• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Little Busters is pretty good. Refrain is definitely better.

68Y4aKV.gif

Can't say much to avoid spoilers, but I love seeing people's reactions to the last few episodes of Little Busters because when everything comes together and it starts clicking, my goodness is it amazing....

Also, obligatory, best confession scene in anime, lol...

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 01

A recap done through a fourth wall breaking rakugo sequence - fucking brilliant. Moreover, I loved the bit where he was confused which way his head and feet were, so the camera goes upside down, I doubt that's something you'd get to see in actual rakugo hah. Worth pointing out Yotaro's attempt at acting like Yakumo was on point and hilarious.

These events take 10 years past the point where he met Yakumo so there was quite a lot of catching up to do. Mangetsu-kun is someone I do not recall at all in the first season but I'm assuming it's someone he meets sometime during the time skip, thankfully their discussion reveals everything we need to know about him. Yotaro's relationship with Sukeroku's daughter Konatsu is mostly positive with some ambiguity going by the few scenes we see between them which I absolutely loved. Konatsu has great voice over work, stands out a lot when she's angry lol.

Now the meat of the show and the episode is Yotaro's encounter with the famed writer and their conversation on the future of Rakugo. There's a lot of details in these scenes - Yakumo's reluctance to kill Rakugo in the form of Yotaro being visualized as Yakumo's reluctant face over a reflection of Yotaro; Iguchi spreads a drop of water over the surface indicating how weak oral tradition can be when only spread through generations.

A strong start with a lot of great moments!

Line_HTX

Eh... I don't know. I'm not feeling Maid Dragon. I guess I'm too used to the style and look of PW and Eupho and not this...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Line_HTX

I guess Funimation thought that Your Name would get more theater attendees in the US than A Slient Voice.

That's weird that no one in the US picked it up to have a few runs or so.

Taruranto

Woah, YoI is at 62k.

Between this and the OST sales, the only think this could go better if that they made a movie and it broke every record.

Geist-

I think I would consider Tanya the Evil a really good show, but I'm finding it pretty hard to get passed the loli commander thing, even if, maybe especially because, people in that world don't seem to think it's a big deal.

Sterok

Youjo Senki 2

Does magic grant you super strength? Because I don't care how competent a 9-year old girl is, she is not wielding a large rifle like that so casually. Entertaining otherwise. We got a better insight into Tanya's mindset, what drives her (at first wanting to live, now giving a big middle finger to Being X), and how she managed to become crazed and successful. Still dumb, but the entertaining kind.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think I would consider Tanya the Evil a really good show, but I'm finding it pretty hard to get passed the loli commander thing, even if, maybe especially because, people in that world don't seem to think it's a big deal.
Well I don't want to defend the show really but it's consistent with a wartime state. Tanya is both a soldier and a weapon so it makes sense to confer upon her the obligations of both.

If our little girls turned out to be superweapons I can assure you they'd be weaponized as well, or at least granted privileges beyond what's typical of their age.

Exalted

For me the entire concept of the show is pretty much absurd , it's quite a crazy anime show in it's settings an concepts. So her being a little girl doesn't really stand out that much at least to me, in a sea of other non realistic and strange things that gets thrown at you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also they do think it's a big deal, just not as big a deal as it is for us. It's clear the army is meritocratic, which tends to be a running theme in anime. Tanya is a talented mage with the mental maturity of a Japanese corporate manager. I think some of the brass are actually suspicious of her, but others just see her as a military asset.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://i.imgur.com/68Y4aKV.gif

Can't say much to avoid spoilers, but I love seeing people's reactions to the last few episodes of Little Busters because when everything comes together and it starts clicking, my goodness is it amazing....

I can't remember, Little Busters was the one with those weird OVAs that explained everything at the end right? Or was that Angel Beats.

Geist-

Well I don't want to defend the show really but it's consistent with a wartime state. Tanya is both a soldier and a weapon so it makes sense to confer upon her the obligations of both.

If our little girls turned out to be superweapons I can assure you they'd be weaponized as well, or at least granted privileges beyond what's typical of their age.

Well, I watched the rest of the episode. I will admit it's a lot better with the inner monologue. The setting would be more believable if they were actively using child soldiers so she wasn't seemingly the only one. Also 9 years old, this "empire" doesn't look anywhere near desperate enough to be using 9 year olds for soldiers.

Still, I think I'll keep watching.

For me the entire concept of the show is pretty much absurd , it's quite a crazy anime show in it's settings an concepts. So her being a little girl doesn't really stand out that much at least to me, in a sea of other non realistic and strange things that gets thrown at you.
I have the opposite problem. The setting isn't really that absurd, it's just magical Germany during World War 1. It's a pretty believable setting by anime standards. Her being a little girl commanding officer is by far the most unbelievable part of the show, which is why it's the thing that bothers me the most.

Qurupeke

Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2

Nice, the OP appeared.

Anyway, the whole thing with the article seemed a bit sudden to me. And those two Rakugo performances were completely boring. Things are getting rather interesting though.

Descending Stories 02

The OP is so good. There are like four different parts that give me chills.

This is really, really heavy stuff. The scene with Yakumo reciting a poem to Konatsu but it flashes back so that his words sync up with Sukeroku's mouth...fuck, man.

68Y4aKV.gif

Was it? Was it!?

Yeah the last few episodes start to get real good and very engaging.

OT, but WHY CORNBREAD!? Why did you get rid of your best avatar and switch it to...to...to that!

I can't remember, Little Busters was the one with those weird OVAs that explained everything at the end right? Or was that Angel Beats.

Angel Beats explained itself in the entirety of its run. So did Little Busters...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blue Exorcist Season 2, Episode 2:

Yep, still the shonen equivalent of eating rice cakes as I am struggling to have even a distant emotion on what is happening on screen.

I need someone to call me a bad baaaad dog who is a whore.

After saying I wouldn't get the Switch I saw that Gamestop was trading in 120 for the Wii U plus an extra 75 if you're a powerup rewards member (it costs 15 to get it). So I went there, traded my wii u plus all of the controllers and games I never use, and I got the Switch, Zelda, the charger grip and a case for the joycon fully paid off only having to spend 30 bucks.

I feel so dirty but I couldn't pass up this deal

Narag

1. I don't think anyone is surprised you'd go back on your word.
  2. I don't think anyone would have passed up a deal like that either.

Cornbread78

After saying I wouldn't get the Switch I saw that Gamestop was trading in 120 for the Wii U plus an extra 75 if you're a powerup rewards member (it costs 15 to get it). So I went there, traded my wii u plus all of the controllers and games I never use, and I got the Switch, Zelda, the charger grip and a case for the joycon fully paid off only having to spend 30 bucks.

You're definitely a dirty whore bitch.

good deal though, damn...

I'll switch back next week, I couldn't find the un "Santafied" version and didn't have tine to search.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Acceptable then, but I am holding you to it!

Kinda wished I had a Wii U so I could do that. As it stands I can't in good conscious pay $300 for one game. :/

So I'm watching Full Metal Panic! again.

It holds up pretty well for a 2002 show.

I will say however, that I forgot that it takes like 7 episodes before they get to a real mecha fight.

Rakugo S2 - 02

Some scenes where Yotaro goofs around with his 'buddies' feel a bit too whimsical for the show, though that may be intentional done to give his scenes a different tone compared to those of Kiku and Sukeroku. But maybe I'm also just seeing something, dunno if anyone else here noticed sth similar.

You know, it's a really good thing but whenever the show portrays a subpar Rakugo performance you really feel the discomfort and it's sorta hard to watch. Always glad when it's over afterwards, so, the direction achieves exactly what it sought out to for me.

Dave1988

Psycho loli continues being awesome. Also lol at the ending of the episode.

She survived the battlefield to be rewarded with... this.
y8nUKUG.jpg

Truly a fate worse than death.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 2:

I like the new OP of the season but I don't like it as much as the one from last season. Anyway, the theme of this episode is the passage of time, not to differing thematically then what the last episode of The Great Passage did if I am thinking about it. Anyway, still really enjoying the season and I am eager for next week's episode.

Rakugo S2 - 02

Some scenes where Yotaro goofs around with his 'buddies' feel a bit too whimsical for the show, though that may be intentional done to give his scenes a different tone compared to those of Kiku and Sukeroku. But maybe I'm also just seeing something, dunno if anyone else here noticed sth similar.

You know, it's a really good thing but whenever the show portrays a subpar Rakugo performance you really feel the discomfort and it's sorta hard to watch. Always glad when it's over afterwards, so, the direction achieves exactly what it sought out to for me.

Yep, I had to pause and take a minute break a few times during those two performances. They gave me the same feeling when watching a bad anime, just a sense of dread and discomfort slowly being wrapped around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom