• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zestiria - 07-08

A few differences from the game but overall the anime continues to follow the main plotline. I have to agree though, with only 4 episodes to go we are still around where I stopped playing. They are taking their time telling this story.
Are you saying the pacing is too slow? I thought the pace was great for the first part.

Btw episode 9 is the best.

duckroll

Zestiria - 07-08

A few differences from the game but overall the anime continues to follow the main plotline. I have to agree though, with only 4 episodes to go we are still around where I stopped playing. They are taking their time telling this story.

Well there's obviously a very specific stopping point they wanted for the end of the season. It makes sense to me. But I do wonder if maybe this is intended for more than 2-cours? Have they ever confirmed one way or another?

I think I'm going to do something stupid and add Hayate the Combat Butler to my backlog list after I'm done with cardcaptor sakura.

Cause that's what I need, a 130+ episode anime in my backlog.

Well there's obviously a very specific stopping point they wanted for the end of the season. It makes sense to me. But I do wonder if maybe this is intended for more than 2-cours? Have they ever confirmed one way or another?
To my knowledge it was always known to be 13+12 from the start, but I don't know of it was ever confirmed.

I would not mind another cour tho.

Are you saying the pacing is too slow? I thought the pace was great for the first part.

Btw episode 9 is the best.
No, like I said this morning I really like that they are taking their time with this but it makes me wonder whether it will be 3 seasons long, or whether the second season goes at a much faster pace.

Yup, I agree and will repeat again, either they are gonna make this 3-cours or they are going to have to make things go a lot faster in the second season.

Or they will pull a Heaven's Feel on us and make us all cry.

Cornbread78

Akiba's Trip ep.2
n9DsIco.png
Ok, maybe I'm in a better mood tonight, but I laughed at how stupid this was several times and overall, it was a pretty fun episode. Stupid fun is stupid fun and I'm not above enjoying fun trash, lol.

Didn't God Eater barely follow the game's plot, then end on a non-conclusive note with no sequel in sight?
But God Eater did that from the get-go. From the first episode onwards it was only loosely following the main plot. Zestiria is different because thus far, Berseria too, has been pretty much an improved version of the same plot as the game.

squall23

I think I'm going to do something stupid and add Hayate the Combat Butler to my backlog list after I'm done with cardcaptor sakura.

Cause that's what I need, a 130+ episode anime in my backlog.
If you're going that far, you might as well add Sore Ga Seiyuu to that list as well assuming you haven't watched it already since it takes place in the same universe.

duckroll

But God Eater did that from the get-go. From the first episode onwards it was only loosely following the main plot. Zestiria is different because thus far, Berseria too, has been pretty much an improved version of the same plot as the game.

I don't think the way they are inserting Berseria is good at all.

I won't really mind the Berseria episodes as long as it does not hinder the Zestiria main plot in the end. I liked the Oscar vs Velvet moment and how they slipped Eizen more into Zestiria's plot. Also it did hype me for the game.

Of course if the anime ends up rushed I'll be mad, but in Ufotable I trust. I mean they altered the story greatly to please those mad Alisha fans and it worked. So I'm sure they will succeed.

Jintor

Akiba's Trip ep.2

Ok, maybe I'm in a better mood tonight, but I laughed at how stupid this was several times and overall, it was a pretty fun episode. Stupid fun is stupid fun and I'm not above enjoying fun trash, lol.

It's weird to me because the first episode to me was stupid fun and this second episode was just stupid. I'm not sure what the difference is and Toradora is taking all my analysis brain right now do I can't be bothered figuring it out

Copper

Kuzu no Honkai -1

Well that was quite something.. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.
The visuals were great. MC is cute. Both the OP and ED songs were nice. Too bad Crunchy couldn't have picked this up.

Gurren Lagann - 10

Simon's depression only continues to get worse.

It is very much unnecessary and it does cannibalize its own scheduled slots which is a shame. The reason why it was done is super obvious too. Here's hoping the second season isn't rushed to hell and back, cuz so far the pacing, animation and storytelling have been on point.

The next episode is so good they completely re-did a part of it in the recap movie and made it 100x better.

They took something already awesome and made it legendary.
Gonna watch it now and call it a night. I was gonna stay up to watch the Switch stuff, but I am not a kid anymore. Watching something now and feeling like crap all day at work tomorrow because of not sleeping enough hours is not worth it.

Kuzu no Honkai -1
Well that was quite something.. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.
The visuals were great. MC is cute. Both the OP and ED songs were nice. Too bad Crunchy couldn't have picked this up.
Yup. Super fucked up and depressing, but...
9cd8ad408bcf9dd8470d758fbabdee6b.jpg

People fanboying over stuff is soooooo silly.
Idk if this is sarcasm but I think people can be enthusiastic about what they like. I mean you always fanboy over MHA too right?

People fanboying over stuff is soooooo silly.

Is this sarcasm?

Gonna watch it now and call it a night. I was gonna stay up to watch the Switch stuff, but I am not a kid anymore. Watching something now and feeling like crap all day at work tomorrow because of not sleeping enough hours is not worth it.

True, true.

I'm only moderatley excited for Switch stuff myself. I'm still going to watch it live for the fun reactions on GAF and Twitter though.

duckroll

It is very much unnecessary and it does cannibalize its own scheduled slots which is a shame. The reason why it was done is super obvious too. Here's hoping the second season isn't rushed to hell and back, cuz so far the pacing, animation and storytelling have been on point.

I meant the actual quality of it too. Like, aside from being pointless, I just don't think it was done well at all. I'm coming at this as someone who hasn't played any of the games and I'm following the story that's being told by the show. Suddenly there are two episodes which are about something totally different, and I don't know what. There is no self contained story in there either. It's two entire episodes spent depicting something I have no context for and it's confusing.

If they want to make a Beseria anime, they should make one. What they have done here benefits pretty much no one from the perspective of having a good narrative or even good direction.

Kurobas Ep 75.5
C2BMy2vWgAAdqxG.jpg:small
C2BNC3UXcAApx6P.jpg:small

Fun time with Kurokos bday and some good basketball, kinda wish we couldhave had this as a season, just seeing everyone happy and getting along.

AkaFuri moment was hilarious, furihata screaming and passing out lol.

True, true.

I'm only moderatley excited for Switch stuff myself. I'm still going to watch it live for the fun reactions on GAF and Twitter though.
I'm probably gonna buy it on day 0 no doubts about that LOL.

I meant the actual quality of it too. Like, aside from being pointless, I just don't think it was done well at all. I'm coming at this as someone who hasn't played any of the games and I'm following the story that's being told by the show. Suddenly there are two episodes which are about something totally different, and I don't know what. There is no self contained story in there either. It's two entire episodes spent depicting something I have no context for and it's confusing.

If they want to make a Beseria anime, they should make one. What they have done here benefits pretty much no one from the perspective of having a good narrative or even good direction.

Yeah I agree. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, they needed to advertise the game in order to be given more budget to create a version of Zestiria that is worth it. I know that there is obviously marketing value for Bamco behind having Zestiria be animated, but with a new game coming out, Zestiria is old news, so there wouldn't really be a reason to adapt 2-cours of it to sell more copies of it.

Rossiu is a good character.

People seem to forget that his actions in the second half of the show
go directly in hand with what he said he wouldn't do back when he left his village.

He's literally becoming the man he didn't want to be and he knows it and it tears him apart from the inside because he doesn't know what else he can possibly do.

Was it wrong of him to imprison Simon? Yes. But it's easy to understand why he did it. He was afraid his ideologies and rash actions we're only going to cause more harm than good.

The situation was different than it was when they fought Lordgenome. They weren't just a small group of rebels anymore, they were leaders of the entire world. They had responsibilities for the public now. And since this new enemy they were facing was unlike anything they had ever faced before, he felt like he couldn't afford to take any chances, which made him come off as a total asshole to everyone around him, and make mistakes.

That's how insane his dilemma was, and how it makes him such a good character. The troubling way of life the audience is shown in episode 5 comes full circle with this second arc only now it's on a much bigger scale and Rossiu is the one who has to bear it all on his shoulders.

Clov

Discotek has announced that they're releasing the BD of Horus: Prince of the Sun over here in March! Does anyone know what the transfer on this one was like? I'd love to add it to my library, but I think I remember reading that it might have been an upscale.

Cornbread78

I'm probably gonna buy it on day 0 no doubts about that LOL.

I won't bother buying a Switch since my backlog is already huge and I got bored with Nin IPs about 20 years ago. I bought 2 Wii's, but they turned into a door stop and dusk catcher..

Waaay too many PS3-4/Vita games in backlog...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kind of surprised to not see Kuromukuro showing up on more lists for anime of the year. Closing in on the ending now but the pacing throughout has been pretty phenomenal. There are just loads of good breather sections between the action that build the cast up enough for its communal vibe to connect. It doesn't have to go very deep but there's strong bonds between the characters that has me very invested in watching them get through the hardships at hand. So far I'm also really impressed by how the show peels back layers to dig into its premise. It is all very goofy but the show does such a good job with staying true to putting pieces together. I would have never really expected to get a satisfying story out of Yukina's missing father, but there actually wound up being something of interest there that fits into the larger story. And a lot of this stuff comes across as being done pretty effortlessly, thanks to the good-natured and modern tone the entire show brings to what could have just felt like worn mech staples.

Kind of surprised to not see Kuromukuro showing up on more lists for anime of the year. Closing in on the ending now but the pacing throughout has been pretty phenomenal. There are just loads of good breather sections between the action that build the cast up enough for its communal vibe to connect. It doesn't have to go very deep but there's strong bonds between the characters that has me very invested in watching them get through the hardships at hand. So far I'm also really impressed by how the show peels back layers to dig into its premise. It is all very goofy but the show does such a good job with staying true to putting pieces together. I would have never really expected to get a satisfying story out of Yukina's missing father, but there actually wound up being something of interest there that fits into the larger story. And a lot of this stuff comes across as being done pretty effortlessly, thanks to the good-natured and modern tone the entire show brings to what could have just felt like worn mech staples.

I've been watching it recently, and I'm really enjoying it so far (only 9 episodes in so far). It'll definitely wind up on my list in some position.

And yeah, I was surprised to see how few mentions there were of it in the AOTY voting.

duckroll

Netflix seems to have poor penetration on anime internet fandom. :(

Crap, I forgot about this one.

Will most likely make this the one I tackle after Mob Psycho 100.

I haven't finished Kuromukuro yet. I would have, but Netflix didn't keep updating the show as it went into its second season...the fiends.

I enjoyed it, but ultimately it just didn't make the cut of top 10 based on enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom