• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Played by the book? Generic Mafia Revenge story? When else has this been done in anime? 91 Days felt really unique, and I thought Angelo's plot was pretty intriguing the whole time especially when Corteo got more importance.

I think this is a fair point actually. There's some degree of novelty to anime attempting this sort of straightforward mafia story even if it's been done to death in other media.

Tiger Mask W 14

1FjpDwo.jpg

Miss X going for that grandma aesthetic

Played by the book? Generic Mafia Revenge story? When else has this been done in anime? 91 Days felt really unique, and I thought Angelo's plot was pretty intriguing the whole time especially when Corteo got more importance.

Why does it need to have been done in anime to be generic? Most people don't live under rocks where they have never been exposed to mafia stories before because anime doesn't do them.

I think this is a fair point actually. There's some degree of novelty to anime attempting this sort of straightforward mafia story even if it's been done to death in other media.

I don't think it's much of a novelty when anime tries to take on something overdone in other media and produces something unexceptional.

Deadly

Demi-chan wa Kataritai - 02
3 Dullahans in the entire world and nobody finds it strange that there's a guy walking with a talking head? Eager for the next episode, Succubus should be interesting.

Cornbread78

Why does it need to have been done in anime to be generic? Most people don't live under rocks where they have never been exposed to mafia stories before because anime doesn't do them.

I don't think it's much of a novelty when anime tries to take on something overdone in other media and produces something unexceptional.

How much US media actually gets translated and released in Japan?

Zestiria - 11-12 [S1 End]

I believe this was where I stopped playing. The events themselves were different but I remember there being a
war and a lord of Calamity
. Gotta say this gets a solid 9/10 from me, not as an adaptation but as a piece of its own. I will be continuing with the second season, but overall Ufotable did an excellent job not only adapting the story, but totally making it a lot better.

I highly recommend this show if you are into fantasy stories.

Gonna have to edit my AOTY votes and put this in there somewhere.

Zestiria - 11-12 [S1 End]

I believe this was where I stopped playing. The events themselves were different but I remember there being a
war and a lord of Calamity
. Gotta say this gets a solid 9/10 from me, not as an adaptation but as a piece of its own. I will be continuing with the second season, but overall Ufotable did an excellent job not only adapting the story, but totally making it a lot better.

I highly recommend this show if you are into fantasy stories.

Gonna have to edit my AOTY votes and put this in there somewhere

That's what I like to see!

I'm kinda glad I was able to sneak it in before the voting closed. I like some good fantasy, and man this was excellent. I'm saying this as someone that dropped the game because of how bored I was. Idk what kind of sorcery Ufotable was able to pull, but I was in from the start with the anime.
Anyone else finding Seiren just really... weird and uncomfortable? I find it hard to describe but there's just something off about it.
You must be new to shows like these.

Seiren - 02

The real fetish people enjoying this must have is one for boredom. This is some damn bland trash. Nary a single visually stimulating shot, bad VN background music and dialogue that dulls your senses.

If I wanted some mix of eroticism, fetishism and comedy I'd rather watch sth like Nisemono's Toothbrush scene 20 times back to back before I'd expose myself to any more of this. At least that sequence is well directed.

Qurupeke

Fune Wo Amu 9

Man, they've actually managed to finish the Great Passage. In hindsight, I'd like to see more of their work on it, but I think they did a good job keeping things interesting and not getting too technical.

...And then Majime realizes there are missing words... RIP

Kishibe is pretty awesome, even for a character that was introduced so late to the story, I really like her. Nishioka remains the best though, I love how there are plenty of hints that he continued to support the team even after his transfer.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 39

Oh noes, the school is in danger of being shut down! What is this Love Live? I think? The school was threatened in a idol show I'm sure. Was it really necessary for all that just to justify Lily getting her own brand? At least Moroboshi got to be funny. Not sure why a Russian guy wants a Japanese idol for his stuff, but okay. Lily continues to stomp on everyone and make them beg for more even with a handicap. Too bad she didn't get a new song (Dreaming Bird is good, but give something new please), but at least she got a new appeal.

Syrinx

Fuuka 3

If I thought I knew what the "twist" was, it would be that Koyuki is a Twitter stalker who plans her schedule and activities around where Yuu is.

But since I don't...Aliens?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 3

If I thought I knew what the "twist" was, it would be that Koyuki is a Twitter stalker who plans her schedule and activities around where Yuu is.

But since I don't...Aliens?
It's not that interesting. Stop worrying about it.

Taruranto

Guys, that's DTL...

Zestiria - 13 [Season 2]

And so I am all caught up for tomorrow's new episode in the second season. Interesting dilemma with the whole malevolence thing.
Rose
doesn't have it, or Sorey would have noticed it by now. The Seraphims seem to know about it already though.

Jintor

nah i just like the delivery better in the anime than the manga and would have probably preferred to just experience the anime first

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Interviews with Monster Girls 02
I just don't really get it. There's not really any point in having these be monster girls. Vampire is probably the worst in that she just does not really display a single tendency that would indicate she is actually a vampire. Have her wear a hat or something to avoid the sun, I don't care, but there really is just nowhere near enough detail work here for this kind of mild take on monster girls.

What the hell am I even looking at?

Why is HEYBOT!?

HEYBOT! is the Gintama tier gag series that nobody knows about so I have to yell about it on Twitter like a Doomsday Prophet. Like this gag where everytime VoCammy slaps the king his mouth moves further and further out of place before re-aligning

Or this gag, where at the end of the episode Nejiru trips and falls onto Heybot and Heybot becomes part of his shirt for no reason.

FluxWaveZ

So I enjoyed Kuroko's Basketball, and I decided to try out Haikyu!! since I've seen the name floating around. I'm at episode 6, and it doesn't seem as compelling to me. It feels more... childish? The humor's not clicking, and I can't say I'm into the protagonist duo that's at the forefront right now. There haven't been too many, but the matches feel less dynamic and far less tense, too.

Worth sticking with despite my reluctance, or are my feelings now a sign that it might not be for me?

So I enjoyed Kuroko's Basketball, and I decided to try out Haikyu!! since I've seen the name floating around. I'm at episode 6, and it doesn't seem as compelling to me. It feels more... childish? The humor's not clicking, and I can't say I'm into the protagonist duo that's at the forefront right now. There haven't been too many, but the matches feel less dynamic and far less tense, too.

Worth sticking with despite my reluctance, or are my feelings now a sign that it might not be for me?

At least keep watching through Nekoma.

Moaradin

I dunno. I've seen both of those shows and I like both of them, but Haikyuu is on another level for me. I thought the matches felt way more dynamic and tense as well. I'd say stick with it.

Taruranto

That's because Kuroko is not a sport series. It's actually a fighting shounen disguised as a sport.

(I'm only half joking)

Without understanding what you liked about Kuroko, I guess the closest thing to it would be Prince of Tennis? If your issue are with the matches, I think the most interesting matches are later and in S2, but I can't recall now. But Haikyuu is a fairly grounded series, so don't expect super powers or people with split personalities. :p

Bungo Stray Dogs 12

I was not expecting that kind of fight. It was practically Jojo-tier insanity. Visually it reminded me of the fantasy dimensions in Witchcraft Works, especially with the colored lineart. The reinterpretation of Anne of Green Gables was highly entertaining as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Interviews with Monster Girls 02
I just don't really get it. There's not really any point in having these be monster girls. Vampire is probably the worst in that she just does not really display a single tendency that would indicate she is actually a vampire. Have her wear a hat or something to avoid the sun, I don't care, but there really is just nowhere near enough detail work here for this kind of mild take on monster girls.

Yeah. It works better if you look at the "monster" as allegory for special needs children but it brings nothing to the actual subgenre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom