• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Kotoura-san 1

Oh man, that first half was so hilariously over-melodramatic that it gives Jun Maeda a run for his money. After that it kinda tampers off for a bit with the despair being played up every now and then. Hilarious stuff that people should watch for the first half.

Is this some Saikano levels of depression moe?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - 01

6aii8.png
bY4v2.png

I have no idea what the fuck I just watched, but it was entertaining nonetheless. Also, best Valentine's day gift ever? Best Valentine's day gift ever.

CorvoSol

Well you have some various choices...
Rahxephon- weird mecha like evangelion
Kiddy grade- semi-mecha but a fucking lot of fun
Gurren Laggan - blow your face off with awesome mecha
Escaflowne- fantasy mecha
Gao Gai gar- nonserious entertaining wtf mecha
But Im no mecha expert these are just ones I like.

I've seen Gurren Lagann, and I think I may have seen Rahxephon. But I could check out Gao Gai Gar.

Votoms if you haven't seen it. Or Macross.

Macross is next in line after Mazinger. I should probably sit down and make a word document for this.

Rofl gundam RAGE ...

As for your question well i suggest : Goddannar ...

Very old school but full of hot blooded moments !! With an actual plot too. anyway if you don't know it i really suggest you try this one !

it's no classic but it's a fun anime that is perfect for a transition between 2 classic animes.

He hid it ! As for where he could have hidden that , ask your imagination or the G.AGE writters

Grodek must not be very thorough then.

He took the direct route , unlike the cast (no i'm not joking )

How is that even a thing?

Various special nights during his youth ???
he was faking it .!!!
I don't think you can fake being handcuffed by your enemy.

Plot armor .. the real reason will be revealed much much later ( i won't spoiler this one )

There's an actual reason? oi vey.

This will stop soon . Wait Ep12 ?? then it's the last time you'll see that. But you might see something dumber instead ..

Real. Physical. Pain.

cjkeats

Haganai: NEXT
I'm so glad this is back.
If the light novel spoilers I read before they announced S2 are right, then I can see which path they are going this season and I'm both excited/terrified.
The new OP and ED are awesome too.

#TEAMMEAT

Soma

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai Episode 01

Wait. So the ED was basically a slowed down (or non-sped up rather) version of a scene that happened halfway through the episode? Oh, SHAFT...

Anyhow, this wasn't as ugly as I was expecting. The show actually looks quite nice in scenes that aren't in Sasami's room. It's a shame that a lot of scenes take place in her room though but I somewhat got used to that weird pseudo-watercolor texture. It was weird but kinda entertaining so I'll keep watching for now.

cajunator

Banned
Haganai: NEXT
I'm so glad this is back.

If the light novel spoilers I read before they announced S2 are right, then I can see which path they are going this season and I'm both excited/terrified.
The new OP and ED are awesome too.

#TEAMMEAT

I need to watch s1 of Haganai.
Man I have such a ridiculous backlog I doubt it will ever be caught up ( which is kind of a good thing)

I've seen Gurren Lagann, and I think I may have seen Rahxephon. But I could check out Gao Gai Gar.

Macross is next in line after Mazinger. I should probably sit down and make a word document for this.
Don't forget goddannar ( it's very fun ) even if it's not a classic
Grodek must not be very thorough then.
How is that even a thing?
I don't think you can fake being handcuffed by your enemy.
i'm joking ..i think they wanted grrodek and co at escape safely to the real battlefield but couldn't just make a total joke of the other character so they probably stettled for this situation where you don't care even if you're left miles behind in a forest without means of transport mean nothing.
There's an actual reason? oi vey.
I wish i could joke about this part.
Real. Physical. Pain.

Well i watched it all in one go( each go by arc ) to make it as painless as possible.

Defuser

Psycho-Pass ep 12

What I expect for the new Psycho-Pass OP/ED : Shit
What I got : Shit and some half naked characters.

The band singing for Psycho-Pass OP is fucking terrible and I'm never a fan of rock ballad for the ED.

It's quite abrupt to go into flashback episode in attempt to flesh out characters, can we even call it a attempt? The flashback shows nothing on how Yayoi got her Psycho-Pass cloudy, only her reason to be an Enforcer. Sasayama is more of dick and crazy then I expected. More world building, more insight of the Sibyl system and nice to see there are some people who resents the Sibyl system.

Oh god, I hope next episode goes back to the present time. I don't need a Kagari/Gino flashback.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Haganai Next 01:

HaganaiNext_01_zps737716ed.jpg

Chet Seal of Approval mark 2

Yozoworst continues to bully Sena as usual, but for some reason in this first segment Rika's totally helping her. Not sure when that alliance started but whatever.

Second segment sees Kodaka being invited to study at Sena's place.

HaganaiNext_02_zps755e11c6.jpg

Oh yeah, like where this is going!

And Oh My, Sena! This better lead to some :sdburton in the future damn it! Would be the only way to eventually redeem Yozora in my eyes.

Even some :DTL for good measure eh? I guess they gotta cover all the bases on the first episode, though it won't continue DTL so don't get ideas.

Hm... I think I need to make that last shot of Sena my new wallpaper...

cjkeats

I need to watch s1 of Haganai.
Man I have such a ridiculous backlog I doubt it will ever be caught up ( which is kind of a good thing)

I only restarted watching anime early this summer, my backlog is the size of the ocean, and that's great. It's like a never ending pile of distractions from studying now that university has started for me again.
As for the show, I think you'd like it, it has it's cute moments. I'm sure it's not considered good by some of the stuffier AnimeGAFers but hey, it's a fun show, and I'm always down for a fun show.
funthingsarefun

Syrinx

Ah! My Goddess 36

Okay, Keiichi in this episode was a dumbshit of epic proportions. First he just realizes that Peorth was there to fulfill his greatest desires. Then later, he just realizes that Belldandy was jealous of Peorth. Weren't these things, like, spelled out for him explicitly? Well, turns out Peorth's duty was fulfilled by
getting Belldandy to confess her love for Keiichi
, so her work is done.

I really liked Urd in this episode. Throughout the whole thing she had this "I'm fucking tired of this shit." look on her face, which, frankly, kinda expressed my feelings as well. This was definitely one of the weaker arcs in the series,, so I'm pretty glad it's done.

cajunator

Banned
I only restarted watching anime early this summer, my backlog is the size of the ocean, and that's great. It's like a never ending pile of distractions from studying now that university has started for me again.
As for the show, I think you'd like it, it has it's cute moments. I'm sure it's not considered good by some of the stuffier AnimeGAFers but hey, it's a fun show, and I'm always down for a fun show.
funthingsarefun

Yeah I can fully understand why some posters are so picky because it keeps backlogs manageable, but I think it just leaves so much fun out of the equation.
There is much joy to be found even in bad anime.

Kazzy

[Medaka Box Abnormal] - 12

If they wanted to leave them wanting more, then this episode certainly accomplishes that. And I think the reason that I held off watching this for long, was because of the all the hyperbole flying around at the time of the airing. But they succeeded in presenting these characters unique personalities and quirks with such aplomb, that it retroactively makes you wonder why they even bothered with the preceding seasons. I now understand all the praise/criticism regarding it.

Those assholes!

Psycho Pass 12
tumblr_mgf5n9Q1uj1r3gmivo1_500.jpg

The new OP was a really good song (wish Funimation had the lyrics) and had great visuals, really visceral experience. The new ED was pretty good for most scenes, glad Kogami and Shogo got coverage, need to watch again to see if Sasayama did, and on Sasayama, he really made this episode pretty awesome making up for the weaker characters on the cast who oddly served as the focus point. Fortunately it did mean more Kogami screentime. The song though was actually pretty awesome, is the group incapable of making a bad song?

Ginoza was really cool though too bad he couldnt convince her but I liked Kogami's more direct method and Sasayama's recklessness was kind of funny, but why so trigger happy. Hope that wasnt what led to his eventual death. Thought for sure Yayoi would kill the girl

Defuser

Haganai S2 ep1

Sena is such a gullible, naive, crazy, perverted, obsessive, yuri stalker.

#Team Meat motherfuckers!

Maid Sena...*Nicholson nodding.gif*

cjkeats

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai: Episode 1
lol @ the Haruhi dance.
I'm not entirely sure what I just watched, but the action and music were great.

red>Sasami>black>yellow

cajunator

Banned
Damn there were definitely two tornadoes that tore up stuff this morning.
One of the was 5 minutes from where I would have had to drive to my parents.
Made the right decision.
Will pick up the animu tomorrow morning.

Syrinx

Damn there were definitely two tornadoes that tore up stuff this morning.
One of the was 5 minutes from where I would have had to drive to my parents.
Made the right decision.
Will pick up the animu tomorrow morning.

Shit, didn't you guys get tornadoes around Christmas too? That's pretty insane.

jman2050

Haganai NEXT 1

I have no idea where to start. So many possible angles I could take this post.

Oh well, I'll just pick one.

Forget Meat, Pegasus/Kodaka ending plz.

Also show looks about 100x better than season 1.

Hakkenden 1
tumblr_mgcdtax2RH1qibinbo1_250.gif
tumblr_mgcdtax2RH1qibinbo4_250.gif

Faylan OP puts this automatically for best OP of the new anime, really good song and the visuals, though I had already watched the OP many many times before watching the actual episode. So glad Crunchyroll got Hakkenden as its really good anime. The voice cast really has familiary voices, Shino sounds exactly like Natsu Dragneel (from fairy tail, when he gets all excited like), the Bird/Murasame sounds like Bakuman's Eiji Nizuma, and did I hear Zeharto/Erecpyle? Anyway like them and all the characters, especially, Shino, Kenta, Sosuke, Rio and more. The powers looked really good especially Shino's and how his whole demeanor seemed to change, or perhaps not as kid acting as he really looks, I liked
and when he pulled out that sword and completely sliced the enemy in half, mindblown
. Hope to see Sosuke's at some point.

Kagami

Why don't we talk about Queen's Blade more often in here?

Hey, I've been posting about it a little!
I'm catching up on QB because I want to watch Rebellion before voting for NeoGAF AOTY stuff.
Got a pile of queens and blades sitting next to my desk that I'm going through:

iRNHIqfHHxUyn.JPG

Yesterday I watched the fourth OVA, Utsukushiki Toushi-tachi "Saikou! Menace Yuetsu no Oukyuu" and am jamming to the bonus CD music tracks now.

The Utsukushiki Toushi-tachi OVAs go even more in the direction of the characters being naked all the time. I see complaints that QB's nudity isn't erotic because the characters don't show any embarrassment. I don't disagree with that per se, and it's not that I don't appreciate embarrassment (I like Koe de Oshigoto! after all) but I don't see it as the point in Queen's Blade.
What Queen's Blade does is the same kind of thing as the notpanties in Strike Witches, or in other words, it's taking something that in other shows might be special service and turned it into sexy outfit-status--that's just what the characters look like. It's up to the audience to appreciate it in passing--the show and characters aren't going to stop to dwell on it. And it'd be a little silly for the strongest warriors in the land to flub important fights by shrieking and trying to cover themselves.
Plus one advantage of characters not caring about notpanties/nudity/skintight pilot suits/whatever is that you can have those things going non-stop even in dramatic/emotional scenes where acting embarrassed would interfere.

Anyway, the fourth episode is about Menace and yet another attempt to restore her ancient notEgyptian kingdom, and Airi and Melona's attempt to get her to stop goofing around and come back to the Swamp Witch. Presumably these OVAs are leading to the Rebellion storyline because
they haven't been ending with return-to-status-quo endings, but rather with the characters in new situations different from how they've been up to now.

There's one scene in this episode where they re-used the very beginning of the Airi version ending to the second TV season ("The Evil Eye"): the animation of her dropping down and turning around. Any QB fan has probably seen that ED at least half a dozen times, so I doubt they expected it to go unnoticed, but it's such a well-animated sequence that I guess they just felt it was worth using again. Still kind of funny to see "bank" animation in an OVA. You hardly see reused animation at all these days. (Instead you see tons of CG models...)

From the menu screen on the BD it looks like this episode is intended to have Yumil as one of its featured characters, but she's not actually in it much. I wonder if she'll get more of an appearance in the final two. (Although I guess she needs less attention since she'll get screen-time in Rebellion anyway.)

So far my favorite OVA has been the third one, probably mostly just because I like both Aleyne and Nowa, but none of the episodes have been disappointing.
Next up OVA #5 is Nanael's episode, which back at the time was delayed for a month or two, leading to rumors of Hiarano Aya dropping out of the role, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

cajunator

Banned
Shit, didn't you guys get tornadoes around Christmas too? That's pretty insane.

Yeah.
This morning one went through Breaux Bridge and tore up 50 houses and another south of where I work went through a mobile home park.
basically I drove between both of them to get home.

Nafe

Oh yeah, I forgot when talking about Tamako Market that I also really liked how the series of shots were done at the beginning to how you see the flowers and then the flower shop worker take them out and seeing the bird there with them.

---

Actually, I'm animegaf's sole Inuyasha defender and Narag has been using this to try to get into a 200-episode simulwatch suicide pact with me. I've turned him down for months because he knows not what he's getting himself into, but now, I think, the time for saving him from himself is over.

Well I don't hate Inuyasha but I do agree with some of the complaints that get brought up so I guess I'm kind of hit and miss with my feelings on it. It's certainly better than what I read of the manga Kyoukai no Rinne anyway. I actually really like a lot of the different songs in the soundtrack too.

Well, not really no... lol
But that episode I really like. It's one of my favorite of the season.

Yeah, I can't really think of any episodes I didn't like either.
Have you seen the first episode of Tamako Market? Are you going to watch it as it airs or put it off for now like Hyouka?

Senran Kagura 01

It was a nice lighthearted episode to introduce the girls. I didn't remember Kiriya looking so old, and it was nice that the clothes they used for training is one of the set of clothes you get in the game, and the main female thug was identical to the game.

I'm just wondering if they will show the lighthearted side of the antagonists too, since I think this was one of the main points of the second game, but this is the first episode and they have time to do this.
And a hint for why the other girls are the antagonists.

And I see some people falling for Hikage, voiced by Ryoko Shiraishi.
http://i.imgur.com/JE5J4.jpg[IMG]
She sounds like Inaban+Osaka-ben=<3
She's my favorite from Hebijou.

Can this be the music theme of this season?[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtWQSlCOaI"]:Chet[/URL]

And for classy news, I got my younger brother to watch Girls und Panzer. =D[/QUOTE]

OK, that's interesting,thanks. I forgot about the second game. I heard it has the first too, almost like [B]Dissidia Final Fantasy[/B] I suppose in that regard. Good for those who didn't buy it yet, bad for early adopters. :(
Although I suppose there wouldn't be a sequel if those early adopters didn't buy it.

More [B]Girls und Panzer[/B] fans is always good too. Did he like it?

[quote="Hitokage, post: 46267326"]Blasphemy. None have the light of Kawamori.[/QUOTE]

Have you watched the first episode of [B]AKB0048 Next Stage[/B] yet?

[quote="yn-neko hates a cat, post: 46269505"][B]Magi 05[/B]
I don't know about you Chet but I'm fine with blue Genie breast <3

This horrible season has resulted in me going back and watching shows I overlooked last season and [B]Magi[/B] is growing on me :)[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I thought of this earlier but forgot to ask. As a general question to [B]cosmicblizzard[/B] or anyone who's read the [B]Magi[/B] manga, do you think we'll see these characters again later in the anime?

[quote="Narag, post: 46269544"][b]Inu-Yasha 5[/b]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kFJbX.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Sesshomaru is cool. He's a total tsundere too with his whole "It's not like I came here to save you. I was only passing through, like the wind."

[quote="Narag, post: 46292584"][b]Wounded Man 3[/b]
and overelaborate 80s hair to round it out.
[/QUOTE]

Nice! I was wondering why the heck you were watching this based off of reading your impressions. As much as I like unnecessarily detailed 80s anime hair I don't think that would be enough to get me to watch this though.

[quote="Theonik, post: 46292594"][B]Smile PreCure 04[/B]

All nagging aside, let's talk about the actual episode. Cure March is super OP [SPOILER]she can damage an Akambo without going precure![/SPOILER] [URL="http://i.minus.com/ifPt3ZopiYqIl.png"]cure happy is also so much better with normal hair than whatever she usually has on.
[/URL] I also didn't mention this but out of all the transformations so far I really love [URL="http://i.minus.com/iBn5LYY0QNmRI.png"]this frame the most.[/URL] Love her design! Also for the ship watch, let it be known I maintain my position of Cure Happy x Cure Sunny but now I am accepting of a love triangle scenario.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Miyuki definitely looks better when she's not sporting twin croissant tails. It's pretty neat going back and being able to see things like that since it goes by so fast and you miss it. I'd have to say I like that shot too.

[quote="M_Night, post: 46292920"]Nice write up. Still haven't watched it but I'm fairly confident I will enjoy it a lot.

I find the general :firehawk nature of KyoAni shows to be very pleasing. Very relaxing and unwinding to watch before bed! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah, that's a part of what I liked when watching shows such as [B]K-On![/B] too.

Maedhros

Tamako Market 01

My face watching it: :|

Some observations:

- The fuck is the problem with the blonde woman's voice? It's a trap!
- The bird is glorious. As always, I'm more interested on the non-human characters of a KyoAni show.
- The cast isn't really interesting. So cliche it hurts.
- What's Yuuki Nagato doing on the anime?

I want to know if this show will have some crazy KyoAni moments or if it'll more slow. Not really a good first episode.

jgminto

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 1

Well, I wasn't expecting that. Really nice art style aside from oversaturation in some scenes. A few minutes in and I thought the show was going to be standard harem affair with zany characters. Then chocolate. It certainly got my interest.

I hope if they show the brother's face he is REALLY ugly. That would be hilarious.

CorvoSol

Corvosol chickening out from the glory of Smile Precure 35. SMH

Why do I never get that kind of gift on my birthday?

Not that I would want any of that. Lewd.

Oh, now you've done it. Now I'm going to HAVE to watch it. Ain't nobody calls this crow a chicken.

But first I have to finish the rest of my homework.

cajunator

Banned
Tamako Market 01

My face watching it: :|

Some observations:

- The fuck is the problem with the blonde woman's voice? It's a trap!
- The bird is glorious. As always, I'm more interested on the non-human characters of a KyoAni show.
- The cast isn't really interesting. So cliche it hurts.
- What's Yuuki Nagato doing on the anime?

I want to know if this show will have some crazy KyoAni moments or if it'll more slow. Not really a good first episode.

Haha.
You would probably find Momoko and Miko from ShangriLa kind of strange too.

Blast of Tempest 13
tumblr_mgfjiaNVLS1rn98vpo2_500.jpg

People be making the episodes sound all bad, it was actually really good. Cant ever get tired of Mahiro's voice and narrator just about the whole thing. What worked best was the random inserts of their younger versions in places.

the dude at the end, Hanemura seems really epic and with such good voice, Alibaba/OumaShu/Haruyuki/. The preview was so cryptic, can both he and yoshino be mages of exodus?

Some nice scenes in the ed, though ed 1 better visually.

Well you have some various choices...
Rahxephon- weird mecha like evangelion
Kiddy grade- semi-mecha but a fucking lot of fun
Gurren Laggan - blow your face off with awesome mecha
Escaflowne- fantasy mecha
Gao Gai gar- nonserious entertaining wtf mecha
But Im no mecha expert these are just ones I like.

I find your lack of Code Geass disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom