• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Barakamon was added to crunchyroll not long ago if my memory serves me right. So he would be ok!

Seriously? Didn't realize they got it in the FuniCrunch merger.

I have not, no.

I have Crunchy, Hulu, and Netflix.

I'm trying to avoid adding a fourth if I can get away with it (Funimation) but they have some annoying exclusives that I want to watch...

Go watch Barakamon!!!!! It's an awesome show with a great tone to it.

duckroll

It looks beautiful and the story makes a lot more sense in it's new form. Plus they are giving screen time to the character that disappeared in the game and caused Japanese fans to revolt

Why do I care what Japanese Tales fans want though? I mean they're the only things worse than Tales itself!

Cornbread78

Why do I care what Japanese Tales fans want though? I mean they're the only things worse than Tales itself!

Ouch, you are on a roll tonight. Just watch it and appreciate the visuals if nothing else, lol.

Handa kun is much better than barakamon, no annoying loli.

Naru a loli? Damn DTL; we're fighting... She's a little girl and not sexualized in the slightest.. They are also two completely different experiences..

I will right after I finish Sweetness! Great recs so far! 😍

Sounds good!

Oh really, great! Guess I can bump Sherlock back, didn't want to watch something that long this late.

It's well worth your time.

convo

Some interesting reading into the canceled gundam live action movie made in hollywood
http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/

Some in cockpit sexual tension
j5t4Wq9.jpg

Grexeno

Little Witch Academia 01

Faces and animation smears: the show. I love it.

Gabriel Dropout 01
Microtransactions: not even once

Celcius

°Temp. member
Errr... what? I've been playing Tales since Tales of Phantasia on the SFC. :p

I own the Japanese ToS, the OST, and the single! I played ToV on the 360.

Ah, well then it sounds like you've given the series fair chance.
If you've never tried Star Ocean The Last Hope then I'd recommend giving it a try. Some people don't like the characters or story (which is fine) but the combat is sooooooo good.

Yesterday I binge watched Zestiria the X ep 0 - 12 and thought it was a good show *shrugs* (I still plan to avoid the game however)

Aki-at

Barakamon - 1

tumblr_n89z0a2Hbv1qckkfko1_500.gif

Well that beat all sorts of expectations I had. Straight from the opening with the right hook Handa throws on the director the show entered my good books. I'm not quite sure if it's internationally but there were a few comedic segments that were repeated 3 times (The punch, throwing Naru out and how Hina went into meltdown) that really worked well to add to the climax of the joke. Handa's consistent shocked or terrified reactions was great to see and hear, some decent voice work from Daisuke Ono.

Nicely animated with some fun characters, good to find something to watch on Crunchyroll (Which reminds me I really should get back to Space Brothers... )

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Barakamon - 1

tumblr_n89z0a2Hbv1qckkfko1_500.gif

Well that beat all sorts of expectations I had. Straight from the opening with the right hook Handa throws on the director the show entered my good books. I'm not quite sure if it's internationally but there were a few comedic segments that were repeated 3 times (The punch, throwing Naru out and how Hina went into meltdown) that really worked well to add to the climax of the joke. Handa's consistent shocked or terrified reactions was great to see and hear, some decent voice work from Daisuke Ono.

Nicely animated with some fun characters, good to find something to watch on Crunchyroll (Which reminds me I really should get back to Space Brothers... )

Did you start watching it because I mentioned it?

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation - 1

This is more than just a retelling of the movie, I hope? Still, this show just makes me happy. So glad to have it back.

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.9
Looks like we have a devious side plot starting with the
fake
chairman/director guy. Also, how much farther before they start explaining things?

So, does anyone else have an anime OP they used to love but it was ruined by the fandom(s)? I do, I used to like Higurashi's 2nd season OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1Rj5mDCrQ

And like most OPs/Japanese songs I listen to I tend to look up covers and see if they do the same song justice (sometimes even better!), but then I saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtbPa5JAxt8

which isn't bad on an objective animation standpoint, but the worst "cover" I saw was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHT_qB9AfJw

and now everytime I hear this song at random in my music library I do a small cringe and hit 'Next' on my music player 90% of the time.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Side:Future 10

I think I have reached the point where I'm counting down the episodes left before I'm done with this. In a vacuum the episodes (the Future episodes at least) aren't bad (some of them were quite good even) but when you think about the big picture it's like a puzzle only it makes no sense on where the pieces go if that makes sense.

Aki-at

Did you start watching it because I mentioned it?

Kinda, it's because of that GoldCrusader mentioned it was on Crunchy and I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

I was contemplating watching Handa kun for chronology sake but that didn't seem to get the same sort of reception as the original series.

So, does anyone else have an anime OP they used to love but it was ruined by the fandom(s)? I do, I used to like Higurashi's 2nd season OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1Rj5mDCrQ

And like most OPs/Japanese songs I listen to I tend to look up covers and see if they do the same song justice (sometimes even better!), but then I saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtbPa5JAxt8

which isn't bad on an objective animation standpoint, but the worst "cover" I saw was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHT_qB9AfJw

and now everytime I hear this song at random in my music library I do a small cringe and hit 'Next' on my music player 90% of the time.

Reasons I dont listen to covers/english versions/nightcores of the music unless its from an favorite jp song artist, like ELISAs cover of a JJBA song (cd anichro)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kinda, it's because of that GoldCrusader mentioned it was on Crunchy and I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

I was contemplating watching Handa kun for chronology sake but that didn't seem to get the same sort of reception as the original series.

:)

Cool

Is Ergo Proxy good?

Hoo boy...

...yes? I guess? It's very esoteric, and in many ways needlessly so. However, it is kind of cool in that weird 80s sci-fi way.

I know plenty of people liked it, and I personally thought it was all right. It pales in comparison to things like GitS but its still worth a watch.

I will say to make sure to at least watch more than 1 episode if you're giving it a shot. It does the whole confuse the shit out of you to get you hooked thing.

Is Ergo Proxy good?

Hoo boy...

...yes? I guess? It's very esoteric, and in many ways needlessly so. However, it is kind of cool in that weird 80s sci-fi way.

I know plenty of people liked it, and I personally thought it was all right. It pales in comparison to things like GitS but its still worth a watch.

I will say to make sure to at least watch more than 1 episode if you're giving it a shot. It does the whole confuse the shit out of you to get you hooked thing.

I watched the first episode, I didn't understand what the fuck was going on and the confusion didn't do anything to bring my interest in so I dropped the show entirely.

I watched the first episode, I didn't understand what the fuck was going on and the confusion didn't do anything to bring my interest in so I dropped the show entirely.

Yep, not surprised at all. It's a dumb thing for a show to do. If its any consolation the second ep immediately drops that.

kewlmyc

Hyouka 01-03

giphy.gif

Oreki is a good man. Chitanda would have driven me insane if I were in his shoes.

You can appreciate a show more once you grow up and your attention span widens. 5 years ago, the first two episodes put me to sleep. Now, it's been a pretty entertaining watch. Will watch more.

zulux21

I have not, no.

I have Crunchy, Hulu, and Netflix.

I'm trying to avoid adding a fourth if I can get away with it (Funimation) but they have some annoying exclusives that I want to watch...

while I can't recommend it right now keep an eye on Vrv, if it gets a bit better it should include both the crunchy and funimation content on it as well as a bunch of other places such as cartoon hangover and rooster teeth.

Narag

Hyouka 01-03

giphy.gif

Oreki is a good man. Chitanda would have driven me insane if I were in his shoes.

You can appreciate a show more once you grow up and your attention span widens. 5 years ago, the first two episodes put me to sleep. Now, it's been a pretty entertaining watch. Will watch more.

Sometimes you just have to be in the right place in your life too. I don't think I'd have appreciated something like Only Yesterday as I did without a bit of life behind me.

mAcOdIn

Is Ergo Proxy good?
Eh...
Yes, sorta, no? All of them?

It's got one of my favorite episodes of anything smack dab in the middle of it. One of my favorite protagonists who has good character progression and pretty much does everything she said she would. But it's also nonsense and has one of my most hated male protagonists since Shinji from Evangelion.
while I can't recommend it right now keep an eye on Vrv, if it gets a bit better it should include both the crunchy and funimation content on it as well as a bunch of other places such as cartoon hangover and rooster teeth.
It already does! Just it also kind of sucks. I'm not a fan of the interface at all. I'm ok with keeping the Subbed and Dubbed content separate but there's no way to just browse everything like there is on the crunchyroll app which is a pain in the ass. Also, the value proposition is only there if you were a monthly subscriber but there's no yearly plan with a discount or anything like that.

All in all it's not terrible but I'll stick to just Crunchyroll myself.

zulux21

Eh...
It already does! Just it also kind of sucks. I'm not a fan of the interface at all. I'm ok with keeping the Subbed and Dubbed content separate but there's no way to just browse everything like there is on the crunchyroll app which is a pain in the ass. Also, the value proposition is only there if you were a monthly subscriber but there's no yearly plan with a discount or anything like that.

All in all it's not terrible but I'll stick to just Crunchyroll myself.

I should have had a fully include.
right now the vrv app is missing some stuff. most notably one piece from funimation. it's hard to tell in general as there is a ton of stuff missing from the a-z lists but if you do searches it shows up (aka the app is a mess)

but yeah that is why I said keep an eye on it, ideally they update their app, add pc and ps3 support (I use my ps3 mostly to stream stuff like netflix and what not, I don't want to waste my ps4 on that at night :/) ect.

or even better maybe they will just work with funi and crunchy making it so that the log in for vrv works there as well.

I mean I get wanting to keep things all on your app so you get people to look at other things, but if they make a better app and people want both they would likely use the all in one app anyways.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 01-03

https://media.giphy.com/media/84Z29kwfbsr6M/giphy.gif

Thinking back on it, it's funny how the Kininarimasu is dialed back as the show progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom