• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm going to try coffee with a tea bag in it tonight. YOLO.

Way ahead of you. It's gross. If it were even the slightest bit good it would already be a thing by now. You can however, put espresso into regular coffee. Some places call that a red eye. It's alright when you're hung over. Otherwise, it's all about that straight espresso or delicious black coffee!

cajunator

Banned
Way ahead of you. It's gross. If it were even the slightest bit good it would already be a thing by now. You can however, put espresso into regular coffee. Some places call that a red eye. It's alright when you're hung over. Otherwise, it's all about that straight espresso or delicious black coffee!
still going to try it

CorvoSol

In Europe, incest in royal families is a slightly distasteful quirk that no-one really likes to talk about except to mock them.

In anime, incest is a selling point.

No I meant the Egyptian thing.

Eureka Seven 15

So this was a pretty slow episode, but the last couple minutes of it still paid off nicely. Renton with balls means that, like all True Men, Renton has to learn not to be a cocky bastard. I'm not sure if Eureka is pissed because Renton killed a ton of guys with the Nirvash, or because silly anime robot personality ish. In any case, the pay off of the episode was Renton's uncle, who had spent the entire episode trying to lie to keep Renton safe, is taken off to jail, looking pretty upset at the same time that Renton is having his super cocky moment, illustrating that Renton's actions are getting people hurt without his knowledge.

So while the episode was slow, the end of it was pretty good.

Jintor

God help me, but I was reading up on the TVTropes entry on Strike Witches and they manage to make it sound halfway palatable with their focus on the alternate history side of things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For Nafe:
tBsDrl.jpg

For what it's worth, they just gloss over this part and say "Light music club".

Also, Mio's base is called "Elizabase". lol

God help me, but I was reading up on the TVTropes entry on Strike Witches and they manage to make it sound halfway palatable with their focus on the alternate history side of things.
It's in the tradition of Upotte and Panzer Girls. :p
Well, I guess I should say it's the precursor. lol

Quasar

Watched episode 2 of Oreshura.

Not as entertaining as the first episode I don't think, but I still found it enjoyable. Whilst cliche I did enjoy Chiwa's reaction to it all. As well as the calculating nature of Masuzu.

Going to give it a couple more episodes I think.

Kazzy

Never underestimate their ability to formulate something coherent, amidst the ridiculous!

CorvoSol

Rah Xephon 2

This show is weird. But here are my predictions: Mishima isn't real. She only exists in Kamina's head. Kamina's mom is the Gendo Ikari. All of this is just an alternate reality Shinji Ikari is experiencing during Third Impact.

ALL ANIME ARE JUST ALTERNATE REALITIES SHINJI IKARI IS EXPERIENCING DURING THIRD IMPACT.

cajunator

Banned
For Nafe:
tBsDrl.jpg

Also, Mio's base is called "Elizabase". lol
It's in the tradition of Upotte and Panzer Girls. :p
Well, I guess I should say it's the precursor. lol

That episode with Yui's gitta and Mio's elizabass was adorable!

Quasar

I feel the same. They anime builds up great tension in the karuta matches, and makes them a lot of fun to watch.

Plus, just about every match in the series has had some great character moments in them.

Personally I found karuta just fascinating. Though at the same time I'm impressed at the abilities of folks to make a card game visually interesting.

You know, I should watch the Kyoto episodes just to see how they handle the scene where they give Azu-cat her "character" to see how they even tried to localize that part. lol
They basically just translate that scene just like if it were just subs. It's one of the things that bothers me in the dub. They never really try to make the show more palatable for a new audience, you know, the whole reason dubs exist.
Though for the whole Kyoto dialect, they change it to ye olde English. Though it would have been funnier if they localized it like the manga did.
hsTDD.png

No I meant the Egyptian thing.
The Egyptian gods Osiris and Isis are brother and sister, as well as husband and wife.

CorvoSol

The Egyptian gods Osiris and Isis are brother and sister, as well as husband and wife.

Ah. Well, I mean, there's the whole Adam and Eve thing, where regardless of their relationship, their children would have to get it on, but I mean, nobody tries to market that . . .

Nafe

K-On is roughly translated as Light music club apparently. Or at least part of the title.

Aria didnt ocme with extra swag but it does have on disc stuff that is really cool. Now I have four big ARIA boxes sitting there and they stand out on the shelf. In a good way of course.

Ah, so Aria is about three seasons long then hm? I didn't know how long the show was having not seen it yet.

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear as I know what it stands for. I was meaning having it pronounced like "own" works as it's short for Ongaku or music but changing the pronunciation to "on", like turning a light switch on, it now loses the original meaning. I guess it's like Chet mentioned though, in that it still probably wouldn't make sense either way anyway in English.

You know, I should watch the Kyoto episodes just to see how they handle the scene where they give Azu-cat her "character" to see how they even tried to localize that part. lol

Only for pre-order bonuses. I came in much too late for those though... one of the bonuses was a Aria-sachou toy. :(

Do they actually translate Azu-nyan as Azu-cat?

Haha, I haven't seen Aria yet so I had to look up which character that was.

For Nafe:
http://i.imgur.com/tBsDrl.jpg[IMG]

Also, Mio's base is called "Elizabase". lol[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. After [B]Chet[/B]'s earlier comment I was going to ask if they just refer to it/themselves as the "light music club" and kind of ignore the original Japanese meanings or connections.

Isn't there a part, maybe with those keychains, where the girls go through each one though saying "ke", "i", "o","n", "bu"? Would they just go "Lah","eet",mus","ick","club" or something to that effect in English?

Elizabase is pretty good though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They basically just translate that scene just like if it were just subs. It's one of the things that bothers me in the dub. They never really try to make the show more palatable for a new audience, you know, the whole reason dubs exist.
Though for the whole Kyoto dialect, they change it to ye olde English. Though it would have been funnier if they localized it like the manga did.
http://i.imgur.com/hsTDD.png
Oh man, I didn't even think of the accents. lol

If they ever do the movie, it's going to be "hilarious". :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I actually have no clue. lol

Haha, I haven't seen Aria yet so I had to look up which character that was.
Best mascot character in animu.
Ok, thanks. After Chet's earlier comment I was going to ask if they just refer to it/themselves as the "light music club" and kind of ignore the original Japanese meanings or connections.

Isn't there a part, maybe with those keychains, where the girls go through each one though saying "ke", "i", "o","n", "bu"? Would they just go "Lah","eet",mus","ick","club" or something to that effect in English?
In that scene anyway, they don't bother. But they must figure that anyone watching would already understand the context anyway.

Branduil

From the New World 15

iZmhuliBMcqkH.jpg

i4u8gt4XbpGEf.jpg

iqJZezVd5KImL.jpg

Machiavelli wishes he had this much swag.

Squealer is a true hero to humanity. While human civilization decays and eats itself in an attempt to control its barbaric instincts, Squealer is busy rediscovering society's lost technology and reinventing democracy. Looks to me like our heroes are just jealous that a lowly queerat has the guts to make hard decisions and the courage to liberate oppressed colonies.

For real though, there's no way Maria and Mamoru are going to make it out of this alive.

Another low-budget episode, but still effective because of the strong writing and decent storyboarding.

cajunator

Banned
Nafe, there are three seasons of Aria.
Aria the Animation
Aria the Natural
Aria the Origination

Personally I found karuta just fascinating. Though at the same time I'm impressed at the abilities of folks to make a card game visually interesting.

Same.
Karuta is pretty neat looking imo.
I dont know a lick of japanese, but it appears to be one of those "minute to learn, lifetime to master" sorts of games.

wonzo

Banned
Unfortunately, one recent project to do so didn't pan out (http://semihen.wordpress.com/), but maybe you are interested in helping with some task!

It always happens the same with TAGRO; there is some of the material available but no resources for translation or an incomplete one (see P&SwG), I'd prefer on this cases nothing at all available, nothing started and later abandoned, so I can't miss the lack of updates...
Man, that really sucks. I don't really know what I could offer to the project though, maybe editing if my grasp on grammar wasn't complete shit. :(

No, they leave it as Azu-nyan. KyoAni did a better job of coming up with a localized nickname for her. lol
In fact, they leave a lot of words untranslated like sempai and kohai, which really bug me. It's not like they're untranslatable words you know!

Elizabase is pretty good though.
They just go about the scene like what people would translate it for subs. Then again, I have no idea how one would even try to localize that part beyond just taking the whole scene out.
Oh man, I didn't even think of the accents. lol

If they ever do the movie, it's going to be "hilarious". :p

I have no idea what they'll do for the movie. It's not like they could just pretend it's some other European country.

Mysterique Sign (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ep 9, i think)
tumblr_mgjf41veHO1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mgjf71q5Om1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Odd comparisons are often funny and poor Koizumi couldnt even play their daily board game together. Some of the dialogue is odd as it seemed like Kyon was almost introducing us to each character for the first time again, though the reference back to the stuff that happened at the Bamboo Episode
him drawing on the ground the symbols three years ago
was kind of a bit pleasing in an odd way.

In this episode the
Cricket think
looked so odd in comparison to the animation etc though at least the visuals during the big moment looked great. Kyon had hilarious lines all throughtout and the the final minute
that it chose earth to hibernate on and to think the internet was the thing that gave birth to this evil
made me laugh.

I think Nagato must have some larger role things happening way too smoothly unless shes just really bored

Jintor

Remember that you're watching it out of airing order, so originally he was introducing a few characters for the first time... I think.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Where's that "Stop Sexualizing Precures" img at? It's needed again.

C83 doujin starring Nao and Akane just happened.

By Digital Accel Works

CorvoSol

By Digital Accel Works

Maybe not the yellow one, but the red one is totally the kind of girl I'd be drooling over in junior high.

Nafe, there are three seasons of Aria.
Aria the Animation
Aria the Natural
Aria the Origination
And it goes

Aria the Animation = Decent
Aria the Natural = Great
Aria the Origination = Masterpiece

Damn I miss Aria =(. It was so relaxing to watch one episode before going to bed. Put smile on my face everytime.

cajunator

Banned
And it goes

Aria the Natural = Great

Damn I miss Aria =(. It was so relaxing to watch one episode before going to bed. Put smile on face everytime.

I watch it now and then when Im off work.
An episode here or there.
through about half of season one.

Yet another reason why airing order is the only true order.
DITTO .

By Digital Accel Works

I see nothing wrong here .

Cool music but a great soundtrack is not what i need ..i need answers ..hopefully not as some kind of final episode twist..

Wait that's what gainax does ....it's shaft here so we should be fine ...
we won't know at all

Noirulus

And it goes

Aria the Natural = Great

Damn I miss Aria =(. It was so relaxing to watch one episode before going to bed. Put smile on my face everytime.

I was literally crying at the end of the last episode of Origination. My favorite anime series.

Stulaw

How did you all watch it like that, wouldnt you like not know the events he refers too, etc?

I think anyone who likes to watch Haruhi in original broadcast order is a masochist. This is why I read the Manga, which is in complete order of the story, that and I'm not sure when the next animé series will be made if it does get made, but the last light novel should be coming out this year, and that means an end to a great series.

Anyway, be prepared for Endless Eight (Ep 12-19), it's probably best not to watch every single one of them, it wears most people down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom