• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

What's the story there? I liked it when I watched it but I had no familiarity with the source material.

Bee Train, really. Samura's art would be impossible to replicate but at least it could've been someone other than Mashimo directing it.

Jex

It certainly has its share of weaknesses. If it stays at this level of quality for the next few episodes, I'll probably bail. The level to which the Demon King dedicated to Hero from the moment of their meeting definitely doesn't quite feel earned.

But given how much of the episode is spent on establishing things, I think there's potential for it to improve in the coming weeks.

I don't deny that, theoretically, things could improve but I don't see why I should believe they might when they didn't even bother to set up the characters in a believable manner. I mean, when your set up is: "The Demon Queen loves the Hero for unspecified reasons and then persuades him to join forces with her by bouncing around and talking faux-macro economics. The Hero, as yet, has no established personality" then I don't feel like you have much to work with.

All the impressions of the show I've read have been: "Cute demon girl", "Meat etc", "Female Knight" and "Economics". That's because there's very little to say about the characters and story because they don't exist in any tangible form. It's a vehicle for discussion about Macro Economics.

Uchip

Banned
Soul Eater:
nice animation, nice fights scenes, Halloween themed, an attempt at original characters
nonsensical story, some annoying characters, terrible ending

wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to any fan of the genre

Grzi

So ANN lists Yutaka Nakamura as having worked on the final episode of Eureka Seven: AO.
Is that a mistake? I don't remember anyone mentioning this and it would probably be kind of a big deal.

Jex

Well with ghibli releases it's simple enough. JP=HK(later is region locked though)>US>>EU, this has held true so far to my knowledge. Though the UK ones, in Nausicaa's case do edge the US ones in special features.

Do the HK releases have English subtitles?

Milamber

I imagine it has to do with the Florida plane crash thread.

This is why you stay the fuck away from religion discussions, both in real life and the internetz.

Yep, we're better off talking about non-religious, non-racial, non-sexist stuff in this board if we don't want to get banned.

Now back to our anime discussion...

NxGJ4.jpg

Yeah!

Stulaw

Bakemonogatari 1-15[End] and Nisemonogatari 1-6
So, I started wathing this, and I couldn't stop, it got interesting and I love the constant different openings and endings as well asthe facial reactions in different art styles. Koyomi isn't exactly the best protagonist although his interactions with the "harem" are most of the time hilarious, especially since he clearly finds them all attractive in different ways but resists for a better reason than other MCs.

Overall, I think Nisemonogatari hasn't been as good so far, but Shinobu has suddenly become an interesting character, and I'm hoping Koyomi thinks more for himself on how to remove the bee from Karen.

Theonik

Do the HK releases have English subtitles?
I think yes
Edit: Also not that while the disk art of the HK ones is the same, they come in regular BD cases with slip covers. And will sometimes lack some dub and sub options and the JP ones do. (not the ones that matter though)
Edit2: to illustrate this in Totoro's case
Audio: English, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, French, Italian, German Vs Cantonese, Japanese
Subs: English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Italian Vs English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese

Milamber

So, I started wathing this, and I couldn't stop, it got interesting and I love the constant different openings and endings as well asthe facial reactions in different art styles. Araragi isn't exactly the best protagonist although his interactions with the "harem" are most of the time hilarious, especially since he clearly finds them all attractive in different ways but resi

I'm glad you're watching the show, hopefully you won't got so burned out in th

Steroyd

Well that looks like the kind of thread that was going to cause some people to say something that would get them banned. I really don't think you should necessarily stay away from threads like this but you should think about what you're saying when you post there.

Considering that he posts in here often, that was always going to be a tall order.

Jex

maoyuu maou yuusha - 01

I wish the author understood just how ruinous the cost of war was, back in the day. I'm just reminded of how horribly annoyed I get when I read the manga, and the other reminder, that if people expect the hero & demon queen's relationship to get any better, resembling the deliberate casting echoes of Kolo and Lawrence, it'll never happen. This is as far as it gets. The characters remain ciphers bound to their RPG roles. The story will never get more convincing.

Well thanks for confirming that. At least I know that I don't need to bother watching this next week.

So, I started wathing this, and I couldn't stop, it got interesting and I love the constant different openings and endings as well asthe facial reactions in different art styles. Araragi isn't exactly the best protagonist although his interactions with the "harem" are most of the time hilarious, especially since he clearly finds them all attractive in different ways but resi

Does your pause button/key still work?

Jex

I think yes
Edit: Also not that while the disk art of the HK ones is the same, they come in regular BD cases with slip covers. And will sometimes lack some dub and sub options and the JP ones do. (not the ones that matter though)

Hmm, in that case I might as well buy the HK releases. Thanks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I certainly agree with you there. Ohsino, no pun intended, really helps balance the pacing of the show and he's a character that Araragi can interact with who isn't a girl that's in love with him. That's pretty important!
Does Kaiki not fulfill this purpose?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know. Remember Galaxy angel? That silly simple show came with pencil boards and figurines. Other far more serious shows had an artbox and maybe a keychain or something. It was weird seeing all the different additions added to anime. Tshirts, papercraft ships, gashapon figures, pencilboards, postcards, panties..I guess whatever a company can get their hands on to promote it.
To be honest, I'm more concerned about on disc extras than booklets and stuff... but that's just me I suppose.

She went Super Saiyan. Though to be honest Dokidoki is an affront towards hairstyle fashion sense.
What in the world...

I certainly agree with you there. Ohsino, no pun intended, really helps balance the pacing of the show and he's a character that Araragi can interact with who isn't a girl that's in love with him. That's pretty important!
The girs don't all love him!

---

Space Brothers 39 - so, I was a bit thrown off by what felt like a fake out, but for anyone still interested in that live action movie, the cliffhanger of this episode is the climax of the film... so if you're afraid of the film spoiling the anime, we're sort of at the point where they essentially converge.

Of course, this being the anime, I expect it to take 10 episodes to resolve this problem. :p

Theonik

Hmm, in that case I might as well buy the HK releases. Thanks.
You can probably get away with it yes. Also note the latest edits on what I mean in totoro's case.
Edit: Read this
*Note that for special features, the ones cut on the HK releases aren't on the US ones either and the JP ones don't have the special features with Eng subs if that matters iirc. For Nausicaa the UK one is the only one that has the 45 minute documentary with Anno subbed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But he's more of an antagonist.
They're all antagonists!

Conveniently enough, apparently there's only about ten episodes left for the show... do you think it'll wind up ending right around where the movie did?
Oh really? lol

Well... the movie basically wraps up the cliffhanger and then adds a little bit of an addendum/denouement to make it satisfying for the average movie goer. I kind of hope the anime will resist that ending, if only because it would
shut down any possibility of season 2
, so if it actually needs 10 episodes to wrap this arc up and not do an easy out... I guess I'd be okay with that.

Milamber

Well thanks for confirming that. At least I know that I don't need to bother watching this next week.
Oh, pay no attention to that. We've seen and read enough light novels to know that some anime directors change some stuff around to fit anime conventions so there may be some surprises.

Why cant people just stay away from bad anime? It draws us in like moths to flame.
Then this thread would be a bit boring. I love reading GAF's reaction to old horrible anime, but yeah, too much can be a bit distressing.

Jex

jinrui - 07

Had a really hard time finishing this episode. Repeated content didn't manage to be compelling, was just repetitive instead. Pushing on.

The middle of the show really sags quite badly. I basically skipped it.

Taruranto

This new season is do depressing.

I'm so desperate for new animu that i'm hyping myself for PP next arc... at least SSY is back being good and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom