn't so much look like adults but just bigger versions of their kidselves. I assume that was done for the sake of maximum "moe" but like most people don't age that way so it was kind of weird and disappointing. In a sense it felt like a bit of a cop out or like they didn't fully grow up.

Aki-at

Meanwhile peole get mad at random buttshots.

To be fair the gaf thread about it was still hugely in favour of Taro.

Who knew that covering your face and making games about giant man eating babies, killing children and incest would make you such a hit.

jgminto

I don't know what kind of straight laced games people have been playing to think 2B's outfit is gratuitous, the only sleaze there is coming from the ass hungry fanartists.

SkyOdin

Blue Exorcist - 1
Not a great start, mainly because half the episode was spent on flashbacks. Also one scene - Rin and Eyebrows in the train - actually happened last season, but was portrayed differently, so I can't say I liked seeing that.

I guess I get the whole "We hate him because he's satan's son, even though he was our friend" thing, though it doesn't quite gel with the efforts they went to save him last season.

I imagine it'll be fine going forward though - they just had to establish things here.
Those flashbacks are pretty important, since they establish the place where the original series diverged from the manga (since the manga hadn't continued from that point yet when the anime was made). It is best to forget about most of the second half of the first season, since it isn't canonical and would blatently contradict future plot points. The original anime made up a lot of stuff that doesn't happen in the source material.

I don't know what kind of straight laced games people have been playing to think 2B's outfit is gratuitous, the only sleaze there is coming from the ass hungry fanartists.

First thing my wife said when she saw the design was that it was super classy and that she wanted to cosplay as it. People are just being a bit too sensitive.

Death Parade 1-7

Interesting show so far, I can see why it's rated so highly. Im not super keen on how overly dramatic it can be, but I like the overall look and feel of things.

Hope it keeps up the quality.

Izayoi

Banned
Thanks for the recommendation on Poco's Udon World, guys. It was beautiful. I cried like a little bitch at the end, though. ;_;

Thanks for the recommendation on Poco's Udon World, guys. It was beautiful. I cried like a little bitch at the end, though. ;_;

Another one has saw the light! Poco's reign of sweetness is becoming stronger!

Also yea
I cried like a big baby the whole damn time too T.T

f8f43b53554f2b4059eaecb15f0cd528.gif

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.18
Furet, your
sacrifice will not go in vein
you are a champion amoung soldiers and deserve better than that. Pretty good epidode, but looks like lots of moral posturing from Chris' group coming up next episode.

Show was really good.

Now watch another cute one in Sweetness and Lightning.

jXJYXJt.gif

Tales of Zestiria the X 00

Why couldn't the fucking game start out like this or at least something akin to it!?
I think episode 00 is the *less good* of the bunch(it's still great), so yea the anime just keeps getting better.

Also you are watching it dub or sub? I always thought the eng dub sounded perfect for the characters.

Andrew J.

Little Witch Academia 01

Looks really great, tons of great goofy Akko faces. By its very nature the episode can't help retreading some ground from the OVA, but it does a better job putting the characters and the world into places that can undergo various arcs.

Anime is saved.

I think episode 00 is the *less good* of the bunch(it's still great), so yea the anime just keeps getting better.

Also you are watching it dub or sub? I always thought the eng dub sounded perfect for the characters.
Sub though I for once found the dub to be acceptable as well, a rare thing for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gabriel DropOut Episode 1:

This was mildly more amusing then I was expecting but it still dragged in places and I am not sold on another NEET protagonist no matter then gender.

Cornbread78

Saga of Tanya the Evil ep.1
Yeah, not sure if I will bother with this. The magical aerial battles were pretty cool, but everything else was pretty meh.

Someone try to sell me on watching ToZ The X.

Did you play Tales of Zestiria and like the characters and whatever semblance of a story it had before the whole narrative turned out into a mess due to baffling game-design choices?

If yes, then you'll probably enjoy Zestiria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom