• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey while looking at the MHA limited edition, I noticed funimation changed their mobile site. Looks really nice. Anyone tried streaming through it yet?

Edit: oh yea I just remembered today was the day they launched their new site.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Movie: Lagann-hen

Wow. Better than the first movie. That final battle was unbelievable. Thought that the various things I read about it was hyperbole, but it was truly 25 minutes or so of pure action, the best of its kind.
Loved the bit with all the different Tengen Toppa and then another combination, because being able to throw galaxies as shuriken wasn't enough. I remember LOVING the original finale, but this was something else, good God...

Nia's the best.
Also, I remembered how big of an ass Rossieu was.

Awesome movies. Everyone who watched TTGL should watch them eventually.

------

Damn, both of my TTGL posts on the bottom of the page. I should have waited. :<

Man, I can't wait for Names to finish the show tonight.

The last few episodes are what cemented the show as my favourite anime of all time.

The last few episodes are what cemented the show as my favourite anime of all time.

I don't think I'll be finishing it tonight, seeing how I still have 6eps to go, along with today's Acca. Also got a new game, so I wanna put at least an hour into it. It's gonna be a busy night lol.

I don't think I'll be finishing it tonight, seeing how I still have 6eps to go, along with today's Acca. Also got a new game, so I wanna put at least an hour into it. It's gonna be a busy night lol.

I dunno, those last few episodes have a certain magical quality to them that make it almost impossible to NOT finish the show in one sitting.

You might just get sucked in the same way I did. :p

Qurupeke

Yeah, I'm surprised he took that long, though his pace picked up. It's the only 25~ episodes show I've managed to watch in one day, it's that entertaining. At least, he's enjoying it too.

Someone needs to finish Penguindrum though. :p

This game better be actually good.

Yamishibi Season 4 01

Oh man. I am so glad this is back!

Fuuka 1-3

No. No. Nonononononono. I've seen this before. ENOUGH! Childhood friends never win. Ever. Sigh...

Will continue to watch. I am trash.

Nobunaga no Shinobi 1-15

This show is an utter joy to watch. Love everything about it.

------------------------------------

Also, my roommate started Madoka Magica on my recommendation. I am loving his reactions so far up to episode 5 its just great.

Roommate:
This is dark and tragic. *turns to me* Does it get worse?
Me: *grins*

Cornbread78

I dunno, those last few episodes have a certain magical quality to them that make it almost impossible to NOT finish the show in one sitting.

You might just get sucked in the same way I did. :p

Yup, have some beers and/or your favorite bottle of booze as well as a cigarette ready for the experience...

Narag

Hundredphiles have always been the worst.

jXxsmyLl.png

ACCA - 02

This OP is best of the season material. Rakugo 2 is great too, but it doesn't ooze the same style that ACCA's music and visuals that go along with it do.

Some high level fuckery going on here with his supposed best friend of 30 15 years. This show gives me heavy "calm before the storm" vibes with everything that is happening

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ACCA 02
The coolish demeanor of these characters doesn't ooze style, it just leaves me feeling cold. A certain stiffness is expected with the totalitarian setting but there is just an absence of emotion here that I cannot come to terms with. I'm probably getting off here.

Syrinx

Mob Psycho 100 9

Probably don't have much to say that hasn't been already said, so all I'll say is that this is the best anime from 2016 that I've watched. At least so far.

Acca 13 02

Man I'm loving this show every step of the way. The OP is without a doubt the best of the season, I'll fight you if you say otherwise. Otus continues to entertain me with how much I love his jacket and the way he looks classy AF in it.

We had another intro dealing with exposition, but in a manner more fitting in having a tour guide teaching children what Acca and the government is. The classic 'explain it to me like I'm 5'. It was helpful as now I have an actual grasp of the country, Acca, and the king's relationship.

Interesting direction to take the show and a nice little twist that anybody who watches shit with twists could have guessed as it was the easiest one, but I guess they revealed it in the same episode because the author didn't think it was that big of a deal either. Seems like my assumption that the
Director General
will get involved with Otus based off the OP was correct, but a blind man could have seen that haha.

As someone who isn't watching much this season, it's painful to have to wait 7 days for each new episode. Going to be my AOTS.

duckroll

91 Days - Episode 5

I understand the whole "enemy of my enemy" thing, but didn't this entire mess literally start because one of them tried to kill the other in the privacy of his home (okay his mistress' home but whatever)? I'm not sure something like that can result in a logical alliance.

91 Days - Episode 5

I understand the whole "enemy of my enemy" thing, but didn't this entire mess literally start because one of them tried to kill the other in the privacy of his home (okay his mistress' home but whatever)? I'm not sure something like that can result in a logical alliance.

If you're talking about Fango then he's just a crazy motherfucker with a twisted sense of humor and high ambitions. He isn't necessarily smart, just opportunistic.

Just finished reading Bakemonogatari Part 1, got to love the authors pages where Nisio Isin flat out says the creation of this series was so he could make all those dumb conversations between characters.

Narag

91 Days - Episode 5

Doesn't sound like I should really catch up on this before the end of the month.

duckroll

If you're talking about Fango then he's just a crazy motherfucker with a twisted sense of humor and high ambitions. He isn't necessarily smart, just opportunistic.

I know he's supposed to be the "crazy motherfucker" character. I think that was obvious when he was first introduced as the guy who would walk into a speakeasy with a tommy gun and then get himself set on fire at the end of the set piece. Every episode in the show emphasizes that he's an unpredictable crazy motherfucker.

That's not my point. I'm just saying. This whole thing. Seems like a bad idea. Angelo's plans generally involve "pretend to be a nice guy and get the Vennetis involved in really bad ideas" so far. I can't believe it keeps working...

Hey while looking at the MHA limited edition, I noticed funimation changed their mobile site. Looks really nice. Anyone tried streaming through it yet?

Edit: oh yea I just remembered today was the day they launched their new site.

Yet another dumb redesigned site with overlry large buttons as if everyone is browsing only on phones and tablets. Stuff is too big on pc.

;d

That lead-in into OP though.

It's the ending with the lead into the ED that's the real highlight of the episode though. The huge fiery explosion happens, Oda is knocked back, and as the debris flies through the air the huge noise of the explosion fades out to be replaced by the high-pitched ringing you get in your ears when they are overwhelmed by an excessively loud sound. As the ringing gradually increases in intensity, Oda's normal deadpan voice begins to narrate atop the image from behind of him struggling to lift himself up. As he says, "I heard someone screaming," we begin to hear the muffled sounds of his own screams underneath the ringing, as if from a great distance. As he continues to narrate, we cut to his face - and this is a real shock, as Oda has always worn a straight-faced, emotionally reserved expression up to this point, but here his eyes and mouth are forced open into an expression of utter terror, pain, and despair. The thick character outlines that previously designated comedic deformations in the show are here deployed for the exact opposite effect, together with heavy linework and an intense shaking animation loop.

The ringing gets louder and shriller until - suddenly all sound cuts out. Then the old man's voice from the opening scene returns over Oda's still screaming face, and only afterwards does the image cut back to the stark silhouette of that scene explaining Oda's motivation to avoid killing. In response to the old man no longer comes the voice of the younger Oda though, but present-day Oda sorrowfully rejecting his offer. The guitar intro to the ED song begins to play as the camera cuts back to show Oda alone at the table, the old man having disappeared. Sharp cut to black. Oda's painful scream starts fading back in, accompanied by the gradual fade in of the image of his kneeling in front of the fireball. This time there is no ringing or muffling to shield us from the full horror of that raw scream, in which Junichi Suwabe shows himself to be a full master of his craft. The tears well in his eyes, his face becomes more and more racked with pain, the scorched scream continues to well up until it is choked off by the next episode title card, and the vocals come in just as the credit roll on black starts. Mmmm, gives me the chills just thinking about it.

I don't know how much this description means for someone who hasn't watched the scene in question, but man, this perfect coordination of sound and visuals for emotional expression in service of characterization - this is what I want.

I know he's supposed to be the "crazy motherfucker" character. I think that was obvious when he was first introduced as the guy who would walk into a speakeasy with a tommy gun and then get himself set on fire at the end of the set piece. Every episode in the show emphasizes that he's an unpredictable crazy motherfucker.

That's not my point. I'm just saying. This whole thing. Seems like a bad idea. Angelo's plans generally involve "pretend to be a nice guy and get the Vennetis involved in really bad ideas" so far. I can't believe it keeps working...

Call it plot convenience, but he's also someone who doesn't hold much important to his own life if he thinks everything is going to fall apart and his plan won't come into fruition. He's willing to risk his life with fairly stupid and simplistic plans of being dependable and straightforward.

In the world of mafiosos where everyone is trying to get ahead of each other and families kill each other, I assume these people see the charade and think it of refreshing. Not everyone is comfortable with his act though. I'd need to be reminded exactly what you're talking about, but it just seemed like dumb luck.

Is VRV worth it? I see it has PS4 and Android support.

I'm still waiting for it to support Roku and Tablets before I try to sign up. Though from what I hear, if you are in it for the Simulcast/Dubcast anime, then apparently there's a couple hours of delay for their library to get updated compared to Crunchyroll and Funimation's apps.

Prince of Stride Alternative is releasing in April. I cant wait to own it and rewatch it again. Easily one of my fav osts from last year. You gotta show me is the composers best song along with the theme of end of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom