• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's intensive for no reason as they could composite the character and simply scale it with the background, as there's no angle change or perspective shenanigans that would make a simple size reduction slider not work.
side by side of the two to see lost detail

vbixZk7.png

I mean I'm sure there's a reason they do it but my limited knowledge doesn't let me see why for a static zoom out non perspective changing shot

Having limited knowledge of animation techniques, I'm guessing it's to keep the line art consistent. Simply scaling the image would make it look like the camera is zooming out instead of moving back.

So I'm kind of mixed on the premise of Orange, especially since it's dealing with such a heavy topic in Suicide.

On the one hand, tackling the idea of depression and survivors guilt heads on is important, but the whole time traveling aspect of it got me feeling conflicted.

Cornbread78

Just like my mom's cornbread

I love you

Thanks man.

So I'm kind of mixed on the premise of Orange, especially since it's dealing with such a heavy topic in Suicide.

On the one hand, tackling the idea of depression and survivors guilt heads on is important, but the whole time traveling aspect of it got me feeling conflicted.

I think they did a really good job closing out all the loose ends, but for some viewers it was hard to look past the "sci-fi" tag as well as with what
Suwa was giving up in the current timeline, by not following what happened in thr other time-line
he was the ultimate best bro....

Andrew J.

I haven't seen this but I am honestly not shocked. This stuff is great, they knew exactly what to do to draw out these emotions from the viewer.

Gurren Lagann - 22

DID GURREN LAGANN JUST COMBINE WITH THE SHIP WHILE CROSSING ITS ARMS. AND NOT ONLY THAT, YOU NOW HAVE A MECHA DRIVING A MECHA DRIVING A akshdjksjdhaskjdhakdkasjdhask

The real Gurren Lagann starts here.

Mailbox

i just wanna point out that "cuck" might be applicable to a specific series later this season.
but the term NTR may very well not apply.

hmmmmmmm

kewlmyc

Wow, this page was a nightmare.

Didn't know "cuck" was associated with neo nazis now. It's an annoying overused word, but I didn't know it was a racist one.

duckroll

Wow, this page was a nightmare.

Didn't know "cuck" was associated with neo nazis now. It's an annoying overused word, but I didn't know it was a racist one.

I don't really associate it with those things in particular, it's just a term that in my experience is only used by people who dwell in the fringes of the internet and have zero self-awareness. I guess that includes those groups!

Taruranto

The moral is to never post words. Communicate solely in tumblr gifs.

What does tumblr have against good quality gifs anyway.

So Yuri on Ice was a pretty fun watch overall. As sports anime go, it was pretty fairly straightforward, but I ended up finding myself really enjoying the cast. It was also refreshing to see an LGBT couple in a mainstream anime that wasn't just blatant queer-baiting. My only complain was the show putting random focus on JJ in the last couple of episodes. His arc kind of comes out of nowhere and frankly, I found it kind of distracting since he was such a tryhard.

The whole 2 last episodes are kind of a disaster in general, honestly they kinda smell of hastily rewritten because it was making more money than gold.

Some of the writer interviews do make some developments more tolerable, but there still a lot of shoddy writing. It doesn't help that the show climaxed by episode 7 and 10, which really resulted in a pretty weird pacing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Youjo Senki: Alt right power fantasy
Masamune-kun's Revenge: MRA cuck fantasy

Aki-at

Hey guys, what's up? I couldn't go to sleep so-

RahXephon ep.13
I love how the show finally gives you some info, but absolutely NO context behind it, so you still have no clue what is going on. Also, Ayato got cucked and lost a girl, lol.

Oh, lol. It's Erased's fault..

Is NTR Neo acceptable.

Youjo Senki: Alt right power fantasy
Masamune-kun's Revenge: MRA cuck fantasy

let's be honest, Masamune-kun would be funnier if he had a bunch of bros in fedoras like nodding at everything he does.

Your Name passed Spirited Away. RIP.

giphy.gif

I'm going back to sleep.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sadfrog was co-opted by white supremacists as well, sorry.

Sadpanda is still kosher though.

I'm about to jump into One Punch Man finally, and I can't decide between Japanese or Dub. I've listened to a few samples of both, and while 90% of the time I prefer watching subbed, I must say the dub of this seems really damn good.

I've heard good things about the dub. But nothing will ever beat sub Saitama for me.
Maybe I'll go with sub then...I just watched a short comparison scene of some big baddie talking smack, and Saitama pausing for a moment before saying "OK" after a long pause. It was great in both voice-wise, except for the dub they inserted crickets before he says "OK". That really bothered me....

Wait. There are only 12 episodes?! But what if I love it? What do I do after 12? What happens with my life then?

turmoil

Banned
Maybe I'll go with sub then...I just watched a short comparison scene of some big baddie talking smack, and Saitama pausing for a moment before saying "OK" after a long pause. It was great in both voice-wise, except for the dub they inserted crickets before he says "OK". That really bothered me....

Another good aspect of the dub is that it allows you to concentrate in small animation details if your anime-subs reading skills are not so leveled-up.

Second season is coming this year

I'm about to jump into One Punch Man finally, and I can't decide between Japanese or Dub. I've listened to a few samples of both, and while 90% of the time I prefer watching subbed, I must say the dub of this seems really damn good.

Dub was pretty excellent over all. I just didn't care for the direction they took with Genos' voice.

Totakeke

WTF.

I watched all 13 episodes of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu because of all the positive comments on the voting thread, but this was ALL A LIE.

TV Anime:

1) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: By far, this is the best anime of 2016. The subject matter is fascinating, and the show doesn't rush us through any of it; we get to see several rakugo performances at length throughout its run, and it gives its viewer an appreciation and understanding of the art. This is on top of its well realized cast (Yakumo and Sukeroku being the standouts, of course) and excellent direction (the performance of Shinigami in the final episode being my favorite scene of any 2016 anime). If you have to watch any anime that aired in 2016, this abolsutely should be your first priority.

There was no rakugo performance in the last episode. Bullshit. I'm so disappointed now when I thought nothing could top Sukeroku's in the penultimate ep and was expecting more.

Thanks all for feedback on One Punch Man. I'll hopefully be blazing through this weekend. Also, sweet Lordy. I missed the trailer for second season of The Eccentric Family. My body is ready. They took too long to reveal Benten though. My heart almost dropped at thought of her not making a return.

duckroll

91 Days - Episode1

Gonna get through this before voting for AOTY.

This is one weird show. I think I really like it but like, it's not a Prohibition Era mob story. I mean, I know that's what it says it is, but it's not. It's more like some fantasy alternate reality mob anime based on someone's imagination of what the Prohibition Era might have been like in a place that is clearly not America but some made up country that's a gestalt of period western countries.

It's over the top, it has an odd rhythm of drama and humor, and everyone is crazy. The music is good. I dig the character designs, and the art direction nails the mythic fable tone it's going for. This is definitely more Gungrave than Boardway Empire. I'm very interested in seeing how the good the story feels by the end, because this is Taku Kishimoto's first original writing gig afaik.

TUSR

Banned
vHC7Irz.png

All Simulcast times are listed as UTC+00:00

Monday
16:00 Gabriel DropOut
17B2PFm.png

19:05 Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation
17B2PFm.png

Tuesday
16:00 ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.
17B2PFm.png

16:30 Ai-Mai-Mi Surgical Friends
17B2PFm.png

18:00 Hand Shakers
17B2PFm.png

19:05 Kemono Friends
17B2PFm.png

Wednesday
14:00 Akiba's Trip The Animation
17B2PFm.png

16:00 One Room
17B2PFm.png

16:30 Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
17B2PFm.png

17:00 CHAOS;CHILD
17B2PFm.png

18:35 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2
17B2PFm.png

Thursday
15:30 Piace: Watashi no Italian
17B2PFm.png

16:00 Masamune-kun's Revenge
17B2PFm.png

16:30 Marginal#4: Kiss kara Tsukuru Big Bang
17B2PFm.png

16:40 Koro Sensei Quest!
17B2PFm.png

17:00 Super Lovers 2
17B2PFm.png

Friday
15:30 Saga of Tanya the Evil
17B2PFm.png

13:30 FOREST FAIRY FIVE
17B2PFm.png

16:30 Fuuka
17B2PFm.png

17:00 Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club
17B2PFm.png

17:30 Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel
17B2PFm.png

18:30 Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc
17B2PFm.png

20:45 Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
17B2PFm.png

Saturday
6:00 Seiren
17B2PFm.png

6:00 URARA MEIROCHO
vLIADRB.png

14:30 Spiritpact
17B2PFm.png

16:00 Rewrite: Moon and Terra
17B2PFm.png

17:30 Interviews With Monster Girls
17B2PFm.png

Sunday
16:30 Idol Incidents
17B2PFm.png

17:00 ēlDLIVE
17B2PFm.png

17:30 Nyanko Days
17B2PFm.png

19:15 Yami Shibai 4th Season
17B2PFm.png

19:35 Gintama.
17B2PFm.png

TBD Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceita
17B2PFm.png

91 Days - Episode1

This is one weird show. I think I really like it but like, it's not a Prohibition Era mob story. I mean, I know that's what it says it is, but it's not. It's more like some fantasy alternate reality mob anime based on someone's imagination of what the Prohibition Era might have been like in a place that is clearly not America but some made up country that's a gestalt of period western countries.

It's over the top, it has an odd rhythm of drama and humor, and everyone is crazy. The music is good. I dig the character designs, and the art direction nails the mythic fable tone it's going for. This is definitely more Gungrave than Boardway Empire. I'm very interested in seeing how the good the story feels by the end, because this is Taku Kishimoto's first original writing gig afaik.
Best way to describe it is Gungrave before it shat the bed.

And yeah, the background art is a treat so many times. I kept describing it at a water painting, but someone more artistic can do a better job at it. The city looks like if America had a little Italy, but it was a whole town.

Are you watching the dub? Someone posted a clip earlier and the Brooklyn accents are amazing.

Though it never reaches western Mafia levels, you can clearly tell they were inspired by just straight forward revenge and mafia stories and made a show of the basic themes

Bungo Stray Dogs 14

I really like the sound direction, particularly the effects that are chosen to transition between scenes. The louder clock tick that initiated the flashback to Oda and Dazai's first meeting with Ango was an effective choice, and the clink of glass after
Oda's poisoning, when he recalls the pleasant times of the trio drinking together
was simply heartbreaking. This show really knows what I want from the coordination of sound and image.

91 Days - Episode1

Yeah, it feels kind of weird for that reason. It's period but not quite real period, which gives it a sort of "out of time" feeling.

It is, unless you count the original Jump Festa episode he wrote for Haikyuu.

Best way to describe it is Gungrave before it shat the bed.

And yeah, the background art is a treat so many times. I kept describing it at a water painting, but someone more artistic can do a better job at it. The city looks like if America had a little Italy, but it was a whole town.

Are you watching the dub? Someone posted a clip earlier and the Brooklyn accents are amazing.
God, I love Gungrave. It did start to go downhill in the final 3rd of the show, but the ending made up for it (for me, anywho)

Kickz

Caught the first 2eps of new Blue Exorcist season, and man does it feel good to have this gang of characters back after like 5 years.. Just all around good shounen vibes, especially that Uverworld opening which is sweet.

Aki-at

God, I love Gungrave. It did start to go downhill in the final 3rd of the show, but the ending made up for it (for me, anywho)

I love Gungrave and I definitely had no problem with which direction the final third went (But hey ho the video game is one of my favourite on the Playstation 2 so I was expecting that level of insanity) more issues with how the animation quality started to slump towards the end.

But that ending episode was fantastic, really left a strong impression on me.

duckroll

Though it never reaches western Mafia levels, you can clearly tell they were inspired by just straight forward revenge and mafia stories and made a show of the basic themes

No I'm just watching whatever originally aired. I don't watch stuff dubbed the first time anyway. Unless it's a game. Then it's whatever I end up buying.

I think the craziness of the characters definitely draws from pulp revenge tales and exploitation films in the past. The use of knives is pretty cool because it literally puts an edge on everything. Lol see what I did there!!!

Yeah, it feels kind of weird for that reason. It's period but not quite real period, which gives it a sort of "out of time" feeling.

I dig it though. I mean after everyone said it's "bad western film anime" I was expecting the worst, but it's actually a really cool unique style. The setting has more in common with Baccano than a white man series. But even more imaginary.

Gungrave is the best mafia anime ever. Too bad about the zombies and monsters though. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom