• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Tamako Market 1

I thought this was pretty much a perfect first episode.

I have absolutely no intention of ever watching this again.

jbug617

Banned
Kotoura-san

The first half was hilarious. I totally lost it at the cat scene. The second half was okay, but I think I'll lose interest once the main girl will stops hating the world.

It would be great to have her to be in FU mode for most of the series especially if her
parents and former friends show up

jman2050

You know... the toothbrush scene was definitely the worst offender. I can't even be mad at the scene right before it when Karen breaks Arararararagi's chest cavity(she totally broke it and he healed it up before going full creeper) and creeps him the fuck out by not letting go. I thought that was pretty funny, but it gets kinda lost in the mania of proper dental hygiene. Same thing could be said about other scenes like Neko Kuro's attempted kissing scene in episode 3 iirc. The toothbrush scene really painted the series in a worse light than the usual family stuff involved.

Neko Kuro 3:

"Is that how you respond to your sister's devotion?!"
"I'm taking disciplinary action!"
"It's in our genes! Like brother, like sisters!"

That had me rolling there for a second when it panned to Koyomi's creeped out face in Neko and I found it harmless compared to Nise's supremely creepy dental work.

People misunderstood the toothbrush episode. Everyone saw a depraved grossly immoral display of sexual proclivity between siblings of the opposite sex. I saw the beginnings of a long term effect of the previous events of the series, a bonding between siblings that had previously had little to do with one another. It was a heartwarming display of the type of strong relationship that can form via the familial bond, and it pains me as an upstanding citizen of this world for this intense and sobering message to be twisted and reduced down by its detractors to nothing more than a display of meaningless fanservice when it's so much more.

The courage to use incest to repair the bonds of familiar love all over the world!

I'm joking of course. Mostly. I think...

jman2050

It was so perfect that watching it a second time would simply diminish the experience under every circumstance thereby rendering a rewatch a moot point to be explored only by those with a sense of adventure and a taste for the wild side.

you're so cute when you speak nonsense.

Naruto Shippuden - Power (pt 6, end) - ep 295
rasenshurikan_power_style_by_tristtrist-d5r2o6d.gif

Well I think that ultimately the previous episodes actually had the better fights, always one for human or human v humanoid (four tailed fox clone is humanoid, imo) are way more interesting that human v giants and what not. However the episode did have the awesome and epic Rasenshurikan (one of the ten best jutsus) and even more, though it fit in awkward with canon
the near nine tailed chakra mode part when he was all powering up shirt all open and etc was phenomenal especially his skill in it. They even had the best song on the ost playing making it feel all awesome and such. Its just hard to describe but its those key moments that make me really enjoy seeing Naruto be all cool and like the ultimate payoff for every arc

The other developments were nice
the bro sis marriage proposal in the crisis and then the kids stuff, Leo etc, and their Naruto onii-chan

I hope they plan to do more of these type of random specials again as this was really a blast and pretty memorable and at times really visually stunning.

Cant wait to get back to canon next week
Naruto on the battlefield

wow whats with these fillers all having good animation? Might have to watch them, the story alright?

Theonik

Well to be fair Heartcatch had a smaller cast to deal with, at least at first.
See though they have 48 episodes, they could just spread them out. And find interesting ways to introduce the characters. I don't think it's really an excuse given that.

4chan stalkers would explain a lot as to why we see stuff made here in other places. Also, view count.
I've been linked to 4chan people insulting us too so it probably is the case. They just love us.
Edit: As BGBW said can't blame them for copying our shit though we do it too.

Cwarrior

Get to the Kyoto arc yet? Kenshin's soundtrack turns amazing there.

Nope last I watched some train heist episode 21 i think.

Either watch more or stop bitching about the early episodes.

I don't see a laws against bitching, am free to bitching how ever much I please, I wouldn't be bitching in the first place if gintama would allow me to like it, I truly wanted to love it but alas I can't, that's far to difficult of a task to accomplish :(

Edit:
I Found one of the tracks am absolutely sick of hearing it's not bad at all but the way it' used & abused is really grating and annoying.

Whenever a filler character opens his shitty mouth to tell you sob story This plays actually it plays even before they say anything so you know a sob story already coming since it's been telegraphed by the song, which cause me to roll my eyes, it plays around 2-3 per episode every episode..

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Zetsuen no Tempest 13:

Some have complained about the fact that the first half of this episode was recap, but I, for one, appreciated having only ten minutes of bullshit this week instead of the usual twenty.

As for the new content in the episode, what?

NeonZ

They also seem to have everything figured out from the start like their names and catchphrases. In HeartCatch they did all this much better.

Rewatch Sunny's introduction, it's pretty clear that the catchphrase and name were basically automated somehow. I agree regarding those early introductions though. The oddest thing is that Sunny and Happy aside they all had different writers, yet still forced the same formula onto everyone. They could have tried something different from making every Cure useless right after their debut, like a battle involving just the new Cure...

See though they have 48 episodes, they could just spread them out. And find interesting ways to introduce the characters. I don't think it's really an excuse given that.

They didn't have 48 episodes though, they had to introduce everyone before the New Stage movie debuted on theaters, since it featured the complete team as main characters (the movie debuted between episodes 6 and 7).

CorvoSol

So I looked up the background info between the end of Nadesico and Prince of Darkness and . . . yeah, even though the designs were nifty, I'm gonna probably wish forever that it had ended differently.

The whole movie was just poorly explained, abrupt, and raised more questions about the series than it ever bothered to answer. Ruri's was the only character to get any development, while Akito was completely derailed with the only explanation being "You don't want to know" "No, I don't. Not ever." And the damn movie goes so far as to illustrate the similarities between Gai and Shiratori, but never comments on them.

Prince of Darkness is so frustrating because it feels like there's some whole story there and I only got the middle of it. The beginning is in fragments all over the internet, the middle being the film, and the ending having apparently never come to exist. The film doesn't even say that Akito had gone so far as to wed Yurika, but apparently that happened!

I don't know. I just wish there was like, at least an interview or something out there from one of the guys behind the show saying "And then Ruri and the Nadesico gang had a cool adventure and found Akito. The adventure wrapped up the whole Ms. Fressange card thing, how Gekiganger became known to the Jovians, and everything was more or less okay in the end!"

And while I thought Akito's black costume and black Aesti were cool, I didn't think it was the kind of cool that was appropriate for Akito. Like, this is Akito Tenkawa, Fry Cook. Something about making him Batman seems inappropriate.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zetsuen no Tempest 13:

Some have complained about the fact that the first half of this episode was recap, but I, for one, appreciated having only ten minutes of bullshit this week instead of the usual twenty.

As for the new content in the episode, what?

LOL.

cajunator

Banned
Corvosol have you watched Outlaw Star? Its a little bit like Nadesico in some ways.
Also Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Dirty Pair.
I dont recall what you have watched.

Theonik

Rewatch Sunny's introduction, it's pretty clear that the catchphrase and name were basically automated somehow. I agree regarding those early introductions though. The oddest thing is that Sunny and Happy aside they all had different writers, yet still forced the same formula onto everyone.
I guess it does make sense that they only logical explanation is that they got all that from the holy gods of mahou shoujos but it's still lame.

They didn't have 48 episodes though, they had to introduce everyone before the New Stage movie debuted on theaters, since it featured the complete team as main characters (the movie debuted between episodes 6 and 7).
I guess that would make sense as to why they'd have to rush it though at the same time, they could just as well as had them in the movies and introduce them fully in the show later. (there is no real need for direct continuity in the films.)

BluWacky

I don't get it

I will expand, as no, it is not as cajun suggests.

The whole thing is impeccably crafted. The animation is unsurprisingly filled with character and life, the characters (particularly Dera) are endearing, the background art is gorgeous, the writing enjoyably quirky, the music is fitting etc. etc. I don't think they should have changed anything about it - for the series that Tamako Market is going to be, it's a perfect opener, and I'm sure the show will be really popular and probably deservedly.

What I'm going to say is going to sound like bollocks, but for me it may actually be too well crafted.

I get a bit cynical about KyoAni shows because every time the character animators come up with another cutesy little moment for their characters or the voice actresses squeak out another line I feel like I'm being manipulated. They know exactly what they are doing, and I know that too. It jolts me out of the show - like, say, the first episode of Hyouka where Chitanda keeps peering closer and closer at the camera and all those CG vines start growing in the classroom or whatever it was. I start treating their shows like product instead of being immersed in their world.

However, having just watched a few minutes of Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, which made me feel like a flasher in a raincoat standing in a train station it was so creepy (sorry Pdot if you're reading this, this is not a slight against you!), it's churlish to complain about cynicism in a show as obviously charming as Tamako Market, aside from one moment as per below:

I mean seriously, I can't get my arms into that position and have spent about a minute trying to do so, surely human arms are just too long for that?

What my main issues are with the show are two of its "perfect" aspects:

i) It's so unrelentingly nice. The squabbling fathers and Dera's haughtier moments aside, there is absolutely nothing other than fluffiness emanating from the screen. I get that it's perfect for many anime viewers to have shows like this, but it's not my kind of thing. While the show has mysteries - Tamako's mother's song, for instance, or the identity of Dera's prince or the bride he searches for - they're the kind of wholesome, feelgood mysteries that have very little to do with anything in the long run, and I need something a bit more substantial I guess to hold my interest.

ii) I feel like the script, for all of its quality characterisation, is screaming at the viewer "LOOK AT MY PERFECT CONSTRUCTION! SEE MY SUBPLOTS STARTING UP!" The setup is so well executed that it feels like I can see everything coming from a mile away. I have no doubt that the each subplot will be well paced and given plenty of time in the writing - but does it have to be so obvious about it?

I dunno, maybe this sounds ridiculous, like I'm looking for "bad" things to say about an episode that I do still think is pretty much perfect for what it is. It's just that "what it is" is not something I have any great interest in watching any more of.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I mean seriously, I can't get my arms into that position and have spent about a minute trying to do so, surely human arms are just too long for that?

Huh? I don't understand what's your problem with that shot. Her arms... Are fine?

BluWacky

You can't do the old jazz hands?

I work in musical theatre - I can most certainly do spirit fingers :p

Huh? I don't understand what's your problem with that shot. Her arms... Are fine?

Okay, I have now managed to do an approximation of Tamako's arms there (yes, I am serious, I have been trying to do it!). It just seems like a completely unnatural movement, and I still think looking at that shot it is very, very odd. It's a "moe" pose, not a natural one that anyone would make.

Maybe I just don't understand body language well enough. I remember reading somewhere (probably in one of these threads) that some of the Japanese audience were confused by Bahi JD's sequence in Apollon 9 (or whenever it was) because he animated students beckoning to each other in a "Western" manner. Maybe something like this is something Japanese people do frequently?

Maybe I'm just making something out of nothing, though, you're probably right :p

I will expand, as no, it is not as cajun suggests.

The whole thing is impeccably crafted. The animation is unsurprisingly filled with character and life, the characters (particularly Dera) are endearing, the background art is gorgeous, the writing enjoyably quirky, the music is fitting etc. etc. I don't think they should have changed anything about it - for the series that Tamako Market is going to be, it's a perfect opener, and I'm sure the show will be really popular and probably deservedly.

What I'm going to say is going to sound like bollocks, but for me it may actually be too well crafted.

I get a bit cynical about KyoAni shows because every time the character animators come up with another cutesy little moment for their characters or the voice actresses squeak out another line I feel like I'm being manipulated. They know exactly what they are doing, and I know that too. It jolts me out of the show - like, say, the first episode of Hyouka where Chitanda keeps peering closer and closer at the camera and all those CG vines start growing in the classroom or whatever it was. I start treating their shows like product instead of being immersed in their world.

However, having just watched a few minutes of Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, which made me feel like a flasher in a raincoat standing in a train station it was so creepy (sorry Pdot if you're reading this, this is not a slight against you!), it's churlish to complain about cynicism in a show as obviously charming as Tamako Market, aside from one moment as per below:

What my main issues are with the show are two of its "perfect" aspects:

i) It's so unrelentingly nice. The squabbling fathers and Dera's haughtier moments aside, there is absolutely nothing other than fluffiness emanating from the screen. I get that it's perfect for many anime viewers to have shows like this, but it's not my kind of thing. While the show has mysteries - Tamako's mother's song, for instance, or the identity of Dera's prince or the bride he searches for - they're the kind of wholesome, feelgood mysteries that have very little to do with anything in the long run, and I need something a bit more substantial I guess to hold my interest.

ii) I feel like the script, for all of its quality characterisation, is screaming at the viewer "LOOK AT MY PERFECT CONSTRUCTION! SEE MY SUBPLOTS STARTING UP!" The setup is so well executed that it feels like I can see everything coming from a mile away. I have no doubt that the each subplot will be well paced and given plenty of time in the writing - but does it have to be so obvious about it?

I dunno, maybe this sounds ridiculous, like I'm looking for "bad" things to say about an episode that I do still think is pretty much perfect for what it is. It's just that "what it is" is not something I have any great interest in watching any more of.

Quoting effort post.

Best licenses of the day I guess, well I never heard of that hanasaka iroha anime nisa licensed, but am glad for Little Busters. With a dub the anime will actually probably be in my top 25 cause no more awful komari chan, or rin's voices, or even the dumb wafu.

wow whats with these fillers all having good animation? Might have to watch them, the story alright?

Good story, though probably depends if youre alright with kids in anime.

CorvoSol

So, Anime GAF, while I'm still watching Gundam RAGE, MSG, and Eureka Seven, I need something to fill the hole that Nadesico has just left in my life. What I need is one good non-Gundam Mecha Anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe I just don't understand body language well enough. I remember reading somewhere (probably in one of these threads) that some of the Japanese audience were confused by Bahi JD's sequence in Apollon 9 (or whenever it was) because he animated students beckoning to each other in a "Western" manner. Maybe something like this is something Japanese people do frequently?

r.......really?

Anyway, if that Tamako pose was actually a thing that people do in Japan, we'd probably have other examples or at least recognize the general context in which that kind of gesture is made. It stood out as unnatural and, well, bordering on tryhard to me when I watched as well.

So, Anime GAF, while I'm still watching Gundam RAGE, MSG, and Eureka Seven, I need something to fill the hole that Nadesico has just left in my life. What I need is one good non-Gundam Mecha Anime.

GETTER ROBO ARMAGEDDON

I don't see a laws against bitching, am free to bitching how ever much I please, I wouldn't be bitching in the first place if gintama would allow me to like it, I truly wanted to love it but alas I can't, that's far to difficult of a task to accomplish :(

Edit:
I Found one of the tracks am absolutely sick of hearing it's not bad at all but the way it' used & abused is really grating and annoying.

Whenever a filler character opens his shitty mouth to tell you sob story This plays actually it plays even before they say anything so you know a sob story already coming since it's been telegraphed by the song, which cause me to roll my eyes.

You're bitching about the first 27 episodes in a series where 257 and counting episodes have aired.

So they aren't the best episodes, that's ok. No one says they are.

So you didn't like them, that's ok. They are not for everyone.

But, saying the show is bad cause of the music keeps being repeated, cause of the voice cast being less than stellar only because they were bad in the first 10% of the episodes is nothing but bitching at this point.

You didn't like it, you took forever to watch it, whatever. Just move on and watch your shounens.

BluWacky

r.......really?

Ah, here we go, from Anipages' interview with Bahi JD:

the man himself said:
Something that stood out to some Japanese viewers who emailed me was the way the students called the other students. The way they move their hand to call the students is totally not Japanese. Someone who saw the episode emailed me and told me that she was really surprised by the calling gesture and enjoyed it, but thought it looked very European/western, so since I was the only one in the credits with a non-Japanese name, she was sure it was me who did those cuts LOL. I didn't do this on purpose; the problem was my lack of knowledge about Japanese culture. We would have fixed it if there was more time to make the gesture more Japanese, but it's not such a huge disaster actually since it's an anime focused on the music and friendship, so I think people will be OK about those shots haha. But I animated the gestures the way they looked to me in the storyboard.

Cardfight!! Vanguard ep 33 (engDub)
tumblr_mgfpvahTuD1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mgfpvahTuD1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Wow incredible episode, the dub gives Ren Suzugamori such good lines. "So would you like to give our viewers a few words"..."The players in this country are the best....at wasting their time trying to get to the level of Team Asteroid". They also get so many laughs off of Kai, cant imagine him watching something with friends together, then shows him eating alone at a Vanguard diner :(

Miwa is such a good friend/cheerleader for Team Q4, way underrated though perfect at getting Kai to act like a teammate.
eating lunch with him then urging Kai to say some words of encouragement to Aichi

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah, here we go, from Anipages' interview with Bahi JD:

Well, as long as viewers simply thought it looked not Japanese instead of necessarily bad, that's fine. The scene had among the most natural and lifelike movement I've ever seen in an anime so I won't abide people talking down on it!

Is that the thing that Square Enix made a game out of?

Doesn't ring a bell. The only mecha-related anything I can think of from from S-E are Front Mission and Robot Alchemic Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom