• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

maoyuu maou yuusha - 01

I wish the author understood just how ruinous the cost of war was, back in the day. I'm just reminded of how horribly annoyed I get when I read the manga, and the other reminder, that if people expect the hero & demon queen's relationship to get any better, resembling the deliberate casting echoes of Kolo and Lawrence, it'll never happen. This is as far as it gets. The characters remain ciphers bound to their RPG roles. The story will never get more convincing.

No point in commenting on some of the more questionable decisions re: production, it's been beaten into the ground already. I didn't mind the more LN-conscious designs - here's a comparison chart if you were curious.

FwJHCl.jpg

The best parts of the episode all featured the female Sawashiro knight. In some better world MMY features not some stilted conversations about misguided applications of forum economy on medieval history, but instead, is about the entertaining adventures of a hot blond female knight and her bros, traveling the world, fighting monsters.

cajunator

Banned
I'll take one order of Wakamoto Circulation.

Hell yes. Best version. Legendary.

maoyuu maou yuusha - 01

I wish the author understood just how ruinous the cost of war was, back in the day. I'm just reminded of how horribly annoyed I get when I read the manga, and the other reminder, that if people expect the hero & demon queen's relationship to get any better, resembling the deliberate casting echoes of Kolo and Lawrence, it'll never happen. This is as far as it gets. The characters remain ciphers bound to their RPG roles. The story will never get more convincing.

No point in commenting on some of the more questionable decisions re: production, it's been beaten into the ground already. I didn't mind the more LN-conscious designs - here's a comparison chart if you were curious.

FwJHCl.jpg

The best parts of the episode all featured the female Sawashiro knight. In some better world MMY features not some stilted conversations about misguided applications of forum economy on medieval history, but instead, is about the entertaining adventures of a hot blond female knight and her bros, traveling the world, fighting monsters.

Second group looks the best.

maoyuu maou yuusha - 01

Didn't know that the other designs look a lot better than the anime's for the two main characters.

Definitely like the first two designs, with the last two designs before the anime's after that.

Dresden

Oreshura - 01

I don't know why but I see every shitty harem lead as a Kirito expy now. Damn you Kawahara.

oDPxsl.jpg

Behold, Kidota.

Watched like six minutes before bailing out. Kamei mailing it in.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Shin Seikai Yori 14

Direction-wise this felt pretty standard even with Yamauchi story-boarding it, guess this is what happens when he doesn't handle the direction too. Some of the revelations and plot developments had me awe-struck though, everything seems to be coming together really well, and I'm eager to see what they have coming next.
what was up with that last shot of maria? :eek:

I do have a small concern about the future direction of the series, judging from the preview it looks like things are going get
action-packed
here's hoping they don't screw it up from a editing and direction perspective like they did with 5-7.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun / My Little Monsters (13 - FINALE)

I enjoyed the finale, but it's strange like most of the series it was relatively entertaining but it had this feeling of emptiness by the time you are finished with it. A bit of a shame, because the show at it's best had the perfect mix of tone, direction and art style for a shoujo romcom like this, the biggest problem with it all is it lacked any form of emotional resonance for any of the characters, even after 13 episodes I found it hard to get invested in any of the characters on a personal emotional level, despite the fact I greatly enjoyed their humorous interactions on a daily basis, this is definitely something that last years Ano Natsu de Matteru did far better than this. Which as it stands is still the best animu romcom of last-year!

Syrinx

You ever get real hungry and then get yourself a big dinner, scarf it down to quickly and feel like crap afterward? I got that right now.

Probably gonna focus on anime the rest of the night. I feel pretty comfortable leaving the Vikings-Packers game aside, seeing as how Joe Webb has set his sights on putting up the most laughably bad performance ever.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 31 aka Luna's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

Luna strays into bad cat territory and gets cornered. Tuxedo mas- errr...some fat cat named Rhett Butler throws a fishbone in their path distracting them (this was awesome by the way) and escapes with Luna. Meanwhile Zoicite thinks he has found the next crystal in the
little girl who owns the cat
. He corners her in an alleyway
but the cat escapes, and Zoicite realizes the girl isnt the one with the crystal, Rhett Butler is
. The senshi try to stop Zoicite, but foolishly try to use their powers in narrow confines. That cant be a great idea.
Rhett and Luna escape down a manhole cover into the sewer. Zioicite follows but is soon surrounded by rats. The pack of rats chases Zoicite, Rhett and Luna out of the sewer. Zoicite uses this opportunity to turn Rhett into a youma, but Tuxedo Kamen (the real one) steals the crystal away
. Sailor Mars arrives and later Sailor Mercury and Sailor moon join her to finish the job and return
Rhett
to normal.

I don't really know if I should bother spoiler tagging some of that. how important is it really? But just to be safe I guess.

Little Busters! 13
tumblr_mg5wgqbbNz1r3gmivo4_500.png

Lovely flashback for Riki and co, otherwise almost got emotional.
I thought nishizono san was gonna go off herself in the ocean or something talking about shes wishes she met them earlier, already had decided, dont never forget her, and going to the end, even more when the no shadows was introduced. If these people are gone and leae Riki and us sad breaking up Little Busters :(

Narag

I don't really know if I should bother spoiler tagging some of that. how important is it really? But just to be safe I guess.

Always worth preserving a gag for others, I'd think. That ep was something special.

imngDKcZUxuQG.gif

wonzo

Banned
Anime/Game Studio Gonzo Posts Higher Earnings, Profit

Animation studio Gonzo (Full Metal Panic!, Black Cat) announced on Wednesday that it earned 431 million yen (about US$4,947,000) in the April-September 2012 period. It also noted that these earnings are 17% higher than its earnings from the same period a year ago. Its preliminary projection for net profit is 72 million yen (US$820,000), compared to a net loss of 42 million yen (US$550,000) in the same period the year before.

Gonzo has not only been producing anime, but they have also been doing practical business with properties they already own. These efforts have been focusing on the Internet, with the company licensing its properties for online streaming, video games, and toys. Gonzo also established a subsidiary of the company in Okinawa in 2012. The company is currently focusing on more business overseas in other parts of Asia, particularly in China.

Source: animeanime.biz

finally, the glass fleet mmo we've all been waiting for

mAcOdIn

Yeah, concerning maoyuu maou yuusha, the knight girl's the only good thing about the show and she had like 15 seconds of screen time.

Second coming of Spice and Wolf this is not.

Oh and fucking jormungand! Fucking shit ass ending. All they needed to do just to hit like a 5 out of 10 was show Koko
pushing the fucking button! That's it! Now, since it ended as she was about to press the button for all we know it may not get activated. Of course we're to assume it did because of how Jonah talks but, seriously, why not just animate another 2 seconds and show her actually pushing the fucking button? Not since Bento have I found skipping a main climax so insulting but this is worse because of the total lack of effort it'd take to show her pushing a fucking button as opposed to drawing an exciting fight.

Syrinx

Luna strays into bad cat territory and gets cornered. Tuxedo mas- errr...some fat cat named Rhett Butler throws a fishbone in their path distracting them (this was awesome by the way) and escapes with Luna. Meanwhile Zoicite thinks he has found the next crystal in the
little girl who owns the cat
. He corners her in an alleyway
but the cat escapes, and Zoicite realizes the girl isnt the one with the crystal, Rhett Butler is
. The senshi try to stop Zoicite, but foolishly try to use their powers in narrow confines. That cant be a great idea.
Rhett and Luna escape down a manhole cover into the sewer. Zioicite follows but is soon surrounded by rats. The pack of rats chases Zoicite, Rhett and Luna out of the sewer. Zoicite uses this opportunity to turn Rhett into a youma, but Tuxedo Kamen (the real one) steals the crystal away
. Sailor Mars arrives and later Sailor Mercury and Sailor moon join her to finish the job and return
Rhett
to normal.

I spoiler tag everything. Also, Narag's gif is amazing. You'll love Artemis. And watching my brother masturbate would be better than watching Joe Webb playing whatever the fuck he's playing.

Decided to start K-ON!

Narag

Gintama 55

About fucking died laughing when the text message was revealed to be about
puppies.
Fantastic bait & switch with the Hachiro photograph and the actual identity of the son. Doubly so with the fake Hachiro's real identity.
lmao

After the credits was just bizarre.

Syrinx

K-ON! 1

Hmm. Good at least to see Mio has good taste in guitarists and jammed the fuck out to Zeppelin before. And I can definitely appreciate anybody whose hobbies include laying around and rolling around on the floor, so good on you Yui. And I don't know. I thought Mio, Ritsu, and Tsumugi had good chemistry.

I bet any of these girls would play better quarterback than Joe Webb.

cajunator

Banned
K-ON! 1

Hmm. Good at least to see Mio has good taste in guitarists and jammed the fuck out to Zeppelin before. And I can definitely appreciate anybody whose hobbies include laying around and rolling around on the floor, so good on you Yui. And I don't know. I thought Mio, Ritsu, and Tsumugi had good chemistry.

I bet any of these girls would play better quarterback than Joe Webb.

Excellent choice. K-On is one of the most well animated shows you are likely to find. no exaggerations here. It is really that good. Its entertaining, uplifting, and CUTE AS FUCK. You will love it.

I think Ritsu would be a better QB than Joe Webb. Yui would make better decisions.

Syrinx

Excellent choice. K-On is one of the most well animated shows you are likely to find. no exaggerations here. It is really that good. Its entertaining, uplifting, and CUTE AS FUCK. You will love it.

I think Ritsu would be a better QB than Joe Webb. Yui would make better decisions.

You're only on, like, episode 6, right? Or are you on the second season?

Articalys

So we don't have the full list yet, but here's some of the numbers from the weekly sales rankings for December 24-30. All splits are BD/DVD, and as always, first volumes are bolded:

Sword Art Online vol. 3 -- 25,550 / 6,172
Little Busters! vol. 1 -- 8,358 / 1,757
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb vol. 1 -- 7,306 / 1,610
Hyouka vol. 7 -- 6,969 / 1,045
Accel World vol. 6 -- 6,148 / 1,413
Dog Days' vol. 4 -- 5,227 / 1,833
Aquarion Evol vol. 9 -- 3,992 / 1,206
Kamisama Hajimemashita vol. 1 -- 3,155 DVD

No data yet on Busou Shinki, OniAi, or Sukitte Ii na yo, and note that KamiKiss's total sales might be higher once the extended BD list comes in. Looking at the predictions, they should all get some numbers except for Sukitte, which is definitely going to crater hard.

Thus, these are the current known temporal BD+DVD rankings for Fall:

14,458 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
13,550 Girls und Panzer
11,723 Gintama' Enchousen
10,214 To LOVE-Ru Darkness
10,115 Little Busters
*8,916 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
*7,503 K
*5,659 Psycho-Pass
*3,155 Kamisama Hajimemashita
*2,494 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
*2,392 Jormungand Perfect Order
*1,759 Ixion Saga DT

No sales data (numbers too low for weekly lists):

**,*** BTOOOM!
**,*** Shinsekai Yori
**,*** Code:Breaker
**,*** Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
**,*** Initial D 5th Stage

wonzo

Banned
little busters! 13

lb13.jpg

Okay, so the episode starts off with everyone except Naoe forgetting that Mio Nishizono exists. Naoe finds Mio sitting where she always does and she starts to talk about how she's going to go to the beginning of the end and gives Naoe her favourite book. Naoe decides to come along with her to the beach where she meets her twin sister(?) "Midori" who's pretty upbeat and outward going, unlike the quiet and reserved "Mio". It is revealed that Mio carries around a parasol because
she has no shadow. Not long after discovering this, Naoe faints and is brought back to the dorm.

When asked about why he was at the beach, he can't remember. Things continue as normal over the next few days but he feels like he's forgetting someone. It's not until he discovers her book that he suddenly remembers her. He suddenly asks where Nishizono is and eventually finds out that "Mio" hadn't disappeared at all but now has the personality of "Midori". When question the others what happened to "Midori" they have no clue what he's talking about and assure him that "Mio" has always been like this.

Naoe is later confronted by "Midori" at the same tree that "Mio" use to sit and feed birds under. "Midori" tells Naoe that he's the only one that can tell the difference between the two. Naoe demands that "Midori" tell him where "Mio" is and what she did to her. "Midori" tells Naoe that she is "Mio's" missing shadow and reveals that she now doesn't have a shadow either unlike earlier but doesn't care as no-one notices. "Midori" then steals the book and tells Naoe that he'll never remember Mio again without it. She starts to tear the book in half before stopping as she realises that he'll forget about "Mio" regardless and gives him the book back.
And scene.

i
just
dont
even
know
where
the
fuck
to
begin
what
the
fuck
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So we don't have the full list yet, but here's some of the numbers from the weekly sales rankings for December 24-30. All splits are BD/DVD, and as always, first volumes are bolded:

Little Busters! vol. 1 -- 8,358 / 1,757
aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

cjkeats

Started watching Kanon tonight, and just finished episode 5. I think I have it figured out.
Gonna spoiler tag in case I'm actually right and not just insane.

"Uguu" girl is
dead and most likely a ghost. She sprouts angel wings in the OP. That's kind of a give away, and she mentioned how she's the same age but it still piratically a child. She also has some connection to Asuka-wannabe Makoto. I'm betting sister, because of the similar appearance, the way she gets all uneasy around her and "auuu" is just another "uguu"

The interactions between Makoto and Yuuichi are probably the best part of the show so far. Yuuichi is an admirable asshole.

Sword-girl is
the equivalent to the kid in sixth sense, which is why she seems to know something is up with Makoto.

Blanket-girl is most likely
also a dead girl. Although it would be strange to have two ghosts running around, but hey, it's an anime after all.

Those are my best theories. Please don't tell me if I'm right or wrong though for the sake of spoilers.

Syrinx

Since I'm bored-ish now, I'll post impressions on the Bebop episodes I've watched with my brother the last few days.

Cowboy Bebop 7

The Heavy Metal Queen was a pretty cool character, though I would have liked a more significant reveal of what her name was than what was given. I mean, the wife of a dead bounty hunter? Eh, could have handled it better.

Cowboy Bebop 8

Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the show so far. The relationship Spike developed with that pasty dude was pretty cool, and made all the more bittersweet at the end. "Did you see me master? I was fluid as water." Shit. Also, his sister was a cool, sweet gal. Noble reason for the dude to try to steal that stuff. Doesn't make it any less dumb trying, though.

Cowboy Bebop 9

A lonely satellite, eh? Carving animal friends in the Earth's crust. Kinda contrived, but I guess this sorta thing is fairly plausible in this universe. The scene with Jett trying to get information on EDWARD was pretty hilarious. "He's a seven-foot-tall, ex-basketball playing, Hindu, cross-dressing alien". I wish I was this talented a hacker when I was a kid. Hell, I wish I could do that shit now. Scene at the end was great too. "You know Jett, there's three things that I hate. Kids, animals, and girls with attitudes. So tell me, Jett: WHY DO WE HAVE ALL THREE OF THEM CONCENTRATED ON OUR SHIP?!" May change my avatar to Ein at some point, cause Ein is rad.

Cowboy Bebop 10

Easily the most emotional episode outside of 5. Scene with Jett visiting his ex at the pub and seeing the way she left him was tough. The scene at the end with him pursuing her boyfriend for his bounty and her pointing the gun at him was intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom