• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paltheos

Tales of Zestiria the Cross - Episodes 00-04

Glad you like it! Part of the appeal to me, of the game at least, is how straight it is and how quickly the game goes about establishing a sense of scale of the journey ahead. The game mucks about it in the mountain at the start a bit much, I think, and the context isn't really established as well as in the show (episode 0), but once you leave, you get a gorgeous, animated shot of the world, followed by a big overworld with exciting adventure music you're dropped into, and a clear objective. The unabashed use of the Arthurian legend together with how naturally Sorey takes onto his role without washing over the implications sold me on it. Its own twists are really fun too. A magical spirit (the lady of the lake) who fights with fire and paper!? The battle in the church after you pull the sword and first fight with Lailah is one of my favorite in the game - It really feels like a momentous occasion, the birth of the Shepherd Sorey. And Lailah's flowing combat style is gorgeous (at 60 fps!).

I think a lesser Tales game would have compromised on some of these elements, but Zestiria commits fully to them and knocks it out of the park. There's allot of things it gets wrong, but the first act as a whole is not one of them.

Aki-at

Let's not speak of that show again now that we're on a new page.

Barakamon - 2

Barakamon-episode-2-characters.jpg

Man this show is just so fun to watch, but why was the glasses girl getting so angry when Handa was talking to the blonde kid?

Amazing, I need to spread this to everyone I know.

This is true for Clannad apparently.

As for the Zestiria anime praise, I'll give it a watch eventually as well, but will wait for the series and dub to be finished and for me to beat Tales of Berseria.

Heh.

------------------------------------------

Man I have not started anything this season yet. Just waiting for Konosuba...

Edit: I think this will be my catch up season.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
look at the schedule for what comes out today and see premires for hand shakers and acca. more people wanted to post about hand shakers than acca......so this is the modern animegaf?

petran79

Banned
Decided to watch Princess Maker...eh..Princess Yucie

That show is to magical girl/shojo what Gurren Lagan is to mecha/shonen. Though it is also very underrated, despite being produced much earlier. That kind of crazy and expressful animation and characters does not work in all genres it seems.

But some episodes, especially the ones animated by Gainax, had very good quality and animation for a TV production. That character Glenda is kinda a precursor to her more adult version of Scanty and Kneesocks, in Panty and Stocking.
Character interactions are some of the best for the age group the series targets.
If you have played the Princess Maker games, you'll find the parodies and references even funnier. Though without the more kinky and adult stuff.

With Little Witch Academia finally starting, this show was the best introduction.

Line_HTX

ACCA 01

I liked this. More for a promise of things to come (going by the OP) then anything that this episode in particular but the entire premise of an intrigue within the bolt&nuts of functioning buroucracy is something I find appealing. Especially with the monarchical slant of things and the adult cast. Sadly, this doesn't look like it's going to be a looker.

Love the OP song.

There really needs to be more shows with adult cast of characters.

Jarmel

Banned
look at the schedule for what comes out today and see premires for hand shakers and acca. more people wanted to post about hand shakers than acca......so this is the modern animegaf?

The ACCA premiere is pretty boring and mostly setup. Not much to discuss.

Szadek

Decided to watch Princess Maker...eh..Princess Yucie

That show is to magical girl/shojo what Gurren Lagan is to mecha/shonen. Though it is also very underrated, despite being produced much earlier. That kind of crazy and expressful animation and characters does not work in all genres it seems.
*Adds to plan to watch list*
Well, I never read the plot synopsis, so I wouldn't know.

Like this would have been any different in any era of animegaf. Mocking GoHands here is as old as GoHands itself.

AnimeGAF has changed in modern times. Sad!
This is like the worst example possible to try to demonstrate that.

Sonicbug

Let's not speak of that show again now that we're on a new page.
Barakamon - 2
Man this show is just so fun to watch, but why was the glasses girl getting so angry when Handa was talking to the blonde kid?

Uh... that'll become clear shortly and it's probably not the reason you think it is. (Ha.)

Line_HTX

Pretty sure there's a worse looking show that broke AnimeGAF so hard it was permashook. I don't know what that show was, but I'd like to think Hand Shakers wasn't the worst of all time, haha

sonicmj1

ACCA

This is the first show (besides Rakugo) I've added to my queue this season. I didn't realize just how political it was.

The setting is basically a fake United States administered like late Tokugawa-era Japan (or is it closer to imperial China? The bureaucracy seems to be based on national exams). Thirteen territories were unified long ago, and are now governed relatively autonomously beneath a larger national bureaucracy. Each state has its own sort of character (the capital looks aesthetically like New York City; the protagonist Jean also goes to inspect a large agricultural state evoking the American Midwest). The primary conflict of this episode is centered on the Inspection Bureau where Jean works. Founded to stop dissent before it starts in the outer regions, it faces potential elimination in an era of seeming eternal peace.

70Xp3is.png
5LE8TDi.png

It doesn't have Concrete Revolutio's technicolor pop, but ACCA still has a bright, inviting feeling to it that reminds me a lot of Bones shows I like.

More than the appealing art direction and unique cultural stew (everything's in Japanese, but it's all written using English characters), I like the conflicts they're setting up. This pilot raises questions about class conflict, administration, order, and trust. Branches in the bureaucracy wage internal battles, and then must contest the power of other branches. Jean himself sits in an interesting spot, holding a position with a decent amount of power but not a lot of prestige or pay, set apart from his peers because of his family's wealth.

The episode establishes a lot of interesting conflicts, and I'm really curious to see what will set everything in motion.

zulux21

Pretty sure there's a worse looking show that broke AnimeGAF so hard it was permashook. I don't know what that show was, but I'd like to think Hand Shakers wasn't the worst of all time, haha

I know people had similar reactions to flowers of evil

Sad that konosuba is going to have only 10 episodes T.T

that is how many eps the first season had. and if I recall right the light novels aren't super far in front of where another 10 ep season is likely to end. I mean you can burn through everything but then you have huge gaps like attack on titan instead of a quick second season like this.

Hand Shakers is the new :wonzo I guess ;P

Hm.. Where's that gif with a girl running through a forest or something and there were some bushes that were like pasted on.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Like this would have been any different in any era of animegaf. Mocking GoHands here is as old as GoHands itself.
More just like...someone sees what is being released and they choose to subject themselves to some GoHands garbage they can hand wring over for the "x"th time instead of just watching the new Madhouse show.

Cornbread78

This is true for Clannad apparently

Damn fu(king right, same for Plastic Memories, Angel Beats, Kanon(2006), Air, Etotama, Your Lie in April, and especially Sword Art Online, lol.

So I was right, Hand Shakers is this season's Taboo Tattoo... However, I tsounds like Taboo was at least viewable...

I need to see how bad it is later.

More just like...someone sees what is being released and they choose to subject themselves to some GoHands garbage they can hand wring over for the "x"th time instead of just watching the new Madhouse show.

There's no relation between the two. Hell I'm watching ACCA, the few minutes I spent looking at that GoHands show didn't use up my whole day. But trying to paint this as some modern animegaf thing as if the old community wouldn't have had hundred of posts about Hand Shakers by now is silly. You're coming off as a real stick in the mud here. "How dare people make fun of bad anime when they can be watching X."

zulux21

Damn fu(king right, same for Plastic Memories, Angel Beats, Kanon(2006), Air, Etotama, Your Lie in April, and especially Sword Art Online, lol.

So I was right, Hand Shakers is this season's Taboo Tattoo... However, I tsounds like Taboo was at least viewable...

I need to see how bad it is later.

Etotama is actually a bad show though :p

and I don't recall animegaf disliking you lie in april, I recall people praising it to no end.

Qurupeke

Fune wo Amu 3-5

Nishioka and the grandma are A+ tier supporters. Especially Nishioka, I really like him. Despite the recent developments, the show is keeping its optimistic mood and characters like Majime are moving forward.

I think I had heard some bad things about episode 4, but I'm pleased it wasn't terrible or something.

Cornbread78

Etotama is actually a bad show though :p

and I don't recall animegaf disliking you lie in april, I recall people praising it to no end.

Awe hell no, that is a GOOD show that's a lot of fun to watch!

ZjqlOzJ.gif

Now on YLiA, well....... It's basically been myself and Psycho defending it's honor, lol.

Aki-at

Uh... that'll become clear shortly and it's probably not the reason you think it is. (Ha.)

Ah I'm glad I didn't miss something then! I can only wonder what crazy reason she has to be so pissed off by now haha.

ACCA - 1

Nice backgrounds and I do like the character designs but, eh, I wasn't really felling entertained or hooked but about par the course for an episode that's setting up the series. I'll wait on the sidelines and see if people continue to enjoy this before dedicating more time to it.

There really isn't anything for me to watch this season other then Little Witch Academia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom