• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Amazon is usually fairly good with listening to feedback. I expect this to crash and burn after the complaints. They might keep the name, include it into prime, but also eventually offer it separately from Prime or something.

phaze

Fafner: Heaven and Earth
024703ess1d.jpg
024701uesyk.jpg
0247009zsdz.jpg
0247055ds1u.jpg
024714ujsgx.jpg
0247088gs79.jpg
024716qhszk.jpg
0247437usdj.jpg

Who are you and what have you done with Canon.

So uh, first things first. This looked great. Like, you get an ample forewarning that it gets better and all and Right of Left already was a large improvement but even with that, the fist twenty minutes come as a giant shock. The backgrounds, the lighting, the characters designs ... And then the action begins and it's just such a giant improvement over what came before. I'm not sure how much of it, does Exodus manages to carry through since this is a movie and all but I take it the eventual drop isn't large.

At the same time, I thought it was quite a mess storywise. A lot of it just stems from the fact that the movie is just visibly too short for what they tried to pack into it. Most of the old cast doesn't get anything to do, the new cast barely gets any proper characterization (fuck that Goubain kid by the way) At some point, the movie goes into overdrive, the Mir technobable gets more and more confusing and it all feels incredibly cramped as there's barely any breathing room anywhere. It all culminates in the last 20 minutes where the movie needs to track a dozen of separate characters and plotlines. And t doesn't help that things are increasingly happening for very specious reasons. People disappear in black holes, which for most would be a death sentence but here Kazuki comes back without even deigning to comment on the occurrence, people who were long dead come back as ... body less entities and yet manage to pilot Fafners and then ... that ending. Bring back the cast of Right of Left for me cause clearly, death means nothing in this series. The scale also seems absurdly out of the whack. Earlier, a single Sphinx type was a a threat and even at movie's beginning, the Euron type gave the crew plenty of problems. But t the end of H&E, there are like thousands of Festums attacking the island and somehow they don't wipe the defenders in a manner of seconds.

This already was a large thing in original series but since the execution of the script commands me to actually give a damn this time, I'll say that I'm just not very fond of this series' narrative crux point, it being the communication and striving for peace with the aliens, as well a the evolution of the latter. It's me being biased and all but since the subject and the resulting "pain !" , "suffering", "understand each other" really do not strike my fancy, I foresee trouble come Exodus. I'm kinda warming up towards some of the cast though. Maya was always the most bearable one but Kenji and Canon* were pretty alright too even if they didn't have much to do.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
YOU ARE SUPER SPECIAL ☆
THAT'S WHY YOU ARE HERE WITH ME ☆
MIRACLE BABY, BORN ON THE SAME SUPER STAR ☆

That's one of the only things I remember about Chaos;Head

Also the fake anime girl delusion

And the woman taking care of the dead baby because she was stuck in some delusion state.

Joe Molotov

YOU ARE SUPER SPECIAL ☆
THAT'S WHY YOU ARE HERE WITH ME ☆
MIRACLE BABY, BORN ON THE SAME SUPER STAR ☆

That's one of the only things I remember about Chaos;Head

Also the fake anime girl delusion

And the woman taking care of the dead baby because she was stuck in some delusion state.

What about the unemployed NEET that lived in a shipping container but somehow could afford hundreds of anime figures? How does he do it???

Mailbox

I got very uncomfortable watching this show. Probably because I had a very similar relationship in H.S (although I wasn't thirsty for a teacher, and you can tell this blond guy is going to get abusive and take advantage of her...) But yeah, this show was something else...

Yeah, prepare for more uncomfortableness. These aren't good people in this show. They are actively doing emotionally poisonous things to themselves and each other (I still need to watch episode 1, but I've read the manga as far as crunchy has it).

You may even be surprised as to how horrible some of them are ;)

just to make it clear in case you wanna know, no the blond main guy character doesn't get abusive to the main female mc.

Edit:
i do find it quite funny how the author actually called one of her characters a bitch in one of those "author talking to the audience" things at the end of one of the volumes lol

Yeah, prepare for more uncomfortableness. These aren't good people in this show. They are actively doing emotionally poisonous things to themselves and each other (I still need to watch episode 1, but I've read the manga as far as crunchy has it).

just to make it clear in case you wanna know, no the blond main guy character doesn't get abusive to the main female mc.

Edit:
i do find it quite funny how the author actually called one of her characters a bitch in one of those "author talking to the audience" things at the end of one of the volumes lol

I mean when we've had nothing but shit romance stories where the entire fucking show it's the chase and at the end they barely hold hands or confess, it's nice to have a show where people are just shitty and doing each other out of self hate.

I'll watch it for that alone. But I'll wait for more episodes. Also I'll wait for Amazon to see if they stick with their guns.

Cornbread78

Edit:

Well, that's good ti know at least. Interested to see how low these two can go...

Mailbox

I mean when we've had nothing but shit romance stories where the entire fucking show it's the chase and at the end they barely hold hands or confess, it's nice to have a show where people are just shitty and doing each other out of self hate.

I'll watch it for that alone. But I'll wait for more episodes. Also I'll wait for Amazon to see if they stick with their guns.

Well, that's good ti know at least. Interested to see how low these two can go...

I had a feeling that people will get frustrated with these main characters tbh. They end up just being dumb when it comes to stuff like romance and emotional well being. Though, that's actually the reason why I like the manga, because this legit feels like super dumb heartbroken high schoolers who are doing super dumb high schooler things. Despite really liking standard romance anime and manga, reading something like scums wish is kinda refreshing :p

Joe Molotov

So this is romance story where they start out together and they spend the whole show working up the courage to confess that they hate each other?

I had a feeling that people will get frustrated with these main characters tbh. They end up just being dumb when it comes to stuff like romance and emotional well being. Though, that's actually the reason why I like the manga, because this legit feels like super dumb heartbroken high schoolers who are doing super dumb high schooler things. Despite really liking standard romance anime and manga, reading something like scums wish is kinda refreshing :p

Will I enjoy it in a 'they're so dumb and edgy it's hilarious' way? Because I can also enjoy edgy melodramatic anime.

Unless it's actually fairly well written and I just get stressed out.

So like... any good anime since Ping Pong and One Punch Man?

Just checking in lol

Well, you can wait for the AOTY voting to end and look at the top 10. But seems to me like you enjoy fantastic art direction and animation, so why haven't you seen Mob Psycho 100? Also watch Thunderbolt Fantasy.

John Blade

Madlax-ep01-thumb.jpg

A good start of this show.
  • A little girl in a war torn street sitting and talking about something.
  • A group of guys trying to get away from the government force as they got something important. Unfortunately, got attack while trying to run away.
  • The MC, Madlax, go into the battlefield location and manage to find one of the guy who manage to escape the attack.
  • The guy go back to try to save his buddy but we all know it won't end well.
  • Got a shooting montage where you see Madlax become something more than human killing the entire military force without getting hit while at the same time dress like she is going for a date that night.
  • Guy die from his injury when realize it's not worth it.
  • Madlax have to eat dinner by herself because of that.

The entire shooting montage is interesting to watch as you realize you're not watching a normal anime anymore now and the MC is basically a superhuman who can kill anyone easy while at the same time, the enemies is too dumb to shoot her at all. You can say, it's kinda bullshit but this is Anime and they will be people like stupid stuff like the shooting montage. Also, have a weird triply scene from Madlax point of view when the guy go back to help his friend. Have no clue of what is it but might be a flashback of someone she know. Also, the final scene of the episode where you see this paper might be important but don't have a clue what it mean as of now. Still, enough stuff to keep me going right now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There should be a show/manga with NTR in the title, but no NTR happens.

It will be like the opposite of those other titles that have surprise NTR.

sonicmj1

There should be a show/manga with NTR in the title, but no NTR happens.

It will be like the opposite of those other titles that have surprise NTR.

That seems unfair.

I mean, imagine how SDBurton must have felt watching Yuri on Ice and waiting for something to happen.

Fafner: Heaven and Earth

I partially agree with you, in that the film was too dense thanks to feeling the need to check in with everyone in a large and still expanding cast of characters and juggle a bunch of different plot threads. The expanded time offered by a TV series helps to cut down on the density in Exodus. I think the density did confuse you on a few plot points, though, particularly on the matter of "death".
E.g., Soshi didn't die at the end of Fafner TV; he was mostly but not entirely assimilated by the Festum, who kept him alive all this time, and thus was able to be recovered. The nature of assimilation and the accompanying transhumanist concepts mean the boundary between life and death isn't always super sharp in Fafner.

It's a shame you don't like the central thematic elements of the series though. They're one of my favorite things about it, due to how strongly they hearken back to the work of classic science fiction authors such as Asimov and Clarke.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That seems unfair.

I mean, imagine how SDBurton must have felt watching Yuri on Ice and waiting for something to happen.

Well this is why the light novel title was invented. So everyone knows exactly what they're getting into when they pick up OreImo.

Taruranto

You know, I never really got the Yuri (Yaoi) on Ice joke because all you need is too google it or watch the first 3 minutes to see it's not Yuri. So the joke always fell flat with me.

Joe Molotov

You know, I never really got the Yuri (Yaoi) on Ice joke because all you need is too google it or watch the first 3 minutes to see it's not Yuri. So the joke always fell flat with me.

But what if they all got gender-swapped by the Skating Angel somewhere around Episode 6, hmmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom