• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm probably gonna regret saying this, but this seems to be the best season of anime in a long while.

LWA
Onihei
Acca 13
Scum's wish
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
IBO S2

I know I'm probably gonna regret saying this, but this seems to be the best season of anime in a long while.

LWA
Onihei
Acca 13
Scum's wish
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
IBO S2

The best season is always the season with the most anime that fit your tastes. But yea winter is cool.

LWA
Onihei
Acca 13
Scum's wish
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
IBO S2

Last season I was quite optimistic 1-2 weeks in. Well and then...

how about we wait some more before making claims like that.

Cornbread78

LWA
Onihei
Acca 13
Scum's wish
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
IBO S2

Your missing some shows here:

Seiren
Fuuko
Tales of Zestiria the X (2017)
KonoSuba S2
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Akiba's Trip The Animation

Aki-at

Koro Sensei Q - 1

fucxfzJ.png
LKCsbUb.png
VHzRAum.png

Wow, not a bad first episode, I actually quite liked it! It's better suited for Korosensei's character too.

Hench Nagisa is not something I want to see again though haha.

Sorry bit of a thread high jack, but guys how is SM Crystal on Crunchyroll? Have they touched up the animation jank for streaming? The older episodes at least? Or are the fixes for bluray only?

We all know the best season is going to be spring.
Idk. Spring 17 looks weak. Specially when you look at last year. Now THAT was a good Spring.

Sangatsu - 13

One shot intro did not work for me. I see what they were going for but basically... between the recap from last week, the OP and seeing the dude eating until he leaves his house they wasted 6min of this 23min episode.

I guess with the match the whole moral of the episode was that the further you keep looking down, the less you see in front of you.

You know I still haven't watched 91 Days. Any good?
It's white man TV with anime characters in it basically. I digged it a lot and it made its place into my top 10 of last year.

phaze

Has some moments but no ? Unless you want quality in yours show.

Watch Bungou 13-16 instead.

I I think the density did confuse you on a few plot points, though, particularly on the matter of "death".
E.g., Soshi didn't die at the end of Fafner TV; he was mostly but not entirely assimilated by the Festum, who kept him alive all this time, and thus was able to be recovered. The nature of assimilation and the accompanying transhumanist concepts mean the boundary between life and death isn't always super sharp in Fafner.

[Fafner]

Yes
Soshi's "existence" is something that bedevilled me. I understood that I was not supposed to take the og show ending as him dying but with vague phrases like "I will create my existence once more", "within nothingness" I've trouble accepting it is little more than a plot device designed to eat a cake aka the sappy ending of Fafner and to still have it aka the ending of the movie. In general I'm not a fan of how increasingly detached from reality the story gets. There are now pretty much ghost(s) running around the place.

Seiren 02
Garbage.

Moar pls.

Onihei 01

Pretty meh. Indeed ugly in most parts though at least action wasn't all stills as I feared. That wacko camera work though.

I mean, for someone like you who likes white man's tv over anime, it should be great. Outside of one character who was fairly anime in how crazy he was, it was very much a western mafia drama that happened to be animated.

Definitely good. Personally it was my #1 anime of the year, with Thunderbolt taking top show of the year in the list, but that's because I have very specific tastes haha. Keep in mind though there are some animation errors here and there, but stuff like that can get squared away in a blu ray release.

phaze

you like being stepped on by short shorts chan Phaze?

Sadly that shot is misguiding.

But yes.

----

The mere premise out Scum's Wish is so out of there that I've trouble playing along. Boy am I picky. Better ep than I expected though, bonus points for going beyond far far beyond the usual fare as far as the the physical interaction goes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Didn't watch the whole thing for a comprehensive view but I found it to be a very uncomfortable mix of ideas. Its influences from American media regarding prohibition are really worn on its sleeve but it doesn't really stack up well against those, and things only get worse when it regresses into a more zany style you'd get from other anime. It's not outlandish enough to have fun with. It's not well executed on in a way that warrants being taken seriously. It's for people that watch too much anime who aren't familiar with other prohibition era stories.

Aki-at

LWA
Onihei
Acca 13
Scum's wish
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
IBO S2

Hm I don't feel that just yet, only picked up two shows this season so far but Onihei is one I've been meaning to check out.

jonjonaug

Rewrite S2 E01: So this has a problem the first season had in that the creators clearly have a lot of love for the original work, but just aren't very competent at making an anime out of it. This is compounded by Moon being very difficult to adapt in the first place. At least seeing Kotarou die over and over was funny.

duckroll

Wow what a mix of opinions. It seems the people I trust the least about quality anime seem to love it though! Not sure what to think.

Clov

In an interesting bit of licensing news, a listing for Rintaro's Metropolis film on BD has appeared on Amazon. The company releasing it is listed as SPE, which I'm assuming is Sony Pictures Entertainment. The odd thing about the release is that it's print on demand, meaning that the discs are all being burned on BD-Rs. It releases February 21st. Personally I think I'll be skipping it.

Viz is releasing the Sailor Moon R movie on BD on April 18th. Still no word whether they did a proper restoration this time.

eh, I specify I have a very particular taste when it comes to anime anyways. My AOTY list proved it as much. Acca will likely be my AOTS anyways if it keeps up the quality of the first episode.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Was everyone here just always M, or is this the metroidprimerib effect?

sonicmj1

It's alright. It draws aesthetically on Western mobster films, but unlike most of its influences none of the characters really pop. It's got decent plotting though, with some well-deployed twists and betrayals that manage to surprise without feeling like bullshit.

Whenever I make my AOTY list, it'll probably sit a few spots outside my top 10.

It's alright. It draws aesthetically on Western mobster films, but unlike most of its influences none of the characters really pop. It's got decent plotting though, with some well-deployed twists and betrayals that manage to surprise without feeling like bullshit.

Whenever I make my AOTY list, it'll probably sit a few spots outside my top 10.

I thought the two leads really popped, at the very least by the end 2-3 episodes. Maybe it's not enough if the leads really sell it 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through the show, but those last couple of episodes were fantastic.

The best season is always the season with the most anime that fit your tastes. But yea winter is cool.

best season had Mob Psycho 100, 91 Days and Thunderbolt Fantasy all in the same one.

Those are great shows but it somehow feels like the median is a bit better for me this season. I have very picky tastes (Well I'd call it good taste but I digress), so for example this season stuff like Fuuka got dropped once I saw the pantyshot but surprisingly Monster girls was surprisingly enjoyable and even had a very thoughtful, unique moment when the monster girl gets annoyed that the non-monster girls want to try and ignore the fact that she is different and don't let her talk about the unique challenges that brings to her life - maybe I am over-thinking it but it reminded me deeply about discussions regarding race and more specifically of white privilege. The fact that the main guy treats his students like students and doesn't lust over them, but still can straightforwardly talk about the obvious eroticism of Vampire blood sucking was good too.
Onihei and Acca 13 both come off as very Noitamina-esque thoughtful shows which always grab me and remind me that Japan hasn't given up completely. Last season Rakugo (which should win AOTY if we have any good taste) reminded me that other people are also still interested in stories about people and systems and relationships and life. And then this season we get two shows that I feel pick up a similar mantle. Onihei has a rather well trodden look, but I loved the story of the first episode and of the moral systems that people hold dear and live by. ACCA 13 blew me a way with its character designs and the character interactions were delightful, lots of intrigue and characters and rankings and relationships that will be explored.
And Tanya is just pure unabashedly fun, completely destroying the usual sexualisation of neotenic features (so far at least Tanya has crazy face and other girl looks monstrously hideous), and using ideas as a hook to tell a story rather than going into hyperrealistic depth in order to please perverted minds. I am so pleased that instead of spending useful time discussing how the character adjusts from being a middle aged man to becoming a young girl, they just kept it moving. I kinda felt like I'd dropped into a bizarro world because I was sure that they would do the usual stupid anime "omg wheres my dick/I have breasts now/I can't look at myself naked/how do I use the toilet" shtick. They avoided all of that nonsense.

So far this season is pretty good.

Sölf

I am sucker for anything regarding mobs/mafia/underworld stories. I already liked Joker Games, but 91 Days is in a whole different league. It's probably the most non anime anime I have seen in recent years. Imo, it doesn't bring anything new to the table if you have already watched other mob storiesm like The Godfather, Sopranos or Goodfellas. But something like that simply does not exist in anime form and for that alone I love it.

And the soundtrack is just beatiful, especially the opening credits in the first episode and then the opening proper starting with episode 2.

LWA
Onihei
Acca 13
Scum's wish
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
IBO S2

If thats considered the best season in anime in a while....then Id have to disagree. Of your list, only IBO s2 is really delivering a season thats Greater than the previous. The other shows on your list, spare, BLue Exorcist (my manga bias), are just not good or just plain boring.

Anyway youre missing the clear highlights of this season that have managed to set themselves apart from the run of the mill animes. Please watch Chain Chronicles, Hand Shakers, and Marginal #4.

Zestiria - 09

Woaaaah now things are completely different from the game for good. I am enjoying this take on the story. Battle with the Drake was bonkers.

I'm already looking forward to next season because of The Eccentric Family S2!

And hopefully Sakura Quest will be good too.

Oh, and maybe Netflix will have put up some LWA episodes by then as well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom