• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon son.
Eh

Yui is good, but she doesn't stand out as much as the others.

Ritsu
Sawa
Mio
Mugi
Azusa
Ui
Yui

Her scene when she was training alone with Gitah at the beginning of season 2 was great though. Ui goes above simply because she tried to fly under the radar as her own sis. That is just nuts lol.
Does anyone else find themselves falling into (enjoyable) re-watch patterns.

I've stated (many times) before that I love The Twelve Kingdoms and try to refrain from re-watching it too much but when I do, it's always as a set along with Seirei no Moribito, Erin, Saiunkoku Monogatari, etc... (I've probably done this about 5 times).

Thus when someone posted an image of the Gunbuster pose here recently, I knew it was going to happen. I've now watched Gunbuster, Diebuster, am working through Stelvia, and will probably work in some Stratos4 before ending with Gurren Lagann (and this will be my 4 iteration of this set).

I know one day I'll build up a war chest of anime for slice-of-life animes and a set of go-tos will naturally fall into place. I recognize this as peculiar behavior but I have a hard time fighting it because I always enjoy the experience immensely and each show feels fresh every time I do it.
I know the feeling. Bakemonogatari, Haruhi and Gintama have the mean deathgrip on my throat. I go back to those three a lot. Haruhi just has some strange pull that keeps bringing me back. I don't know... maybe I enjoy those tense moments when you feel the show could turn into anything(Nagato, Haruhi's powers on display or the setup for the movie in general).

Narag

Lookin' for a new one. I have avatar ADHD.

RoGL5.jpg

Syrinx

K-ON! 3

Damn, Yui, how do you get a fucking 2 on an exam. And on the first problem, she didn't even change the problem at all! She just switched the 5x and the 3y! I struggled in algebra in eighth grade too, but at least I did better than that! And how about instead of sending her messages of encouragement, you actually, y'know, HELP HER STUDY, seeing as how the future of your club is dependent on her passing! At least it provided a good excuse for Ritsu to send that derpy film of her ruining her table while eating chips.

Well, they eventually have to help her study, where they largely dick off, and Yui has some weird dream where they're in the arctic or some shit, and Ritsu's playing a game while braving the cold. At least Yui passes with 100%. Course then she forgets how to play guitar.

Does this band have a singer?

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 39

spacebros39.jpg

You sure did, Director. It's a shame
they pulled the drama stuff with Hibito on the moon but maybe that'll actually develop his character somewhat. I really should read the manga to see if they just fucked up his character development in this adaptation.
The final OP's pretty good but I can't say the same for the ED.

Rurouni Kenshin Movie

Wow, that turned out quite well. The mismash of story and characters worked to a point and the casting was good (kaoru was a bit too pretty for the role... maybe). Gotta love the little details in stances and especially the final fight.

ib22e8UpaRQJ8H.gif

ibeT9vIaIKBnzW.gif

Not entirely sure why kenshin flips around and rolls around on the ground so much though, I mean he talks like Yoda, doesn't mean he have to move like him!

I do want a 2nd movie... but I have no clue how they can do that without fucking something up.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Rurouni Kenshin Movie

Wow, that turned out quite well. The mismash of story and characters worked to a point and the casting was good (kaoru was a bit too pretty for the role... maybe). Gotta love the little details in stances and especially the final fight.

ib22e8UpaRQJ8H.gif

ibeT9vIaIKBnzW.gif

Not entirely sure why kenshin flips around and rolls around on the ground so much though, I mean he talks like Yoda, doesn't mean he have to move like him!

I do want a 2nd movie... but I have no clue how they can do that without fucking something up.

I just finished watching the Blu Ray as well. I found it highly enjoyable, and I like how instead of just doing one story after the other, they had them all going at the same time so as to better fit a movie format. The music was rather lackluster though. :(

Tokyo Encounter 14

This show must be something if it got its hands on a Vita.

So this week, Shimono Hiro is still here. We learned in Dungeon Explorer that being the elf doesn't mean you'll be a bishoujo and that in BIOHAZARD 5 Alternative Edition, the majinis are more threatening than facing your rivals.

Ghizz

Could anyone recommend me an anime series?

Several ones I've watched that I like:

Gundam (wing, 00, etc)
Bleach/Naruto (could'nt be bothered waiting so moved to manga)
Code Geass (loved it)
Guuren Langan (sp) (graphics was a bit meh, but still cool)
SAO (read it, let down by anime)

Yeah...thats about it. Mostly action, not really into the highschool girl/romance stuff :D

Gundam (wing, 00, etc)
Code Geass (loved it)

Yeah...thats about it. Mostly action, not really into the highschool girl/romance stuff :D

First of all, watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure which is airing now. 2nd, go to this thread I made. Third, watch Death Note.

Defuser

Gundam (wing, 00, etc)
Code Geass (loved it)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Accel World.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Gundam (wing, 00, etc)
Code Geass (loved it)

Shin Mazinger Z
K-ON

Dresden

jinrui - 06

Now that I'm done with Joshiraku, figured I should wrap this one up as well.

Quite a dull episode. Unremarkable stuff... at least the giant cat transformation livened it up for a few seconds.

iXSdbl.jpg

How does Jojo compare to the first series?

imo, I feel like nothing can top the Darby episode for awesomeness.

Worse animation, better editing, music and other stuff.

The series you're referring to covers part 3, while the current anime is covering parts 1 and 2. Part 2 can easily stand against part 3 in terms of swag and manliness. It's absolutely worth watching.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
jinrui - 06

Now that I'm done with Joshiraku, figured I should wrap this one up as well.

Quite a dull episode. Unremarkable stuff... at least the giant cat transformation livened it up for a few seconds.

That episode was probably the worst, but it's all very steeply up from here.

cajunator

Banned
So we don't have the full list yet, but here's some of the numbers from the weekly sales rankings for December 24-30. All splits are BD/DVD, and as always, first volumes are bolded:

Sword Art Online vol. 3 -- 25,550 / 6,172
Little Busters! vol. 1 -- 8,358 / 1,757
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb vol. 1 -- 7,306 / 1,610
Hyouka vol. 7 -- 6,969 / 1,045
Accel World vol. 6 -- 6,148 / 1,413
Dog Days' vol. 4 -- 5,227 / 1,833
Aquarion Evol vol. 9 -- 3,992 / 1,206
Kamisama Hajimemashita vol. 1 -- 3,155 DVD

No data yet on Busou Shinki, OniAi, or Sukitte Ii na yo, and note that KamiKiss's total sales might be higher once the extended BD list comes in. Looking at the predictions, they should all get some numbers except for Sukitte, which is definitely going to crater hard.

Thus, these are the current known temporal BD+DVD rankings for Fall:

14,458 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
13,550 Girls und Panzer
11,723 Gintama' Enchousen
10,214 To LOVE-Ru Darkness
10,115 Little Busters
*8,916 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
*7,503 K
*5,659 Psycho-Pass
*3,155 Kamisama Hajimemashita
*2,494 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
*2,392 Jormungand Perfect Order
*1,759 Ixion Saga DT

No sales data (numbers too low for weekly lists):

**,*** BTOOOM!
**,*** Shinsekai Yori
**,*** Code:Breaker
**,*** Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
**,*** Initial D 5th Stage

I hope this means more Hidamari Sketch :D
Also more Accel World and dog Days is welcome also.
WTF @ My Little monster? :(

Damn, K-ON!'s OP is snappy.

Yup its catchy. Unfortunately K-On 2's OP is too hyperactive, like chipmunks on speed. Not fond of it.

K-ON! 2

Damn, how come nobody told me there was a job where you just sat around and counted pedestrians? That would be cool. I would be a pedestrian counting beast! Kinda cool that they were doing it to help Yui buy a guitar. Official club business, I guess.

How come Mugi didn't get the idea to bargain with the clerk sooner, seeing as how she's the president's daughter? Speaking of bargaining, goddamn at Ritsu brutalizing that clerk. Even making the dude cry. She's probably banned from the store now. Whatevs, now Yui has an awesome guitar to play. Why does she think it's cute though? I'm assuming this Budokan is some major venue. She'd better get good quick then. She seems a little airheaded now, though. Not that that's a bad thing, but it can be detracting to a long-term goal.

Not sure who's my favorite so far. Mugi, maybe?

No Ritsu's not banned from that store lol. But she can often be a brat. Thats why I like her actually.

Does anyone else find themselves falling into (enjoyable) re-watch patterns.

I've stated (many times) before that I love The Twelve Kingdoms and try to refrain from re-watching it too much but when I do, it's always as a set along with Seirei no Moribito, Erin, Saiunkoku Monogatari, etc... (I've probably done this about 5 times).

Thus when someone posted an image of the Gunbuster pose here recently, I knew it was going to happen. I've now watched Gunbuster, Diebuster, am working through Stelvia, and will probably work in some Stratos4 before ending with Gurren Lagann (and this will be my 4 iteration of this set).

I know one day I'll build up a war chest of anime for slice-of-life animes and a set of go-tos will naturally fall into place. I recognize this as peculiar behavior but I have a hard time fighting it because I always enjoy the experience immensely and each show feels fresh every time I do it.

12 Kingdoms, Moribito, Story of Saiunkoku, Stellvia, Stratos 4, Gurren Lagann....You have GREAT tastes. Just wanted to let you know I love all of those. Hix also seemed to enjoy Stellvia a lot as well.

Eh

Yui is good, but she doesn't stand out as much as the others.

Ritsu
Sawa
Mio
Mugi
Azusa
Ui
Yui

Her scene when she was training alone with Gitah at the beginning of season 2 was great though. Ui goes above simply because she tried to fly under the radar as her own sis. That is just nuts lol.

I know the feeling. Bakemonogatari, Haruhi and Gintama have the mean deathgrip on my throat. I go back to those three a lot. Haruhi just has some strange pull that keeps bringing me back. I don't know... maybe I enjoy those tense moments when you feel the show could turn into anything(Nagato, Haruhi's powers on display or the setup for the movie in general).

I guess Im ok with this ranking. Way better than putting Ritsu last. Awful choice. Also, how do you rank Jun?

Any recommendations for slice-of-life anime?

Like K-On... maybe even like Lucky Star... I guess.

Chitanda, that is exactly how I felt when I watched SAO.

watch Sora no Woto!!

Shin Mazinger Z
K-ON

It always amazes me that you like K-On. It seems so un-pizzarollish.
but it is very high quality anime despite being a silly show about a light music club so I can see why you would find it to your standards.

Space Brothers 39

Damn, not the ending I was expecting from this show. I mean yeah, there's been cliffhangers before, but they never involved
actual danger.

Also, new OP is cool. That isn't a reference to Trip to the Moon, is it? I mean, it's not like a rocket crashing into the moon that way is uncommon, but that's what I thought of.

Girls und Panzer 8
A great episode. Enthusiasm gets in the way of clear-headed tactics and the girls und panzers are in quite the situation. I now understand why so many people like Katyusha and Nonna.
and in some cases, reeeeeeeealy love Katyusha
Oh ho ho ho~!
I wasn't really surprised by the whole revelation that
the Ooarai Girl's High School will be shut down if they don't win the tournament
, as they've been kinda hinting at something going down in the background with the student council. But I love the way the show always leaves you with something to make you want more. Show continues to impress me. Panzer Vor!

Articalys

Also, new OP is cool. That isn't a reference to Trip to the Moon, is it? I mean, it's not like a rocket crashing into the moon that way is uncommon, but that's what I thought of.
After watching the film itself, you're exactly right; in fact, not just the rocket crashing into the moon, but a large majority of the OP is directly referencing it, especially the part where it pans over the other characters, which is almost a perfect copy of the same poses from the old film. I had no idea you were a silent movie buff!

After watching the film itself, you're exactly right; in fact, not just the rocket crashing into the moon, but a large majority of the OP is directly referencing it, especially the part where it pans over the other characters, which is almost a perfect copy of the same poses from the old film. I had no idea you were a silent movie buff!

I'm not, it's just one of the few things I remember from my film class.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 61

These past few episodes have had some really nice animation in them, certainly higher than usual. Is it just me or did they never actually touch upon the Kite flashback in the beginning? I mean,
it'd be pretty awkward when this arc ends and they just dump the flashback right there.

Space Brothers 39

It's a reference to that which was based off of the very same book featured at the end of the OP.

Yup its catchy. Unfortunately K-On 2's OP is too hyperactive, like chipmunks on speed. Not fond of it.
If you liked the OP from the first season you will probably like the second OP from season 2. They're more similar than the first OP of season 2 is.

It always amazes me that you like K-On. It seems so un-pizzarollish.
but it is very high quality anime despite being a silly show about a light music club so I can see why you would find it to your standards.

pizzaroll has been pretty upfront about what they like about K-ON!!

Uchip

Banned
Somehow they managed to make that awful One Piece filler arc retroactively worse with the existence of the current one. Like it doesn't actually make any sense at all.

Steroyd

HxH 2011 61

These past few episodes have had some really nice animation in them, certainly higher than usual. Is it just me or did they never actually touch upon the Kite flashback in the beginning? I mean,
it'd be pretty awkward when this arc ends and they just dump the flashback right there.

No they didn't, they completely skipped that flashback at the beginning and rushed through to the start of finding the entrance to the hunter exam.

I'm expecting that flashback to be heavy handed as a consequence when it comes to that part.

Grzi

Cowboy Bebop 10

Easily the most emotional episode outside of 5. Scene with Jett visiting his ex at the pub and seeing the way she left him was tough. The scene at the end with him pursuing her boyfriend for his bounty and her pointing the gun at him was intense.

;____;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom