• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I don't think Disappearance's problem is really that it's too "long". Rather the problem is that it should have ended at a certain scene, and just left that as it is instead of continuing. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about! :D

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't think Disappearance's problem is really that it's too "long". Rather the problem is that it should have ended at a certain scene, and just left that as it is instead of continuing. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about! :D

You are way too cruel.

Shakugan no Shanatan Begins

YXLlU.jpg
6mNll.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the day where she actually uses the melonpan as an actual attack.

Grzi

Tamako Market - 01

Not what I expected and I'm not really sure I liked it but I'll keep watching since it's KyoAni.

cajunator

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 01

Ohhhh how I missed you Chihayafuru!
Still great music. Still great art style. Still the same loveable Chihaya and Kana is cute as ever.
So it appears that the Karuta Club is entering a new School Year. Chihaya and the others recruit new members, but most of them seem attracted to either her or Taichi. Still she wants to teach them how to play the game, but it could cut into her own practice time to play for the championship this year. She really loves this game so much. One of the students
who joined because she is interested in Taichi sees a poem that particularly resonates with her.
that was kind of cute. I love this show SO FUCKING MUCH.
Great OP/ED too. My favorite is still the original OP though. So catchy.
This show better get released on disc.

Digimon Adventure 49 - 54 (end)

Pretty good conclusion, I guess this was a good start to the digimon anime and kind of cant wait for the next season to release March. Story could have been a tad bit better or olderish focused in terms of characters but over all pretty cool. Best ones were TK (cant wait for older TK) with the best digimon path of Patoman and that epic evolution
Magna angemon needed to be shown way more way better than Wargreymon
. Matt and Tai were also good, prefer Matt a bit more as I liked his story and background and wanting to protect everyone and TK too, actually best for him was
when he awakens from his dark side and rushes in and he and Tai have that heartfelt friendship moment to yield, the crest of friendship completely recovering Wargreymon
. I thought weakness were just the overall way for how the enemies were and just the whole second half not really caring much about them. I hope in the future we have human antagonists? Just for human v human things, and the music wasnt all that good. 6.

Good bonus sketches in the two gallerys on the dvd.

BluWacky

For those interested in this kind of stuff, here's some nice Card Captor Sakura sakuga.

I've always loved that sequence; for an NHK show with a forced educational element aimed at pre-teen girls, CCS always had great action.

I don't know whether it's a CLAMP thing as I don't remember it from many other shows, but I love the "tendrils" of water/wind that you get in this sequence siphoning off from the main body of the liquid/gas. It reminds me a lot of the trails around the girls in the Rayearth opening sequences, for instance.

cajunator

Banned
I've always loved that sequence; for an NHK show with a forced educational element aimed at pre-teen girls, CCS always had great action.

I don't know whether it's a CLAMP thing as I don't remember it from many other shows, but I love the "tendrils" of water/wind that you get in this sequence siphoning off from the main body of the liquid/gas. It reminds me a lot of the trails around the girls in the Rayearth opening sequences, for instance.

I don't think thats unique to Clamp. I'm pretty sure I've seen other examples of that in older shows before. Cant think of specifics at the moment.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It depends on which scene you're thinking of! The one I'm thinking of is really funny!

Now I'm sure we're thinking about the same thing.

Damn. Hahaha.

Digimon Adventure 49 - 54 (end)

Pretty good conclusion, I guess this was a good start to the digimon anime and kind of cant wait for the next season to release March. Story could have been a tad bit better or olderish focused in terms of characters but over all pretty cool. Best ones were TK (cant wait for older TK) with the best digimon path of Patoman and that epic evolution
Magna angemon needed to be shown way more way better than Wargreymon
. Matt and Tai were also good, prefer Matt a bit more as I liked his story and background and wanting to protect everyone and TK too, actually best for him was
when he awakens from his dark side and rushes in and he and Tai have that heartfelt friendship moment to yield, the crest of friendship completely recovering Wargreymon
. I thought weakness were just the overall way for how the enemies were and just the whole second half not really caring much about them. I hope in the future we have human antagonists? Just for human v human things, and the music wasnt all that good. 6.

Good bonus sketches in the two gallerys on the dvd.

I need to rewatch this eventually. So many good memories.

cajunator

Banned
I enjoyed this back in the day... memories of it are inexplicably bound to memories of Angelic Layer which I also enjoyed immensely :)

Yes. angelic Layer is fantastic as well. I'm so glad to own both of them.
Would buy Us blurays in a split second if they were available.
Angelic Layer had some fun action with the battle dolls and the story concerning Misaki and her mother turned out to be really great. The nurse angel is probably the cutest one. Really REALLY fun show that I recommend to anyone.

Moonlight

Banned
Tsuritama Episode 1

Alright, so it was a bit late yesterday, so I put off watching this until this morning. I don't know what I was expecting, but I definitely was not expecting this. That was... well, something else. But let's get the elephant out of the room first. I am incredibly impressed by the aesthetics of the show. The use of colour is fantastic, and the backgrounds simply pop. It's all quite visually arresting, maybe not in the way that Hyouka, for instance, ever was, but amazing all the same.

Definitely a strong introductory episode, though. I didn't have any trouble getting into it. There's this confidence in how it presents some of the utterly bizarre things going on that I really like. It reminds me of Humanity Has Declined, in that sense. I also loved the way it represented Yuki's anxiety as water foaming over his head. It's fairly straightforward, but clever all the same. And leads the absolutely fantastic scene that occurs as Yuki is yanked out from the water by the tug of the fishing rod.

It's a bit early to form any real opinions on any of the characters, although I can't see myself being too big a fan of Haru. He got a little better as the episode progressed (he seemed to drop the weird 'bibibibi' thing). I do like Yuki, though, and I'm interested to see what's up the part-timer's butt.

With that all said, I'm not sure how this flew under my radar. It really has me hooked.

Guess I'll have to check out Code Breaker now.

The
Haruhi in the sleeping bag
scene has to stay.

trejo

The length of Hyouka arguments proves that the "it's boring" brigade is full of shit. If it was just a boring show there wouldn't be enough to talk about for so many pages.

I don't understand how you came to that conclusion, especially when it's usually the same arguments being regurgitated back and forth every time across both sides of the fence. That's not really indicative of the quality of what's being discussed, it's indicative that people are stubborn in their opinion.

Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!! Who wants to burn their eyes?

I just skimmed through a youtube video of some German in a Japanese female high school bathing suit licking all his figurines.

I dare you to watch it...

I managed to withstand five seconds.

I don't know what I was expecting.

You killed him. Blood is on your hands.

M_Night strikes again!

Ultimadrago

In reality it wasn't even that funny to watch. The humour came from dissecting the show. Anyone watch it without the aid of AnimeGAF has my pity.

The only Sword Art Online humor that required AnimeGAF's aid for the latter half was the Kanna-Gintama gif being fixed appropriately (Props to DakkuMauji). Aside from that, I laughed plenty simply from the events contained within
and reading fellow reactions to such events afterwards

That Mnight introduction/exposing style. It's quite signature.

Theonik

For those interested in this kind of stuff, here's some nice Card Captor Sakura sakuga.
The related video lead me to this. Quite a cool piece of Mechanical animation.
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion, especially when it's usually the same arguments being regurgitated back and forth every time across both sides of the fence. That's not really indicative of the quality of what's being discussed, it's indicative that people are stubborn in their opinion.
Boringness has nothing to do with the quality of the content either as it cannot be quantified. Though, by definition, if the show was just boring there wouldn't be anything to discuss and it was more than just 1 or 2 arguments as well. Lots of things were discussed.

Andrew J.

Vividred Operation 01

I wonder if there are enough technological girl shows to qualify as a subgenre now. CG machines looked all right here, let's hope the real fight scenes don't look too weird.

Mr.Jeff

So after lurking for a long while, I finally got round to registering....

I've not really completed many series in the last 12 months (a screening featuring Nerawareta Gakuen and Wolf Children was probably one of the last things) but figured the new season would be something to get in on. Mainly since there's very few shows on it that look worthwhile.

That said, I gather Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito is one of the series newcomers are subjected to required to watch?

Theonik

Getting old with no one to replace them as the skillset isn't in demand.
In addition pay for traditional 2D animation is much lower than CG animation. As a result, many young animators prefer to pursue that career path so shows are left with very slim options if they want to go the traditional route for mechanical animation which is also much slower and less iterative than CG. Mechanical animation is dying in the most literal of senses as the few people that practice it pass away or retire.

DiGiKerot

I've not really completed many series in the last 12 months (a screening featuring Nerawareta Gakuen and Wolf Children was probably one of the last things) but figured the new season would be something to get in on.

SLA? What'd you make of NeraGaku anyway? Most of the other people I've talked to who were at the Edinburgh screening hated the movie...

Taruranto

Servant Ranking Time!

Rider(Z)>>>Archer(SN)=Archer(Z)>Caster(Z)>Outside Archer(SN)>Lancer(Z)>Saber(SN)>Berserker(Z)>Fake Assassin(SN)>Lancer(SN)>Caster(SN)>Rider(SN)>Saber(Z)>Berserker(SN)>True Assassin(Z)=True Assassin(SN)
Type Mercury (ORT) = Ado Edem > Type Jupiter ≥ Type Saturn > The Six Sisters ≥ Type Pluto > Type Moon (Crimson Moon) = ArcheType Earth (Arcueid) ≥ Type Venus > Balor of the Evil Eye ≥ Arcueid (50% (post Roa's death)) > Primordial Demons > Primate Murder > Angra Mainyu > Zelretch (young) > Counter Guardian Archer > Gilgamesh > Arcueid (30%) > Lancelot (F-15) > Dark Sakura > Dark Saber > Saber > Zero Caster's Sea Demon > Lancelot > 5th Berserker > Dark Berserker ≥ Original Roa > 17th Roa (Elesia) > 4th Rider > Merem Solomon > 5th Lancer ≥ 4th Lancer = Archer ≥ 5th Rider > 4th Caster > 5th Caster = Nrvnqsr > Clairvoyant Fujino = Kurogiri > Kouma > 4th Assassin > 5th Assassin > Aoko > Barthomeloi ≥ Arcueid (6%) > Kojirou = Ciel ≥ Kotomine (young) = "Ryougi Shiki" = Soren Araya (within the Ogawa Building) > Gun God (Black Barrel) > Night of Wallachia ≥ Touko = Kayneth El-Melloi > Leysritt > Sion Tatari = Melty Blood Satsuki = R. Shiki ≥ Akiha = Asagami Fujino = 18th Roa > Tohno SHIKI = Alba = Heaven's Feel Shirou = Kiri > Nanaya Shiki = Reinforced Kuzuki > Sion = UBW Shirou = Waver = Bazett > Avenger = Rin = Luvia = Kotomine > Zouken > Kiritsugu > Irisviel > Maiya = Tsukihime Satsuki = Lio = Avalon Shirou = Ilya = Kariya > Sakura > Len > Kirie = Caren = Meruka > Azaka > The Dead = Possessed Corpse = Misayo = Dragon Tooth Warrior = Fuji-nee > Gun God (unequipped) > Fake Shiki = Ryuunosuke ≥ Tomoe > Keita San ≥ Shinji > Hisui = Kohaku

Mr.Jeff

SLA? What'd you make of NeraGaku anyway? Most of the other people I've talked to who were at the Edinburgh screening hated the movie...
Yeah SLA. I kinda liked it? Or rather I enjoyed about two thirds of it. Everything's ridiculous shiny with lens flares but really the most off-putting thing about the film was the story.

It makes an obscure sense as it plods its way through and then for the last 25/30 minutes they decide to cram in everything they forgot to tell you in a really confusing way and for the final scene you can almost hear them say "Look this bit is emotional because of REASONS."

For all that though, I liked it kinda and wouldn't mind rewatching it.

trejo

So after lurking for a long while, I finally got round to registering....

I've not really completed many series in the last 12 months (a screening featuring Nerawareta Gakuen and Wolf Children was probably one of the last things) but figured the new season would be something to get in on. Mainly since there's very few shows on it that look worthwhile.

That said, I gather Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito is one of the series newcomers are subjected to required to watch?

Welcome to animeGAF! Despite appearances we don't all really hate each other all that much here.

As for your question, only if you want to tackle the challenge and only if you think you're ready for it. Yami is not a beast one can take on unprepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom