• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you all watch it like that, wouldnt you like not know the events he refers too, etc?

You wouldn't, but the story doesn't suffer for it. If it's something important, they get to it eventually. A lot times, saying something happened and then seeing the results of it are good enough.

The other thing to consider is that the show was made to be aired in broadcast order, so care is taken that it's actually watchable like that.

Not gonna stop.
Aria is really enjoyable when I have to relax, it just takes a certain mood to want to watch it.

Yep. It's ultimate relaxing anime. Damn I would like to live in Neo Venezia...

I was literally crying at the end of the last episode of Origination. My favorite anime series.

Same and it was not because it was sad like it's when you usually cry. Those final episodes were just so touching and beautiful.

fertygo

I think anyone who likes to watch Haruhi in original broadcast order is a masochist. This is why I read the Manga, which is in complete order of the story, that and I'm not sure when the next animé series will be made if it does get made, but the last light novel should be coming out this year, and that means an end to a great series.

Anyway, be prepared for Endless Eight (Ep 12-19), it's probably best not to watch every single one of them, it wears most people down.

Disappearance in manga was nothing compared to KyoAni movie.

I don't like the franchise too much, but its was worth it for me for the movie.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water 11
N5age.png
more brown girl fanservice
Surely you could have at least taken the eyes? I don't like being reminded that the stuff I eat was once a living thing. The heart-shaped tomatoes are a great decoration though (where do they get the tomatoes anyway?).
Some great reaction shots in this episode. I was gonna say that this surely should have been a Sato storyboard, but a quick check on wiki tells me he didn't work with Anno until Evangelion. Oh well.

edit: So the Nautilus is
powered by an annihilation engine
? Nadia confirmed for Evangelion sequel.

You know, I bet you could fit every GAINAX work into a timeline if you really tried it.
Where's that "Stop Sexualizing Precures" img at? It's needed again.
Here you go:

Nafe

Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou)

Episode 3

fqE6i.jpg

Poor Lafiel, that was a mean trick her father pulled on her when she was younger. :(

I had actually watched this a little while ago now but was originally busy and then with the thread moving so fast I didn't want to post any comments only to have them get drowned out minutes later. :(

I kind of like how the show gives brief details of information about the world and it's past before each episode. It kind of reminds me of the first few episodes of Shin Sekai Yori in how it would show little bits of the past. In this case though it's more of a monologue than showing you through the visuals.

I'm still really enjoying this show and am kind of warming up to the character designs more I think as I kind of liked the look of all the different Abh crew members. This episode sees the return of that annoying oversaturation with the light though which seemed more subdued last episode.

Something I found momentarily amusing was the captain of the ship tells the one bridge member to start a countdown from thirty seconds out to which he acknowledges. Just after that he starts counting down from fifteen though. I suppose it was for the sake of the audience that you're not sitting there actually listening to someone countdown for thirty seconds of the episode but it was still kind of funny with how sudden it was.

The animation and effects both when the ship is firing up it's engines and taking off to just after where it's entering the type of hyperspace were pretty neat.

Personally I like the bits of "technobabble" that goes on in the show. I always liked the topic of space and science and would reads books or watch shows about different things so when the captain was giving a brief talk about how the idea of their pocket space worked when traveling I thought it was interesting. You do also sort of get that this is based off of a novel the way each bridge member was briefly shown identifying their name and position. You could see the book detailing each one and then that's how it was transferred to the visual medium to speeds things up a bit.

Both the last episode and this episode really not a whole lot technically happened in that it was more just characters talking. I always found it interesting though as you found out little bits of more information about them or how the world works and how people think differently in the world. Just Jinto's questioning Lafiel why they had the painting onboard the ship,why those types of paintings specifically and what emotions Lafiel got from looking at them and her wondering the same for him.

There was actually a nice bit of foreshadowing into Lafiel's character from the last episode. When Jinto asked her for her name she seemed really happy. I didn't find the general idea of her looking happy that strange as she could just be friendly or glad he asked in general but she seemed REALLY happy. The way she had such a big smile and how the camera was positioned and framed it seemed like the show wanted to really emphasize it. I certainly noticed it and just thought it perhaps some odd quirk or something as it happened but after the revelation about her it all makes sense now.

The conversation about how the different cultures reproduce and carry on was actually kind of interesting and a little weird. It seems with the Abh the choice is really up to you and you can do almost whatever you want in that regard. I felt bad for little Lafiel though and the artwork on her as she worried didn't help. Currently I would probably laugh at the idea just as Jinto did but being only eight as Lafiel was and growing up in that kind of culture I probably would have believed it too.

I'll tell people that's there's often more than one way to look at and interpret many things so it was kind of neat how the show sort of played with the wording to this episodes title or theme and it tries to set you up to expect one thing but then gives you a different interpretation that's just as obvious in the end.

TVEuK.jpg

The reality of it in the end though gives us a happy Lafiel. :)

I'm liking the ending song and it's nice to see the ending changes a little bit too. After these last couple episodes that may have been slower to some it looks like some action will happen in the next.

Jintor

On a side note, I eventually concluded that it wasn't that I really liked Kyon, it was just that I really like Tomokazu Sugita.

OceanBlue

How did you all watch it like that, wouldnt you like not know the events he refers too, etc?

They do a good job of conveying the information you need to know and Haruhi S1 had a lot of episodes that relied on only a very small amount of prior knowledge anyway. The only parts where chronological order mattered (episodes 1-4) were in chronological order.

If you ever feel like Kyon talks about what happened in the past episode a little too much, now you know why.

trejo

I just did a rewatch in preparation for the new season, and there were some great character moments in the last couple episodes of season 1 as well:Spoiler:
Taichi passing up the charity A rank promotion and telling Harada that he would never be a quitter was probably my favorite moment of the series
. So I'd recommend going back to finish it sometime.

I probably will. It is backlog season after all.

I guess I should feel lucky for loving the karuta antics as much as a I love the rest of Chihayafuru.

I feel the same. They anime builds up great tension in the karuta matches, and makes them a lot of fun to watch.

Plus, just about every match in the series has had some great character moments in them.

Madhouse certainly does try their very best to add some nice visual flare to the matches and the effort is quite commendable, no doubt. It's just that there is only so much you can do to make make karuta seem like an arresting activity for extended periods of time before the whole thing starts to lose its luster.

That and it has an awesome soundtrack.

Yes. The show reminds me of Space Brothers in the way it so expertly weaves the main theme throughout in order to emphasize meaningful scenes without it ever coming across as corny or overused. I love it.

Theonik

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water 11
more brown girl fanservice
Surely you could have at least taken the eyes? I don't like being reminded that the stuff I eat was once a living thing. The heart-shaped tomatoes are a great decoration though (where do they get the tomatoes anyway?)
Some great reaction shots in this episode. I was gonna say that this surely should have been a Sato storyboard, but a quick check on wiki tells me he didn't work with Anno until Evangelion. Oh well.
Here you go:
Cleaner version
ib0Jnmb3gx8NDE.png

wonzo

Banned
Little Busters! 14

So, continuing from last week...

Naoe Riki starts to forget about the real Nishizono Mio just as Midori said he would. Scared by this, he tells Kyousuke everything about this, Kyousuke tells him that he can't really do anything about it as he doesn't really feel the same way but offers him the next mission of "Do not trust". Riki takes this to heart and resolves not to forget about the real Nishizono. After a while, he suddenly remembers the time he inspired her to write a Tanka for the Tanka competition. He quickly runs to where they're being displayed and discovers her entry. With this, he reinvigorates his memory of her.

Riki suddenly notices Midori watching him in the classroom as ands him if he wants to know where Mio is. She says if he finds out then he's going to end ujp sad but he doesn't care and pushes on. Riki then finds himself at the beach and soon discovers the real Nishizono. Mio starts to explain she first met Midori when she noticed her in her reflection in the mirror when she was reading a children's book all alone. Hence, she actualises herself as Mio's imaginary little sister.
It then becomes clear that this world actually does have doctors and psychologists thus begging the question as to why any of this stupid fucking shit happens in the first place (maybe they're just incompetent? fucked if i know).

Anyways, as any sane parent would she forces Mio to get treatment for this troubling issue and thus Mio starts to seer Midori less and less thus gaining some semblance of sanity back. She soon completely forgets about Midori until she stumbles upon a poem, the very same poem she would constantly throughout the show. This causes her to collapse from the shock. When she awakens, she suddenly realises she lost a very important part of herself and since then has been carrying around a parasol (i guess this is when her shadow disappeared). She declares that she should've been the one to disappear, not Midori.

She says that Midori should be the one to enjoy herself in the Little Busters and that Riki should just forget her like the nobody she is so she can "go to that place, between the sky and the sea". She wishes to be alone so she can be herself and become eternal. She then says goodbye AND THEN TURNS INTO A BIRD AND FLIES OFF. Riki breaks down into tears and starts to forget everything about her until Midori calls him. Midori tells him to finish his mission to bring back Mio and says goodbye. He promises Midori that just as he never forgot Mio, he'll also never forget Midori either.

He then starts to madly run into the ocean to try and bring her back remembering how he too wanted to disappear when his parents died but didn't because everyone else would forget about him. He seemingly drowns only to have some weird dream where he reaches out to Mio and tells her that we're already all alone, that no-one can truly understand us and that's why we communicate with others. Mio soon realises that only by communicating with others can she become the real Nishizono and thanks her "sister" for everything she's done. They become one and thus Nishizono gets her shadow back.

jesus fuck how can people put shit like this on a pedestal???

HOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHWOWHWOWHJWIWHWIHOWHOWHOWOIGBLDBCNKLOUIHASOUIHLCIKUOLGBCAKUGFAGVY

OceanBlue

I'm not watching Little Busters, but I feel like having played the game makes wonzo's impressions even more hilarious.

Edit: Eww, this sentence sounds pretty bad. Too lazy to rephrase.

Kazzy

Watching it in chronological order makes the show run out of steam very quickly.

It ignores the established narrative structure, pretty much curtailing the mystery aspect in the process, along with any semblance of a logical conclusion. All of this just results in the viewer being thrown through an unsatisfying loop. Chronological order always seemed like nothing more than a gimmick to me, and I can't help but think it would detrimental to a newcomer's overall enjoyment of the show.

The fact that the whole thing is predicated on Kyon's unreliable narrator shtick, it feels weird to then suddenly reorder that sequence of events.

zeroshiki

Tamako Market - 01

As a very big K-On fan, I thought this episode was eh. I didn't mind the dude, actually. I thought he was interesting in the Taichi-friendzone kind of way but the bird was pretty annoying. I got the schtick they were going for but I don't understand why they'd ever take it in. The comedy is a little weak and I didn't get a sense of what they were going for plot-wise. Is this gonna be straight comedy or another slice of life?

Also, it seems like this show is gonna be based mainly in the shopping district and no the school it seems (considering the characters introduced) so that's a plus. The last show I remember being based on one is umm... Sore demo(?) while of course 90% of all anime in a season is based in a school.

The animation is, of course, top notch although I wish they'd do more to differentiate from K-On. The first scene with girls running around looked like it was Mio, Mugi and Yui walking home from school.

Dresden

Jojo - 14

Roundabout needed to kick in about ten seconds earlier. Not digging the cut they decided to use for this half of the show.

The pillar men look bad. Otherwise, fun stuff. Battle Tendency is the best.

wonzo

Banned
Because FEELS, Wonzo.
you'd have to be an incredibly stunted individual to feel like anything other than laughing or being completely stunned in horror at how poorly written this fucking piece of shit is. THEY MANAGED TO OUTDO THE FUCKING FOX FROM KANON FOR FUCKS SAKE

chihayafuru s2 1

chihaya is still hilarious. cast is all still fairly strong. Visuals are still pleasing. Good stuff. hope shoujo girl isn't reoccuring (probably is).

Theonik

Crest of the Stars 03
I was actually wondering when you'd post this earlier today and if you put it on hold. Really enjoying reading your impressions on this so far. You should also watch the Birth OVA after the series. Fits in quite nicely with some of the sub-plots in this episode.

Steroyd

you'd have to be an incredibly stunted individual to feel like anything other than laughing or being completely stunned in horror at how poorly written this fucking piece of shit is. THEY MANAGED TO OUTDO THE FUCKING FOX FROM KANON FOR FUCKS SAKE

And Fuuka.

They managed to outdo the Fuuka arc in Clannad, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS POSSIBLE!!

Joe Molotov

Watching it in chronological order makes the show run out of steam very quickly.

Yeah, the first time I watched it was when DVD collection came out, and it was not good. In chronological order, the show climaxes in the middle with all kinds of crazy shit going on in like Episode 6, then the series finale is Kyon going to get a fucking heater. I was like "wait, is that it?" until I went online and found out what happened.

Tamako Market - 01

As a very big K-On fan, I thought this episode was eh. I didn't mind the dude, actually. I thought he was interesting in the Taichi-friendzone kind of way but the bird was pretty annoying. I got the schtick they were going for but I don't understand why they'd ever take it in. The comedy is a little weak and I didn't get a sense of what they were going for plot-wise. Is this gonna be straight comedy or another slice of life?

Also, it seems like this show is gonna be based mainly in the shopping district and no the school it seems (considering the characters introduced) so that's a plus. The last show I remember being based on one is umm... Sore demo(?) while of course 90% of all anime in a season is based in a school.

The animation is, of course, top notch although I wish they'd do more to differentiate from K-On. The first scene with girls running around looked like it was Mio, Mugi and Yui walking home from school.

Yeah, that's basically how I see it too, though I'm not sure how they could have done better laying out the setting when they have so many characters to introduce. I'm sure it will get better when they get around to fleshing out the characters.

Jintor

Yeah, the first time I watched it was when DVD collection came out, and it was not good. In chronological order, the show climaxes in the middle with all kinds of crazy shit going on in like Episode 6, then the series finale is Kyon going to get a fucking heater. I was like "wait, is that it?" until I went online and found out what happened.

To be fair, Someday in the Rain is an excellent episode for putting on and just vegging out to

it has, what, a minute straight of Yuki sitting in a room quietly reading a book? GENIUS

Jarmel

Banned
No I meant the Egyptian thing.

Eureka Seven 15

So this was a pretty slow episode, but the last couple minutes of it still paid off nicely. Renton with balls means that, like all True Men, Renton has to learn not to be a cocky bastard. I'm not sure if Eureka is pissed because Renton killed a ton of guys with the Nirvash, or because silly anime robot personality ish. In any case, the pay off of the episode was Renton's uncle, who had spent the entire episode trying to lie to keep Renton safe, is taken off to jail, looking pretty upset at the same time that Renton is having his super cocky moment, illustrating that Renton's actions are getting people hurt without his knowledge.

So while the episode was slow, the end of it was pretty good.

I actually liked that episode a lot because of how badass Renton was at the end of it.

Branduil

jesus fuck how can people put shit like this on a pedestal???

HOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHOWHWOWHWOWHJWIWHWIHOWHOWHOWOIGBLDBCNKLOUIHASOUIHLCIKUOLGBCAKUGFAGVY

What other people seem to condemn as illogical or stupid in this show, I accept and enjoy as part of the show’s style.

Not everything has to be constructed like 19th-century naturalistic fiction. We post-20th century readers/viewers can accept stories that sketch characters rather than drawing them in detail, and that jump quickly from event to event, rather than hand-holding us through everything.

Conveying the feelings of the characters is what counts, and this show is doing it, for me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What other people seem to condemn as illogical or stupid in this show, I accept and enjoy as part of the show’s style.

Not everything has to be constructed like 19th-century naturalistic fiction. We post-20th century readers/viewers can accept stories that sketch characters rather than drawing them in detail, and that jump quickly from event to event, rather than hand-holding us through everything.

Conveying the feelings of the characters is what counts, and this show is doing it, for me.
Silly Branduil, kayos is gonna come in and not realise this is an animesuki parody post.

wonzo

Banned
Hyouka 11.5

hyouka11.5.jpg

dat character development

This episode actually did a pretty good job of tying up the end of the film club arc and laid down the foundations for the underlying themes of the following festival arc. I'll definitely have to re-watch the series with this when all the BD's are done.

You almost had me there!

Go_Ly_Dow

Shinsekai Yori/From the new World -15

Loved this episode, easily the best show this season.

Seeing Squealer evolve from a weedy coward to a aggressive commander is just terrifying. Felt really bad for the colony that was subjected to the attack

Let them live in peace!

Branduil

Oh hey it's finally released in non-youtube-circa-2006 format.

Mochi definitely reminds me of something, actually, what I think it reminds me of, in terms of texture, is Peeps, just without the ridiculous layer of sugar on the outside. Still don't get the sweet bean paste thing, although I guess it's more nutritious than Twinkie filling.

Dresden

Mochi definitely reminds me of something, actually, what I think it reminds me of, in terms of texture, is Peeps, just without the ridiculous layer of sugar on the outside. Still don't get the sweet bean paste thing, although I guess it's more nutritious than Twinkie filling.
Sweet red beans are the best. Goes well on shaved ice as well. I guess it might feel weird if you didn't grow up eating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom