• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuuka is by Kouji Seo, right? No way in hell I'm touching that :v

I usually always at least watched one or two episodes of everything that I though that could be interested but I can't do that anymore. So thanks a lot!

Gonna check the others that are not sequels that I'm already watching/planning to watch.

And DTL list is "never must watch list" for me, sorry
DTL recommendations are basically a broken clock situation.

Fuuka is by Kouji Seo, right? No way in hell I'm touching that :v

I usually always at least watched one or two episodes of everything that I though that could be interested but I can't do that anymore. So thanks a lot!

Gonna check the others that are not sequels that I'm already watching/planning to watch.

And DTL list is "never must watch list" for me, sorry

Youre missing out on a great original story in hand shakers, a unique origin idol story in marginal #4, and definitive brotherly love in super lovers :(

Narag

Ai Mai MI: Surgical Friends 3
WhKm10el.png

imagine a world without Ai Mai Mi for I cannot

Qurupeke

ACCA 2

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz again.

Eventually something big will happen but for now it's mostly stalking, imouto and gigantic foods. It's not like I dislike the show, but even the character designs make me lethargic....

MSMrRound

Hyouka 21-22

Oreki's anger was justified. Though he might have the love-hate friendly rival relationship with Mayaka, Fukube really went a bit too over the line, with Chitanda bearing a heavy weight and feeling responsible for causing the trouble.

He really appreciates Mayaka's feelings for him, but yet at the same time he's still a bit hesitant to commit to a relationship, due to maybe a bit of his own insecurity issues, thinking that he's probably not as great as Mayaka had envisioned him to be, and that if they got together too soon, the chances of them splitting up along the way might increase due to the "freshness" of being in a relationship start to wear off.

Mayaka's character was pretty great though, she had been chasing after Fukube for so long that she had already analyzed most of his personality for herself, so it wasn't too hard for her to realize that Fukube had already taken the chocolate from the Classics Club room, only that he was still unwilling to straight up to give a answer straight to her face.

She's been there before though, I could tell that she was willing to wait for Fukube to commit.

It's rather manly of Fukube to come around in the end (though credits have to be given to Oreki for giving Fukube a piece of his mind), and give a call to Mayaka to apologize for his beating around the bush.

Though it wasn't really specified in the show, the phone call gave me the vibes that the relationship between Fukube/Mayaka got pushed in a more positive direction. It's a start, that's for sure.

The thing with Oreki helping out with Chitanda with some of her stuff is that he isn't always in the loop, regarding their traditional customs or whatsoever, so there's a real sense of him viewed by others in the room as "the outsider".

As someone who's been involved in events before, if you are tagging along with your friend for something, we would prefer if you just sit still and shut up while we go about doing our stuff, which might explain why the elderly gentlemen in the room was not too pleased when Oreki suggested the bridge might have been closed for construction work, since having to check up on these sort of issues will no doubt result in the creation of more work for the organizers.

Why do more work when we could have just conserved our energy? Well, unfortunately they were not the highest up in the room and when the upper management "arrow" you to do something, you jolly well better do it or they will come after your ass!

Thanks to some snap decisions, it turned out that Oreki was being perfectly honestly and wasn't trying to cause extra trouble for nothing.

The parade begins and...the emperor is Erisu-senpai? Well, she really nailed the look didn't she? Also poor Oreki...enchanted by Chitanda's look but yet he was unable to sneak some peeks at her full face since he was firmly planted at the back. Better wait for those photos to be published!

Parade ended in a successful note and both Erisu and Chitanda changed back into their regular clothing...nooooo, I thought that make-up and stuff would have been a lot harder to remove!

Chitanda then set off on a walk in lovely weather brought about by the bloom of the cherry blossoms, oh hey Oreki she's starting to talk about her future. There's your cue! It's now or never!

YESSSS you actually blurted out your thoughts!!! So nonchalantly too!

no wait...those words are only what you are thinking about internally? THAT FAKE OUT! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. KyoAni, the troll, the troll strikes again!

Overall, lovely series. Glad I had the curiosity to continue watching it since some of the earlier stuff could have been a tad too dry for the general casual viewer.

Best arc was definitely the school festival arc and I really liked how episode 20/21 panned out...if only if the last episode ended a bit more conclusively...but I heard the Hyouka novel's not quite done yet...and that it hasn't been updated in quite a bit? Sigh...

It really felt like it could have used a better finish/or even a movie spin-off just focusing on the relationship aka Hyouka Love Story when. Tamako Love Story proved even without that fat bird it's still quite an enjoyable (and cutesy) watch

Definitely rank up there as one of my favourite KyoAni shows alongside Sound! Euphonium.

Still a bit 50/50 regarding Maid Dragon. Hopefully Violet Evergarden delivers when it's finally out.

Cornbread78

Hyouka 21-22
Chitanda then set off on a walk in lovely weather brought about by the bloom of the cherry blossoms, oh hey Oreki she's starting to talk about her future. There's your cue! It's now or never!
YESSSS you actually blurted out your thoughts!!! So nonchalantly too!
no wait...those words are only what you are thinking about internally? THAT FAKE OUT! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. KyoAni, the troll, the troll strikes again!

Well, you took that much better than I did, lol.

I was really pissed at that scene because it was artistically beautiful, however, in that one moment, they could have made it one of the G.O.A.T scenes, but
nope, fu(k off shippers
, this is anime....

cue Hyouka defense force saying the artistic subtlety of the scene makes it better, blah, blah, blah..

Hq4srX2.gif

MSMrRound

I was really pissed at that scene because it was artistically beautiful, however, in that one moment, they could have made it one of the G.O.A.T scenes, but nope

Like I said, Hyouka is definitely pretty good, but lacks...I dunno... a little something at the end...episode 22 did not really feel like the last episode and I was expecting to see more. I don't even mind if they do something similar to Tamako Love Story but it's probably too far gone by now unless there's new material for KyoAni to work with.

Cornbread78

Because yeah, all of us are wrong and you're right because you keep saying so.

but of course.

In my world, I am right and that's all that matters, lol.

Oh, I hear ya. It could have definitely used some closure in my opinion.

Like I said, the sequence was absolutely stunning, but they removed that one impact of closure and decided to go with an
open ending
instead. Maybe they were planning on a 2nd season at some point?

I definitely agree and Tomako Love Story type movie would be perfect to close things out.

I was really pissed at that scene because it was artistically beautiful, however, in that one moment, they could have made it one of the G.O.A.T scenes, but
nope, fu(k off shippers
, this is anime....

cue Hyouka defense force saying the artistic subtlety of the scene makes it better, blah, blah, blah..

Hq4srX2.gif

The artistic subtlety of the scene makes it better

Unlike that GIF

I see that Food Wars placed in the top 5 of last year's AOTY voting, but doesn't seem to be getting many mentions in this year's thread. Looking for a new show to pick up and that one looked fun, but didn't want to commit if S2 is no good.

Any guidance?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I see that Food Wars placed in the top 5 of last year's AOTY voting, but doesn't seem to be getting many mentions in this year's thread. Looking for a new show to pick up and that one looked fun, but didn't want to commit if S2 is no good.

Any guidance?

Season 2 was good. Might have had 1 or so rough episodes, but it was still really entertaining.

TUSR

Banned

Any guidance?

Season 2 was good. Might have had 1 or so rough episodes, but it was still really entertaining.
Too much of the same and at times was a PowerPoint Presentation.

MSMrRound

Any guidance?

Food Wars is still Food Wars and it stays pretty true to the manga. Second season follows the Autumn Elections arc, so you will be looking at a battle tournament format coming into it.

It's just that sales DVD/Blu-Ray for the 1st season of Food Wars didn't do all that well so when a second season rolled around the hype around the "naked exploding food show" kind of died down/became muted somewhat. The 2nd season also aired as the manga went through a pretty rough patch with many readers not really enjoying the then-ongoing arc that the author was pushing for so the expectations were also lowered by a lot during the time that it aired.

It's still pretty enjoyable, but a notable chunk of the budget seems to have been blown on the first episode of season 2 so the later episodes didn't get that much attention.

Overall if you want me to compare the two I'll say season 1 is still the more enjoyable ride, but season 2 will do well if you enjoyed the first and just wanted more Shokugeki no Soma content.

Qurupeke

I didn't phrase that correctly, add a "I suppose". I have no knowledge of any future events, sorry if I got your hopes up. :p But it's quite apparent it's a calm before the storm start. I can't imagine the show actually maintaining its current tone and being full of red herrings, though we already had one in episode 2...

How did you already learn about the DTL list? You must be a lurker then, lol.

I posted around here more some time ago but I couldn't keep up with the thread and pretty much gave up. Same thing with MangaGAF, I even was on a dumb avatar bet about how many chapters would Hunter x Hunter be running.

Qurupeke

Any guidance?

Season 2 lacked Season 1's charm and for the most part it was mediocre with a few bad episodes. And the good episodes were rushed, to boot...

Cornbread78

I posted around here more some time ago but I couldn't keep up with the thread and pretty much gave up. Same thing with MangaGAF, I even was on a dumb avatar bet about how many chapters would Hunter x Hunter be running.

It's at a much tamer pace from before, so hopefully, you can keep up now, lol.

Season 2 lacked Season 1's charm and for the most part it was mediocre with a few bad episodes. And the good episodes were rushed, to boot...

I actually feel like they've already adapted the best the manga had to offer. The latest arc has felt... weak, as if the manga is stuck in a rut and doesn't know what to do besides the same kinds of things it's done before. It's fallen pretty far in the shonen jump rankings too. Best it seems to do is 7, which is low/lower middle of the pack.

Cornbread78

Not gonna Dog Days with potentially an 0-16 season next year?

;P

Sounds like what Houston's record should have been with their terrible QB if they didn't have that D...

Is A Certain Magical Index worth a watch?
The first season was kinda fun to watch, but I haven't gotten around to S2 yet to see hwo they continue... We were actually talking about it a few pages ago and I guess there is enough source material for about 7 full season's.....

Qurupeke

I actually feel like they've already adapted the best the manga had to offer. The latest arc has felt... weak, as if the manga is stuck in a rut and doesn't know what to do besides the same kinds of things it's done before. It's fallen pretty far in the shonen jump rankings too. Best it seems to do is 7, which is low/lower middle of the pack.

I'm not reading the Soma manga, but yeah, this kind of sums up what I've heard. It seems they're introducing important characters through the OVA, and considering its sales, I think that's it for the Soma anime. I'm just waiting for the Yuragisou no Yuuna-san anime adaptation, as far as Shounen Jump smut mangas are concerned.

ACCA 2

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz again.

Eventually something big will happen but for now it's mostly stalking, imouto and gigantic foods. It's not like I dislike the show, but even the character designs make me lethargic....

*gonna quickly check animeGAF before I watch this episode*

welp, here I go

I like the arc right after this one, it's even one of my favourite with one of the favourite character. The
festival with Kuga
, but yea it plummets for quite a while after that. It did get back to something good now though.

T-Rex.

Banned
The first season was kinda fun to watch, but I haven't gotten around to S2 yet to see hwo they continue... We were actually talking about it a few pages ago and I guess there is enough source material for about 7 full season's.....
Fun is all I need. Tbh I'm just looking for something fairly lengthy to watch and there's nothing else on my list that fits the bill.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Interviews With Monster Girls Episodes 1 and 2:

Well then, I can see why this show is garnering such high praise as this is an very rarefied anime series indeed. No so much the monster girls part but the framing as they are clear stand in for the life of marginalized minority groups and dealing with life as an "Other."

If I had to pick a specific group for symbolic representation it would be the disabled since the Demis basically have conditions that define every aspect of life right down to interactions with so called average people and I am pleased this is being tacked fro ma very adult perspective. Highlight of the season thus far.

Your Name opens in US and Canada on April 7.

Funimation also revealed that the band RADWIMPS is creating all-new English-language versions of the songs it produced for the original film that will be featured in the English-dubbed version of the film. RADWIMPS lead singer Yojiro Noda spent part of his childhood in the United States. RADWIMPS composed over 22 tracks for your name.'s soundtrack, as well as the film's theme songs "Zen Zen Zense (movie ver.)," "Sparkle," "Yume Tōrō (movie ver.)," and "Nandemo Ii ya (movie edit/movie ver.)."

I assume this is why it's taken so long for Funimation to release the film here compared with other countries.

Cornbread78

Fun is all I need. Tbh I'm just looking for something fairly lengthy to watch and there's nothing else on my list that fits the bill.

Have you every watched Fairy Tale? If you looking for something that has a mix of action and comedy with some fun characters, I would say give it a shot as well. I watch a couple episodes a week (except that one arc I couldn't stop watching because it was so damn good)

a couple others I've spent a lot of time with:

- Eureka 7 if you haven't spent time with it (50 eps)
- *Monogatari is has a ton of material to watch (a lot of eps)
- Cross Game is you want to watch a sports/drama anime (50 eps)
- G Gundam if you want to mecha craziness (50eps)

I hope you get berated by Miss Erina or Raphiel, Kiritobread.
:T

LOL, keep Miss Inhuman away from me! Raphiel is an evil, evil angel as well..... Poor Satania..

Make sure you give the Railgun anime a shot too! It follows the main heroine, Misaka , of Index and her friends.

I keep forgetting about this... I really need to finish S2 of Magical Index, so I can delve into this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom