• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should check post counts as when one starts topping charts, they're no longer just one person in the community but a domineering fixture one has to leave behind in order to actually avoid. I have little problem with you personally but it's beyond infuriating when a persona takes over and runs people or due to how prolific they are. We had this issue when Cajun was like 10% of any given thread and quick to shut down discussion behind the disingenuous mantra of fun things are fun.

I actually just asked a few ex-posters to offer their input but they politely declined as they feel it'd be shit posting to voice a concern over a community they no longer consider themselves a part of. That's sad but if they have no interest in returning, that's a concluded matter and for me to let go.

I don't want you to think I want anyone to run anyone out either asI love new blood that can handle the ever changing community. However it's really not so much to ask you to drop the self-loathing fan act. If you can't, having the common decency to be too embarrassed to talk about your fandom here would also be appreciated.

It's clearly no secret I have insecurities with watching anime. There's still a social stigma based on ignorance attached to it that for the most part isn't no longer present with sci-fi, fantasy, and western comics. More and more people are outing themselves as fans of these and proudly stating themselves as fans of these properties. Anime unfortunately hasn't reached this because no matter how often an animated film makes it to nominee status in say the academy awards, people will continue to equate anime with certain ideas in their head. Even on GAF with the moderation taking a stand we still have people who see an anime avatar and attempt to disregard anything and everything they say by equating it to "oh of course it had to be an anime avatar who said X or Y". And this is seen around the internet. I'm not ashamed to watch anime as people in my social circles still know I enjoy it and come for recommendations and I try to tailor said rec to what I think they'd enjoy. I thought it'd be clear after what? 5-6 years posting in this community that I am a fan of anime and will always be. I just like to kid around more than I post serious discussions because, as I've mentioned once before, I don't have the confidence I can bring a level of analysis to these shows similar to dimb, wonzo, jexhius, jarmel, or any of the other guys who actually know their shit and can put it much more eloquently.

Listen, if it's a matter of me dropping or toning down my insecurities from my posts, I can certainly try. I've tried posting less than when Cajun was here because lo and behold I realize I was flooding the thread. I'm still usually within the top 10 but I guess that deals with my priorities. When I'm bored and not exercising or playing a game I like coming here because anime is arguably the most TV that I watch and the community is fairly active.

I'm glad to hear you don't have personally a problem with me. And if any of the other guys that left one of the reasons they left for some reason was me, then please let them know I'm willing to work out whatever problems they have with me. I enjoy reading their analysis of shows, and while I realized some disliked me I thought it was just a toxic attitude based off my bad jokes. I never intended to drive out anybody with my insecurities.

If they want to ask something of me to work on and it isn't just "please leave so I can come back" then I'm game. I never disliked any of them and appreciated their posts on GAF.

Cornbread78

Like clockwork.

Umm, excuse me, I was third in line thank you very much.....

hBpeHm1.jpg

The war on Key never ends. We must be ever vigilant.
So long as these threads still have posters in them, making fun of Clannad will never die.
What I want to know now is, can we still make fun of Clannad?

ZUNvgL2.jpg

Clannad was the one of the first anime I watched and led me to appreciate
slice of life with a little of romance. Clannad afterstory was really sad though
so I can't watch that again.

duckroll

I honestly cannot tell if Cat and Dog are seriously having a beef over some underlying AnimeGAF drama, or if they're just taking the rest of us for a ride by carrying on some charade.... like seriously...

Let's be fair. We've all had a share of crazy personalities in this thread where certain people did not like each other and others acted like pompous assholes throughout at all times. This isn't just one instance.

I think sometimes we may be like that without knowing it. I don't believe there is any malicious intent behind it. That said, it's important to bring up every once in a while to be sure one person isn't driving out discussion or members of the community.

cUvL46H.gif

ms7oK4d.gif

Don't worry be happy....

hrbtuYQ.jpg

You win purely for using an Angel Beats gif!

^speaking of people shutting down discussion

Line those people up and I'll address them too.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

What I want to know now is, can we still make fun of Clannad?

You do you.

The war on Key never ends. We must be ever vigilant.

Why do you do this to me, duckie?

Aki-at

I'm at work so what's worth watching this season?

I have Gabriel and monster girl thing.

Little Witch Acadamia seems like a delightful little show so far.

ACCA has potential but so far there is a whole lot of talking with no proper direction in where the show is heading.

I also second Cornbread's Fuuko recommendation, not because I liked the show, but I want to see your reaction to the unfolding plot hehehe.

I honestly cannot tell if Cat and Dog are seriously having a beef over some underlying AnimeGAF drama, or if they're just taking the rest of us for a ride by carrying on some charade.... like seriously...

For once I'm being completely serious. I don't want drama, I want everybody to talk about anime here so if it means that I need to work on something so they feel better about coming back then I can do as much. I have fun in this community, didn't realize others stopped because of my posts.

It's not particularly well animated, but most comments regarding the show story have been positive, so I'm not sure why the negativity.

By "audiovisual direction," I don't mean just or even primarily being well animated, but how all the little components - framing, colors, photography and composite, art design, music, sound effects, voice acting - come together to create a work with a strongly felt artistic vision that communicates emotions and themes. For all that Bungo Stray Dogs can fall into excess with some of its decisions, for the large part I feel it is successful at doing that.

91 Days, from the impressions of people here and elsewhere, does not appear to have the kind of storytelling I want. Comparisons to Code Geass and Death Note do not encourage me to watch it.

For once I'm being completely serious. I don't want drama, I want everybody to talk about anime here so if it means that I need to work on something so they feel better about coming back then I can do as much. I have fun in this community, didn't realize others stopped because of my posts.
Honestly Admiral, just give others opinions less importance since recently your insecurity about what others think did seem to come out more.

Other then that you are a fun posters, so don't stop posting.

Wanderer5

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc #2

Bon's mom reacting to his hair and the interaction between Rin and Tatsuma delivered. Bit of a slowburner for now, but the arc will pick up.

Also I just notice that Kazue Kato was apparently inspired by The Brothers Grimm movie in 2005 when working on the two brothers fighting monsters angle heh.

Little Witch Academia TV #2

This episode was interesting in regards to Diana and Ursula. It is a bit amusing that Ursula is a klutz now, but it nice that they are expanding on the personal interest for Akko with her.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I've only had a problem with a few posters on here and they don't even post in this thread anymore cuz they're gone or banned lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I miss Hitokage. :(

I do too. I will forever wear this tag in remembrance of him.

If you've got a problem with us Brits just say it.

Nah. Yall did that to yourself with Brexit lmao.

I think sometimes we may be like that without knowing it. I don't believe there is any malicious intent behind it. That said, it's important to bring up every once in a while to be sure one person isn't driving out discussion or members of the community.

lmao. should've been on this thread years ago when i was active.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We had this issue when Cajun was like 10% of any given thread and quick to shut down discussion behind the disingenuous mantra of fun things are fun.

I just had a flashback of the art cajun spent a lot of money for at a convention.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I would like to see an AnimeGAF graveyard where it shows all the banned posters in a tombstone style pic.

blurr

I totally get what Narag is getting at, I see this in some other groups(on IMs) I've been but I haven't been here that long to take notice.

I don't really bother calling out people like that but if it's detrimental to the community, that's another thing although I haven't felt so compelled to do that so far. People who can engage and contribute to thoughtful discussions are hard to come by for sure, I have my outlets to turn back to(one of which is this place) when one shuts down so I haven't really felt so strongly. Perhaps Narag values the community here way more than I do any other group.

General stigma is there in my friends circles too, while there are fans too, some make it worse, I simply don't indulge in their attempts. I can't say I can bring myself to discourage them, to each his own ultimately, nor do I *always* find myself knowledgable or mentally capable enough to assess something my friends indulge in at least without taking my time. A point of reference for me is this place, twitter and sakugablog if I ever have to make a comment.

Aki-at

All these cool nendoroids, if I was rich I'd buy them all!

Even being rich ain't the problem, trying to fit them somewhere in your house and away from children is by far a lot harder. My poor Godzilla figure ;_;

I've only had a problem with a few posters on here and they don't even post in this thread anymore cuz they're gone or banned lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Hang in there, If you wait long enough that person you hate will eventually get banned. GANBARE!

Rakugo
Little Witch Academy

I still have faith in ACCA but it's a pretty dry in technically unimpressive show so far. You might also try Scum's Wish for a different than usual depiction of HS relationships and lewd.

NO idea what rakugo is what's that?

Konosuba S2
Blue Exorcist S2
Rakugo S2
Masamune-kun's Revenge
Fuuko
Scum's Wish
Seiren
Interviews with Monster Girls (you've got that covered)
Tales of Zestiria the X
March comes in like a lion
Twin Star Exorcists

Think I saw some scum and liked the impressions.
Need more details on March, Seiten and twins.

LWA, Maid Dragon, and Akiba's Trip

Oh right, I'm also watching maid sragon

Tales of Zestiria the X
élDLIVE
Blue exorcist season 2
Akiba's trip
Gundam Iron blooded orphans
Twin star exorcist

Are all super worth it!

Eldive?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Even being rich ain't the problem, trying to fit them somewhere in your house and away from children is by far a lot harder. My poor Godzilla figure ;_;

Or trying to keep all the extra parts from getting lost. I had items just fall off the hands and the occasional arm fall off.

Seriously, I remember when magical girl shows dominated discussion in this thread. It was practically on every page. If it wasn't Precure, it was Doremi. If it wasn't Sailor Moon, it was Pretty Sammy.

And Hito was always one of the big ones in terms of discussion on those shows. He had some of the most informative and well-thought-out posts on every one he watched.

Regardless of how my tastes differed from him (He DESPISED Nanoha, which I love), I really admired the passion he had, and enjoyed everything he had to say. He seemed to love posting here, not just for fun and memes, but for indulging others in a medium many adult men would normally avoid, and showed us the wonders that were inside it.

Now...he can't do that anymore. :(

What the fuck is going on. I feel like there's some AnimeGAF civil war I missed or something.

I'm going to agree with you. I don't know from where the beef comes from? These two comments, which seems to be the root of it, seems pretty normal to me, typical "very informal discussion about media and opinions in an Internet forum", including the gratuitous hashtag.

dog said:
I think ultimately I'll keep recommending black lagoon as the crime seinen with western appeal that has the right amount of Anime.

And also Psycho Pass season 1 doesn't need to be freaking Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell, give it a break it was a fun dystopia cyberpunk show.

doge said:
I tend to mention psycho pass because yall made me insecure about loving season 1... And buying the collectors edition Blu ray which looks #swaggy.

Cornbread78

Need more details on March, Seiten and twins.

3-gatsu:
Rei Kiriyama is a 17-year-old boy who recently started living alone, financed by his salary as a professional Shogi player. Despite his independence, however, he's yet to mature emotionally, and his problems continue to haunt him in his daily life. His relationship with his adoptive family is strained, and he has difficulties interacting with his fellow high school students. Meanwhile, his professional career has entered a slump. Burdened with the heavy expectations placed on him as the fifth to become pro in middle school, his wins and losses are fluctuating as his record and progression into the ranks begin to stagnate. Acquainted with Rei are the three Kawamoto sisters: Akari, Hinata, and Momo. Unlike Rei, they live happily in their modest home, which they warmly welcome Rei into as if he were one of their own. Despite his reservations about becoming too close to the family, he frequently visits, interacting with them and receiving the kind of care and affection he never quite had while under his foster home. This is the story of Rei's triumphs and failures, relationships new and old, and his growth as a person.

Twin Star Exorcists
Grotesque monsters known as Impurities reside in Magano, a realm parallel to the present day. Exorcists purify these evil apparitions to protect the people. Rokuro Enmado is opposed to becoming an exorcist, even though he has the talent to be one, but an oracle gives him the title of "Twin Star Exorcist," the name bestowed upon married exorcists. Benio Adashino, the girl who receives the title along with Rokuro, is determined to exorcise all the Kegare, or Impurities, in the world. The two find themselves wrapped up in more and more battles together as the Twin Star Exorcists...

Seiren
Shoichi Kamita is an ordinary high school boy, who is faced with the university entrance exam and worried about his future. This campus romantic comedy, "Seiren", which means honest in Japanese, depicts his pure relationship with three different heroines. Each story is the unique and mutual memory between him and the heroine.
Basically Amagami SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom