• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyouka 01-03

giphy.gif

Oreki is a good man. Chitanda would have driven me insane if I were in his shoes.

You can appreciate a show more once you grow up and your attention span widens. 5 years ago, the first two episodes put me to sleep. Now, it's been a pretty entertaining watch. Will watch more.
More Hyouka is what we need to cleanse this thread of all the filth being fed to us that doesn't matter.
Good lord. This sounds terrifying. My thoughts go out to the poor kids that were in the house when it all happened.

MSMrRound

Kumiko in the list and Mitsuha from Kimi no Na Wa/Your Name still going strong. Nice.

Hyouka 20

Ahh the classic friends of the opposite sex got locked up in an isolated corner trope. Grr KyoAni teasing game for Oreki X Chitanda still too strong.

Their relationship had already reached a point where they are very comfortable with one another and in the eyes of the viewers, there's certainly more than a hint of mutual attraction.

Really thought it would have been a nice point to advance it to the next level..and geez,both of them braving the harsh cold instead of calling for help straight away just to preserve Chitanda's honor who was there in her father's place....talk about having a traditional mindset...

Cornbread78

Hyouka 20
Grr KyoAni teasing game for Oreki X Chitanda still too strong.

Their relationship had already reached a point where they are very comfortable with one another and in the eyes of the viewers, there's certainly more than a hint of mutual attraction.

Don't get me started.....

Szadek

Gabriel DropOut - Ep. 1
Hardly the most original premise, but it was pretty funny so far.
Onto the pile of ok-ish shows that I will probably drop in a few episodes with it.

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 16-18
The last few episode were all very strong. It took the show a while,but now it's actually pretty good.
Looks like the finally going to fight against Yuto.

March comes in like a lion -Ep. 12
Another strong episode. I almost dropped the show at one point, but I'm glad that I didn't.

Joe Molotov

Interviews with Monster Girls 01

This show is good because cute girls doing cute things, but this really stretches the definition of what a monster girl is. Dullahan I'll accept, because Monster Musume has a dullahan, making them a canonical monster girl archetype imo. But Succubi and Snow Women, come on, they just look like regular people. And a vampire? GTFO. Oh, Bela Lugosi was so kawaii in Tod Browning-sama's original monster boy classic, Dracula-chan, amirite felllow kids?

Interviews with Monster Girls 01

This show is good because cute girls doing cute things, but this really stretches the definition of what a monster girl is. Dullahan I'll accept, because Monster Musume has a dullahan, making them a canonical monster girl archetype imo. But Succubi and Snow Women, come on, they just look like regular people. And a vampire? GTFO. Oh, Bela Lugosi was so kawaii in Tod Browning-sama's original monster boy classic, Dracula-chan, amirite felllow kids?
I brought up the same thing but Basileus777 made the good point that monstergirls is the localized named when they are actually referred to as demi-humans.

Joe Molotov

I brought up the same thing but Basileus777 made the good point that monstergirls is the localized named when they are actually referred to as demi-humans.

So basically we've just been played by a marketing scam? Mgrgrgr, I'd drop it if it wasn't the best show of the season.

Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 27 – Battle Cup Begins!
C10YWuaXcAE_eUK.jpg:small
C10Yfk9XEAAlexS.jpg:small

New OP is no uverworld but its still a fun song. I also loved some of the moments in it, Ace looks cool in his Horus.

Battle arc is going by at a nice pace, I feel sad that Donny had to be paried with Charo as plot wise it means he has no chance of winning. Tiger and Ace is interesting, but I think plot will kill any hope of Tiger making it out of the round.

Donny gets most improved award.
C10VwBEWQAAsuUr.jpg:small
C10WCIpXUAArFu3.jpg:small

Chiruran 1/2 Episode 1 – Nickname

Shinsengumi shorts with some good va's, mad dog would have been best nickname.

Trickster Episode 13 – Nocturnal Dance

New OP had good moments and I love both songs.
C10eUsjWEAEMQW7.jpg:small

Love this new Koba is taking the lead and Hanasaki is dealing with emotions of the thought of seeking forgiveness.

Great start.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 30

I wonder how many people didn't watch this episode all the way through thinking it was filler only to have that reveal at the end fly over their heads for other episodes.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 1

The opening is so good. I wasn't expecting it to pick up exactly from the very last fourth-wall breaking scene of the first season, with Yotaro joking about how he's had his head down for a whole year. He proceeds to briefly recap his situation leading into the second season, with his typical exuberant performance and some creative visual framing. Then the drums come in once the credits start rolling and the music builds with the storytelling until the dramatic reveal as banner turns over to reflect Yotaro's name changing to Sukeroku - and right there the title drops, with the banner incorporated into the "Sukeroku Returned" subtitle. And then that transitions directly into the name appearing on the banner for Yotaro/Sukeroku's promotion procession. What a way to start! Hatakeyama is too good.

When this show started it felt like Hatakeyama had really restrained his style to attempt to match the real-world material, so I'm glad to see that's he's become more comfortable in incorporating some more stylistic flourishes into his direction now.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 1 – The Last Minegayama
C10nXfyXgAAcS15.jpg:small
C10l3tOXgAAONtg.jpg:small

Music is a step down from the previous seasons.

Otherwise I hope Teshima and Aoyagi continue to be the main focus and the pillars of new Sohoku, though hotshot and naruto are still my favorites.

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the Cross - Episodes 00-04

This was.... actually good?! The person who actually managed to sell me on this was dead on. This is a normal "traditional" fantasy anime with swords and sorcery, dragons, kingdoms, ruins, and so on, without weird shit. It's actually refreshing because outside of Garo the Animation (edit: and sonicmj1 just reminded me, Rage of Bahamut too!) I can't think of many decent anime in recent years that's like this. This isn't dark like Garo though, and it actually kinda reminds me of Chaika, before it got lame.

The characters are all rather likeable so far, the character designs and costumes are very colorful and attractive, there's a great use of contrast in the composite. Ufotable is really delivering on the action and the production values, although for some reason the CG shots are really distracting here. Sometimes they look fine, but most of the time the lavish pans on the 3D backgrounds are distracting, and the CG boss fights look hilarious. Sorry I mean hideous!

The music is fantastic. The direction is mostly enjoyable, but not quite as sharp as Fate/Zero or God Eater. It's just such a... pleasant show to watch. It's not super engaging (yet?) or something I would consider fantastic, but the relaxing well made tone it carries along with the Grandia-ish ruin exploration theme mixed in the traditional fantasy element, just makes it... fun to watch. I don't think I've felt this way about a Tales story since Tales of Hearts and Tales of Vesperia. Considering the reception the game got, Ufotable must be doing a really good job polishing the edges here.

Will keep watching.

ACCA-13 Episode 1

The op song was great.

Kind of wish this was more actiony than it is but will keep watching.

Is Jean really Hiro Shimono? Dont think Ive ever heard him in such a role before.

Considering the reception the game got, Ufotable must be doing a really good job polishing the edges here.

They have elevated it, though the game's writing didn't fall apart until later in the parts that they haven't gotten to yet.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought the first two episodes were garbage and I still do. The anime fails to make you care about any of the characters and the direction being 'enjoyable' is underselling how it fails at conveying both distance and time, which is important due to the adventure aspect.

duckroll

They have elevated it, though the game's writing didn't fall apart until later in the parts that they haven't gotten to yet.

Is there any chance they can save it? Is the story just bad-bad, or did the game just feel incomplete and unfinished?

I thought the first two episodes were garbage and I still do. The anime fails to make you care about any of the characters and the direction being 'enjoyable' is underselling how it fails at conveying both distance and time, which is important due to the adventure aspect.

I didn't feel that way at all. In fact, episode 01 is probably my favorite one so far. 00 just felt like a long prologue though. Could probably have been half as long, but eh, whatever.

phaze

duckroll is actually GoldCrusader in disguise. I always knew !

----

I thought ToZ got the worse the further it progressed. The story gets more and more bland and the action suffers from the switch to giant CG monsters as default opponents.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't feel that way at all. In fact, episode 01 is probably my favorite one so far. 00 just felt like a long prologue though. Could probably have been half as long, but eh, whatever.

I felt the direction in 00 was so bad that it almost was incoherent. The scene near the end with the flame tornado and the little kid was hilarious in its execution.

This was.... actually good?! The person who actually managed to sell me on this was dead on. This is a normal "traditional" fantasy anime with swords and sorcery, dragons, kingdoms, ruins, and so on, without weird shit. It's actually refreshing because outside of Garo the Animation (edit: and sonicmj1 just reminded me, Rage of Bahamut too!) I can't think of many decent anime in recent years that's like this. This isn't dark like Garo though, and it actually kinda reminds me of Chaika, before it got lame.

The characters are all rather likeable so far, the character designs and costumes are very colorful and attractive, there's a great use of contrast in the composite. Ufotable is really delivering on the action and the production values, although for some reason the CG shots are really distracting here. Sometimes they look fine, but most of the time the lavish pans on the 3D backgrounds are distracting, and the CG boss fights look hilarious. Sorry I mean hideous!

The music is fantastic. The direction is mostly enjoyable, but not quite as sharp as Fate/Zero or God Eater. It's just such a... pleasant show to watch. It's not super engaging (yet?) or something I would consider fantastic, but the relaxing well made tone it carries along with the Grandia-ish ruin exploration theme mixed in the traditional fantasy element, just makes it... fun to watch. I don't think I've felt this way about a Tales story since Tales of Hearts and Tales of Vesperia. Considering the reception the game got, Ufotable must be doing a really good job polishing the edges here.

Will keep watching.
This rightly nails the feeling I was getting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom