• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It's a huge commitment, it has a lot of episodes. I wanna watch Rahxephon sometime soon too... I wanna watch the rest of the GITS universe stuff also. There's just too much for me to ever catch up.

Gurren Lagann - 17

Ahhh
a 7 year time skip
this is awesome.
Rossiu
has kind of become a big son of a bitch hasn't he. And the whole thing with
Nia
, I swear on me mom if she gets killed in the whole process after that proposal and all, I'm giving this show a 1/10 on MAL. Don't do me wrong TTGL. Don't do me wrong. You did it once with
Kamina
, so I know you would have the balls to do it again with her.

Oh fuck. Finish watching it, stat!

Rossiu is an ass in this arc but it's in a way that makes him one of my favourite characters.

I mean, I HATED him first time watching it, but the more I thought about it after subsequent rewatches the more I really came to appreciate him.

I get it too, he isn't exactly wrong. He is the smart man in the room surrounded by people ranging from not so smart to completely dumb. He doesn't want things to go back to how they were, but his demeanor still annoys the shit out of me.

Oh fuck, no, don't do this....
I'm not liking this!!!

I get it too, he isn't exactly wrong. He is the smart man in the room surrounded by people ranging from not so smart to completely dumb. He doesn't want things to go back to how they were, but his demeanor still annoys the shit out of me.

The recap movie of the second half actually does a better job at cooling that demanor down, to make him come off as less of an asshole than the TV Series.

I hope you do find the time to watch the movies after the show, because they take a show that was already good and make it ten times better.

Narag

Nurse Witch Komugi R 3
iPVjizll.jpg
Q9B15kSl.jpg

yvYrDAXl.jpg
W3cJH6Yl.jpg
This show is like one big shitpost and I'm a better person for watching it.

:/

If only you knew the thing's I haven't seen

The recap movie of the second half actually does a better job at cooling that demanor down, to make him come off as less of an asshole than the TV Series.

I hope you do find the time to watch the movies after the show, because they take a show that was already good and make it ten times better.

I may do it just so that I can see the story again knowing what's happening behinds the scenes.

Thoraxes

My Sound! Euphonium soundtrack finally showed up from Play-Asia. Sooooo good, and the packaging is nicer than I expected too.
I just wish it had the song "Sound! Euphonium" from season 2.
(the song from Asuka's dad)

Nice pickup!
I never watched Eureka 7, that's something that is on my list of stuff to watch one day, but I see.

Shit man. That was absolutely bonkers, the animation was just fucking phenomenal, the music, the voice acting, EVERYTHING. And the action and hype just never stopped. It ramped up to 100 in the middle of the episode, and instead of doing what any other show would do after a climax and chill down, it just did the total opposite and kept going up to 500 LOL. FUCK!

Off the top of my head I can't remember the last time I was this shook by an anime episode.

Also thanks ninty, gonna skip 16! So glad you kept beating me over the head to watch this ahahaha.
Soon you'll know why I dropped so much money for that BD BOX. TTGL is my favorite for a reason :)

Soon you'll know why I dropped so much money for that BD BOX. TTGL is my favorite for a reason :)
So far I am really enjoying this, I can't deny it. But it's like I said, if they off Nia I'll riot.

Gurren Lagann - 18

Quite a lot of thought was put into this show. Who would have thought what we saw up until now would lead to this?

I cant stress how much I hate the new (err current) Crunchyroll Apple TV app. I'm sure I've bitched about it many times before but its basically making watching anime a goddamn chore.

Moaradin

You should really watch the second Gurren Lagann movie when you're finished with the show. It improves the second arc in pretty much every way.

Quasar

The current one I guess. They made the update a few months ago and it has some awful user experience.

The previous one wasn't very pretty but it was much easier to find stuff.

Oh I like this one. Except that they removed text labelling in some parts so if you don't know what a shows icon is you are kind of screwed.

Szadek

Mirai Nikki.

EDIT: Although I wouldn't call it good in the strictest sense...

Higurashi.
I already watched both of these shows.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Penguindrum
Utena
Yurikuma Arashi
I have watched Utena an Yurikuma. I suppose I could finally start watching Penguindrum.
Currently isn't a good time for me to start watching JoJo , maybe once I finished 1 or 2 of the bigger shows I'm watching righ now.

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.19
Episode's name is "Aria of a Mother's Sorrow" and my goodness did this one deliver there. It's unfortunate that this relationship was only browsed upon so far because it could have been really powerful if so...

---------

Names, sometimes we're too much alike.... Hurry up and finish the show!

The Gurren Lagann movies are something you watch later to see a flashy rendition of the TV series, not really a thing I'd suggest you watch right after.

Oh I like this one. Except that they removed text labelling in some parts so if you don't know what a shows icon is you are kind of screwed.

Yup, thats one of my biggest annoyances. Theres also no way to view series by seasons anymore and I have no idea why there isn't a "continue watching" section. I have to keep adding stuff to my queue. Another frustration is how multi season series are organized. Before they would list them by latest season first but now its the opposite.

Its just..why would you make these changes. It looks sleeker but the usability has gotten worse.

Only if you care more for bombastic action and over the top animation than actual story pacing and development. The recap movie is pure indulgence. And not always in the good way.

Seconded.

Yeah definitely going to watch it only after I finish all of the episodes.

The Gurren Lagann movies are something you watch later to see a flashy rendition of the TV series, not really a thing I'd suggest you watch right after.

I get what you mean also. Well we will see how I feel after I finish the show. Again I do have a lot of stuff I wanna get to eventually but at the same time, if I do move on to something else, idk when I'd be able to come back to them.

Moaradin

Only if you care more for bombastic action and over the top animation than actual story pacing and development. The recap movie is pure indulgence. And not always in the good way.

I'd agree on that with the first movie, but the second movie legitimately improves that arc. It adds some cool character scenes, the pacing is better, and the finale has even more over the top bombastic action, which is what it was all about in the show to begin with, so that's only a plus in my book.

But I wouldn't recommend the movies over the show. It's a cool thing to watch after the series.

Narag

To Be Hero 7

Events are playing out in a nice manner in spite of the toilet humor. Surprised the show balanced that.

duckroll

I'd agree on that with the first movie, but the second movie legitimately improves that arc. It adds some cool character scenes, the pacing is better, and the finale has even more over the top bombastic action, which is what it was all about in the show to begin with, so that's only a plus in my book.

But I wouldn't recommend the movies over the show. It's a cool thing to watch after the series.

I don't agree at all. I think it's only "cool" if you view it in the context of "oh I already saw the series, I don't really care about this standing alone or replacing anything, I just wanna see cool shit."

The pacing isn't better, the motivations aren't better, the action isn't better. There's more intensity in everything, but it's all indulgence based on expectations of fans who have already seen the series. I mean, if you feel that TTGL was all about being over the top and bombastic, then I'll just say that those are hallmarks of the director's flaws to me, not strengths. Imaishi is a juvenile director with a lot of good ideas but sloppy execution when he isn't toned down by good collaborators. I feel the series is best when the bombastic stuff are earned, and not done for the sake of being done. The movie represents the worst of Imaishi, not the best.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't agree at all. I think it's only "cool" if you view it in the context of "oh I already saw the series, I don't really care about this standing alone or replacing anything, I just wanna see cool shit."

The pacing isn't better, the motivations aren't better, the action isn't better. There's more intensity in everything, but it's all indulgence based on expectations of fans who have already seen the series. I mean, if you feel that TTGL was all about being over the top and bombastic, then I'll just say that those are hallmarks of the director's flaws to me, not strengths. Imaishi is a juvenile director with a lot of good ideas but sloppy execution when he isn't toned down by good collaborators. I feel the series is best when the bombastic stuff are earned, and not done for the sake of being done. The movie represents the worst of Imaishi, not the best.

I disagree with you in regards to the pacing. That was the one thing that people howled about when it was airing and they're somewhat right. The second movie truncates a lot of the bloat in the second half of the TV series. The second half isn't some sort of tight character study.

Also wut at the action not being better. The cuts in both movies wipe the floor with the TV version. The floor.

Thoraxes

So far I am really enjoying this, I can't deny it. But it's like I said, if they off Nia I'll riot.

Gurren Lagann - 18

Quite a lot of thought was put into this show. Who would have thought what we saw up until now would lead to this?

First time a friend showed it to me, we watched the entire series in one sitting because I got so addicted.

Best day ever.

Hand Shakers 1

4: Scenario design: What the fuck is even going on. This is an original anime. no one right now has supplementary works to fall back on if they get confused. No one can talk to each other to get a better understanding, not a god damn thing is explained or shown properly. This has to be the most confusing and incompetent scenario design and writing i have ever scene.

I dont understand this, or see why its a concern at episode 1. Surely there are many great anime that have a complete scenario design or tell you everything.

The main character was just thrust the hand shakers power at the end of the episode, why would you expect a full explanation or not be confused about the powers origins or even why people are after him at ep1?

duckroll

I disagree with you in regards to the pacing. That was the one thing that people howled about when it was airing and they're somewhat right. The second movie truncates a lot of the bloat in the second half of the TV series. The second half isn't some sort of tight character study.

Also wut at the action not being better. The cuts in both movies wipe the floor with the TV version. The floor.

I think there's a range that goes from "bloated, could do with trimming" and "let's just cut out a bunch of shit of focus on jacking off animating a 10 minute action scene instead". The ideal is somewhere in the middle, neither is perfect. What I think is hilarious is how fans celebrate how awesome the action in the movie is when it's just really good animation masturbation. I got bored watching the final fight because it went on and on long after it had any reason to in terms of momentum. Good action direction is knowing when it is enough and to cap it off with a good finisher. Being good at designing numerous nice looking action sequences and getting them animated really well and then just stringing them all together doesn't automatically make something great.

Tales of Zestiria 14

I actually just realized that they're already in Lastonbell, which means they skipped my favorite scene in the game, that fake inspection one.

Jarmel

Banned
I think there's a range that goes from "bloated, could do with trimming" and "let's just cut out a bunch of shit of focus on jacking off animating a 10 minute action scene instead". The ideal is somewhere in the middle, neither is perfect. What I think is hilarious is how fans celebrate how awesome the action in the movie is when it's just really good animation masturbation. I got bored watching the final fight because it went on and on long after it had any reason to in terms of momentum. Good action direction is knowing when it is enough and to cap it off with a good finisher. Being good at designing numerous nice looking action sequences and getting them animated really well and then just stringing them all together doesn't automatically make something great.

The first movie I will agree that it's too truncated. Simon's arc works better the longer he's in his funk after
Kamina's death
. That way the high of him picking himself off the ground is much more euphoric as a result. Not to mention the Generals are more fleshed out in the TV series and the movie runs out of time and has to quickly kill them off as a result. Not to mention the adventure aspect is more grandiose with the longer runtime as well. The second arc doesn't really have that character development because Simon has already gone through it. In fact it's more infuriating when he relapses and so the second movie truncating those sections makes the work better. I don't feel like the second movie by reducing the runtime of the series is cutting out some integral character arc or harming anyone's development.

As for the length of the movie version final fight, it's not that long and works as a good climax point for the franchise. It allows all the characters a moment to shine and makes it feel more like a team effort than the TV series. Sushio's cut at the end is also really fantastic.

Mailbox

I dont understand this, or see why its a concern at episode 1. Surely there are many great anime that have a complete scenario design or tell you everything.

The main character was just thrust the hand shakers power at the end of the episode, why would you expect a full explanation or not be confused about the powers origins or even why people are after him at ep1?

okay, maybe I should have been more clear, I wasn't really talking about the specific "hand shakers" stuff in hand shakers, I was talking about how the show handled its pre-text and exposition prior to everything.

The cold open was legitimately horrible (not just as a cold open, but as... anything really), Its unclear as to what the MC does at all (does he do electrical repair work on the side? or was it auto repair? or was it medical engineering? How did this doctor contact him? is it a genuine side job, or what? Is he a highschool student or a middle school one? what the hell and how the hell does this character do anything?), its unclear as to anything in the who what and where of it all too. We don't know where we are in the setting, we don't know who anyone (ANYONE) is, and we don't know a damn thing about what anyone is doing. There is absolutely ZERO context given in this episode, and for an introductory episode which is meant to give some semblance of setup that is downright disgraceful. If a book's first chapter or movie's first 10 minutes made the viewer feel as lost and made the production as pointless as this anime's first episode did it would have been deemed unacceptable by everyone.

Not to mention that the show is already constantly lying to you from the start. Theres some semblance that there this alt world in the cold open and when he first holds her hand, but then we see that the world looks exactly the fucking same. The weird and interesting imagery is just there to be "artsy and random" and doesn't work because its just a lie. Lets not forget that we are lied to about the whole "she will die if you don't hold her hand, handshaker" because we FUCKING SEE ANOTHER HANDSHAKER LET GO OF THEIR PARTNER'S HAND AND SHE WAS FINE! oooooooo that makes me miffed!

But the way this is paced makes me feel like the writer and director just thought "we'll put in this cool battle, and just have the entire episode be about leading up to that" but then forgot to give even an ounce of context. They had 22 minutes to give you a set up and it was wasted. This felt like a middle school writing essay that was written in a couple of hours right before the deadline; without editing or even another pass through. Just 1 read through, just one, would have told ANYONE in that production team that this was confusing and a huge mess of a first episode.

I'm fine with stuff like not telling up exactly what hand shakers are, and I'm fine with them not really telling up much on the mystical side of things but you can't give us fucking nothing for the first episode. You only have 12, don't waste your, and our, time!

duckroll

As for the length of the movie version final fight, it's not that long and works as a good climax point for the franchise. It allows all the characters a moment to shine and makes it feel more like a team effort than the TV series. Sushio's cut at the end is also really fantastic.

It's boring after a point and the momentum is poorly paced. By the time you get to the end cut I don't even care about the fight anymore. It's the perfect example of a set piece that works better when split into a bunch of segments and just used as gifs or webms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom