• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Type Mercury (ORT) = Ado Edem > Type Jupiter ≥ Type Saturn > The Six Sisters ≥ Type Pluto > Type Moon (Crimson Moon) = ArcheType Earth (Arcueid) ≥ Type Venus > Balor of the Evil Eye ≥ Arcueid (50% (post Roa's death)) > Primordial Demons > Primate Murder > Angra Mainyu > Zelretch (young) > Counter Guardian Archer > Gilgamesh > Arcueid (30%) > Lancelot (F-15) > Dark Sakura > Dark Saber > Saber > Zero Caster's Sea Demon > Lancelot > 5th Berserker > Dark Berserker ≥ Original Roa > 17th Roa (Elesia) > 4th Rider > Merem Solomon > 5th Lancer ≥ 4th Lancer = Archer ≥ 5th Rider > 4th Caster > 5th Caster = Nrvnqsr > Clairvoyant Fujino = Kurogiri > Kouma > 4th Assassin > 5th Assassin > Aoko > Barthomeloi ≥ Arcueid (6%) > Kojirou = Ciel ≥ Kotomine (young) = "Ryougi Shiki" = Soren Araya (within the Ogawa Building) > Gun God (Black Barrel) > Night of Wallachia ≥ Touko = Kayneth El-Melloi > Leysritt > Sion Tatari = Melty Blood Satsuki = R. Shiki ≥ Akiha = Asagami Fujino = 18th Roa > Tohno SHIKI = Alba = Heaven's Feel Shirou = Kiri > Nanaya Shiki = Reinforced Kuzuki > Sion = UBW Shirou = Waver = Bazett > Avenger = Rin = Luvia = Kotomine > Zouken > Kiritsugu > Irisviel > Maiya = Tsukihime Satsuki = Lio = Avalon Shirou = Ilya = Kariya > Sakura > Len > Kirie = Caren = Meruka > Azaka > The Dead = Possessed Corpse = Misayo = Dragon Tooth Warrior = Fuji-nee > Gun God (unequipped) > Fake Shiki = Ryuunosuke ≥ Tomoe > Keita San ≥ Shinji > Hisui = Kohaku

Welp.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama Episode 1

Alright, so it was a bit late yesterday, so I put off watching this until this morning. I don't know what I was expecting, but I definitely was not expecting this. That was... well, something else. But let's get the elephant out of the room first. I am incredibly impressed by the aesthetics of the show. The use of colour is fantastic, and the backgrounds simply pop. It's all quite visually arresting, maybe not in the way that Hyouka, for instance, ever was, but amazing all the same.

Definitely a strong introductory episode, though. I didn't have any trouble getting into it. There's this confidence in how it presents some of the utterly bizarre things going on that I really like. It reminds me of Humanity Has Declined, in that sense. I also loved the way it represented Yuki's anxiety as water foaming over his head. It's fairly straightforward, but clever all the same. And leads the absolutely fantastic scene that occurs as Yuki is yanked out from the water by the tug of the fishing rod.

It's a bit early to form any real opinions on any of the characters, although I can't see myself being too big a fan of Haru. He got a little better as the episode progressed (he seemed to drop the weird 'bibibibi' thing). I do like Yuki, though, and I'm interested to see what's up the part-timer's butt.

With that all said, I'm not sure how this flew under my radar. It really has me hooked.

Guess I'll have to check out Code Breaker now.

Please refrain from posting anywhere outside of the safe, nurturing cocoon of AnimeGAF until you reach full membership. We can't risk losing you!

So after lurking for a long while, I finally got round to registering....

I've not really completed many series in the last 12 months (a screening featuring Nerawareta Gakuen and Wolf Children was probably one of the last things) but figured the new season would be something to get in on. Mainly since there's very few shows on it that look worthwhile.

That said, I gather Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito is one of the series newcomers are subjected to required to watch?

oh god we're even corrupting lurkers now. Is this why more people don't post? Because they're afraid that the List Gauntlet is mandatory? i'm so sorry everyone

Clannad ep 1 - 2
tumblr_mf467f9jOH1ric7y8o3_500.gif

Clannad has some pretty funny moments, always feeling sorry for Youhei Sunohara (fav english va). Though I hope he and Tomoyo keep having these meetings. He's also pretty funny for Tomoya Okazaki, those best friend moments are great, though both dont seem to socialize much beyond each other and the class treats them kind of not good :(. Oh well curious where the plot goes and all of that, hope the drama club forms.

ED is awful
Mystery girl in the op sequence in lonely world is odd and thought provoking, theres supernatural elements in this?

Kurita

Freeter Ie wo Kau 7
Not sure if I'll be able to hold all these feels any longer.
The party at the end was pretty funny and heartwarming.

Seiji's father is cool now.
That step-mother can go fuck herself though.

cajunator

Banned
urusai urusai urusai !!

shana-tan is alright ... and the lovely and cute marjory daw

True ...good things

Marjory is cute I will give you that. Always liked her.

So after lurking for a long while, I finally got round to registering....

I've not really completed many series in the last 12 months (a screening featuring Nerawareta Gakuen and Wolf Children was probably one of the last things) but figured the new season would be something to get in on. Mainly since there's very few shows on it that look worthwhile.

That said, I gather Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito is one of the series newcomers are subjected to required to watch?

Yami is amazing. 10/10 amazing.

BluWacky

For all that though, I liked it kinda and wouldn't mind rewatching it.

Come join me in the secret NeraGaku fan corner. I'll spend half an hour going BUT IT'S IN THE ORIGINAL NOVEL WHICH NO-ONE'S EVER READ and convince you
and maybe myself
of its greatness eventually :p

DiGiKerot

Come join me in the secret NeraGaku fan corner. I'll spend half an hour going BUT IT'S IN THE ORIGINAL NOVEL WHICH NO-ONE'S EVER READ and convince you
and maybe myself

The week when it gets released on BD in Japan is going to be HILARIOUS, especially if the Japanese BD had subtitles on it (it's a Sunrise production, so it seems likely it will given current trends).

Mr.Jeff

As for your question, only if you want to tackle the challenge and only if you think you're ready for it. Yami is not a beast one can take on unprepared.
It surely can't be worse than some of the garbage I've watched in my time. I'd like to say some of it was due to youth and inexperience but I'd be partly lying.

Still, you have to take the good with the bad and from the first 14 minutes of Yami all I've gathered from it thus far is that foreheads are a thing.

and maybe myself
If there had been someone somewhere who could have sat down and patiently explained the entirety of the last 30 minutes afterwards, I probably would have said that it was great at the time.

As it stands until such a breakdown is made perhaps using simplified paint doodles, it'll probably stay at merely "good".

I've re-read a very spoilery post I made about the story at the time and I honestly can't believe all that happened.

BluWacky

From The New World 14-15

An improvement over ep 13 to be sure. While the show is most definitely talky, the content continues to be well written and interesting.

I couldn't agree more with duckroll's assessment of Squealer's character - absolutely a "love to hate" situation.

Mouryou no Hako 1

As much as I recommend this show to people, I've never actually finished it. I've watched this first episode about four or five times, and got to about episode 5 or 6 on my last attempt, but it requires so much concentration that I can't watch it passively. I'm hoping "backlog season" will give me the kick I need to watch the whole thing.

It's just as strong an opener as I remember - beautiful and intriguing (and very creepy). I don't know who came up with the idea for Kiba's PTSD sequence but it's truly wonderful, amongst many other moments.

A piece of trivia you may all be interested in is to do with the episode title. Translated literally, it's "The Five Death Signs Of An Angel". This is, however, the original title of a book known in English as "The Decay Of The Angel", from Yukio Mishima's Sea of Tranquility series of novels. You may be interested in reading the book's Wikipedia entry and noting the thematic similarities with what transpires in the first episode.

Ultimadrago

Why would delicious food be NSFW? Where are you working at?

A bunch of gutter minds in here!

Mouryou no Hako 1

A piece of trivia you may all be interested in is to do with the episode title. Translated literally, it's "The Five Death Signs Of An Angel". This is, however, the original title of a book known in English as "The Decay Of The Angel", from Yukio Mishima's Sea of Tranquility series of novels. You may be interested in reading the book's Wikipedia entry and noting the thematic similarities with what transpires in the first episode.

Neat, I'll check that out. Thanks.

DiGiKerot

If there had been someone somewhere who could have sat down and patiently explained the entirety of the last 30 minutes afterwards, I probably would have said that it was great at the time.

I had Mr Wacky attempting to explain chunks of it prior to Blood-C, and it at least helped a little. He wrote up at bunch of stuff here later which at least made a little more sense out of the whole thing.

But, yeah, that movie has a really weird, impenetrable ending.

Jarmel

Banned
Type Mercury (ORT) = Ado Edem > Type Jupiter ≥ Type Saturn > The Six Sisters ≥ Type Pluto > Type Moon (Crimson Moon) = ArcheType Earth (Arcueid) ≥ Type Venus > Balor of the Evil Eye ≥ Arcueid (50% (post Roa's death)) > Primordial Demons > Primate Murder > Angra Mainyu > Zelretch (young) > Counter Guardian Archer > Gilgamesh > Arcueid (30%) > Lancelot (F-15) > Dark Sakura > Dark Saber > Saber > Zero Caster's Sea Demon > Lancelot > 5th Berserker > Dark Berserker ≥ Original Roa > 17th Roa (Elesia) > 4th Rider > Merem Solomon > 5th Lancer ≥ 4th Lancer = Archer ≥ 5th Rider > 4th Caster > 5th Caster = Nrvnqsr > Clairvoyant Fujino = Kurogiri > Kouma > 4th Assassin > 5th Assassin > Aoko > Barthomeloi ≥ Arcueid (6%) > Kojirou = Ciel ≥ Kotomine (young) = "Ryougi Shiki" = Soren Araya (within the Ogawa Building) > Gun God (Black Barrel) > Night of Wallachia ≥ Touko = Kayneth El-Melloi > Leysritt > Sion Tatari = Melty Blood Satsuki = R. Shiki ≥ Akiha = Asagami Fujino = 18th Roa > Tohno SHIKI = Alba = Heaven's Feel Shirou = Kiri > Nanaya Shiki = Reinforced Kuzuki > Sion = UBW Shirou = Waver = Bazett > Avenger = Rin = Luvia = Kotomine > Zouken > Kiritsugu > Irisviel > Maiya = Tsukihime Satsuki = Lio = Avalon Shirou = Ilya = Kariya > Sakura > Len > Kirie = Caren = Meruka > Azaka > The Dead = Possessed Corpse = Misayo = Dragon Tooth Warrior = Fuji-nee > Gun God (unequipped) > Fake Shiki = Ryuunosuke ≥ Tomoe > Keita San ≥ Shinji > Hisui = Kohaku

Is there even enough background info to do a list like this?

Theonik

AKB0048 NEXT STAGE 02
Pretty lewd episode wasn't expecting that. The SSSS cult stuff rabbit hole deepens too. Prediction:
Chieri's father is interested in weaponising the collective starpower of the Kirara and Sensei Sensei the DES are all a distraction to hide his true plans to then use it to take over the world and DES attacks are all just a ploy to push these goals.

Smile! PreCure 05
iFtArxSlmuBf6.png
i52FTw16kHzSJ.png

Moe-blobs doing moe blob things.
This episode introduces even more confusing holes in the "PreCure are just pre-programmed to use their catch-phrases theory as this happens Cure Peace claims to be doing this pose on purpose that flies contrary to the theory meaning that sunny on episode 2 also came up with the other one but was embarrassed by it afterwards which makes no sense. I won't dwell on this too much though. This episode also gave us some other mind-boggling shit like this when earlier on the same people we had this discussion where all of them suggest to the 5th PreCure that she should be a PreCure (making the former line pretty odd while not being the only reason for it either) *also I originally took that screen because that's ICE COLD
explains her powers too so there's that!
Majorina looks like she could be a cool villain at least. So we have
An Oni, the big bad wolf and a witch consistent with the children's stories/fairytale theme I guess.
we also got some stopsexualisingprecures.jpg and :SDBurton so I guess there's that to write as a plus.

Ultimadrago

I'm simply not Type enough.

Mr.Jeff

I had Mr Wacky attempting to explain chunks of it prior to Blood-C, and it at least helped a little. He wrote up at bunch of stuff here later which at least made a little more sense out of the whole thing.

But, yeah, that movie has a really weird, impenetrable ending.
Funnily enough, I remember searching the thread at the time thinking "surely someone on NeoGAF must have seen it" and being disappointed. Clearly, I searched too soon.

That post does help somewhat but it still leaves me puzzling over some details such as:
Why does the grandfather clutch his heart when Kenji and Kyogoku go to the future?

How the hell does Kenji come back if it's meant to be a one-way trip?

Although hazy memory of the film does seem to suggest that Kenji only exists in the first place because when he was younger, there was an accident with him and his childhood friend psychic'd the shit out of him so he would be fine thus granting him powers?

The more I remember about the film, the more I want to watch it again. In slow motion. While taking notes.

Still, Wolf Children and Afterschool Midnighters balanced out the puzzle fest of Nerawareta Gakuen.

Edit: Yami - 01: How tight must those bandages be to conceal a rack of that size and convince people that you're a man?

cajunator

Banned
Funnily enough, I remember searching the thread at the time thinking "surely someone on NeoGAF must have seen it" and being disappointed. Clearly, I searched too soon.

That post does help somewhat but it still leaves me puzzling over some details such as:
Why does the grandfather clutch his heart when Kenji and Kyogoku go to the future?

How the hell does Kenji come back if it's meant to be a one-way trip?

Although hazy memory of the film does seem to suggest that Kenji only exists in the first place because when he was younger, there was an accident with him and his childhood friend psychic'd the shit out of him so he would be fine thus granting him powers?

The more I remember about the film, the more I want to watch it again. In slow motion. While taking notes.

Still, Wolf Children and Afterschool Midnighters balanced out the puzzle fest of Nerawareta Gakuen.

Edit: Yami - 01: How tight must those bandages be to conceal a rack of that size and convince people that you're a man?

Ohhh you started yami <3
*bounces around excitedly waiting for impressions

Mr.Jeff

Wow, Afterschool Midnighters. Now there's a weird movie that no-one else in this thread is likely to have seen, though looking it up now it looks like the Japanese BD has English subtitles...
Oh it's a peach if you go in expecting nothing like I did. The CG is a little disconcerting at first and it's obviously a movie aimed at kids but I had a lot of fun with it. Some ridiculous gags in there. Worth some spare time if you have it.

Ohhh you started yami <3
*bounces around excitedly waiting for impressions
I'm not sure I can live up to those expectations...
First episode didn't make a whole lot of sense beyond some forbidden sister love and the incomprehensible breast camouflage but I guess it's not meant to yet.

cajunator

Banned
Oh it's a peach if you go in expecting nothing like I did. The CG is a little disconcerting at first and it's obviously a movie aimed at kids but I had a lot of fun with it. Some ridiculous gags in there. Worth some spare time if you have it.

First episode didn't make a whole lot of sense beyond some forbidden sister love and the incomprehensible breast camouflage but I guess it's not meant to yet.

eheheheheheee!

Syrinx

Sure...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom