• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Nobody liked Yozora in S1. Not even Dresden. So probably not an always obvious truth. I haven't watched Next yet, but I don't remember liking her.

man that feels like so long ago. Catching up on the manga gave me a whole new appreciation for Yozora. Can't ignore character development like the haircut and the haircut.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 01

ibLnRWdBuGnCD.gif

That was something.

I do like the weird direction going on and the nice art style. Even the brother creeps me out after this episode. Also not very creative on hiding his face either. Why not use a mask? You'll still look silly, just not so awkward while doing so.

So far, Red = Black > Grey > Yellow

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FMP, Fummoffu, and especially the Second Raid are my favorite anime ever (even if Nadesico is better). Watch 'em. Sosuke's cool, Mao and Kurz are hilarious, and the Arbalest is one slick mamma jamma.
I own the complete series. I'm just afraid that they'll look ugly like Haruhi season 1.

Jex

Sasami-san @ Ganbaranai 01:
[...]Probably the only true sore spot I had with the production was some of the music, which was actively bad during the
action sequence
. Sounded like the kind of "composed in five minutes and performed on an old Casio keyboard" stuff that I associate with the likes of 4kids replacement scores. Surprised that this is the same person responsible for Penguindrum's OST, which I thought was pretty sublime.[...].
With regards to the comparison with Penguin Drum's music it's worth nothing that Ikuhara was actually the sound director of that show as well as the overall director so he was intimately involved in the music as well, which makes a big difference to how well the music and the show meld.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Haganai NEXT 01:

You know, sometimes I wonder how I made it through the first season when I wanted to murder Yozora within five seconds of her appearing in this episode. Haganai has such a ridiculously imbalanced harem in terms of quality and yet it still always manages to be pretty fun, but it certainly helped this episode even more that Kobato and shitty loli nun received appropriately small amounts of screen time. Budget boost had amazing results, too. Direction feels sleeker and sharper, no scenes overstay their welcome, there were some new flourishes like using comedic sound effects for emphasis. Not bad at all.

The last moment of the episode was just.........oh god

CorvoSol

I own the complete series. I'm just afraid that they'll look ugly like Haruhi season 1.

I don't remember any derpy faces, if that's what you mean, but I never know what looking good is on GAF.

Rah Xephon 1

This show is weird. Like, tops weird. Like, one of the weirdest anime I've seen in awhile. And if the two weird flying singing ladies are indication of the mecha designs for the show, I dunno how I feel yet.

cajunator

Banned
I don't remember any derpy faces, if that's what you mean, but I never know what looking good is on GAF.

Rah Xephon 1

This show is weird. Like, tops weird. Like, one of the weirdest anime I've seen in awhile. And if the two weird flying singing ladies are indication of the mecha designs for the show, I dunno how I feel yet.

I warned you it was weird lol.

Robotics;Notes 12

Well, this was yet another not terribly exciting return episode from a two week break. But, at least it wasn't a flashback or a recap so it wins!

It was a good character episode at the very least. I just fear the whiplash I'm gonna get with shit gets real. Whenever that is.

Instro

Saint Seiya Omega 39

Disappointing that this gold saint vs gold saint fight ends up being one of the ugliest episodes in a long while.

Dresden

sasami-san @ ganbaranai - 01

despite everything, this was pretty fun. Now onto the episode itself...

...the beginning is so voyeuristic but in that weird self-reflective way, knowingly so, and yet being meta about it is no excuse for mediocrity either. The whole codependency between Sasami and her brother is stated outright and it doesn't go anywhere beyond that. The whole thing is akin to a neo-nazi eating a bagel while carving a swastika into his forehead.

That action stuff later in the episode is bad, too, like most of sasami-san. There's never a good sense of location and all the 'action' things the characters do take place in a vacuum where they flail and twirl about with no relation to the environment around them.

So it's like, all kinda bad, and yet by the end I knew I'd watch more. Maybe I did go blind.

OfXTLl.jpg

And yet she never turned away.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
One Piece 579

Overlaying Film Z footage with We Go made me chuckle and then weep bitterly as I realized I wont be able to see the movie by the time I graduate in three+ years. Looked really good. Ive been waiting so long for one moment in this and it was so good even with Luffy's voice and silly face. Hope this arc is a good improvement over the manga form and cant wait for
Traffy

whoaaaaa, it's FUCKING
PUNK HAZARD

like, even if it eventually became agonizingly protracted, those first few chapters in the arc had me believing for a while that One Piece had finally returned to form. Wish I had the time and motivation to catch up on the 80 episodes I'm behind just to see those chapters animated.
yes I know I could just watch them now, but that's not the warrior's way.

She's more of a girl than a women.

Perhaps the first time that I ever questioned the trajectory that I was on as an anime fan was when I engaged in internet debates during TTGL's airing defending the fact that Yoko was depicted as she was in spite of being fourteen because it was, according to then-me, "likely that the planet had a longer orbit time than Earth". Yeah...

Girls und Panzer 9
I'm almost caught up, so I can wait and be misserable like everyone else!
But this was a great episode, my heart was pounding throughout the whole last part. Even if I know how it's going to end up, I was still nervous. Still, I really love this show, and I'm glad others have been liking it too. Team Hippo are the best, they always seem to be key players in every match. Poor freshmen, always getting shot down. Why hasn't the student council president always been the one working the gun? Anyways, fun show is fun. Panzer vor!

Jex

Perhaps the first time that I ever questioned the trajectory that I was on as an anime fan was when I engaged in internet debates during TTGL's airing defending the fact that Yoko was depicted as she was in spite of being fourteen because it was, according to then-me, "likely that the planet had a longer orbit time than Earth". Yeah...

That's when you know it's time to back away slowly from the thread and possibly your computer.

Narag

Wounded Man 4

Well it started off nice enough...

as he confronts his assassin and takes her captive. Then it started going downhill...

when she attacked him on his boat while they were out to sea. He decided the only way to tame her was via rape. To her credit, she kept trying to kill him before realizing she was in love with him and slit her wrists. She's saved by him and she saves him from being killed later on and things become consensual and what the fuck ever. smh

Kazzy

Girls und Panzer 9

Why hasn't the student council president always been the one working the gun?

Because she's lazy and typically leaves Momo (who is useless by the way!) to work two positions. Which translates as: it's an effective way to ratchet up the tension.
And it's probably also for the eventual reveal that Anzu is actually quite handy behind the gun. Well, when she can be bothered!

Jex

[Sasami-san@Ganbaranai] - 1

I must really dislike myself because I watched this episode despite reading all the (as it turns out, accurate) negative impressions. Yet I don't hate that much so I actually turned the episode off half way through. It's been a long time since I couldn't even sit through a complete first episode of something, not since Deadman Wonderland.

It's not just that the show is poorly director, that that the directing is bad or any of the visual weaknesses. Everything about the 'story' and characters are, well, exactly as you would expect from the premise of "hikikomoro girl has a brother who looks after her and she secretly spies on him as he interacts with females who vie for his affection'. I understand that, in terms of awful self aware otaku shit the snake has been eating it's own tail for a while now but I'm surprised they've found first depths to explore in terms of this nonsense. After a cursory examination people might query "isn't that just like Bakemonogatari" and the answer would be that while both works are self-aware that doesn't make them the same. The monogatari series has, for the most part, good characters that are well written who are also commentaries on certain character stereotypes. Admittedly some -monogatari characters are pretty worthless but at least in Bakemonogatari there was actually something to latch onto in the way of characters and relationships. The same is not the case here where everything is a shallow vehicle for some joke or other.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/5678/Evangelion-Anatomy/ Feels like I'm reading a Kennedy assassination site what with all the extra footage comparison/breakdown.
I'm talking about waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back though. Like, back when Rebuild had just been announced. Shit was even crazier. It may have been around the time Evangelion 2 was released and people were all bitching about the dumb revelations.
OMG PANSPERMIA

Instro

Vividred 1

jkahpJmsSwfgL.jpg

That was fairly enjoyable. There's a couple in your face ass shots, but for the most part it was pretty wholesome. Visuals are colorful and generally good, music is upbeat with some ok tracks in there, some pretty funny scenes too. The CG was not so bad either. Seems like a mix of Strike Witches and Lagrange? I find myself liking the characters here more than those shows though, at last from what we have seen so far. The pacing is really quite good here I think, they introduce quite a few plot points and character motivations fairly rapidly without getting confusing or wordy.

Cool transformation scene in there too.

If it's any consolation, I read it all, Chet!
Well, it's not like I have much to say anyways. I'm no where as good as like Nafe or Jexhius.
Because she's lazy and typically leaves Momo (who is useless by the way!) to work two positions. Which translates as: it's an effective way to ratchet up the tension.
And it's probably also for the eventual reveal that Anzu is actually quite handy behind the gun. Well, when she can be bothered!
Well yeah, it was more of a rhetorical question. Still, they might have stood more of a chance in their first exhibition match if she tried, and you'd think she would when there's the whole
the school is going to close if they lose.

Jex

Vividred 1

jkahpJmsSwfgL.jpg

That was fairly enjoyable. There's a couple in your face ass shots, but for the most part it was pretty wholesome. Visuals are colorful and generally good, music is upbeat with some ok tracks in there, some pretty funny scenes too. The CG was not so bad either. Seems like a mix of Strike Witches and Lagrange? I find myself liking the characters here more than those shows though, at last from what we have seen so far. The pacing is really quite good here I think, they introduce quite a few plot points and character motivations fairly rapidly without getting confusing or wordy.

Cool transformation scene in there too.

I don't know if that sentence even makes sense in my head. It doesn't really compute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom