• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[C] - The Money and Soul of Possibility - 01

I randomly picked a show out of my backlog and this came up. I do remember hearing some complaints about the show back before Tsuritama aired, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Solid first episode. I thought the scenes with Masakaki & Kimimaro had some great direction and were even a bit creepy thanks to the twisting of perspectives multiple times. I've already simmered down my expectations, so I hope I enjoy the rest of the show.

The ED was lovely. I enjoy sci-fi/abstract animation, and the song was pretty good.
I miss school food punishment, rpg one of their best songs and good visuals. C has a really good dub.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
G5zoWl.jpg

This guy was weird. Only person I didn't like in EP1.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Coffee vs Tea discussion gogogo!

But we already did this! It just divides us even further! I prefer coffee most days (as I make it from a Japanese kettle), but I love tea. If I have tea, I prefer to whisk matcha in a ceramic bowl and drink it out of a saucer. The body, flavor, temperature, and beneficial properties are all better, and it feels very zen.

I guess if I were living in a concentration camp or something I'd suck it up and drink some earl grey.

Jarmel

Banned
Cool then.

I just finished being LTTP for Eureka Seven.

I liked the series overall. It was a bit uneven and some of characters were poorly developed. The art was good with some gorgeous sequences here and there.

I also watched the movie. God, that was bad. The first five minutes or so had some fantastic art, made me really excited about the movie I was going to be watching but then.....

Just started on Eureka Seven: AO but not far enough to form an opinion except......goddamn Bones stepped up the visuals! Very nice.

lol, I forgot I recommended AO to you.

Noirulus

[C] - The Money and Soul of Possibility - 02

Why so much CG? Why? Everything else was decent, but using CG for character animation is downright unpleasant and full of uncanny valley. Hell, at least Masakaki was bearable but Msyu was just completely weird.

CorvoSol

Gundam AGE 15

Let me just start this by saying that, had Flit been forced to kill Desil, my opinion of this show would've been radically altered. A show in which Flit's obsessive drive to be a Savior had forced him to kill the girl he like-liked and a little boy, and lead two ethnic groups to utter ruin, ending with an empty Flit unable to comfort a wildly sobbing Emily after he shot down the entire crew of the Diva once Grodek had revealed himself as an agent of Flit's mother, who had orchestrated all of this, would have been the best thing ever.

But no. The show doesn't even dwell on the fact that the UE are human. They don't even go by anything other than UE. Instead we have to have Flit masturbate to Yurin's stupid ribbon in teal heaven. While fighting a giant brown pickle. OH LOOK OUT TWELVE YEAR OLD WITH A GUN! And now Flit, as God, pronounces that anyone who behaves without his permission is not human.

OH GOD THE UE ARE LIKE A CRAPPY VERSION OF THE JOVIAN LIZARDS. UGH

OH FOR THE LOVE. EVERY TIME FLIT HAS TO STAIN HIMSELF, SOMEONE COMES ALONG AND BAILS HIM OUT. FOR THE LOVE. Flit just HAS to be perfect. Instead of Flit killing the bad guy and bearing the burden of robbing a kid of his parent, Grodek has to do it.

What were they thinking when they made Flit be so perfect? Even Kira had to get his hands dirty and be wrong once or twice.

BluWacky

Anime catch-up time...

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 1

I liked the Chocoslovakia pun - particularly as I went on a chocolate making course this afternoon.

Otherwise, after the frankly distasteful opening to the show and the idiotic nature of the frog girl, I thought there were a few nice ideas in the execution - the filter over Sasami's home, or the ED - drowned out by a lot of seemingly clever but actually irritating stylistic things, and otaku stuff I'm not interested in. I'm no clearer about what this show is supposed to be than I was when I started watching it, either.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 1

:kayos :kayos :kayos

Is "something ridiculous happening" the same thing as a gag? I gave up five minutes in, too much mania without structure for me.

The Unlimited 1

Good effects animation - maybe close to Code:Breaker in quality - but without much in the way of atmosphere or an interesting narrative.

Vividred Operation 1

While I'm normally all for puns, I really don't like the character naming scheme in this show. All the girls are named after their colour schemes (Akane, Aoi, Momo), and from looking at Wikipedia their surnames tell you what order they'll get introduced in. Super cheesy.

Leaving aside the pervy buttshots, this is a pretty decent opening episode for a modern magical girl story. None of the characters are particularly irritating (although they're hardly original), the animation is solid, and the music helps a lot to make the show seem dramatic. I guess it remains to be seen whether it gets particularly pervy or not, or whether it has anywhere interesting to go with its storyline.

DiGiKerot

Anime catch-up time...

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 1

I liked the Chocoslovakia pun - particularly as I went on a chocolate making course this afternoon.

Otherwise, after the frankly distasteful opening to the show and the idiotic nature of the frog girl, I thought there were a few nice ideas in the execution - the filter over Sasami's home, or the ED - drowned out by a lot of seemingly clever but actually irritating stylistic things, and otaku stuff I'm not interested in. I'm no clearer about what this show is supposed to be than I was when I started watching it, either.

FWIW, Omo posted a pretty interesting analysis of the episode earlier today that at least makes some sense of what's going on.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 15

Man, the show just WANTS me to ship Mirai and Noah. No idea what Sela was planning in this episode, but hey, gotta have one stupid, half-hot-blooded girl per Gundam, so I guess she'll be pulling the role. Also with shades on she looks exactly like Char. EXACTLY. And for a guy with no special powers and what I might call the single most basic Gundam in the series, Amuro still manages to be a total badass in the Gunman.

Dresden

I don't feel like this is a valid... anything.

Yeah, it's not a whole lot of . . . anything. The rest is sound, if shallow. There isn't much to work with in Sasami-san outside of basic references.

Feels like the opening makes it clear, anyways, if you sat through the lazy mess. It shows Sasami dressed in a miko's garb while her brother marches in, and later her brother does the Haruhi dance thing before kicking off the whole chocolatey mess.

And it stops after Sasami is presented/offered to the brother (which he even states!) as a chocolate statue, and the red-sister mentions that it was the only way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's not a whole lot of . . . anything. The rest is sound, if shallow. There isn't much to work with in Sasami-san outside of basic references.

Feels like the opening makes it clear, anyways, if you sat through the lazy mess. It shows Sasami dressed in a miko's garb while her brother marches in, and later her brother does the Haruhi dance thing before kicking off the whole chocolatey mess.

And it stops after Sasami is presented/offered to the brother (which he even states!) as a chocolate statue, and the red-sister mentions that it was the only way.
But did the top stop spinning?

CorvoSol

Is this one of those incest things? Why are those so big in Japan?

cajunator

Banned
What's the name of the upcoming anime with huge boats? (that's a vague description, I know)
I remember that someone posted the characters weeks ago.

Gargantia of awesome.

Here, have one.

niceboat_kotonohas_zpse158ad92.jpg

I want this bag. This joke never gets old.

cajunator went to bed (I assume). That's what's going on.

Well, yeah actually I did. 10 AM - 4:30 PM.

Yeah, I guess I can see them wanting to keep the idea of the girls speaking a foreign language but it doesn't really make sense you're right. It reminds me when watching a YouTube ad for the English dub or something the girls pronounced the title like "Kay-On" instead of "Kay-Own". I know that's how it looks with the spelling but it doesn't really make sense now either. What is "Kay-On" supposed to stand for?

Did Aria have any physical bonuses as well or was it all on disk?

The same for me. I know some like cajunator have mentioned they like figurines and posters and stuff like that but I'm only really interested in the music or art really. If a release just has all that other stuff then I'd rather get just the show(or game) as part of a standard release.

Haha, yeah, I was just joking around.

K-On is roughly translated as Light music club apparently. Or at least part of the title.

Aria didnt ocme with extra swag but it does have on disc stuff that is really cool. Now I have four big ARIA boxes sitting there and they stand out on the shelf. In a good way of course.

Okay, this thread has definitely turned weird.

You know this thread was always weird little mascot-kun.

*sips coffee harder!* >:-|

I'm going to try coffee with a tea bag in it tonight. YOLO.

nah, bro. Almond!

Most soy milk is too processed!

I like that stuff called Rice Dream.

I don't feel like this is a valid... anything.

"Because, Shinbo" would not normally be a valid explanation, but in this case it is.

From the New World 15

Not really as compelling as the previous episode until a hypothesis was brought up.
Could Squelor have managed to capture a False Minoshiro or whatever and gotten access to some books or something. I think that whole replacing humans idea Satoru suggested makes it way more interesting now than finding Maria, especially since I guess its been two years since they last saw him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I guess I can see them wanting to keep the idea of the girls speaking a foreign language but it doesn't really make sense you're right. It reminds me when watching a YouTube ad for the English dub or something the girls pronounced the title like "Kay-On" instead of "Kay-Own". I know that's how it looks with the spelling but it doesn't really make sense now either. What is "Kay-On" supposed to stand for?
You know, I should watch the Kyoto episodes just to see how they handle the scene where they give Azu-cat her "character" to see how they even tried to localize that part. lol

Did Aria have any physical bonuses as well or was it all on disk?
Only for pre-order bonuses. I came in much too late for those though... one of the bonuses was a Aria-sachou toy. :(

cajunator

Banned
On the other side of this work night lies Chihayafuru S2 and episode 2 of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. Worthy things to wait for.
See yall later.

Pooya

girls und panzer - 5

damn, that was infinitely entertaining, actually it looks pretty good too now.

I think I'm going to stay up tonight and watch the rest. /hooked

I think I will reinstall Company of Heroes too. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom