• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Started watching Kanon tonight, and just finished episode 5. I think I have it figured out.
Gonna spoiler tag in case I'm actually right and not just insane.

"Uguu" girl is
dead and most likely a ghost. She sprouts angel wings in the OP. That's kind of a give away, and she mentioned how she's the same age but it still piratically a child. She also has some connection to Asuka-wannabe Makoto. I'm betting sister, because of the similar appearance, the way she gets all uneasy around her and "auuu" is just another "uguu"

The interactions between Makoto and Yuuichi are probably the best part of the show so far. Yuuichi is an admirable asshole.

Sword-girl is
the equivalent to the kid in sixth sense, which is why she seems to know something is up with Makoto.

Blanket-girl is most likely
also a dead girl. Although it would be strange to have two ghosts running around, but hey, it's an anime after all.

Those are my best theories. Please don't tell me if I'm right or wrong though for the sake of spoilers.

Hahaha, oh boy you're going to love this.

wonzo

Banned
Started watching Kanon tonight, and just finished episode 5. I think I have it figured out.
Gonna spoiler tag in case I'm actually right and not just insane.

"Uguu" girl is
dead and most likely a ghost. She sprouts angel wings in the OP. That's kind of a give away, and she mentioned how she's the same age but it still piratically a child. She also has some connection to Asuka-wannabe Makoto. I'm betting sister, because of the similar appearance, the way she gets all uneasy around her and "auuu" is just another "uguu"

The interactions between Makoto and Yuuichi are probably the best part of the show so far. Yuuichi is an admirable asshole.

Sword-girl is
the equivalent to the kid in sixth sense, which is why she seems to know something is up with Makoto.

Blanket-girl is most likely
also a dead girl. Although it would be strange to have two ghosts running around, but hey, it's an anime after all.

Those are my best theories. Please don't tell me if I'm right or wrong though for the sake of spoilers.
is this kanon 2002 or the kyoani one? either way, welp

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So we don't have the full list yet, but here's some of the numbers from the weekly sales rankings for December 24-30. All splits are BD/DVD, and as always, first volumes are bolded:

Sword Art Online vol. 3 -- 25,550 / 6,172
Little Busters! vol. 1 -- 8,358 / 1,757
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb vol. 1 -- 7,306 / 1,610
Hyouka vol. 7 -- 6,969 / 1,045
Accel World vol. 6 -- 6,148 / 1,413
Dog Days' vol. 4 -- 5,227 / 1,833
Aquarion Evol vol. 9 -- 3,992 / 1,206
Kamisama Hajimemashita vol. 1 -- 3,155 DVD

No data yet on Busou Shinki, OniAi, or Sukitte Ii na yo, and note that KamiKiss's total sales might be higher once the extended BD list comes in. Looking at the predictions, they should all get some numbers except for Sukitte, which is definitely going to crater hard.

Thus, these are the current known temporal BD+DVD rankings for Fall:

14,458 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
13,550 Girls und Panzer
10,214 To LOVE-Ru Darkness
10,197 Gintama' Enchousen
10,115 Little Busters
*8,916 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
*7,503 K
*5,659 Psycho-Pass
*3,155 Kamisama Hajimemashita
*2,494 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
*2,392 Jormungand Perfect Order
*1,759 Ixion Saga DT

No sales data (numbers too low for weekly lists):

**,*** BTOOOM!
**,*** Shinsekai Yori
**,*** Code:Breaker
**,*** Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
**,*** Initial D 5th Stage

As always, appreciate the numbers! ^_^

Soma

Shinsekai Yori 13

damnit Maria why can't you use skis like a normal person?

this is unintentionally hilarious for these scenes

survivor

Banned
No data yet on Busou Shinki, OniAi, or Sukitte Ii na yo, and note that KamiKiss's total sales might be higher once the extended BD list comes in. Looking at the predictions, they should all get some numbers except for Sukitte, which is definitely going to crater hard.

Superior shoujo show of the season wins.

Ultimadrago

14,458 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
13,550 Girls und Panzer
10,214 To LOVE-Ru Darkness
10,197 Gintama' Enchousen
10,115 Little Busters
*8,916 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
*7,503 K
*5,659 Psycho-Pass
*2,392 Jormungand Perfect Order
*1,759 Ixion Saga DT

No sales data (numbers too low for weekly lists):

**,*** BTOOOM!
**,*** Shinsekai Yori
**,*** Code:Breaker
**,*** Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
**,*** Initial D 5th Stage

Niiice.

Articalys

Oh, apparently Kamisama Hajimemashita vol. 1 was discounted, so its numbers might drop for the next volumes.

Also, there were some DVD numbers for Gintama that bumped it into third place.

Also also, it's not a standard TV series release so it slipped through the cracks, but:

Hellsing OVA X -- 3,801 / 2,849

Don't tell me that you... man, resist to cave in on FATALPULSE 'NTR' provoking... impulses. It can be no good because there is no return from that dark side.
This goes specially for the recent ones... what the characters of Girls und Panzer did to deserve that? Oh, boy...
I can't resists those peaks.
Look at those eyes, she obviously likes it.

I don't think you can buy Nendoroids unpainted.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh, apparently Kamisama Hajimemashita vol. 1 was discounted, so its numbers might drop for the next volumes.

Are there really people out there who would buy the first volume just because it's cheaper with no intention of purchasing the rest? I guess anything is possible in a market where nearly $100 for 2-3 episodes is considered "normal" to begin with.

Syrinx

K-ON! 2

Damn, how come nobody told me there was a job where you just sat around and counted pedestrians? That would be cool. I would be a pedestrian counting beast! Kinda cool that they were doing it to help Yui buy a guitar. Official club business, I guess.

How come Mugi didn't get the idea to bargain with the clerk sooner, seeing as how she's the president's daughter? Speaking of bargaining, goddamn at Ritsu brutalizing that clerk. Even making the dude cry. She's probably banned from the store now. Whatevs, now Yui has an awesome guitar to play. Why does she think it's cute though? I'm assuming this Budokan is some major venue. She'd better get good quick then. She seems a little airheaded now, though. Not that that's a bad thing, but it can be detracting to a long-term goal.

Not sure who's my favorite so far. Mugi, maybe?

Articalys

Incidentally, for the rest of the Fall shows, it looks like Jojo and Magi are the only ones who are going to have semi-decent (at least 5k or so) sales.

cjkeats

Hahaha, oh boy you're going to love this.

The last time you told me this was when I was watching Madoka Magica and I'm still trying to recover from that.

is this kanon 2002 or the kyoani one? either way, welp

Kyoani.

I just finished episode 6. I think sword-girl may just be a Chuunibyou.
Turns out uguu is just underdeveloped. Still convinced
she's dead

Joe Molotov

JOJO 13

jojo13.jpg

without a doubt the single greatest line ever uttered.
rip you crazy nazi bastard.

I'm waiting to see what GG has to say about that.

Thoraxes

The last time you told me this was when I was watching Madoka Magica and I'm still trying to recover from that.

The only thing I can tell you without saying you're right or wrong is that your intuition is in a good direction, but still off the mark. Don't worry, it won't be any Madoka, but it does get pretty goofy at times auuuuuu

Syrinx

My impression was she's really shy about the class difference between her and the others.

Hmm. I guess. I suppose she never really brought it up as much as it was inferred, and she does want to get over her relatively sheltered lifestyle (never ate at a fast food restaurant, damn. I didn't know that was possible).

Narag

Hmm. I guess. I suppose she never really brought it up as much as it was inferred, and she does want to get over her relatively sheltered lifestyle (never ate at a fast food restaurant, damn. I didn't know that was possible).

There's other little hints like the china she brought from home and the long time piano lessons.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 13

Oh man, I missed this show last week. Amazing stuff. Thank you David Production and Araki for continuing to justify this as my #2 for 2012.

I really love how much content they're able to pack in one episode. On par with episode 3 in both battle length, variety and escalation. Sugita's excellent performance is icing on the cake. That scene
in the well
gave me shivers.

K-ON! 1

Hmm. Good at least to see Mio has good taste in guitarists and jammed the fuck out to Zeppelin before. And I can definitely appreciate anybody whose hobbies include laying around and rolling around on the floor, so good on you Yui. And I don't know. I thought Mio, Ritsu, and Tsumugi had good chemistry.

I bet any of these girls would play better quarterback than Joe Webb.
I'm glad you're giving it a shot. And you don't know how true your last statement is.
K-ON! 2

Damn, how come nobody told me there was a job where you just sat around and counted pedestrians? That would be cool. I would be a pedestrian counting beast! Kinda cool that they were doing it to help Yui buy a guitar. Official club business, I guess.

How come Mugi didn't get the idea to bargain with the clerk sooner, seeing as how she's the president's daughter? Speaking of bargaining, goddamn at Ritsu brutalizing that clerk. Even making the dude cry. She's probably banned from the store now. Whatevs, now Yui has an awesome guitar to play. Why does she think it's cute though? I'm assuming this Budokan is some major venue. She'd better get good quick then. She seems a little airheaded now, though. Not that that's a bad thing, but it can be detracting to a long-term goal.

Not sure who's my favorite so far. Mugi, maybe?
Mugi? It must be those eyebrows.
My impression was she's really shy about the class difference between her and the others.
I suppose she is in a way. She mostly just wants to be a regular middle class girl.
The manga she bargains for it right away. There is no part-time job in the manga

My order goes:

Azusa
Sawa

>>>>

Yui & Ui
Mugi
Mio
Ritsu

Your list, it's like, almost backwards!
At least you see that Mio is better than Ritsu.

Defuser

Ore Shura ep 1
Dat Jojo pose. First half is boring and time wasting but second half pick up when 2 faced girl entered the picture, dat nopan.

Does anyone else find themselves falling into (enjoyable) re-watch patterns.

I've stated (many times) before that I love The Twelve Kingdoms and try to refrain from re-watching it too much but when I do, it's always as a set along with Seirei no Moribito, Erin, Saiunkoku Monogatari, etc... (I've probably done this about 5 times).

Thus when someone posted an image of the Gunbuster pose here recently, I knew it was going to happen. I've now watched Gunbuster, Diebuster, am working through Stelvia, and will probably work in some Stratos4 before ending with Gurren Lagann (and this will be my 4 iteration of this set).

I know one day I'll build up a war chest of anime for slice-of-life animes and a set of go-tos will naturally fall into place. I recognize this as peculiar behavior but I have a hard time fighting it because I always enjoy the experience immensely and each show feels fresh every time I do it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Female Brown Shinji: The Secret of Blue Water 06

This week in Stuff Hideaki Anno Would Use in Evangelion 4 Years Later:
Tsunderes!
And thermal expansion!

This one was one of the best ones yet. The transition between guys who can barely stand each other to nakama slash soul mates was very well done. Best scene was
them running from the furnace before being crushed and slash or burned to bits
. My only question is what the hell happened to King? They seem to have forgot him as soon as the second act got going.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 40

folktales40.jpg

What fucked up god tells a dying single mother to put a Flowerpot on her only daughters head so that she can look after herself. This very same unremovable flowerpot that causes everyone to bully her to the point where she tries to commit suicide? I mean, things worked out in the end but what the fuck?

Thoraxes

Does anyone else find themselves falling into (enjoyable) re-watch patterns.

I've stated (many times) before that I love The Twelve Kingdoms and try to refrain from re-watching it too much but when I do, it's always as a set along with Seirei no Moribito, Erin, Saiunkoku Monogatari, etc... (I've probably done this about 5 times).

Thus when someone posted an image of the Gunbuster pose here recently, I knew it was going to happen. I've now watched Gunbuster, Diebuster, am working through Stelvia, and will probably work in some Stratos4 before ending with Gurren Lagann (and this will be my 4 iteration of this set).

I know one day I'll build up a war chest of anime for slice-of-life animes and a set of go-tos will naturally fall into place. I recognize this as peculiar behavior but I have a hard time fighting it because I always enjoy the experience immensely and each show feels fresh every time I do it.

I always find myself going back to watch TTGL and Katanagatari for some reason. I don't know why.

I always find myself going back to watch TTGL and Katanagatari for some reason. I don't know why.

Katanagatari is amazing. I don't make it a secret that I'm a soft-gutted wuss of the easily depressed variety so I find it to go back to series like these even though I enjoyed them so much and hold them with high regard. I salute you with iron heart :)

Narag

Someone in Japan must be listening to you. Which is why GL is having a rerun in Winter, and Katanagatari is getting a rerun in Spring. :(

I had no idea Thoraxes wielded such power.

@Thoraxes, be a bro and start really wanting to watch a new Yasuhiro Imagawa directed series. Use this power for good.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
People often buy first volumes of anything without purchasing the rest, see the sales of almost every series ever.

I'm well aware of this. I was only questioning the efficacy of discounting the first volume because cost seems to have little if any impact on the habits of disc buyers as it is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oreshura - 01

I don't know why but I see every shitty harem lead as a Kirito expy now. Damn you Kawahara.

http://i.imgur.com/oDPxsl.jpg[IMG]

Behold, Kidota.

Watched like six minutes before bailing out. Kamei mailing it in.[/QUOTE]

I made it two minutes in. Barely past the OP. I should know better than to even give harem shit a chance.

Goddamnit, nothing in CR's Winter lineup looks interesting to me at all. Hopefully there's SOMETHING in the last few shows they have yet to reveal that looks good.

I'm well aware of this. I was only questioning the efficacy of discounting the first volume because cost seems to have little if any impact on the habits of disc buyers as it is.

Well the first volume of Kamisama Kiss only has one episode, so there's only so much free swag you can toss in before it seems just a little overpriced.

Thoraxes

Katanagatari is amazing. I don't make it a secret that I'm a soft-gutted wuss of the easily depressed variety so I find it to go back to series like these even though I enjoyed them so much and hold them with high regard. I salute you with iron heart :)
:D I just love the journeys that they each go on. They're great stories. For me, there's just something timeless about their tales, even if I already know what's going to happen.

Someone in Japan must be listening to you. Which is why GL is having a rerun in Winter, and Katanagatari is getting a rerun in Spring. :(
I wield a dangerous power.

I had no idea Thoraxes wielded such power.

@Thoraxes, be a bro and start really wanting to watch a new Yasuhiro Imagawa directed series. Use this power for good.
I will meditate on this and exert my will to make it so.

You mean Spice and Wolf season 3. Get on that Thoraxes
Additionally, I can do this. (I really liked the LN material I got around to that takes place after S2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom