• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I've looked at the Yamato 2199 release schedule again, and it seems that since late last year, they've actually sped it up, probably because they were already making this deal.

http://www.yamato2199.net/showinfo_05.html
http://www.yamato2199.net/goods/bd_005.html

Vol5 which contains ep15-18 will be screened in April and released on DVD/BD in May. The intervals are now 3 months, not 4 months. So Vol6 with ep19-22 should screen in July and be released on DVD/BD in August.

I'm starting to suspect that fertygo might be right, and this could be a split-cour broadcast, simply because I think it would make more sense to Bandai and Production IG in terms of profit. If they allow the broadcast to catch up with the theatrical and home video releases by the end of the series, they could be losing ticket sales and disc sales since people can just watch it on TV. Why would they do that?

On the other hand, if they do a split-cour release, The rest of the series will return in October, just as the theatrical screening for the finale is available. This could be an effective form of promotion for people who can't wait for the broadcast to get there.

fertygo

On the other hand, if they do a split-cour release, The rest of the series will return in October, just as the theatrical screening for the finale is available. This could be an effective form of promotion for people who can't wait for the broadcast to get there.

That what I feared too, fucking capitalism :(

That means no Nichigo at fall too, two big season. And I bet this will be new business model. Next Gundam/that Tomino Project might do this too lol

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 13

"I don't know. I'm 89 years old!" Is the best line I've ever heard. Also, this episode is so damn touching. Amuro's mom and her interaction with the super messed up Amuro is so moving. GOT DAYUM. That final scene of her just crying in the wasteland as her son rides back off to war is such a tear jerker. I just, WOW. I didn't cry, but I wanted to.

Also, Amuro is going to break down in a massive way sometime in the near future, and when he does, Shinn Asuka will look like such a pathetic jerk in comparison. Has Amuro even slept in the last month or whatever? Like, there was a scene of him eating last episode and he had to basically force himself to do it.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Robotics;Notes 12
tumblr_mgg0lcW8P31qzd219o2_250.gif
tumblr_mgg0lcW8P31qzd219o3_250.gif
tumblr_mgg0lcW8P31qzd219o4_250.gif

The new op visuals are good, still makes me always wish for the gunvarrel anime
What did she mean by its reviews are down since the last episodes, (wasnt it only like four minutes and not even completely animated) was leaked. People are pretty harsh in this world.

Seemed like an odd story to do for episode 12, though I guess they consider 11 the halfway point which had all the reveals? Kai awesome as usual.

Is it heading to awesome direction like Steins;Gate?

Jubern

Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water

Finished watching it for the first time last night. It was broadcasted in France back when I was a kid but I never got to see it for some reason. Hearing some people talking about it around me + the little musical tie-in with Evangelion 3.0 somehow gave me the motivation to go through with this.

But it honestly wasn't that good :/

The worst part of this series is easily its length and pace. There are basically three high points:
- The Tower of Babel arc near the beginning, over by episode 8. Then not a lot happens until...
- The
Nautilus destruction
in episodes 21/22. Really good, but after that the worst part starts, with really NOTHING happening again until 30/31, and story only resuming around 35-ish...
- The finale, which was really nice.

Also, Nadia is a total bitch, Jean deserved better. I lost count of the times I raged at her.

Downsides aside, I really like the world setting and the overall plot for the most parts. Musical score was pretty strong too. Animation and art were uneven, sometime really good, sometime terrible (the episode when they land in Africa, MY GOD).

Characters interactions and relationships were a high point of the series IMO, though the last episode got kinda weird with
Electra carrying Nemo's child? He raised her and was looking at her "like a daughter" last time we saw them... But okay :x
and especially
Marie marrying Sanson, which comes out as pretty creepy. I mean, they got along really well in the series but, uuuuuh...

Mixed feelings all over the place... I don't see myself rewatching this ever again.

wonzo

Banned
I'm interested in checking out R;B now. Huh.
i'll tell you if you should as soon as you can beat me in a game of kill-ballad

tabletdouche.jpg

Actually, I'm wrong. I blame my confused state of mind at the moment, but it would indeed catch up by Summer. By June there should be 4 new episodes out on disc, putting the series at ep18. If they keep airing, which I think they're planning to, it will catch up by August. The disc release for ep19-22 should be October, by which time the entire series should have finished airing.

But this still means that for all of Spring itself, there will be nothing "new" on noitaminA or Nichigo!

I've looked at the Yamato 2199 release schedule again, and it seems that since late last year, they've actually sped it up, probably because they were already making this deal.

Vol5 which contains ep15-18 will be screened in April and released on DVD/BD in May. The intervals are now 3 months, not 4 months. So Vol6 with ep19-22 should screen in July and be released on DVD/BD in August.

I'm starting to suspect that fertygo might be right, and this could be a split-cour broadcast, simply because I think it would make more sense to Bandai and Production IG in terms of profit. If they allow the broadcast to catch up with the theatrical and home video releases by the end of the series, they could be losing ticket sales and disc sales since people can just watch it on TV. Why would they do that?

Ahh, thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just wait and see what happens in the mean time.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 13 MY BOY RENTON GREW A PAIR! Ewwww Dominic is in love with Anemone? But she's creeeeeeepy. I confess that I must eat crow. When this show is good, it really is good.

PSYCHO-PASS 12

This wasn't exactly a exciting return to the series. Better than a recap but a sudden flashback doesn't exactly help with the narrative. Oh sure, we now know more about whatshername, but I don't even expect much from this.

New OP feels completely phoned in, just everything about it.
New ED is completely boring in just about every way they could think of.

cajunator

Banned
Remember to recommend it to me again down the road
This is because you haven't met Nia yet. By the last episode she's not TERRIBLE, but she's still a real pain at first.

Then I started watching Gundam AGE and realized just how much more I could dislike a character.

Yeah I will.
You will probably enjoy it.
Circa 2000's space stuff was still very enjoyable. Eclair even has a lipstick whip.
Oh and then theres the opening

Jex

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 2-3

How can they make being a good anime seem such an easy feat to accomplish? Every single scene is awesome. Like Kamina picking up the cape and Simon tying a scrap to his arm. It's just... Awesome.

Also, I feel that after Yoko it's all downhill in terms of 2D women.

She's more of a girl than a women.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Full Metal Panic didn't look bad, it just had a very generic artstyle.
I'm afraid to look at FMP now. :p

Do they even make money on the screenings? But hey, why not!

Dead

well not really...yet
original FMP is kinda meh, but The Second Raid is legit great. Best show KyoAni has ever done really.

Jex

[...]

What my main issues are with the show are two of its "perfect" aspects:

i) It's so unrelentingly nice. The squabbling fathers and Dera's haughtier moments aside, there is absolutely nothing other than fluffiness emanating from the screen. I get that it's perfect for many anime viewers to have shows like this, but it's not my kind of thing. While the show has mysteries - Tamako's mother's song, for instance, or the identity of Dera's prince or the bride he searches for - they're the kind of wholesome, feelgood mysteries that have very little to do with anything in the long run, and I need something a bit more substantial I guess to hold my interest.

ii) I feel like the script, for all of its quality characterisation, is screaming at the viewer "LOOK AT MY PERFECT CONSTRUCTION! SEE MY SUBPLOTS STARTING UP!" The setup is so well executed that it feels like I can see everything coming from a mile away. I have no doubt that the each subplot will be well paced and given plenty of time in the writing - but does it have to be so obvious about it?

I dunno, maybe this sounds ridiculous, like I'm looking for "bad" things to say about an episode that I do still think is pretty much perfect for what it is. It's just that "what it is" is not something I have any great interest in watching any more of.
Addressing your points in reverse order, I can't really say I'm bothered by a show clearly setting things up for the future in terms of sub-plots, after all if you don't set those things out early on then when they do appear they just arrive out of of nowhere rather than as a natural consequence of what has come before. When that happens it makes me feel like the writer doesn't know where the show is going.

As for your first point, I can't really disagree with you there. In all likelihood this will be another extremely 'safe' KyoAni show with little drama or conflict to speak of because that's not the kind of thing they like to craft as much as general 'fluff'. It bothers me as well because it makes their worlds feel overtly artificial because nothing bad happens in them, still I am well aware that this is because they are aiming to create a 'fluffy' series and as such I will know to avoid the show if I can't put up with that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sasami-san @ Ganbaranai 01:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaXk6PVXqJE

So basically this is zero-tension incest harem Meguca, huh. This was full to the brim with bad characters, reprehensible otaku tropes, Mardock eye poison, explained fuck all, and was still surprisingly watchable even so. Apparently a large percentage of the trailer footage took place in Sasami's room because the filter effects appear mostly to be contained within that one location. It actually looks pretty okay on the whole, even if as usual SHAFT has terribly misplaced priorities regarding what scenes receive the most attention to detail. I don't know why I'm looking past stuff in this that I wouldn't be able to in other shows, but at heart I know I'll probably never stop being deredere for stuff that's SHAFT at its SHAFTiest as much as I try not to be.

Probably the only true sore spot I had with the production was some of the music, which was actively bad during the
action sequence
. Sounded like the kind of "composed in five minutes and performed on an old Casio keyboard" stuff that I associate with the likes of 4kids replacement scores. Surprised that this is the same person responsible for Penguindrum's OST, which I thought was pretty sublime. What I'm surprised didn't take me out of the episode was the CG, but I guess that's probably just because the look and texture of
liquified chocolate
kind of lends itself to
how CG liquids look in anime
anyway. Also,
was that seriously a chocolate Kanada Dragon
?

And since everyone is doing revised waifu rankings after watching the episode: Yellow and Red are shit-tier. Black and Sasami are whatever.

duckroll

Do they even make money on the screenings? But hey, why not!

Yes, they definitely do. It's a limited number of screenings mostly in the city areas, they also sell the blu-ray with the storyboard books for like 9000yen at the door. And the movie pamphlet booklet for 1000yen. It's a pretty well oiled piece of machinery!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, they definitely do. It's a limited number of screenings mostly in the city areas, they also sell the blu-ray with the storyboard books for like 9000yen at the door. And the movie pamphlet booklet for 1000yen. It's a pretty well oiled piece of machinery!
Jesus. lol

Maybe that's how all anime should be sold. Why even bother with TV when you can get them to pay you even faster?!

I'm curious :)chitanda) - do those sales charts include those theatre sales? Probably not, I assume.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We're going to have problems, aren't we.

"Cute girl obsessed with eroge" might be my least-favorite waifu archetype.

Don't quote me on this in 30 minutes when I post Haganai S2 impressions saying that Meat is the best girl in the harem.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tootsie Rolls are awful.

edit: Real talk: best scene in episode one of Ganbaranai or whatever was when Sasami was changing into her school clothes and all of a sudden BAM beam of light to cover her naughty bits. I burst out laughing.

Soma

Tootsie Rolls are awful.

edit: Real talk: best scene in episode one of Ganbaranai or whatever was when Sasami was changing into her school clothes and all of a sudden BAM beam of light to cover her naughty bits. I burst out laughing.

Such a good scene we get to see it twice in the same episode!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Robotics;Notes 12
Lousy. This show is still bad, and it feels the same to me as always. Some people keep talking about how it hit some marker and everything got crazy but I didn't notice it, and this episode was business as usual. The only thing I see changing is the art gradually getting worse. Robo;Notes is dealing with phobias and emotions in a way that is simultaneously demeaning and dull. Throw in some flashbacks. Throw in some lost photographs. Throw in some tears. The more I think about it the more I loath what a lazy production this is.

New OP is way worse (but I really liked the old one). New ED is zzzer than the show but still an improvement from the unwatchable ED1.

Dresden

haganai next - 01

Kinda glad I caught up to the manga so I could jump into this right away. At least it doesn't look like dogshit anymore, and the opening is mediocre in all the safe ways, unlike the previous one.

y3mTHl.jpg

It's clear that Yozora is the best girl now. The second half of the episode was boring as hell, as focused on Meat as it was. I say this as someone who was team meat before you guys even knew about this series. Meat has no appeal left - she's boring, her butler and father is more interesting, the anime portrays her dimensions in the most unflattering way possible, she has a fang, and she's a child molester. Not that I hate her or anything.

Sasami-san 1

What the hell did I just watch? This is like Chaos;Head, but with even less direction and coherency. Not keeping up with this nonsense.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
haganai next - 01

Kinda glad I caught up to the manga so I could jump into this right away. At least it doesn't look like dogshit anymore, and the opening is mediocre in all the safe ways, unlike the previous one.

y3mTHl.jpg

It's clear that Yozora is the best girl now. The second half of the episode was boring as hell, as focused on Meat as it was. I say this as someone who was team meat before you guys even knew about this series. Meat has no appeal left - she's boring, her butler and father is more interesting, the anime portrays her dimensions in the most unflattering way possible, she has a fang, and she's a child molester. Not that I hate her or anything.

This was always obvious and always the truth.

team yozora for life

Eureka Seven 13 MY BOY RENTON GREW A PAIR! Ewwww Dominic is in love with Anemone? But she's creeeeeeepy. I confess that I must eat crow. When this show is good, it really is good.

Yeah, this is why sticking with the show pays off. And it gets much better compared to there, too.

CorvoSol

I'm afraid to look at FMP now. :p

FMP, Fummoffu, and especially the Second Raid are my favorite anime ever (even if Nadesico is better). Watch 'em. Sosuke's cool, Mao and Kurz are hilarious, and the Arbalest is one slick mamma jamma.

original FMP is kinda meh, but The Second Raid is legit great. Best show KyoAni has ever done really.

I disagree with your first point, but The Second Raid is definitely what cemented my love of the show. So good. THE HAIRCUT SCENE.

Can't wait for this moeblob shit to tank so they'll finally return to FMP.

I would kill a moeblob for more FMP.

You are going to be waiting a long time forever.

KNIFE IN MY INTERNAL ORGANS.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FMP, Fummoffu, and especially the Second Raid are my favorite anime ever (even if Nadesico is better). Watch 'em. Sosuke's cool, Mao and Kurz are hilarious, and the Arbalest is one slick mamma jamma.

I disagree with your first point, but The Second Raid is definitely what cemented my love of the show. So good. THE HAIRCUT SCENE.

I would kill a moeblob for more FMP.

KNIFE IN MY INTERNAL ORGANS.

I know how you feel. All these brotherfucker shows and yet... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom