• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akiba's Trip 2 (Simuldub)

This is still good in a dumb fun way. They had enough absurd stuff to keep it entertaining.

Tomatsu's voice grew on me. Not that I disliked it last episode, but I came away appreciating it more here.

Saga of Tanya the Evil 2

They did a good job of adapting the beginning of the LN, and exploring Tanya's background. I need to try reading the LN again, but I think this series is a bit better when they edit down some of the stuff.

The Existence X and Tanya's reward scenes were pretty great. The animation did seem noticeably worse in parts this week.

Onihei 1

I wasn't a fan. Animation was pretty bad at times, and the story didn't hook me. I also thought it was dumb to end with that family gag.

Probably going to drop this one, but I might give it another episode.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Haikyuu S1-S3
So I've been sick last week so I had a lot of free time. I asked about follow-ups to Ping Pong and Haikyuu was suggested.

As promised, this is a much more "shounen" and by-the-books sort of show, but I still thought it was good.

The animation and pacing was pretty consistent (even though-- ~10 episodes for one match, lol -- and it's easy to keep animation consistent when you're reusing a shitton of animation each episode), the characters were likable though they did not have amazing depth (I thought it was alright).
The matches felt exciting and like real matches, mostly grounded. It could get sort of annoying in the earlier matches where you're just "okay let's get on with the background for this character we're never gonna see again".

Other than that, I appreciated greatly the effort to show the effort by all characters and to have the skill of everyone developing. Especially what stuck a chord with me is how Hinata had to take one step backwards to take a forwards one (with the
open-eyes new quick thingy
), which is something that happens a lot in sports. The whole training camp in the second season was great.
I also appreciated being surprised at
them losing in the first season
, I just figured they'd go a bit further-- but I kinda thought this was going to be one of those anime where the characters switch around a bit rather than sticking to the same main crew. I thought that because some of the characters appeared rather mediocre, but rather than toss them to the side the series decided to develop them and give them new, but not extravagant strengths.

Now, do I wait for the fourth season or read the manga?

9IRATYs.jpg

I spent 500 yen getting you to this point, get in the hole!

DiGiKerot

When does NA get?:

A Silent Voice

Your Name

No-one even has the license for A Silent Voice in NA yet.

Your Name is a weird one. There's international hold-backs on the disk release, so that won't be until October or November at the earliest. Theatrically, they seem to have pitched their bets on at least an Oscar nomination for publicity, so outside of the key nomination-qualifying markets, I probably wouldn't expect it until at least after the nomination announcements. With the disk hold backs, they may well decide there's no reason not to hold back and see if they actually win, but I'd personally rather more expect maybe March.

Szadek

Currently this is what Winter season 2017 looks like to me:

AOTS contendors:
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Little Witch Academia
March comes in like a lion

Possible drops:
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Gabriel DropOut

Very likely drops:
Fuuka
ēlDLIVE( I'm still watching to see bit more of the main girl)

Still need to catch up to:
Twin Star Exorcists
Gundam IBO

That's much better than winter 2016 as far as I'm concerned.

JulianImp

Hand Shakers - #1
Overuse of drastic camera angle changes, copious amounts of conspicuous CGI and a share of creepy fanservice (class president boob jiggling, masochist girl plus chains) top off a plot that sounds like an awfully generic light novel at best. And it even looks like the MC will be taking the mysterious little girl home and will even be clinging to her hand as she takes a shower in the next episode, because of course she'll die if they ever let go off of each other's hand.

Nope, dropped.

Syv

Neo Member
Speaking of Shaft i hope we will get some information on Owari S2 soonish. Really hope it airs at the latest in winter 2018.
And I wonder if we will ever get the Off-Season animated, the shortest season with 4 books, especially after i read the synopsis and one spoiler for Musubimonogatari, the last book in the Off-Season, because phew...
It doesn't look like Nisio will stop anytime soon writing these with the next Season and the name for the next book already announced.

Mailbox

Turned off Masamune-kun's Revenge in 44 seconds.

Just looked and 44 seconds in the main character is still in his underwear talking to his sister literally nothing but the most base of base exposition has happened at that point.
I normally judge people when they only watch 1 episode and then drop (I've watched plenty of shows where I dislike episode 1 a lot, but end up loving a show), and while I won't judge people for dropping this one as it progresses,

I'm giving you a huge stink-eye.

Time to switch up what I'm viewing.

Think it's about time I watch Re:Zero.

I hope you love seeing characters suffer :)

I loved re:zero and hope you end up liking it too. Have fun!

TUSR

Banned
Just looked and 44 seconds in the main character is still in his underwear talking to his sister literally nothing but the most base of base exposition has happened at that point.
I normally judge people when they only watch 1 episode and then drop (I've watched plenty of shows where I dislike episode 1 a lot, but end up loving a show), and while I won't judge people for dropping this one as it progresses,

i can live with this.

phaze

Bungo Stray Dogs 12

I was not expecting that kind of fight. It was practically Jojo-tier insanity. Visually it reminded me of the fantasy dimensions in Witchcraft Works, especially with the colored lineart. The reinterpretation of Anne of Green Gables was highly entertaining as well.

You're (finally) there !

You're also liking it more than I imagined you would.

Haikyuu S1-S3
So I've been sick last week so I had a lot of free time. I asked about follow-ups to Ping Pong and Haikyuu was suggested.

As promised, this is a much more "shounen" and by-the-books sort of show, but I still thought it was good.

The animation and pacing was pretty consistent (even though-- ~10 episodes for one match, lol -- and it's easy to keep animation consistent when you're reusing a shitton of animation each episode), the characters were likable though they did not have amazing depth (I thought it was alright).
The matches felt exciting and like real matches, mostly grounded. It could get sort of annoying in the earlier matches where you're just "okay let's get on with the background for this character we're never gonna see again".

Other than that, I appreciated greatly the effort to show the effort by all characters and to have the skill of everyone developing. Especially what stuck a chord with me is how Hinata had to take one step backwards to take a forwards one (with the
open-eyes new quick thingy
), which is something that happens a lot in sports. The whole training camp in the second season was great.
I also appreciated being surprised at
them losing in the first season
, I just figured they'd go a bit further-- but I kinda thought this was going to be one of those anime where the characters switch around a bit rather than sticking to the same main crew. I thought that because some of the characters appeared rather mediocre, but rather than toss them to the side the series decided to develop them and give them new, but not extravagant strengths.

Now, do I wait for the fourth season or read the manga?

From what (little) I've seen the manga artstyle is pretty rough, it might be a pain going to that from anime. On the other hand it might be a long time till we get another season, I don't think there's enough material for that but someone correct me if I err here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Masamune-kun no Revenge Episode 1

This was weird. Was like someone read/watched Snafu and decided to do the opposite. Make the character popular, girls like him, put in a sad backstory, and had on a trash level count of monte cristo revenge.

The main character's of both even have green hair and a boy that looks like a girl that is friends with the MC. Even the boy that looks like a girl is just a couple of color gradients from having the same hair as Saika from Snafu.

Szadek

Join me next season and watch all the new shows. Then tell me how you feel about dropping shows after 1 episode.

Eylos

Banned
Finished Season 1 of konosuba, really liked it, there's some flaws, it seems they skipped events in the anime and want to go fast, and its only 10 episodes :(

But its a great anime will start season 2

phaze

Captain Earth 19
02481006bdt.jpg
024815fpapj.jpg

Is this the famed NTR ?

We Yamato now.

The return of Ark Faction or Salty Dog or whatever silly name Enokido has devised for these peeps has been a bore. I'm not really sure why they're so bent on killing the very people who save Earth from destruction every other day but whatever. On the other hand Hana has not been useless for 5 straight episodes now, that's character development for you !

Gundam 0080 war in the pocket

So that was something good! Alfred was definitely not what you would call your average protagonist and it really gave us the story from the side of a kid who had never actually heard anything about war aside from video games and other people. Even though I know that during that time frame Zeon is the bad guy, it really wasn't something evident from a stand alone point. Both side were both guilty really. My favourite part about this 6 part OVA, was probably when Alfred realised that *oh shit people die in war* after the Kaemfer attacked. The realization on what truly happen during a war.

So some bullet points

Positives

-The animation level was fantastic! It looked amazing
-the mecha battles, while not many, were very cool.
-the Kaemfer
-the characters were all super likeable, I really liked Bernie and his zeon friends.
-Alfred grew on me a lot during these six ova and boy was I sad for him at the end.
-a great OST.

Negatives
-People were really lacking in term of panic when mobile suit battles broke inside the colony.
-Why let a broken Zaku there for the whole damn time with no action taken whatsoever, that felt super dumb.

Overall I enjoyed it!

Tales of Zestiria ZA KUROSSU #1-4

I remember not liking the episode 0 all that much, but this has been really good, you guys weren't joking. Looks good as expected for an Ufotable show and it really reminded me how much I liked some of the themes and ideas in the game.
The sword scene was great. And the nostalgic Ladylake music.

Not going to bother with the Berseria episodes.
Right? (Although I was one of them) I'm shocked that not as many people watched this. I actually went ahead and placed this in 5th on my AOTY list yesterday. It's excellent.

Right? (Although I was one of them) I'm shocked that not as many people watched this. I actually went ahead and placed this in 5th on my AOTY list yesterday. It's excellent.
Well not long ago I got slammed and laughted at for saying Tales of Zestiria was a worthy AOTY contender. So yea. Maybe now that people started watching it and getting over their *oh it has to be bad* state of mind, the show will get the attention it deserve.

Ascheroth

Yeah, might have to fit it in somewhere as well.

Tales of Zestira #7-13

Aaand up to date.
This was really good. Somehow this story works much better in an anime than in the actual game, lol. There are also a number of changes that attempt to iron out some of the spotty parts of the game-story, and they're doing a damn fine job.

And yes, Zestira is totally a mahou shonen show.

Yay, my wife and I's anime review website received its first mistaken DMCA claim via google. *sniff* I'm so happy *sniff*
/s but at least it was for Time Travel Girl, and no one watches that anyway.

Anyway I have to say between the website drama we've been having to deal with, and how disappointing this season has been for us we weren't even able to come up with 15 anime we felt comfortable following to the mid season. Had to downsize for once and we're only sticking with 10. Ultimately we decided to stick with:

Seiren: (I liked it, she didn't.)
Interviews with Monster Girls (Both of us loved.)
Idol Incidents: (It was fun in a weird way?)
Gundam IBO: (Carry over)
Gabriel DropOut: (Could get better?)
ACCA: (I liked it, she found it boring.)
Akiba's Trip: (Fun in a good, dumb way.)
Dragon Maid: (Has potential)
Konosuba S2: (We'd been waiting for this all year. Konosuba was literally the first anime we reviewed when the site went live last year.)
Masamune-Kun's Revenge: (Maybe it'll get better?)
Rakugo S2: (Been waiting for this all year. We gave it the 2016 Anime of the Year reward for our website, not that anyone cares :p)

Also keeping a few shorts: Ninja Girl, Piacevole, Nyanko Days. Although we only really think Ninja Girl is good so far.

Also keeping a few shows myself: One Room (out of the novelty of what its trying to do. I also want to see how creepy and uncomfortable it can get when it leers at the girls.) And Chaos;Child since I'd watched Chaos;Head a couple years ago. Seems okay so far.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 14

New op is legit. Iok gets played so easily it's almost comical. Atra is really bad at... flirting? Can you really call that flirting? Naze, please don't call your wives your daughters. Doesn't seem like the Turbines are lasting much longer. Well, Tekkadan will probably welcome the survivors, so hopefully there are any.

Well not long ago I got slammed and laughted at for saying Tales of Zestiria was a worthy AOTY contender. So yea. Maybe now that people started watching it and getting over their *oh it has to be bad* state of mind, the show will get the attention it deserve.

Yeah, might have to fit it in somewhere as well.

Tales of Zestira #7-13

Aaand up to date.
This was really good. Somehow this story works much better in an anime than in the actual game, lol. There are also a number of changes that attempt to iron out some of the spotty parts of the game-story, and they're doing a damn fine job.

And yes, Zestira is totally a mahou shonen show.
My whole deal which correlates with Ascheroth's post is that I dropped the game because I was bored. The story didn't get its hooks on me, and neither did the gameplay.

SOMEHOW Ufotable was able to make this story work in the anime format. Somehow. This is not God Eater tier stuff, this is REALLY good. Like, I can honestly say this may be one of the best Fantasy anime I have watched in recent times.

Ascheroth

My whole deal which correlates with Ascheroth's post is that I dropped the game because I was bored. The story didn't get its hooks on me, and neither did the gameplay.

SOMEHOW Ufotable was able to make this story work in the anime format. Somehow. This is not God Eater tier stuff, this is REALLY good. Like, I can honestly say this may be one of the best Fantasy anime I have watched in recent times.

I completed it, but mainly because of the characters and combat. Story was just servicable with a few highs. If Ufotable can elevate the mediocre parts this much then I'm really looking forward to some later stuff. ...If the anime gets that far.

Tales of Zestiria the X #14

And a strong second episode. I just love that whole dynamic between Sorey, the Seraphim and humans who can't see them. Sergey is great.
I forget to mention it earlier, but I'm digging the new OP. It has a very melancholic feel to it. New ED is good as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 14:

Atra really is determined to bring this entire show down by not only being creepy but also being a terrible person as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom