• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 5

Well that certainly felt good to watch. Nice to see fortunes are finally reversing. Maybe.

Maybe it'll wind up like Re:Zero, and everyone gets spoiled on and anticipates a twist that never happens in the anime.
If this twist doesn't happen in the Anime then it's just a forgettable run of the mill boring drama/romance Anime.

The twist at least gives it something hilarious to stand out with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Which is why we were all screaming for you to watch it. It's a perfect 10 SoL anime.

Children....

All I know is that is has something to do with
"truck-kun"
I abondoned the thread before I got completely spoiled, but my goodness there a shitton of winking and nudging going on online... Thanks everyone for not posting it here!!

Also, from thise that have read the manga and are now watching, will they make it to that point by the end of 12 episodes? It was also said that they would probably have to skip a lot of good shit to get to that point in 1 cour...
yes they will get that far and yes everyone is being dumb and annoying for looking it up and constantly mentioning it

Cornbread78

If this twist doesn't happen in the Anime then it's just a forgettable run of the mill boring drama/romance Anime.
The twist at least gives it something hilarious to stand out with.

Since the first episode I've felt this would turn out to be like a White Album / White Album 2 mashup with events and tone... Wonder if it goes that route...

yes they will get that far and yes everyone is being dumb and annoying for looking it up and constantly mentioning it

Oh, very nice. TY. Should this be 2 cours, or is there a natural stopping point in there?

Hopefully, my purity remains until that moment..

You have to realize, I also was laughing at a lot of white album 2 because it was so melodramatic but I eventually dropped it cause it got overbearing.

Anime drama in slice of life should stick with their guns of the hardships of loving two boys at the same time and leave it at that

sonicmj1

A while back, I mentioned that I bought a copy of the storyboard for Kara no Kyoukai 5: Paradox Spiral. The back of the book included an interview with Takayuki Hirao, who directed and storyboarded the movie. Because I was interested in learning how he did what he did, I wound up reading the interview, and slowly translating it into English for the benefit of others.

In the end, I made a Medium account so I could host it somewhere for people to read.

Here's the interview. It's about the film as a whole, so I would recommend that you watch the film before reading it.

Thanks to duckroll for proofreading my work and fixing some translation fumbles.

blurr

You have to realize, I also was laughing at a lot of white album 2 because it was so melodramatic but I eventually dropped it cause it got overbearing.

I remember I told my friend who insisted on watching WA2 that its first half is almost entirely like this Bollywood film I saw.

I liked the later half though.

Jintor

A while back, I mentioned that I bought a copy of the storyboard for Kara no Kyoukai 5: Paradox Spiral. The back of the book included an interview with Takayuki Hirao, who directed and storyboarded the movie. Because I was interested in learning how he did what he did, I wound up reading the interview, and slowly translating it into English for the benefit of others.

In the end, I made a Medium account so I could host it somewhere for people to read.

Here's the interview. It's about the film as a whole, so I would recommend that you watch the film before reading it.

Thanks to duckroll for proofreading my work and fixing some translation fumbles.

Nice. Maybe I'll take on a project like this for my own edification

Kuzu no Honkai 01

i2MaT1D.jpg
7Wyv0Kp.jpg
UHNJwGr.jpg
Forbidden love + fucked up relationships + a bit of smuttiness with realistic physical moments (they do a bit more than holding hands, you see) ???

IN! I'm so IN!

Of course that's my reaction for the concept, and this episode in fact focuses in showing what's the setup, it still has to evolve in any direction. What matters is execution, and this being anime, there is a decent chance of swamping everything with bad overwrought melodrama.

Also some people have questioned where the story is going, if they fall on love between them it will be very predictable; but I think predictability isn't so big of a problem, as I said it matters more how good it is the execution, I can deal with a story where I see where it's going in general if it's beautifully directed and written and I can believe the characters.

Character art by the way is pretty good, while the backgrounds are more normal, blander, the character line art is a bit different than usual. Just in the first scene, this hand, I knew there was something unusual:

Personally I think the MC is deceiving herself a bit, it starts with her using him as a replacement of the older teacher while they are making out, but she was really using the pleasure to console herself, without really needing thinking of her 'oni-chan' while doing it.

edit: oh lool, the author is the artist of Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou. This has so much potential for smuttiness.

I actually didn't mention it on my impressions but I have to agree when it comes to the art in Scum's Wish. No idea whether it is actually done by hand, or whether it is computer made and somehow mimics hand drawn lines, but the line work and colours in that show are pretty damn cool looking. Same can be said about the character design, which I also think is pretty good.

Tried looking for a good example and this is the best I could find using my phone. You can see what I mean about the line work on the characters and even the panels on screen separating the girl and the woman.
CGIp6Rx.jpg

Dat stink eye tho.

Urara Meirochou 02

Still the cutest show airing right now

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu 02

Why are the MCs of all these biking/motorcycle shows total idiots?

Schoolgirl Strikers 02

TRAINING ARC

Seiren 02

Man this MC is a fucking perv to the max. I've never had a wet dream about a girl sniffing my dick while I'm taking a dump.

That's... a very specific fetish. Anime never ceases to amaze me in finding obscure creepy shit to fetishize.
I wasn't kidding yesterday when I posted about it. I left it in spoiler tags so nobody would get spoiled because I think it's an experience better left intact for the people watching the show. I almost fell off my bed when that shit came up.

Cornbread78

Seiren ep.2
This show is fun, cute and seriously weird at the same time. Sniffing toilet-kun, huh? With that being said, I'm enjoying it still, lol.

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 02

There's a lot more to Yotaro's story than I had assumed. Season 1 ended at a point of reassurance that Rakugo has hope to succeed through Yotaro, I didn't consider that it is also a struggle much like how long it took Yakumo to find his own Rakugo.

Yotaro also had to confront his own past rather than simply ignoring or "cutting" ties from it. Embracing it as a part of you is a liberating feeling, that was beautiful.

Eisuke strongly reminds me of Taki-sensei from Euphonium.

Qurupeke

3-gatsu no Lion 13
Both of those games were so intense. I really like how they've gotten a lot more serious as the series progresses and the stakes are high. Also, Gotou is so badass, I think I can see why Rei's step sister likes him...

Ushio and Tora 3-5

Still strong! Of the 3 I loved probably the painting Demon episode the most, even though these 2 characters are probably of low importance in the future. But the moment involving Tora fighting in 4-5 were amazing! the electricity effect against those ugly looking head were so cool.

Also I love the opening!
604097e6aa368f8aac4213e8f9f81d8d.jpg

Ushio and Tora was great, I can't recall if it ranked in my top 10 of the years it aired, but I really enjoyed it. Even if it ran a bit longer than I was hoping it would.

Sakuga Blog has posted a translation of various comments posted on Twitter by people who attended Osamu Kobayashi's talk event in December, and it's got a lot of neat tidbits in it. Just a few:

— Iso praises the Flip Flappers ED, and then: ”Projects like Flip Flappers just aren't the right venue when it comes to making use of Oshiyama's talents. Obviously the fault lies with the producer(s), too; how could they see that ED then have him make some random moe anime from it?"

— Oshiyama talks about how the demands from up top put him in a pretty tight spot.

Kobayashi: ”The fact that you still managed to make something that good despite all that is a testament to your skill."

Oshiyama: ”I don't want to hear any complaints from anyone after all the effort I put in."

— Oshiyama pumped out around 250 cuts of animation for the Flip Flappers finale by himself in a mere week.

Oshiyama: ”I figured it'd be faster to just do it on my own than bringing in people unfamiliar to the show, then explaining everything and correcting their work. And hey, I'd get paid for those cuts as well."

Yuasa: ”They really don't pay us directors enough, do they?"

Kobayashi: ”I got paid pretty well for Naruto though."

— Kobayashi: ”The plan was actually to have Ryochimo draw all the girls in TTGL episode 04, but he ended up in the hospital so I had to take all his cuts instead. I bet people wouldn't have flamed the episode had he got to draw all the girls."

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 9
The best episode so far, not only (but mostly) because of the yuri shipping (Haruka x Minamin).
It was about time that Cure Memaid gets some development. Hopefully we get more from her (or Twinkle) in the next episodes.
The fight at the end was the best one as well, even if it was a bit hard to follow at times.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Ep. 38-40
38 wasn't to intersting, but episode 39 and 40 very good.
In episode Sakura was sick, but still went to school and got the next card.
What's very intersting is that apperently Touya know what's going on or at the very least has a verry good idea.
In the next episode they encountered the dream card, which gave us a bit more inside on each character.

Syrinx

BoJack Horseman S2 3

Nothing quite like hearing Henry Winkler eloquently express the randomness and pointlessness of death.

Qurupeke

Interviews With Monster Girls 2
Hikari did nothing wrong.

Sakuga Blog has posted a translation of various comments posted on Twitter by people who attended Osamu Kobayashi's talk event in December, and it's got a lot of neat tidbits in it. Just a few:

— Oshiyama and Yuasa are currently working on what seems to be a TV series, to be announced sometime in March (likely at AnimeJapan). They wouldn't be surprised if it were rated R considering all the sexual content in it.

I didn't know a new Yuasa TV series was coming too. Nice.

John Blade

madlax_poster.jpg

Got to say, this is a slow episode. Mostly, this is trying to introduce us new characters in the show but unfortunately, the new MC, Margaret, isn't too special to talk about right now but have a feeling they is something happen to her as you found out a bit from her former neighbor and the MC servant discussion at the end of the episode. Some more stuff I can say in this episode

• Mysterious young girl is back and this time they is a mysterious young boy in this dream state of this battle ridden location. Still have no clue about it yet but the mysterious young boy might represent someone in this episode from the look of it.
  • Margaret have this odd flashback which you see a quick scene. Also, talk about rain which is odd but it actually have meaning at the end (can sense stuff?).
  • Neighbor character, Vanessa, have a connection with the MC even though MC don't know her much at all. You will notice this connection when the servant, Elenore, know her when all of them have a dinner in MC home.
  • Might be a villain character introduce in this episode. Know it's a villain as he have a mask on his face.
  • MC manage to found a book which you notice it's the same page you saw in the last episode (connection between the two MC in the show?)

Sciel

Little Busters
Yeah...I didn't really enjoy it much.
The common route didn't work for me. I felt some of the Heroine routes were pretty good though (and some were terrible).

Refrain
Everything basically gets stepped up a notch.
Kurugaya best waifu.
kurugaya-yuiko-confession-smile.jpg

I wasn't much of a Rin fan so her route (true end?) didn't do much for me. The last 3 episodes were absolutely fantastic though, It explained why the cast were always up to all the nonsensical silliness throughout the first season (which was one of my major gripes).

Also thought that each of the heroine's presence and hence "routes" were tied into the central plot very well by explaining them as being lingering regrets. (Doesn't this mean that none of this actually happened in the real world prior to the bus ride though?)

That said, I'll probably avoid Key's productions for the time being (I remember actually trying to read this VN years back now lol). It took a little too long to get to the "payoff" and I guess I'm just not a fan of Jun Maeda's works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom