• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Tanya the Psycho ep. 2
lCS5cAD.jpg
Lol, so that's what the deal is, lol. The show isn't thst good, but the nattld scenes are fun and look nice. I'll give it another episide to see what happens.

Not sure if anyone here even remembers the audio issues with FUNimation's Code Geass R2 Blu-rays, but the replacement discs are finally starting to turn up...wrong. Discs 3-4 appear to be the corrected BDs, as the discs series numbers are certainly different, but discs 1-2 were sent as DVDs. Trying to spread the news again that the issues still have yet to be resolved.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-17/funimation-addresses-audio-issues-on-code-geass-r2-release/.107770
https://twitter.com/Moontei/status/820488268261236736

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Little Witch Academia Episode 2:

Right, I think Diane manage to go through an entire character arc in the space of one episode, which is an admittedly impressive use of narrative space since it didn't feel forced.

Sterok

Gabriel Dropout 2

Vigne carrying the star angel and the (self-declared) future queen of hell on her back. Both sides are screwed. These people aren't too good at keeping their identities a secret. Raphiel knows how to get followers.

Wait there's only 13 episodes of drifters?

Shit. I'm only 3 God damn episodes away from finishing. I Binged the shit out of it. It was fantastic.

It's as fun and violent as Hellsing. Might update my AOTY and put it somewhere.

Though it does need more Hitler.

Little Witch Academia TV 02

Man that scene with the statue moving looked utterly fantastic.

I actually really like that Diana is less bitchy and conceited in this. Yeah she's still super elite princess tier, but her advice isn't wrong, bad or mean-spirited and she isn't smug and pretentious about anything she does. Witches would see those parlor tricks as being lesser or undermining what Witches actually do, and she has no actual disdain for Akko. Its her groupies that seem to have absorbed her bad tendencies from the OVAs.

Eumi

Impressions for the 2nd Ep reminded me I hadn't watched this yet. It was pretty fun.

Not too much to say though. Looks great, sounds great.

I wanna know more about goldfish teacher though.

Izayoi

Banned
Barakamon 5-12

Beautiful. ;_;

I loved this show. Thanks for the recommendation, everyone!

Gundam Unicorn 1-22

Ridiculous and nonsensical by the end, but that's Gundam for you... My biggest problem was the massive drop-off in animation quality by the halfway point. Super disappointing, as that's what initially grabbed me. Iron Blooded Orphans looks even worse... Zzzzz....

The broadcast dub of 91 Days finished it's run last night. It was a pretty fun ride overall and straightforward tale about the price of revenge. Much like the Baccano dub, the voice actors straight up delivered here and I actually can't imagine watching it in the original Japanese given the setting.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gabriel DropOut Episode 2:

Already lost interest in this, maybe I should pick up that Interview with Monster Girls show that seems to be getting good reviews instead.

Narag

The broadcast dub of 91 Days finished it's run last night. It was a pretty fun ride overall and straightforward tale about the price of revenge. Much like the Baccano dub, the voice actors straight up delivered here and I actually can't imagine watching it in the original Japanese given the setting.
Any clips of the dub up on YouTube etc?

Izayoi

Banned
It's one of the best in the biz for a reason, lol.

What's next on that giant list we gave you?
Tsuritama and Etotama. I had already seen CCS (who hasn't?).

Edit: And Non Non Biyori, it seems.

I'm done with Gundam now, and so I'm OK to take on something more serious as well. I was thinking about Drifters? Yay or nay?

Mokoi

Banned
Symphogear G 1
j2FXt7x.png

Smug chris
Heh the opening was funny with English singing, and a battle on a train. Something tells me this scientist dude started the noise to wreck shit. Wonder what other gears show up, and how there is a second gungir. Off to a good start I would say.

Cornbread78

I'm done with Gundam now, and so I'm OK to take on something more serious as well. I was thinking about Drifters? Yay or nay?

Not bad at all.

Easy going:
Tsuritama
Etotama
Non Non Biyori

More serious:
Yona of the Dawn
Fate/Zero
Blast of Tempest
Erased
Code Geass
Eureka 7
Katanagatari
Kokoro Connect

Yay for Drifters.

Also did you watch My Hero Academia? if not watch it!

I also recommend Tales of Zestiria the X and Seraph of the End

Other recommendations

Ajin
Orange
91 days
Concrete Revolutio

Jex

[Kare Kano]: 1 - 6

As a fan of all of Hideaki Anno's work I'm kind of embarrassed that it's taken me this long to this series.

I was certainly put off by the generally negative assessment of the back-half of the series, but at the same time I consider myself a pretty big fan of Nadia and that's another Anno work that's brought down by some terrible episodes as well.

I'm also not particularly interested in this kind of genre. Romance dramas tend to be slow, conservative, repetitive and dry in a manner that I cannot care about. I was labouring under the false impression that the tone of this series would be more of the same.

I was, therefore, pleasantly surprised to encounter such a vibrant, experiment and warm series. I hadn't anticipated that this was a genre that Anno would excel at, but on reflection, I should have known that stories like these, which feature a considerable amount of internal dialogue and self-reflection, would be right in his wheel-house. Moreover, Anno clearly doesn't have any truck with simply emulating conventional genre style - he's created his own unique, energetic, engaging aesthetic which really brings me into the world of these characters in a manner that I had not anticipated.

This is a work which is sorely in need of some long-form analysis to highlight the brilliance of the visual talent on display here.

phaze

Arima a shit.

Arakawa Under the Bridge Season 1 and 2

Fun, quirky, absurd and ridiculous. I really enjoyed it and the craziness that surrounded the two seasons.

I'll have to look into the Manga to see how it ends.

Nice pick ! Got to finish S2 one of these days.

Jex

[LWA TV] - 2

This was an episode of animated television.

It was created by Studio Trigger.

Broadcast in Japan on the January 15th.

Made by mostly Japanese people.

It was 24 minutes long.

It had audio.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[LWA TV] - 2

This was an episode of animated television.

It was created by Studio Trigger.

Broadcast in Japan on the January 15th.

Made by mostly Japanese people.

It was 24 minutes long.

It had audio.
I can't tell if this is a positive review or a negative review...

LuffyZoro

Little Witch Academia TV 02

Man that scene with the statue moving looked utterly fantastic.

I actually really like that Diana is less bitchy and conceited in this. Yeah she's still super elite princess tier, but her advice isn't wrong, bad or mean-spirited and she isn't smug and pretentious about anything she does. Witches would see those parlor tricks as being lesser or undermining what Witches actually do, and she has no actual disdain for Akko. Its her groupies that seem to have absorbed her bad tendencies from the OVAs.

Even in the OVAs, her groupies were always worse than she was.

Little Witch Academia 2

It looks pretty nice. But it was... I will be honest, it was boring.
Part is because we know already the characters from the OVAs, part is because these characters were always stereotypes since the start.

Jex

I can't tell if this is a positive review or a negative review...

It's my experience of watching LWA TV. It's a work that leaves almost no impression on me, besides being a thing that exists. It's not really particularly good or particularly bad. It just...is.

You sit down to watch it. Images flicker on the screen. Time passes. Then it's over.

I probably wouldn't check out episode 3 if this was just an 'original' series.

OMG THE HORROR IS NOT OVER!

Sega Sammy is releasing a Eureka Seven AO Pachislot machine! And to commemorate that.....

http://www.sammy.co.jp/japanese/product/pachislot/2016/eurekaao/episode/

They are releasing an ENTIRE BRAND NEW FINAL EPISODE by BONES in 4 parts!

The... horror....

I walked by a couple places promoting this. I'll see if I can get a pic of the poster promoting it.

is there a manga just with a bunch of feuding warlords who arrived from the future into a fantasy world and have enslaved their own corner of the fantasy world

I'll have to look when I get home, but that sounds vaguely familiar. Most are just "a group or class are summoned as heroes" and they don't get along like Shield Hero or some of those LN trash ones where the MC is abandoned or left for dead and becomes an edgelord as a result.

I also am semi amused that I went to Akihabara yesterday and knew the area thanks to playing Akiba's Trip. Found it really easy to get around.

Clov

Not sure if anyone here even remembers the audio issues with FUNimation's Code Geass R2 Blu-rays, but the replacement discs are finally starting to turn up...wrong. Discs 3-4 appear to be the corrected BDs, as the discs series numbers are certainly different, but discs 1-2 were sent as DVDs. Trying to spread the news again that the issues still have yet to be resolved.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-17/funimation-addresses-audio-issues-on-code-geass-r2-release/.107770
https://twitter.com/Moontei/status/820488268261236736

Wow! How could Funimation have messed up this release so badly?

Next go to Kabukicho and compare it to Yakuza ;p

Lol that's where my hotel is. Trust me when I say walking around here at night has been a trip.

Morning too. The amount of walk of shames or girl's coming off work has been staggering. You also get such amusements as the following when we went for breakfast at a bakery and passed a love hotel:

There's also an ad I'll take a pic of across the street in front of some batting cages that I'm dying at. It's just a poster of some dude eating this girl's ass that says "I'm doing me!" or somesuch.

pbayne

Finished Paranoia Agent

Good show. The anime production and the suicide pacts episodes in particular i thought were brilliant. Episode about video games was probably the only real clunker to me. Feels like a show that'll get better and better on subsequent re-watches.

Finished Space Dandy S2

i liked season 1 of Space Dandy even though personally i thought it was very swing and miss. But i appreciated that it always swung for the fences.
Season 2 overall was just knocking it out of the park everytime in comparison.

Qurupeke

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Movie: Gurren-hen

With the earlier discussion about the movies and considering I've only seen the series once, I felt a strong desire to join the fun. It's been a while and honestly, I've forgotten a lot of details, but the movie is pure hype. It's unbelievable that an anime like that exists, every action scene had me with a big smile. Things were generally moving too fast, it was essentially a parade of the series' iconic moments, but I really don't care. It was awesome.
Kamiya's death got me again. The finale with Simon getting out of his depression, even though it was much shorter this time, delivered again.
Also, nice to see that Viral, Yoko and Nia are as great characters as I remember. Oh, and I loved the opening scene with Lordgenome. The film's animation was top notch, but this was one of the stand outs, right from the beginning.

TTGL is sooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom