• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to Bebpo about the game and he mentioned that at some point they removed Alisha from the story and made Rose the main heroine and that's what pissed off most of the JP fans. Lol!!!!

Oh. Makes sense.

The answer is "because she was the producer waifu".
You know I'm willing to take that as an answer because while her
"necessary evil assassin bit"
is important it doesn't seem like she should have so much attention. But I'll hold my judgement till I see more.

Wasn't that a huge deal?

It was a huge deal because IIRC Alisha was initially revealed along with Sorey as one of the main heroines and there was a big pre-order bonus thing involving her getting a special Mystic Arte, or something along those lines.

Then the game comes out, people discover that she leaves mid-way through, and the outrage begins.

Sterok

Idol Jihen 2

What's with legendary idols being named Mizuki? It feels like a trend. Here's an episode that didn't need to have a politics background. It easily could've been a local idol group protesting about the garbage. And I'm pretty sure falling from that height into the water would still kill you. Then again idols can apparently brainwash people by singing, so maybe they have superpowers.

High School Girls Cycling Club 2

Better than the first but still kinda bland. The CG doesnt blend well with the rest however. The vehicles stand out in a bad way.

Theonik

Nyanko Days 2
Great episode. As expected of the AOTS.
Me.

If you won't like Mononoke I will erase you from my MAL friends list.
Consider yourself warned.
Pretty reasonable tbh.

So you're going for the same strategy people who haven't watched Bladerunner use eh?
You mean BAD people.

Oh god no.
If...if I don't watch it I can't dislike it... Yes, my plan is rock solid.
Pls watch this
C2OEjuxXAAAOlCd.jpg
C2OEndTXAAASbxe.jpg

It was a huge deal because IIRC Alisha was initially revealed along with Sorey as one of the main heroines and there was a big pre-order bonus thing involving her getting a special Mystic Arte, or something along those lines.

Then the game comes out, people discover that she leaves mid-way through, and the outrage begins.
Midway? More like a quarter LOL.

Oh boy here we fucking go again

Yami Shibai S4 01

Hey, this wasn't really all that bad. I like the narrator.

Man that ED is hilariously out of tone

Yami Shibai S4 02

This wasn't that bad either. Far better then the last season.

Yami Shibai S4 03

Alright this is good enough to pass as good little short stories to tell in the dark. This episode even managed to have a good ending and didn't blow its load like the last season loved to do.

But I will never get over how Japanese ghosts are assholes for no reason. For actual no reason. Every story is "Here is a story of a guy/girl who one day did this and got fucked by a ghost!" The guy in the first story even did a good thing and the ghost was like "FUCK YOU YOU DIDN'T DO THIIISSSS!" You can't win. Its like that scissor lady ghost who asks you if she is beautiful and kills you if you say no OR yes and the right decision is to ignore her entirely, or how the ghost in the Grudge will follow you out of the original house which is BULLSHIT.

They should just call this show

kZ5cnlD.jpg

Qurupeke

Fune wo Amu [END]
Not bad. The series certainly ended on a high note, I really liked the final episode. Overall, a very unique anime, that just doesn't compare to anything else in the medium. The premise seemed very mundane, but it ended up as a quite interesting show. It deals with a mature subject but I think it was mostly drama free and there was a very optimistic tone on it.

Yeah. Not sure if that made me feel more or less annoyed by the sameness of the nominations.

I like Arkada but he even said it himself that he watches only a few anime every season. I feel like if I was a judge in something like this, I'd want to have watched a lot more so I could make a more informed decision.

Tales of Zestiria 14

I really liked the how they showed us the corrupted side of the politics this episodes and how Sergei and Sorey took the situation with a logic instead of just going full power on them. Speaking of Sorey, he shows us here just how much oh a best boy he is.(along with Mikleo of course!) He is just sooo cool and Likeable, so be ready to hear me saying how I love him many many times. Rose showed us how hard putting our emotions aside truly is, I liked that vulnerable side of her which wasn't really in the game. Also damnnnn, I really don't remember Dezel(or any seraph) to be this strong!

Best ending of the season so far goes to Zestiria and Innocence by FLOW ! it's just amazing, both music and visuals.
Now the question is just which of these images makes for the best wallpaper!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Interview with Monster Girls 2

The premise was fine, but this is a lot longer than it needs to be. Would've been much better as a short anime I think.

élDLIVE 2

Another fun and very colourful episode! I love the cut-ins they have for characters emotions and how vivid and eye catching the transitions for each scene is. Makes the anime very *dynamic* and stimulating visually.

Qurupeke

Edited my AOTY list, one last time, to include The Great Passage. I think there are still a few shows I'd like to check that I missed, like Kuromukuro, Tanaka kun and Bungo Stray Dogs, but I'm pretty satisfied with the quality and the quantity of the shows I've watched last year. It would be nice if the same was true for the movies............

Ascheroth

Tales of Zestiria 14

I really liked the how they showed us the corrupted side of the politics this episodes and how Sergei and Sorey took the situation with a logic instead of just going full power on them. Speaking of Sorey, he shows us here just how much oh a best boy he is.(along with Mikleo of course!) He is just sooo cool and Likeable, so be ready to hear me saying how I love him many many times. Rose showed us how hard putting our emotions aside truly is, I liked that vulnerable side of her which wasn't really in the game. Also damnnnn, I really don't remember Dezel(or any seraph) to be this strong!

Best ending of the season so far goes to Zestiria and Innocence by FLOW ! it's just amazing both music and visuals.

Now the question is just which of these images makes for the best wallpaper!

Yeah, I like both the new OP and ED better than the ones from season 1 - which I also liked quite a bit already.
All aboard the Zestiria hype train!
(No seriously, this anime has no business being as good as it is, but I'll gladly take it!)

I only wonder how far they're going to get with the remaining... 8 episodes? (assuming there are 2 Berseria once again).

I might eventually watch Rakugo once both seasons have aired, but it'll be after the 2016 season voting, so I'll have to consider it as a whole for the 2017 AOTY if I like it.

Yeah, I like both the new OP and ED better than the ones from season 1 - which I also liked quite a bit already.
All aboard the Zestiria hype train!
(No seriously, this anime has no business being as good as it is, but I'll gladly take it!)

I only wonder how far they're going to get with the remaining... 8 episodes? (assuming there are 2 Berseria once again).

You and me both haha, it's just fantastic!

On your question, I am assuming the end? The more the story advance and the more I doubt we will get in any way a similar road to the end of the game. We are pretty far of from the game at this point(even if they follow a similar line) and many thing from the game can be cutted out. I have a few wild thoughts in my head right now on what they may do differently from the game. so game spoilers

1-I'm thinking they might keep Dezel alive in the anime.
2-Alisha will do armatization
3-Eizen will actually heavily influence the story here. Like he will come join a eventual fight.
4-Also the Berseria episodes might be more important then we think.

Of course this is just me throwing ideas, I don't have much evidence on any of this

Exalted

Blue Exorcist S2 Ep 2

I found this episode actually kinda dull , so far not really enjoining S2 as much as i would thought :s . Which is strange since i remember liking and enjoining the first one way back. Hopefully the show picks up in the next few episodes.

Mailbox

Damnit mailbox

I'm a sucker for these kind of shows

You baited me hard.

teehee ;P

Join me next season and watch all the new shows. Then tell me how you feel about dropping shows after 1 episode.
You'd think that would work, but I'm the kind of person who willingly watches horrible anime (Like, in a way that I actively seek it out). I honestly wish I had the shear stamina and focus (and availability) to watch everything this season (and every season) but I just kinda don't. So I stick with a few things minimum and keep at them, until the end (or binge them when they finish).

The only times I've "dropped" something was when I just forgot about it. I still plan on watching those shows though :p

Mailbox

the opening action scene was the worst thing I've ever had to look at. And I've seen an animal get ran over.

And I've also seen Epic Movie.

:D

I'm starting to wonder if this is worse than Lance n' masques. My curiosity has peaked!
Be back after I watch the episode

edit: holy shit, i don't think i've ever seen such a low MAL rating on a show this fast that wasn't a short or something. Holy hell... I have to give this a look!

Hellraider

Black Lagoon S1/S2/OVA

Spoiler free edition

I'm not a fun of action series with guns (not just anime). Two are my main problems with them. The first one is that I can't suspend my disbelief when it comes to having weapons that are that deadly yet barely anyone is getting hurt. The other one is that the flashy action parts just don't entertain me as much as a good mecha fight, a sword fight or pretty much any other kind of fight does.

There was a part of BL that was just that. People running around with GTA-like cheats mowing down dozens of enemies from the easiest difficulty setting of your typical Musou. That part was pretty indifferent to me.

Before watching the series I expected the majority of it to be like this. That's why it took me 10 years to convince myself to finally watch it. Dont ask me why I never asked someone to explain to me in a little more detail what BL was. I don't know.

It was really great to find out that a major part of Black Lagoon was something else, something a lot more attractive to my taste. I loved the general character interaction, especially with the protagonist duo. It's engaging, didn't feel forced and their development had a logical path for both of them. The weirdest thing was that somehow the series managed to make a complete distinction between the ridiculous and exaggerated gun fights in contrast with the way the aforementioned interactions unfold. These interactions as well as the aftermaths of the episodic arcs were extremely nerve wrecking and engaging, unlike most of the fights themselves. Whenever a side story wrapped up I would always find myself eager to observe how Revy and Rock were affected by it. I was also positively surprised by the atmosphere which was (a big part of it because of the amazing ED overlap) many tones bleaker than I expected.

It could have had a couple of anime tropes less and I also wouldn't mind if the over the top fights were considerably toned down but in the end I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, partly to blame to my quite false idea of what it was. I don't expect many people to share my feelings when it comes to the action segment of the series, but as I stated in the beginning this is just my personal preference.

Youjo Senki 2

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

Is this a series where God or a god is 100% real and visible and has an active effect on the world and characters still don't believe it?

I mean its kind of cool when Zoro does it to Enel (even though he's not an actual god) but lol

Masamune Kun's Revenge 2

And the award for the most convenient / ridiculous / rollseyes.jpg panty shots of 2017 goes to...ugh.

Main girl is an awful person, but I do appreciate the lengths she goes to humiliating guys that ask her out. Class rep is also way too good for the MC and its totally his loss.

I'm liking it, even if it does feel very much like a SoL version of Bakuon.

My hope for this show is to become the "Encouragement of Climb" for cycling. Now that the squad is assembled, hope there will be more stuff about cycling, racing and all that good stuff.

Mailbox

Hand Shakers 1

sak_sm_shock.jpg

okay for real this time:

This single episode shows us why every single aspect of anime is important by showing us an episode where not a single bit of it works right. EVERYTHING in this show is straight up bad (though maybe not in the conventional ways)

Lets start with the opening scene. This is obviously meant to be some sort of cold open that's supposed to give us flashy imagery and excitement but all it does is confuse us and give us slight motion sickness. Nothing in this opening makes sense: the VO, the credits, the imagery, not a damn thing.

Next lets go into generals before I get into specific scenes.
1: Art: The art clashes too much. The backgrounds for the most part are actually really really pretty, to an eerie point even. They look like backgrounds taken straight out of a quality VN tbh. The problem comes when you see major characters on scene. The line work for them is in such a weird colour that it hurts to see them in contrast with the background. Why use light blue sometimes? fucking why? it just doesn't make any sense. The characters are animated well enough, but they look gross due to their overlarge eyes and the fucking line colour.

2: 2d Animation: take note: THERE IS SUCH A THING AS OVER-ANIMATING. This is a huge problem when you start seeing abundant scenes where areas rotate and characters need to be re-positioned in animation constantly. Its frustrating to look at. When the camera doesn't act like its in turbulence, the characters and animation can be pretty decent. There were a couple of scenes where the camera stopped, just let the characters talk and do stuff and it felt okay. If this show did more "normal" stuff like that it would be... well, not good, but it would be at least mediocre.

3: 3d animation: >.< this is the worst aspect. not just over reliance, crazy over reliance on 3d cgi. It clashes with everything. Characters, background art, everything. This shit with the chains and whatever should just straight up not be there. Its ugly to the highest degree. Mind you the cg is probably better than the cg work in most anime, and yet it is far more annoying and out of place.

4: Scenario design: What the fuck is even going on. This is an original anime. no one right now has supplementary works to fall back on if they get confused. No one can talk to each other to get a better understanding, not a god damn thing is explained or shown properly. This has to be the most confusing and incompetent scenario design and writing i have ever scene.

5: Direction: Director... just.... fucking stop with the coke you are doing, okay?! The 3d was horrible, the art clashed like a nothing i've ever scene before, the constant camera turning was downright horrid, its just... bad. Stop, go get a burger, sit in a corner and think about what you've done. You have made the world worse with this product.

Now: a specific scene... I'm kinda tired talking about this, so I'm just gonna be quick about it. This whole thing felt really try-hardy. The only scene I enjoyed to some extent was the conversation between the class rep and the MC because the camera for the most part stopped having adhd. Like, give me more scenes like that. No camera panning, no dumb as fuck fight scenes, no stupid shit, just a normal camera.

I do wanna say 4 other things though.
- While i was pleasantly surprised by just how much animation was going on in the background of some scenes, I will say that it felt too much like a waste to give it any praise. This show does not deserve this much attention.
- The shot where the MC goes off on his bike is really really poorly framed. That's all.
- That professor is annoying. Like they took the Steins;gate MC's fake persona and flanderized it. Hate it.
- The character design is pretty boring and this show really fucking needs to cool it on the gainaxing. Stop making that chest jelly jiggle for no reason yo!

overall, I'd say that this isn't "as bad" as lance n' masques just yet, but its much more incompetent. It feels like they have talented people being forced to work under the most incompetent director and the most incompetent scenario writer. I really and truly feel bad for these animators, honestly T_T

convo

Is this a series where God or a god is 100% real and visible and has an active effect on the world and characters still don't believe it?

I mean its kind of cool when Zoro does it to Enel (even though he's not an actual god) but lol

Being X is obviously making things happen.
It hasn't been shown in the show yet but
The god, or being X here is so petty and butthurt it goes to extreme lengths to make someone praise its name through a cheap trick. The manga at least had the character see a god like being.

edit: To make things more clear, no matter if it does god like things, the MC questions how this thing can be god if it's such a cheap and incompetent asshole according to his standards.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 48

This should have been the series right here. Mixing up up the Mundane and Magic Worlds and directly trying to build a bring of friendship and trust between two worlds suddenly intertwined. Keep the first half normal, but that's what the second half should have been. Of course this show has to show all its potential when it's too late to change anything. Deusmast's origins are boring, but making the minions its speaking voice is different. Makes up for it not having a character I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom