• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Kind of surprised to not see Kuromukuro showing up on more lists for anime of the year. Closing in on the ending now but the pacing throughout has been pretty phenomenal. There are just loads of good breather sections between the action that build the cast up enough for its communal vibe to connect. It doesn't have to go very deep but there's strong bonds between the characters that has me very invested in watching them get through the hardships at hand. So far I'm also really impressed by how the show peels back layers to dig into its premise. It is all very goofy but the show does such a good job with staying true to putting pieces together. I would have never really expected to get a satisfying story out of Yukina's missing father, but there actually wound up being something of interest there that fits into the larger story. And a lot of this stuff comes across as being done pretty effortlessly, thanks to the good-natured and modern tone the entire show brings to what could have just felt like worn mech staples.

Agreed. I think the the actual writing of the show is great: the structure, the pacing, the manner in which it reveals information and plays with expectations - it's a surprisingly clever take on a very old formula. There's something very satisfying about how everything comes together.

Unfortunately it's very hard to 'sell' a show based on something like that - instead people are going to mostly see the key visuals of Lego-esque robots and probably assume the series isn't worth watching.

The difference is you spend it when a game that is worth playing and isn't cross gen comes out.

Or you wait for the launch kinks to be worked out.

Or you wait for it to be cheaper, which might be not terribly long as the 3DS or Xbox1 demonstrate. If the Switch is like the Wiiu (and it seems to be) it'll only have a few worthwhile games a year so it'll be easy to buy later and easily catch up on titles you've missed. Besides, I don't expect Nintendo to actually release all of these titles in 2017.

BluWacky

Kind of surprised to not see Kuromukuro showing up on more lists for anime of the year.

This is more of a marketing failure than anything else:

- Netflix exclusive
- released in batches rather than weekly
- anime-original project so couldn't build buzz up
- no-one "looks forward" to a PA Works project

It's getting people in the door with the show that will be the big challenge, rather than people enjoying it in the long run.

ibyea

Banned

- Netflix exclusive
- released in batches rather than weekly
- anime-original project so couldn't build buzz up

It's getting people in the door with the show that will be the big challenge, rather than people enjoying it in the long run.

I will add another reason. The first episode is not particularly compelling. I dropped the show there. I may go and give this show a chance since people are complimenting it.

MSMrRound

Speaking of which..some of the staff and cast from Kuromukuro came down to Singapore's Anime Festival Asia towards the end of November to promote the show and were given away signed fundoshis to 5 lucky winners.

Man, wish I was better at janken.

Zelda at launch is great but Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 2 and SMT are only pipeline titles that could only come out in 2018 or so... I'll have to think long and hard about this one. Tons of games coming out now on the PS4, so I'll have to see how my finances are doing around February.

Jintor

Zelda at launch is great but Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 2 and SMT are only pipeline titles that could only come out in 2018 or so... I'll have to think long and hard about this one. Tons of games coming out now on the PS4, so I'll have to see how my finances are doing around February.

For me the question will be if the difference between Zelda is worth $300.

For me until spla2n comes out or the price drastically falls at this stage the switch is a non starter

Cornbread78

I'm just going to be honest with the situation and recognize that I already have a huge PS3/PS4/Vita backlog and a Switch will never get turned on or used in my house by myself, my wife or my kids.. Plus, Zelda, or any of their other recycled IPs arw worth it to me.

I'll give the Switch this it has some games I'm interested in, but it isn't isn't worth it for me certainly not at launch. I already have a PS4/Vita with a ton of games coming down the pipe soon for them I want.

Aki-at

Feel the same, just not enough in the launch window to justify a purchase this year. Maybe one in late 2018 but I traditionally wait a couple of years before getting new hardware anyway, that's when consoles spring to life these days. PlayStation 4 had the same issues with a dull library for its launch period. Now I'm spending over £200 between now and April ._.

And if anything this gen has taught me it's software delays.

Cornbread78

Can we ban the console conversation? You have an entire forum full of threads about it, I don't enter in this thread to read this shit.

well excuse me! We'll talk about your favorite shitty anime rather than your favorite shitty console.

DH5A2Jb.gif

Aki-at

I'm just trying to pass time here for the slow crawl to Monday since Little Witch Academia is the only show I'm watching this season.

3 more days!

Taruranto

Or you wait for it to be cheaper, which might be not terribly long as the 3DS or Xbox1 demonstrate. If the Switch is like the Wiiu (and it seems to be) it'll only have a few worthwhile games a year so it'll be easy to buy later and easily catch up on titles you've missed. Besides, I don't expect Nintendo to actually release all of these titles in 2017.

It's going to replace the 3DS so I don't think it will be another Wii U, though buying consoles at day one is always a bad move anyway.

Theonik

No way in hell is the Switch still $300 in November.
3DS still took almost a year to come down it price and that was doing abysmally. If they drop the price expect to get less in the box too. I can see them dropping the dock and controller mount and market it as a handheld down the line.

Branduil

3DS still took almost a year to come down it price and that was doing abysmally. If they drop the price expect to get less in the box too. I can see them dropping the dock and controller mount and market it as a handheld down the line.

It was less than 5 months.

3DS also was launching with Steel Diver and an N64 port.

Switch has the biggest Zelda game ever at launch along with some other stuff, Mario Kart a month later, and the sequel to Nintendo's biggest new IP in forever a couple months after that.

I have a hard time imagining them dropping the price before the holidays, especially with Mario and Xenoblade due out then. Not to mention the rumored Pokemon Stars, and probably some other big titles, too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I'm sure lots of people are looking forward to the new season of Uchouten Kazoku. There's actually a few points about Kuromukuro that I really like from a production standpoint. It has a very clean look to it and the characters can be pretty expressive with how deformed the faces can get. Effects work is top notch too and the 2D action is usually great. I think we live in an era where it's okay to look forward to certain P.A. Works projects.

Theonik

It was less than 5 months.
It came out in February fam. About 5.75 months. Only 6.25 months short of a year!

3DS also was launching with Steel Diver and an N64 port.

Switch has the biggest Zelda game ever at launch along with some other stuff, Mario Kart a month later, and the sequel to Nintendo's biggest new IP in forever a couple months after that.

I have a hard time imagining them dropping the price before the holidays, especially with Mario and Xenoblade due out then. Not to mention the rumored Pokemon Stars, and probably some other big titles, too.
Steel diver was the shit fam.
2 games at launch. Let that thought sink in for a moment

Trickster Epsiode 11 still has one of my favorite opening moments in anime this year, Hanasaki running while the singing is going on then the gorgeous jumping off the plane with the rising sun in the background and the OP playing was such a perfect moment for the arc.

I wish three anime on one day was *my busiest* sadly, Thursday is busiest for me with

Naruto Shippuden
Chaos;Child
Masamune
Marginal #4
Koro Sensei Quest
Super Lovers 2
All Out!
*Trickster* (engDub)

Eylos

Banned
finished watching re:zero, great anime, now I wait for season 2 =/

i'm looking for a comedy anime which is the best one from last year? (please not a tragicomedy)

Cornbread78

Derp, I misread the official tweets. They were just replaying episode 2 and the new one is 3.

This is what happens when I didn't have my coffee yet.

Well, it a start tomorrow night when you will be drowning in booze...

i'm looking for a comedy anime which is the best one from last year? (please not a tragicomedy)

Konosuba (it's got some fanservice, but well worth overlooking, imo)

Seriously, just go watch now.

Qurupeke

Considering you just watched Re: Zero, Konosuba's fitting. S2 is airing this season too.

If you enjoyed shows like Kill La Kill and Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco is a must. It's shorter too, around 6 mins per episode.

Eylos

Banned
Well, it a start tomorrow night when you will be drowning in booze...

Konosuba (it's got some fanservice, but well worth overlooking, imo)

Seriously, just go watch now.

Considering you just watched Re: Zero, Konosuba's fitting. S2 is airing this season too.

If you enjoyed shows like Kill La Kill and Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco is a must. It's shorter too, around 6 mins per episode.

Thx! I will watch konosuba today =D

Szadek

Masamune-kun's Revenge - Ep. 2
Yoshino best girl confirmed. I was looking for a show with a yandere anyway.

Scum's Wish - Ep. 1
Defiently not a show for me, but I guess some else might love a show like this.
That person would probably very synical about relationships.

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Ep. 1
As you know, writers that use the phrase "as you know" skipped day one of the class as well as any other day when it was mentioned again.
I stopped watching quickly after that, because it was pretty boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom