• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Sölf;228359777 said:
I am sucker for anything regarding mobs/mafia/underworld stories. I already liked Joker Games, but 91 Days is in a whole different league. It's probably the most non anime anime I have seen in recent years. Imo, it doesn't bring anything new to the table if you have already watched other mob storiesm like The Godfather, Sopranos or Goodfellas. But something like that simply does not exist in anime form and for that alone I love it.

And the soundtrack is just beatiful, especially the opening credits in the first episode and then the opening proper starting with episode 2.

But Joker Game was awful...

91 Days was an alright show. Not amazing, but good.

It has some obvious production issues ("We don't have time to color the boat!"), but I would say it's worth checking out.

March comes in like a lion 13

The elongated breakfast scene is interesting. It gives me a filmic feeling, I want to say Hitchcock but I'm not certain. It doesn't really feel wannabe though.

I really liked Rei's match in the 2nd half.

image.php

Zestiria - 10

The Sparrowfeather's leader reveal was handled 100x better here. Also gotta say the whole thing with Sorey purifying the human hellion was some heavy stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That said I'll let her drain me any time for health reasons. It's like donating blood, and donating blood is a good thing.

Narag

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 6

Man I kinda want to push through this but it's like Mushishi was for me in that I'm left dangerously satisfied after each ep I watch. Yakumo finding his voice was great too as his rakugo was my favorite part of the first ep. I wish I could word it better but while Sukeroku always feels like the loudest guy in the room during his performance, something at Yakumo's delivery feels like he's sharing a dirty secret with me.

JulianImp

On the topic of 91 days, I ended up dropping it halfway through the series since it never really clicked with me. It was mostly a generic revenge story against the mafia that played pretty much by the book, so I never found it to be all that interesting or worth following.

On the topic of 91 days, I ended up dropping it halfway through the series since it never really clicked with me. It was mostly a generic revenge story against the mafia that played pretty much by the book, so I never found it to be all that interesting or worth following.

Played by the book? Generic Mafia Revenge story? When else has this been done in anime? 91 Days felt really unique, and I thought Angelo's plot was pretty intriguing the whole time especially when Corteo got more importance.

I think he meant play by the book when directly compared to western media, which i can't disagree with. But the thing is, it's anime and for the crowd in Japan there's no guarantee they will have seen something like this often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom