• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

How can you not see that most of the question arcs were black comedy?!

I can see why someone would view them that way in the anime, especially when Seiya Numata is involved as his rough, off-model animation style is particularly suited to comedy (which is why Milky Holmes works so well for him). I really don't think they're meant to be primarily comedic though, even in a black way, especially when they deal with subjects like childhood trauma and child abuse. When I originally watched the Higurashi anime around the time it came out I did enjoy it at face value, as paranoia horror, but when I returned to it several years later after having read the VN I could no longer view the anime as anything but a half-assed travesty.

sonicmj1

91 Days - Episode 9

I think the biggest problem with this show is that none of the drama feels convincing, real, or earned. It's just a bunch of stupid characters saying things like they mean something, but the only times the show is actually entertaining is when people do stupid ass shit and others die hard. I would say the writing shares more in common with Code Geass and Death Note than any white man show or HBO show I know. It's just over the top stuff mixed with camp mixed with pulp and then once in a long while they try to have serious character moments and it falls flat.
I think this is a totally fair assessment of the show, particularly through the entire middle section. It's pretty much how I felt when I was watching it.

That's not such a terrible thing. I wouldn't have finished the series if I was having a bad time. Lots of people love Code Geass and Death Note!

I don't get it, does bungo stray dogs have other mafia bits in the show? Because phaze was swearing up and down that the prequel arc was the best mafia bit in Anime, but out of context and with its length it didn't really do much for me. The whole arc ends with an Anime ass fight that is entertaining but it isn't the brutality or type of battle I expect out of mafia media.

I think this is where gaf and I will disagree once again purely on what is entertaining vs quality.

When I watched 91 days I was never bored. At its core I loved it because Anime really hasn't done a serious mafia drama like did without shitting the bed or not being able to hold back their Anime tendencies. Gungrave could have been the golden child but apparently we didn't know about the source material where 2/3rds or 1/2 of the way through it turned into that supernatural zombie clusterfuck.

That one show what's his face kept pimping out like a year or two ago of the guy with the sword and the guy with the eye patch wasn't a mafia show either. It was an edgy battle Shonen that had a mafia theme to it, but a battle Shonen nonetheless.

Maybe I give more brownie points to shows when they attempt something relatively out of the box like this.

Was 91 days the best mafia story I've ever seen? Hell no. Not even close. It's cheesy and it has issues with logic, but at the very least I appreciate the effort and I enjoyed it.

Would I recommend it to people? Unless they're turned off by Anime as a whole but still want a drama in Anime form, I guess I'd recommend it then. But I still loved it. It had its issues, but it gets more hate here than I expected when it isn't an offensive show.

I think ultimately I'll keep recommending black lagoon as the crime seinen with western appeal that has the right amount of Anime.

And also Psycho Pass season 1 doesn't need to be freaking Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell, give it a break it was a fun dystopia cyberpunk show.

Jarmel

Banned
I recently saw a mafia movie and it reminded me a lot of 91 Days, to the point that I'm sure it was a source of inspiration. I'll wait till duckroll finishes though before discussing it.

Taruranto

Oh good, I guess I can move 91 Days off my on-hold list onto the dropped pile.

Ush, you are watching Bunga Bunga Stray Dogs :p, 91 Days has problems, but it's a masterpiece compared to it.

Hmm...duckroll's top 3 games of the year are all western-developed. I'd say that this calls his weeb credentials into question, but we all already knew he likes white man TV more than anime, lol.

I don't even bother voting GOTY personally, all my stuff are niche Japanese stuff anyway most of the time. "Fata Morgana? What the fuck is that?" The best story ever written in a videogame, that's what it is.

Narag

I tend to mention psycho pass because yall made me insecure about loving season 1... And buying the collectors edition Blu ray which looks #swaggy.

Is this general insecurity regarding your fandom why you overcompensate with the obnoxious forum personality that runs people out of the thread? It wasn't entirely clear to me until the AOTY thread where you were concerned what other anime communities would think of us (read: you).for letting people vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy but it's hard to engage you (and I've genuinely tried but when you do the woe is me thing on one extreme and the feigned overreaction to shows on the other, it's hard to do so.) I didn't even once consider PP while reading through what I thought was a cogent post on your behalf regarding mafia anime such that your mention of it felt like a non sequitur. I ended up unsure if you were taking the piss with the whole post with PP being the punchline or not.

Ush, you are watching Bunga Bunga Stray Dogs :p, 91 Days has problems, but it's a masterpiece compared to it.

If you have been reading my Bungo Stray Dogs impressions, you know how much I appreciate and value the strengths of its audiovisual direction, strengths that 91 Days does not appear to share.

Andrew J.

I don't even bother voting GOTY personally, all my stuff are niche Japanese stuff anyway most of the time. "Fata Morgana? What the fuck is that?" The best story ever written in a videogame, that's what it is.

That game got a lot of traction in the soundtrack voting thread, actually.

Dragon Maid 02

C2eCq8VUoAA0VuP.jpg
83UkQun.jpg

The magic of KyoAni is making this show look 100x better then it would with the studio it would have typically got.

Ascheroth

It made #18 on the SteamGAF GOTY. With the highest average points out of all voted games (4.71 out of 5).

Taruranto

If you have been reading my Bungo Stray Dogs impressions, you know how much I appreciate and value the strengths of its audiovisual direction, strengths that 91 Days does not appear to share.

It's not particularly well animated, but most comments regarding the show story have been positive, so I'm not sure why the negativity.

Little Witch Academia 02

You know if this show just ends up being a series of magical misadventures at magic school while proving a girl not born a witch can become a great witch, I'm totally okay with that.

Also enjoy how Diana is now portrayed as someone incredibly skilled but overconfident rather than an outright bully whereas her friends are the actual bullies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is this general insecurity regarding your fandom why you overcompensate with the obnoxious forum personality that runs people out of the thread? It wasn't entirely clear to me until the AOTY thread where you were concerned what other anime communities would think of us (read: you).for letting people vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy but it's hard to engage you (and I've genuinely tried but when you do the woe is me thing on one extreme and the feigned overreaction to shows on the other, it's hard to do so.) I didn't even once consider PP while reading through what I thought was a cogent post on your behalf regarding mafia anime such that your mention of it felt like a non sequitur. I ended up unsure if you were taking the piss with the whole post with PP being the punchline or not.

tumblr_lqnuszbptL1qcrr8ao1_500.gif

Puruzi

Banned

giphy.gif

?

If I've offended you I apologize, but Im just poking fun most of the time. If you want to have a serious discussion of 91 Days or another show we can, I just don't tend to get heavily invested in these shows. I'm aware psycho pass has genuine issues that some in here have and they're all valid. I just watched it on a superficial level and was entertained with it. With 91 days it's a similar situation, only I'm likely willing to defend it more as I think it does get unnecessary flak that might be ignored in other similar shows.

As to running people out of the forum who have I forced out? I don't tend to antagonize people. If they dislike me that's another thing, some who left made it clear but I'm one poster in a community, if they want to post here they shouldn't stop because of me.

duckroll

uQsMUnj.gif

We can take it to PM if you want Narag, no need to make a spectacle here. I like you, and didn't realize you had a problem with me but hey if it's something we can work out I'm willing to give it a shot.

Mendrox

Really? Honey and Clover was so boring and quite a drag. I can not recomment 3 gatsu. What I can recommend is Trickster.

I cannot take your opinion seriously if you recommend Trickster.

So I will watch 3-gatsu no lion.

And yes Honey and Clover was a bit boring and a bit of a drag, but that was the intention for some story lines. :p Still a masterpiece for me (Soundtrack, art style, story was a bit strange at the end, but had good character arcs).

Edit: I really should look closer who posted. Of course it's DTL with a post like this lol.,

Jarmel

Banned
Little Witch Academia 02

Also enjoy how Diana is now portrayed as someone incredibly skilled but overconfident rather than an outright bully whereas her friends are the actual bullies.
I just had a thought about this in that Diana and her groupies are now closer to something like Steve and his friends from Stranger Things in that Diana isn't outright hostile to Akko. Previously from the OVAs, I felt a Malfoy comparison was more apt.

This is something that will be quite interesting to compare once the TV series is done in that the writer/director are doing recalibrations for the TV series, possibly to let there be more growth over the course of the episodes. For example Akko being bullied as heavily as she is, allows the audience to connect and emphasize with her more compared to the OVAs. Also by playing up her ineptitude the show can more emphasize her growth skill-wise as a witch.

Narag

?
As to running people out of the forum who have I forced out? I don't tend to antagonize people. If they dislike me that's another thing, some who left made it clear but I'm one poster in a community, if they want to post here they shouldn't stop because of me.

You should check post counts as when one starts topping charts, they're no longer just one person in the community but a domineering fixture one has to leave behind in order to actually avoid. I have little problem with you personally but it's beyond infuriating when a persona takes over and runs people or due to how prolific they are. We had this issue when Cajun was like 10% of any given thread and quick to shut down discussion behind the disingenuous mantra of fun things are fun.

I actually just asked a few ex-posters to offer their input but they politely declined as they feel it'd be shit posting to voice a concern over a community they no longer consider themselves a part of. That's sad but if they have no interest in returning, that's a concluded matter and for me to let go.

I don't want you to think I want anyone to run anyone out either asI love new blood that can handle the ever changing community. However it's really not so much to ask you to drop the self-loathing fan act. If you can't, having the common decency to be too embarrassed to talk about your fandom here would also be appreciated.

phaze

Can anybody recommend 3-gatsu no lion?

Honey and Clover changed my life back then. Really excited about this series, but haven't heard much or I just wasn't interested in it.

I can. It's one of the better depictions of depression imo (really I struggle to think of better one on the spot) and it mixes it with a shogi sport bits and heartwarming SoL/comedy parts in a way that I would say manages to mostly negate some potentially bad things that could stem from either of those parts. There are plenty of overbearing, lifted straight from the manga inner monologue and sometimes a discord in the mix of serious and funny but only the latter bothers me to a degree. Not much in a way of animation but art direction, direction, backgrounds are all pretty good. Hashimoto is doing some godly piano things in the OST too.

91 Days - Episode 7

Ha ha ha what...

91 Days - Episode 8

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what.

This show... this show.....

That was
Fango's departure
ep right ? Glad somebody else has similar reaction.

duckroll

91 Days spoilers

That was
Fango's departure
ep right ? Glad somebody else has similar reaction.

Episode 7 was the one where Ronaldo and Frate got Avilitrolled. By the end of the episode as Fio was getting on the train all I could think of was "Girl you were trying to stop your family from killing each other but you see pretty okay with not only killing your own husband but also letting your brother kill another brother too. What the hell happned hahahaha."

Episode 8 was the most Fango of Fangos. I guess you can say that it RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULED. Lol. I already miss the dude. He totally made the show because whenever he showed up I knew there was going to be ~entertainment~. Lulz.

phaze

91 Days spoilers

Episode 7 was the one where Ronaldo and Frate got Avilitrolled. By the end of the episode as Fio was getting on the train all I could think of was "Girl you were trying to stop your family from killing each other but you see pretty okay with not only killing your own husband but also letting your brother kill another brother too. What the hell happned hahahaha."

Episode 8 was the most Fango of Fangos. I guess you can say that it RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULED. Lol. I already miss the dude. He totally made the show because whenever he showed up I knew there was going to be ~entertainment~. Lulz.

Yes, the internal politics of those mob families or all things Fango were some of my main script sticklers. I will say though that the penultimate ep is pretty good.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You should check post counts as when one starts topping charts, they're no longer just one person in the community but a domineering fixture one has to leave behind in order to actually avoid. I have little problem with you personally but it's beyond infuriating when a persona takes over and runs people or due to how prolific they are. We had this issue when Cajun was like 10% of any given thread and quick to shut down discussion behind the disingenuous mantra of fun things are fun.

I actually just asked a few ex-posters to offer their input but they politely declined as they feel it'd be shit posting to voice a concern over a community they no longer consider themselves a part of. That's sad but if they have no interest in returning, that's a concluded matter and for me to let go.

I don't want you to think I want anyone to run anyone out either asI love new blood that can handle the ever changing community. However it's really not so much to ask you to drop the self-loathing fan act. If you can't, having the common decency to be too embarrassed to talk about your fandom here would also be appreciated.

Let's be fair. We've all had a share of crazy personalities in this thread where certain people did not like each other and others acted like pompous assholes throughout at all times. This isn't just one instance.

Narag

^speaking of people shutting down discussion
Let's be fair. We've all had a share of crazy personalities in this thread where certain people did not like each other and others acted like pompous assholes throughout at all times. This isn't just one instance.

Line those people up and I'll address them too.

phaze

I'm at work so what's worth watching this season?

I have Gabriel and monster girl thing.

Rakugo
Little Witch Academy

I still have faith in ACCA but it's a pretty dry in technically unimpressive show so far. You might also try Scum's Wish for a different than usual depiction of HS relationships and lewd.

Cornbread78

I'm at work so what's worth watching this season?

I have Gabriel and monster girl thing.

Konosuba S2
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Fuuko
Scum's Wish
Seiren
Interviews with Monster Girls (you've got that covered)
Tales of Zestiria the X
March comes in like a lion
Twin Star Exorcists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom