• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Absolutely disgusting.

I knew there was a reason you weren't approved

Tx5uAOu.gif

See, now you've done it.. she da best..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know those zoom outs are actually pretty labor intensive, since the entire figure needs to be redrawn just a bit smaller every frame to maintain constant line width. It's not a simple matter of just panning the camera back like it is for the CG background.

Qurupeke

You know those zoom outs are actually pretty labor intensive, since the entire figure needs to be redrawn just a bit smaller every frame to maintain constant line width. It's not a simple matter of just panning the camera back like it is for the CG background.

And then it ends up as a tumblr gif.

No offence but it's hard to want to bother explaining why it would be a negative when your viewpoint is basically "this is SO awesome, when you stack AWESOME on AWESOME, it only gets MORE AWESOME!" Fanservice is generally bad when it is recognized as fanservice. The best "fanservice" is stuff which seamlessly blends into a narrative without drawing attention to itself. Once it is obvious, it sticks out. That could be good for people who don't care and just want that. But it's not a good narrative technique, and it's not a useful direction.

I find bigger isn't necessarily better especially when it comes to anime as its exercising a lack of restraint and often really self-indulgent. It's also why I find a lot of super robot stuff kinda fizzles out the longer it goes on. Case in point, everyone loves to gush over the Goldion Crusher when GaoGaiGar Final is brought up but it's almost entirely due to the "wow look @ that" sense of scale involved that ends up so ridiculous it broaches on comical. At that point in the OVA, I was ready for it to just be over. Meanwhile, I still think the Guy vs Mamoru fight was the best thing to come out of it because it was such a focused intimate encounter with just enough doubt being cast that it creates a sense of meaningful drama.

I think Jarmel accurately sums up my feelings on the matter.

Well there's two different approaches right? One element of most shounen and super robots is the sense of escalation. Things get increasingly crazier or extreme in either scale or power. In Gurren Lagann's case, that notion of scale works perfectly because of where Simon starts out. There's nothing inherently wrong about being self-indulgent to the max as long as its entertaining.

I feel like it really works in TTGL's sense in that going above and beyond and piercing the heavens was what it was all about. The second movie really just takes it a step further.

With regards to GaoGaiGar FINAL, yeah Guy V.S. Mamoru is objectively better than Goldion Crusher, but the latter is there just to serve as a fitting finishing move to end the show with a bang. If it went on longer, yeah it would make the show worse, but it doesn't, and it's able to remain as an awesome super robot moment rather than an annoyance.

Thoraxes

Not sure if anyone here even remembers the audio issues with FUNimation's Code Geass R2 Blu-rays, but the replacement discs are finally starting to turn up...wrong. Discs 3-4 appear to be the corrected BDs, as the discs series numbers are certainly different, but discs 1-2 were sent as DVDs. Trying to spread the news again that the issues still have yet to be resolved.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-17/funimation-addresses-audio-issues-on-code-geass-r2-release/.107770
https://twitter.com/Moontei/status/820488268261236736
I already emailed them about it on Friday lol

Andrew J.

Little Witch Academia 02

This episode retreads material (thematically, not plotwise) from the original OVA even more than the first, so it felt a little slow-going for a while. Fortunately, by the end it starts pushing Diana's character development to the foreground more and establishing some intriguing intra-faculty conflict. This personal tutoring angle could really go somewhere.

Little Witch Academia 02

This episode retreads material (thematically, not plotwise) from the original OVA even more than the first, so it felt a little slow-going for a while. Fortunately, by the end it starts pushing Diana's character development to the foreground more and establishing some intriguing intra-faculty conflict. This personal tutoring angle could really go somewhere.

I have to imagine then there's eventually going to be a few episodes retreading the Magical Parade.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Monster Musume Episode 1

Wait, he can't fuck them?

You sad son of a bitch MC.

I was surprised by the amount of plot. Her upper body is amazing.

Haly

Fucking would endanger human-monster relations.

Haly

It's a shame the anime isn't getting an S2 because later on you get to meet... their mothers....

Bungo Stray Dogs 13

The overall tone of this flashback arc is more oppressive than the majority of the show has been. At the same time that makes the goofy comedic moments stand out even more awkwardly than they've done in the past. Dazai enthusiastically playing his PSP game while called to the scene of a murder, or the bizarre moment where the Port Mafia head was undressing a little girl (which made me feel like I had leaped into Monogatari for a second) - those moments were pretty painful to sit though. Aside from that the plot setup is intriguing, as are the tenser character interactions, so I'm interested to see where that goes.

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.13
I love how the show finally gives you some info, but absolutely NO context behind it, so you still have no clue what is going on. Also, Ayato got cucked and lost a girl, lol.

Wow! How could Funimation have messed up this release so badly?
I already emailed them about it on Friday lol

Who knows other than the lack of or poor quality control. Hoping the Blu-rays that did actually get to us were properly corrected, as I see the disc series was different, but I just want to know when I can rewatch everything. Really wish more Japanese BD-boxes had the English dubs included so I feel my money was more than well spent. Hope the email I sent did not sound too demanding, I tried to word it with all my disappointment though.

Hm... I know they focus on his sisters and the loli vamp, right? Same kind of exposition-heavy, animation-lite type deal?

Thats Nise, the worst season imo. Great production values but the Fire Sisters just aren't interesting.

Second Season is where it really ramps up. Thats the powerpoint type of exposition heavy Monogats. Theres an entire episode thats just Shinobu narrating over Japanese woodcut style art. Its really, really good art though.

Cornbread78

Gabriel Dropout ep.2
Yeah, I'll give this one more shot to get better, but the episodic format and poor humor just didn't work for me this episode..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom