• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oh. I watched the first season, but haven't touched the second one yet.. I need to finish up a few of tge shows I'm currently watching first..

there is a lot of novels for index. 10 24 episode seasons is a bit of an exageration, but I don't think the 4 24 episode seasons we currently have even covers half of the material that is out lol.

ACCA 1

Finally something new I like this season. What a fascinating first episode. Let me start out by saying I absolutely love the lead character's design and wardrobe. Particularly the latter. His outfit with the big bulky jacket looks swag as fuck, he pulls it off fantastically. I don't tend to compliment outfits in anime either. Maybe he reminds me of Decker from Bladerunner. The rest of the cast is fine, the chief officers outside of the darker skin guy and the glasses dude are fairly bland, and lo and behold they are the ones who seem to get along with the lead. I can already tell I'm gonna like the lead's sister and his subordinate kohai lady. No thoughts on the blue haired director who was also auditing, she didn't have many scenes.

The setting I'm not a 100% on, probably should have put more attention during the mini info dump. It seems like they're part of a mega government body with many different branches that all act fairly independently and the lead is part of essentially the auditing/investigation department that makes sure there is no corruption. Interesting premise and setting.

Seems like in this world tobacco is both a luxury and a black market item. Everyone keeps talking how it's a pastime for the rich, then we have the corruption case, and the fact the cop dude who hates the lead also seems to add it to reasons as to why he dislikes him. So maybe the lead comes from a family of money, seeing how they seem to have a building and they manage it?

On to the OP and ED. The OP while it's pretty decent, I loved the song. Seemed like something out of Persona 5. A sort of electro hip hop with hints of Jazz. The ED was one of the more beautiful ones I've seen, both in song and visually. I'd rank it high if we had to rank the ones from the past year.

Some notes from the OP/ED that probably hint at things to come:

- The cop who has it out against the lead seems to develop a crush on his sister.

- The five officers appear in the OP and it might seem to hint what they manage: White long hair seems to manage the desert area (?), black/indian guy seems to manage flora, evil looking old guy maybe manages gambling/entertainment, the royal looking ponytail dude probably deals with military/royalty, and glasses kun deals with the environment/forests?

- Not sure if the girl whispering into lead's ear is the blue haired director or someone else, possible love interest?

- Not sure if some form of symbolism or an event later, but the elder king we saw at the beginning doesn't match the king figure we see in the OP which looks to be a younger boy.

- Finally in both the OP and ED we see this blonde lady in a dress. No way in hell to know her significance but she has to be a character if they're promoting her on both.

Looking forward to watching more. Please don't shit the bed and you're well on your way to be one of my top shows of the year if this first episode is any indication.

Is it all CGI though? I could've sworn several shots where real life rooms with filters on top.

Whatever they were trying to do I can safely say that visually this made me want to gouge my eyes out.

The opening action scene might have been the worst choreographed and 'filmed' action scene I have ever had the displeasure to see in anime. The camera didn't know what the fuck to do, the CG looked like ass, and just the shots in general were nauseating. I would fire every single person involved in this show, but I feel it's probably one dude.

I haven't been this grossed out since Hardcore Henry, and that one just made me feel sick due to its camera.

sonicmj1

Well, we still don't know if it's going to be a politics drama. We still don't have drama, and barely any politics.

Did we watch the same episode?

There may not have been any open conflict, but between the department almost being cut and then being mysteriously reinstated, the interest the higher-ups are taking in Jean, the string of arsons, the interference of the Director-General, and the potential coup d'etat mentioned at the end of the episode, there's a hell of a lot of political drama going on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm 27% into ACCA and 25% of this show is exposition.

I'm 27% into ACCA and 25% of this show is exposition.

seems like it'll be a complex show, don't think they have the luxury to smooth you into the wild ride if they have a limited amount of episodes and want to move on from you learning the setting. I'm still not even 100% sure about the government body and how it fully works.

Wanderer5

Turned off Hand Shakers few mins in lol. That was, er...

Shall see how ACCA goes. Should catch on March Comes in Like a Lion, but eh probably the backburner it will go for now.

Did we watch the same episode?

There may not have been any open conflict, but between the department almost being cut and then being mysteriously reinstated, the interest the higher-ups are taking in Jean, the string of arsons, the interference of the Director-General, and the potential coup d'etat mentioned at the end of the episode, there's a hell of a lot of political drama going on.

Yes, I noted too the interest of the higher ups and the coup d'etat, but with this being the first episode, we don't know if that will be the main drive of the rest of the series, or will be left in the back burner and only used sparingly until they are closer to the end of the series. I mean, it could be a possibility.

Both the anime and the manga are classified as Slice of life / drama, btw.

edit: the manga is only 6 volumes as it's complete, I see it possible to adapt the complete story in two cours, or even in one if they limit themselves to whatever it's more important.

Yes, I noted too the interest of the higher ups and the coup d'etat, but with this being the first episode, we don't know if that will be the main drive of the rest of the series, or will be left in the back burner and only used sparingly until they are closer to the end of the series. I mean, it could be a possibility.

Both the anime and the manga are classified as Slice of life / drama, btw.

edit: the manga is only 6 volumes as it's complete, I see it possible to adapt the complete story in two cours, or even in one if they limit themselves to whatever it's more important.

god I'm hoping they do it in two. Don't rush it out.

I'm just happy being an adaptation of a complete story and NOT ANOTHER UNFINISHED LN ADAPTATION.

Yeah, but it's Madhouse...the studio that hates to finish...anything, and leaves all of their series on cliffhangers (cries for No Game No Life, Btooom, and pretty much everything without "Death" in the title).

Yeah, but it's Madhouse...the studio that hates to finish...anything, and leaves all of their series on cliffhangers (cries for No Game No Life, Btooom, and pretty much everything without "Death" in the title).

I'm not sure why you're blaming "Madhouse" for inconclusive endings to anime adaptations of ongoing works when

1) Most anime adaptations of ongoing works have inconclusive or semi-inconclusive endings no matter what studio is animating them.

2) Madhouse has in the past animated several complete adaptations of completed works, such as Monster, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Mouryou no Hako.

3) Deciding on an ending for a given anime adaptation has little to do with the studio and everything to do with the decisions of the director, scriptwriter, and producers working on the project.

That's not really a Madhouse thing.

Plenty of studios do that. And Madhouse have made tons of shows that end conclusively. Even when they don't have conclusive endings, it's not like they end most of their stuff on cliffhangers.

All I want is for them to finish the series effectively. I'm never going to read the novels, so please for the love of god finish the story. This anime industry trend of 'go buy the novels' has to fucking end at some point.

I'm not sure why you're blaming "Madhouse" for inconclusive endings to anime adaptations of ongoing works when

1) Most anime adaptations of ongoing works have inconclusive or semi-inconclusive endings no matter what studio is animating them.

2) Madhouse has in the past animated several complete adaptations of completed works, such as Monster, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Mouryou no Hako.

3) Deciding on an ending for a given anime adaptation has little to do with the studio and everything to do with the decisions of the director, scriptwriter, and producers working on the project.

That's not really a Madhouse thing.

Plenty of studios do that. And Madhouse have made tons of shows that end conclusively. Even when they don't have conclusive endings, it's not like they end most of their stuff on cliffhangers.

It has more to do with what I watch from them, and how they tell stories, it makes it hard to see shows that are clearly set up for second seasons they'll never get. I still love what they do.

Edit: Btooom at the end saying "Continue?" made me go crazy!

No Game No Life ending by basically setting up the next arc did too!

zulux21

All I want is for them to finish the series effectively. I'm never going to read the novels, so please for the love of god finish the story. This anime industry trend of 'go buy the novels' has to fucking end at some point.

when the anime industry ends it will end.

the point of anime is to get you to go out and buy other stuff.

thus go buy the novels/manga is kind of the point of anime in general. (those and figures and what not)

the actual anime series itself is almost never going to sell well enough to be worth it on their own. merch is the game.

doesn't finish anything
pumps out 148 eps of hxh

My roommate watches HxH and he tells me the series doesn't feel like it's over and that there are things that still need to be resolved. Is that not the case? Because if so I can get him to be quiet about it! :p

My roommate watches HxH and he tells me the series doesn't feel like it's over and that there are things that still need to be resolved. Is that not the case? Because if so I can get him to be quiet about it! :p

You can blame the author on that, who keeps going on hiatus.

If somebody ever releases a Dragon Quest game starring idols, Berserk and HxH are doomed forever.

Narag

The two main characters have their arcs resolved as the goals they established early on were achieved after much trial & tribulation so the adaptation feels complete. There's cool stuff in the manga that takes place after like my boy Hisoka going after the Spiders finally but that's irrelevant to Gon reuniting with his father or Killua escaping the shadow of his family name.

Moaradin

I want more if only because I love the series and the stuff the manga goes into is dope as fuck, but I would also be satisfied if that was the actual ending.

Well, technically yes, there are some things that need to be resolved. The Phantom Troupe, Kurapika, The Dark Continent, Hisoka, etc.

But it's done in a way in which you don't leave the story unsatisfied. 148 episodes full of great content is a far cry from 12 episodes of a LN adaptation that has little to nothing of significance.

Well, technically yes, there are some things that need to be resolved. The Phantom Troupe, Kurapika, The Dark Continent, Hisoka, etc.

But it's done in a way in which you don't leave the story unsatisfied. 148 episodes full of great content is a far cry from 12 episodes of a LN adaptation that has little to nothing of significance.

For sure. He's just talking about the show all the time and is like "they need to resolve" and I block the rest out because I have no idea what he's talking about. He's all "can't wait for the next season."

Now I can sit him down tonight and be like "Hey man... Listen..."

Edit: He's all about tying up any loose ends. He still thinks Death Parade will get another season because "there is something more going on between the two higher ups" (flower dude and the girl, can't remember their names off the top of my head).

kewlmyc

I treated the last episode of HxH as the end to the series and I suggest everyone do the same. It's for the best.

At least you have something somewhat conclusive to end it on. At least you're not Berserk fans.

aGg195v.gif

For sure. He's just talking about the show all the time and is like "they need to resolve" and I block the rest out because I have no idea what he's talking about. He's all "can't wait for the next season."

Now I can sit him down tonight and be like "Hey man... Listen..."

Edit: He's all about tying up any loose ends. He still thinks Death Parade will get another season because "there is something more going on between the two higher ups" (flower dude and the girl, can't remember their names off the top of my head).

Pffft. Never mind season 2 of the anime.

The manga itself is on hiatus again.

HxH only ends definitively if nobody tells you what happens after episode 148.

Gon actually lost all his Nen
Leorio and Kurapika replace Ging and Pariston in the Zodiacs and journey with Ging to the Dark Continent
The "Dark Continent" is actually the entire rest of the world and the current HxH world is just a bunch of islands in the middle of a lake
Hisoka and Chrollo fight in the Heaven's Arena and Chrollo wins because he borrowed Spider abilities. Hisoka swears to start a crusade to kill them all. Then he kills two immediately.
The reason why journeying to the Dark Continent is banned is because people keep picking up Biblical Plagues that you can't fight and thats why Chimara Ants are only "B" on the danger scale
The Dark Continent is some lost world shit and has that ecology where a fish gets eaten by a bigger fish that gets eaten by a bigger fish that...keeps going

It goes places. Then stops.

I mean, Hunter x Hunter literally adapted everything that they could in a satisfying manner at this point in time.

But the next arc will definitely be animated when it's finished. That just might take six or seven years at the rate Togashi puts chapters out and how long the arc will probably be. (And then they might just do a brand new adaptation from the start, like how they did the 2011 version rather than just animating the Chimera Ant arc, but who knows at this point)

Thud

The character arcs of Killua and Gon are basically finished, unless Togashi wants to revive them later on. It's all kurapika in the manga, well if it's running.

Also that hisoka manga was fantastic (not togashi).

Narag

I treated the last episode of HxH as the end to the series and I suggest everyone do the same. It's for the best.

At least you have something somewhat conclusive to end it on. At least you're not Berserk fans.

just a few months until we more berserk anime. hype

The character arcs of Killua and Gon are basically finished, unless Togashi wants to revive them later on. It's all kurapika in the manga, well if it's running.

They could be finished I guess.

Kurapika's isn't and Leorio...that happy go lucky mother fucker never had a suffering arc like the rest of them

Leorio and Kurapika replace Ging and Pariston in the Zodiacs and journey with Ging to the Dark Continent
The "Dark Continent" is actually the entire rest of the world and the current HxH world is just a bunch of islands in the middle of a lake
Hisoka and Chrollo fight in the Heaven's Arena and Chrollo wins because he borrowed Spider abilities. Hisoka swears to start a crusade to kill them all. Then he kills two immediately.
The reason why journeying to the Dark Continent is banned is because people keep picking up Biblical Plagues that you can't fight and thats why Chimara Ants are only "B" on the danger scale
The Dark Continent is some lost world shit and has that ecology where a fish gets eaten by a bigger fish that gets eaten by a bigger fish that...keeps going

I have several questions about this.

So like, has Gon effectively had his MC rights taken from him now? Like, does he have no active role in this current arc like he did in the Elections arc?

Chrollo got his Nen back, Hisoka is killing the spiders and Kurapika's just okay with that?

ACCA - 01

Yooooo this was EXCELLENT. A must watch for everyone on this thread. Super stylish, super interesting, kickass OP... It's got its hooks in me.

I have several questions about this.

So like, has Gon effectively had his MC rights taken from him now? Like, does he have no active role in this current arc like he did in the Elections arc?

Chrollo got his Nen back, Hisoka is killing the spiders and Kurapika's just okay with that?

It would seem Ging, Kurapika and Leorio would be the MC of the arc.

Kurapika is going to the Dark Continent because a Prince of a Kingdom who has collected a massive amount of red eyes is going as well.

How would that work? I dont know if every light novel adaptation or manga adaptation really needs to have a full anime adaptation and I cant see people sticking around for say 48+ episodes for most of the stuff being adapted these days. I also doubt if one would really want really condensed anime trying to jam as much content as possible into 12 episodes to conclude a story (see Zetman).

kewlmyc

Too bad either I, Togashi, or the entire planet will be dead before we get the resolution to this arc. It just got started.

just a few months until we more berserk anime. hype

CLANG

Ugh, maybe they'll get somewhat better and deliver with the
Berserker Armor

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've read 75% of 72 Letters and 126% of it was interesting.

Math checks out.

ACCA 1
Mite be cool. I like how grounded it is despite taking place in the united chicken of sengoku.

Cornbread78

Hand Shakers ep. 1
Yo, this is definitely this season's Taboo Tatoo, lol. The story made no sense at all and the characters aren't very interesting, but hey, 1 shitty show per season never hurt me before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom