• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Duckroll on this. That fight in question becomes dull. No manner of animation quality can save something that has overstayed its welcome to the point of tedium.

Some of you guys are crazy about TTGL Movie 2's action. I don't know how any part of that version of the final fight could be called tedious in every way. Especially with
all the amazing Tengen Toppa robot designs being constantly thrown at you, along with the remixed version of the OP.

It's basically fanservice in the best possible way for anyone that enjoyed the final battle in the TV series.

Narag

Some of you guys are crazy about TTGL Movie 2's action. I don't know how any part of that version of the final fight could be called tedious in every way. Especially with
all the amazing Tengen Toppa robot designs being constantly thrown at you, along with the remixed version of the OP.

It's basically fanservice in the best possible way for anyone that enjoyed the final battle in the TV series.

designs being constantly thrown at you.

Well.

I mean, if you don't like that, I guess one could find it tedious but I find it hard to imagine anyone who enjoyed TTGL up until that point would end up disliking that.

Granted it's been some years since I've watched that film, but I do exist.
Despite the Chiefs trying to rip my heart out yet again,

I enjoyed the film overall anyway. It's just something I'd recommend as something you return to later rather than watch immediately after the TV series.

Moaradin

The movie version of that fight is amazing, and it was already a crazy fight to begin with. The extra time spent went into making all the characters contribute in a meaningful way, and the movie does a good job of making it more of a team effort than the show did. None of it was tedious to me.

duckroll

I mean, if you don't like that, I guess one could find it tedious but I find it hard to imagine anyone who enjoyed TTGL up until that point would end up disliking that.

No offence but it's hard to want to bother explaining why it would be a negative when your viewpoint is basically "this is SO awesome, when you stack AWESOME on AWESOME, it only gets MORE AWESOME!" Fanservice is generally bad when it is recognized as fanservice. The best "fanservice" is stuff which seamlessly blends into a narrative without drawing attention to itself. Once it is obvious, it sticks out. That could be good for people who don't care and just want that. But it's not a good narrative technique, and it's not a useful direction.

Narag

I find bigger isn't necessarily better especially when it comes to anime as its exercising a lack of restraint and often really self-indulgent. It's also why I find a lot of super robot stuff kinda fizzles out the longer it goes on. Case in point, everyone loves to gush over the Goldion Crusher when GaoGaiGar Final is brought up but it's almost entirely due to the "wow look @ that" sense of scale involved that ends up so ridiculous it broaches on comical. At that point in the OVA, I was ready for it to just be over. Meanwhile, I still think the Guy vs Mamoru fight was the best thing to come out of it because it was such a focused intimate encounter with just enough doubt being cast that it creates a sense of meaningful drama.

Rainy

Banned
RahXephon 3
HzyAkvM.png

Still so much to figure out. But this show has me hooked. I like the music too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do you want a faithful adaptation of the story or someone going wild with the premise?

Going wild with the premise, with them actually getting on a fantasy rocket and blasting off into space, and fighting on a grid.

duckroll

Do you want a faithful adaptation of the story or someone going wild with the premise?

It's impossible to have a "faithful adaptation" of the story because as a mobile game it's structured around the party characters being an unknown factor. The character and their backgrounds/stories are independent from the main scenarios which treat the player's party as an abstract group. I would want an anime that adapts the tone of the world faithfully, bringing to life the places and events which I read about in the game, while also integrating my favorite characters into the narrative and being true to their designs and back stories at least.

Going wild with the premise, with them actually getting on a fantasy rocket and blasting off into space, and fighting on a grid.

Go away troll.

Make Matsuno World the anime version.

Antibullyranger, help!

It's impossible to have a "faithful adaptation" of the story because as a mobile game it's structured around the party characters being an unknown factor. The character and their backgrounds/stories are independent from the main scenarios which treat the player's party as an abstract group. I would want an anime that adapts the tone of the world faithfully, bringing to life the places and events which I read about in the game, while also integrating my favorite characters into the narrative and being true to their designs and back stories at least.

The "integrating favorite characters" part is where gacha game adaptations tend to fail and devolve into random fanservice that doesn't hold up on its own.

Jex

Ah cool, we're talking about how the TTGL movies are worse than their TV counterpart (which already had issues).

Good.

Quasar

Onihei 2 - So every story is going to be a one-off? For some reason I thought #1 was setting up a longer story with those two working together. Was alright though.

Jarmel

Banned
I find bigger isn't necessarily better especially when it comes to anime as its exercising a lack of restraint and often really self-indulgent. It's also why I find a lot of super robot stuff kinda fizzles out the longer it goes on. Case in point, everyone loves to gush over the Goldion Crusher when GaoGaiGar Final is brought up but it's almost entirely due to the "wow look @ that" sense of scale involved that ends up so ridiculous it broaches on comical. At that point in the OVA, I was ready for it to just be over. Meanwhile, I still think the Guy vs Mamoru fight was the best thing to come out of it because it was such a focused intimate encounter with just enough doubt being cast that it creates a sense of meaningful drama.

Well there's two different approaches right? One element of most shounen and super robots is the sense of escalation. Things get increasingly crazier or extreme in either scale or power. In Gurren Lagann's case, that notion of scale works perfectly because of where Simon starts out. There's nothing inherently wrong about being self-indulgent to the max as long as its entertaining. GaoGaiGar Final is a bit mess for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with scale. However it's still an entertaining watch because of how strenuous the fights are. It is also kind of hilarious that it ends with Guy smashing out a goddamn sun. What makes Final so great really has little to do with the scale but rather how brutal the show is and also the emotions behind the characters. Guy vs Mamoru is indeed the best part of Final, although I was asking "wtf is going on???" throughout it. That has less to do though with it being a small in scale but rather the audience's familiarity with the characters.

Since everybody is on the G-Gundam train right now, both the Master Asia vs Domon Final Round fight and the Domon vs Devil Gundam fight are fantastic episodes but for different reasons. The Devil Gundam stuff at the end isn't small in scale but it still works wonderfully because of the stakes involved and the visuals attached such as the King of Hearts Final Attack.

They're equally valid approaches.

duckroll

The "integrating favorite characters" part is where gacha game adaptations tend to fail and devolve into random fanservice that doesn't hold up on its own.

I dunno. Is that really true. Are there examples? I think every game has pretty obvious favorites and starters, so it's not really that hard...

Seeing Narag's Nurse Witch Komugi R impressions reminds me that I did watch that show till about episode 3 or 4 and dropped it and I'm not entirely sure why.

PK Gaming

The first Gurren Lagann movie was essentially a recap flick so it's whatever, but the 2nd film made some genuine improvements. But even when you take those improvements into account, the TV series is just better. I don't think Gurren Lagann was meant to be consumed in a movie format; it took time to digest the plot beats and fights, and the movie is just a string of moments one after another (
Ending an episode on Kittan's sacrifice was important; it was an excellent way of building up to the final confrontation
). That's not even taking into account the important scenes that were cut or the nonsensical changes
why are they undoing deaths, everyone getting their "moment" was dumb, etc

The final battle is very "epic" in the movie, but I actually prefer the original's.
The fist fight is totally badass, but somehow at odds with the concept of an "anti-spiral"

sonicmj1

Hand Shakers 1

gjnZt82.png

Never again.

I cannot understand how so many people put so much blood, sweat, and tears into producing something so hideous.

Jarmel

Banned
The fist fight is totally badass, but somehow at odds with the concept of an "anti-spiral"

Actually that was perfectly in line with the anti-spiral stuff.
Their whole gig was mirroring any action by the protagonists and bringing them to despair by essentially beating the heroes at their own game. That's why the Anti-Spiral literally dukes it out with the TTGL at the end. The fist fight was just another form of that.

duckroll

Face it, there are two groups of people - those who think the stupid ass fight at the end of the second movie was cool, and those who are right.

3Kaze

Or can it?

You know, in theory these mobile adaptations have the potential to be better than your average videogame adaptation, but alas It looks like Bahamut is going to be an outlier.

Well, Rage of Bahamut is an outlier because it's based on a card game with no real story, the main characters in the tv series were all original. Granblue, FGO and I guess Chain Chronicles are story heavy, which doesn't make them any different than regular jrpg adaptations.

Line_HTX

Scum's Wish 01

Uhh... Wow, I don't know what to say. I thought reading the synopsis was a little odd, but watching this was a whole another matter. I have never heard of a plot that has a relationship quite like this one. It was like a double whammy in a way with those two.

Damn, that was uncomfortable, haha.

I don't see a good end to this pact.

duckroll

Well, Rage of Bahamut is an outlier because it's based on a card game with no real story, the main characters in the tv series were all original. Granblue, FGO and I guess Chain Chronicles are story heavy, which doesn't make them any different than regular jrpg adaptations.

Is Bahamut really an outlier? What about Sengoku Collection, Dragon Collection, Show by Rock, or even Love Live? Seems like mobile games with stories like Granblue are the outliers.

Szadek

Drifters is fucking awesome.

How the hell can any of you hate it when it has that amazing OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5tb8kSSBs

NA NA NA NA NA NA. NANANANANANA

It's essentially GATE mixed with Fate Zero so far in terms of action in a fantasy setting of elves/dwarves and bringing in heroes from different eras.
I don't think anyone dislikes the OP.

elDLIVE - Ep. 2
It becomes pretty obvious by now that the actions scene in this anime aren't going to be great.
I will watch a few more episodes for Misuzu. If she ever stops insulting the MC every few seconds, I know it's time to drop this show.

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 19-20
These episodes were pretty good, but the anime just couldn't help itself and put a hhuge asspull in episode 20.
Benio's power up made perfect sense give Kamui's personality, but Rokuro's comes right the fuck out of nowhere.

Line_HTX

Akiba's Trip the Animation 01

I'm still mad that there's no corporate boss lady Shion or that F1 driver Kimi Raikkonen.

The animation looks fine, I guess. Would never have guessed it was GONZO quality. Haven't seen their stuff in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom